• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - PS4 Beta |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

molnizzle

As Alucrid said, auto-attacking is hitting the enemy with your weapon. I believe it works like this (but I may have things a bit wrong): On melee classes (and archer), auto-attacks will be weaved into your rotation as long as your are in range, as the weapon attack distance is the same as the basic skills distance. For casters, it works essentially the same way, but where caster skills are ranged, the weapon itself is not: for instance if an arcanist wants to hit monsters over the head with their book, they have to stand in melee range to do so.

Right. But I can also whack away at enemies with my staff to deal what is commonly referred to as "white damage" in other MMO's. In this one, I have to manually toggle my auto-attack "ability" to make that happen. I would like for it to be toggled automatically whenever I activate one of my damage-dealing abilities.

Squire

Banned
Is that free month talk just about the free month that comes with the game? Or are they rewarding beta players with a free month if they buy the game which means 2 months?

It's simply about what comes with the game. You get a free month for each version you buy and they stack. That's nice.

IMBored

Right. But I can also whack away at enemies with my staff to deal what is commonly referred to as "white damage" in other MMO's. In this one, I have to manually toggle my auto-attack "ability" to make that happen. I would like for it to be toggled automatically whenever I activate one of my damage-dealing abilities.

Maybe it's made that way to prevent unintentionally pulling agro. What's the best way to target friendly's not in party?

Also, what servers are you all going to next phase?

Absolutely love this game. Even though I played the shit out of it before, I was happy to play around in the beta as well. Played around with 3 different characters, one going all the way to lvl 20, the other two reaching at least 15 or 16. Best FF game in years.

Unfortunately, what I don't like about the game is the reason everyone else plays it - for the dungeons. I loathe the dungeons - having to rely on other people, being bitched out for not tanking correctly when I fucking know I am. Hate that part of the game. If I could solo this game completely I would, but it's an MMO so that's being a bit unrealistic. So I probably won't play the final game that much, even though it plays much smoother on PS4 than it did on PS3.

Caster classes will not want to be in melee range and they will not be wasting time waiting for auto-attacks to come out because they will be casting during all of their uptime.

At endgame you will be squeezing in spell casts while dodging tightly timed one-shot kill boss mechanics. And you will not be anywhere near melee range, the emotionally scarred melee dps in this game can tell you all their stories about how bosses have a ton of mechanics designed to kill melee dps which the ranged dps can completely ignore.

edit: Okay, I can think of one or two exceptions where the whole party stands in melee range, but you still won't be standing around doing nothing. You'll be casting and dodging all the stuff the boss is flinging at you.

Rising_Hei

Caster classes will not want to be in melee range and they will not be wasting time waiting for auto-attacks to come out because they will be casting during all of their uptime.

At endgame you will be squeezing in spell casts while dodging tightly timed one-shot kill boss mechanics. And you will not be anywhere near melee range, the emotionally scarred melee dps in this game can tell you all their stories about how bosses have a ton of mechanics designed to kill melee dps which the ranged dps can completely ignore.

edit: Okay, I can think of one or two exceptions where the whole party stands in melee range, but you still won't be standing around doing nothing. You'll be casting and dodging all the stuff the boss is flinging at you.

Most are excuses, the only fight that is annoying for MELEE is Garuda, and even in that 1 once you learn the fight you can DPS a lot and not ever eat whicked wheel

A Melee DPS has to be much more competent than a ranged DPS to do good, but if they are... no one can even get close to the dmg they deal (if they don't die lol)

Unfortunately, what I don't like about the game is the reason everyone else plays it - for the dungeons. I loathe the dungeons - having to rely on other people, being bitched out for not tanking correctly when I fucking know I am. Hate that part of the game. If I could solo this game completely I would, but it's an MMO so that's being a bit unrealistic. So I probably won't play the final game that much, even though it plays much smoother on PS4 than it did on PS3.

Yeah, I'm the opposite - I love the game, but hate how most of it is designed for solo play; it makes it so when you are partying through the whole game, the game is super boringly easy outside of dungeons and boss fights. The game, like all modern MMO's I guess, can't make up its mind if it's an MMO or a single player game. This is what I really liked about FFXI - it knew it was an MMO, you could only solo to around level 10 before you HAD to party up even just to survive in the wilderness (though it was fun to metal-gear-solid from town to town too).

Ardenyal

being bitched out for not tanking correctly when I fucking know I am. Hate that part of the game.

Started happening to me aswell around level 20 when I started the PS3 version a few days ago.

Some random asshat (usually a bard) intentionally pulls aggro before I even get a chance to get set up.

aceface

Is the beta still going, or did they shut it down? I was hoping it was midnight tonight PST. Never got a chance to get to Ifrit >_<

Edit:

For full release, join the GAF Free Company on the Ultros server. We're all pretty chill about this stuff. At least you won't get yelled at for tanking correctly.

Milly79

Think I'm going to settle on pug for full release. It's too damn fun. Also, is it cconfirmed you have to load the ps3 version to get the 30 days? I literally know no one with one.

Minions are cool , but they don't do much except folliwng you around right ?
Only the pet can attack , am i right on that aspect ?

Absolutely love this game. Even though I played the shit out of it before, I was happy to play around in the beta as well. Played around with 3 different characters, one going all the way to lvl 20, the other two reaching at least 15 or 16. Best FF game in years.

my feeligns as well . on PS3 is started lancer , here i went arcanist ... it's very intresting to see the starting game from different angles. it's so good when i can get on a plaza of a town and not dropping frames like crazy because there are too many people.
Oh and the game was MUCH MUCH MUCH more beautifull.

I don't like the dongeons as well for the same reasons stated above

RK9039

Yes, minions don't do anything in combat, they just follow you around (Demon Brick is the best). Only the Arcanist and it's two jobs have summons that take part in combat.

nubbe

It is far too common that people don't know how to DPS correctly
I usually get player commendations when I DPS, probably because I don't spam skills like a fucking loon :p

Being an old school EQ1 tank, the shit I usually see go in ARR would wipe a party instantly

Yes, minions don't do anything in combat, they just follow you around (Demon Brick is the best). Only the Arcanist and it's two jobs have summons that take part in combat.

Topaze carbuncle was so good. So glad that i went from lancer to arcanist , much much harder but unstoppable once you get your groove on.

IMBored

Think I'm going to settle on pug for full release. It's too damn fun. Also, is it cconfirmed you have to load the ps3 version to get the 30 days? I literally know no one with one.

Yep, you have to log in once withe the PS3 to be able to upgrade.

Minions are just cute accessories. Really cute ones.

Kem0sabe

people hardly do any talking in dungeons ;)

Yeah, its just the formal "hi everyone" while the group loads into the dungeon proper, and then "GJ" at the end.

But generally, the community itself is quite nice and civilized, reminds me quite a bit of the secret worlds community, but with less cocaine and tin foil hats involved :D

RK9039

Topaze carbuncle was so good. So glad that i went from lancer to arcanist , much much harder but unstoppable once you get your groove on.

Yeah the Carbuncles look really nice but don't too used to them, you'll probably be more familiar with the Scholar's fairies or the Summoner's primal minions. They look good as well though.

nubbe

Almost every modern MMO have silent instances, because you just gang up and do what need to be done and then you split to never see eachother again

Instance based content sucks for social interaction, the only way to get a social group is to do stuff with your guild

SLOSifl

I enjoyed the beta quite a bit so far. I'll probably go into the next beta with a new character/race to ensure I have a different experience, rather than retreading the areas I already explored.

Despite the standard MMO jankiness (launcher, weird patching system, menus menus menus), I was able to get pretty comfortable with the DS4 and had a great time with the beta.

Not sure if I can fit an MMO into my schedule these days, but I will probably give it a shot.

Enjoyed the beta on PS4 but really need to get a keyboard for chat as I was tearing my hair out with the group I was put with on the Ifrit fight and couldn't be bothered to use the onscreen keyboard to type a long message to tell them what to do, was quicker to just leave and get a new group using the benefits of insta queue on CNJ

Soi-Fong

yep- drives me wild as well.

glad my friends are getting this and I never have to deal with random douches soon

While you have general douchebags, it's interesting to sometimes be paired up with people who are new to the dungeons. I was in one yesterday where our tank had trouble keeping aggro so me and the party members told him some pointers.

The rest of the dungeon went smoothly. Unless someone is being a complete troll, I'll try to help them put as much as possible.

Yeah the Carbuncles look really nice but don't too used to them, you'll probably be more familiar with the Scholar's fairies or the Summoner's primal minions. They look good as well though.

Well i was planning on doing arcanist and then go summonner as a second class job :p

Wait that means i have to play arcanist AND then play thaumaturge ?

Argh scholar look cool too .. decisions decisions.

Can i go between sumonner and scholar if i have the levels requirement or is it locked by your starting class or your second guild choice ?

Soi-Fong

Well i was planning on doing arcanist and then go summonner as a second class job :p

Can i go between sumonner and scholar if i have the levels requirement or is it locked by your starting class or your second guild choice ?

If you go scholar, you have healing duties if theres no white mage.

Z3M0G

Is it true that there was a patch before the beta ended which upped the framerate overall? (Perhaps some debugging was switched off)

This is not true... even if you don't see the attack animation, you are always doing normal auto attacks while in range. Just watch the damage numbers... you'll see some that are not from your ability attacks.

I never use the "autoattack" command... I remove it from my hot bar. I start attacking with an ability attack (usually first of my rotation), and the auto attacks happen in parallel.

molnizzle

Is it true that there was a patch before the beta ended which upped the framerate overall? (Perhaps some debugging was switched off)

I'm just hoping that we get the option to cap frame rate at 30fps like on PC. It's funny, playing the PS3 game now the frame rate feels "smoother" just because it's much more consistent. Consistently terrible, but consistent nonetheless.

This is not true... even if you don't see the attack animation, you are always doing normal auto attacks while in range. Just watch the damage numbers... you'll see some that are not from your ability attacks.

I never use the "autoattack" command... I remove it from my hot bar. I start attacking with an ability attack (usually first of my rotation), and the auto attacks happen in parallel.

What class? Melee or Archer? Alrighty then.

Doesn't happen on casters. Like I said.

There's a damn auto-attack icon in this game. If it's not up (and spinning) over the target's head, auto-attack is not on.

jimmypython

That's my concern too.

I bought the PS3 version day one just for the sake of my FF collection. Played only one day then my internet was out for an entire month so I didn't even get used to the system.

Now having spent some solid time with the PS4 beta the game clicked really well with me, given that I'm a huge FF12 fan. THE GAME HAS TARGET LINES FOR GOD SAKE!!! I subscribed one month and started playing my PS3 version now.

I played a lot of MH3 and that community was ok. everyone was very kind. so I didn't get too much blame - or maybe I simply didn't suck (lol).

Another thing is that I won't have too much time playing the game so I kinda like working with my own pace. Still trying to figure out how to deal with the situation..

PS. saw a lot of <GAF> name on Ultros server haha..

Z3M0G

I'm just hoping that we get the option to cap frame rate at 30fps like on PC. It's funny, playing the PS3 game now the frame rate feels "smoother" just because it's much more consistent. Consistently terrible, but consistent nonetheless.

What class? Melee or Archer? Alrighty then.

Doesn't happen on casters. Like I said.

There's a damn auto-attack icon in this game. If it's not up (and spinning) over the target's head, auto-attack is not on.

Ok, cool. If you knew about the auto-attack icon, then nevermind. You're right, I only played melee classes. I didn't expect it to be different for magic classes. My bad, sorry.

Maybe it's made that way to prevent unintentionally pulling agro. What's the best way to target friendly's not in party?

Also, what servers are you all going to next phase?

Next phase is going to be on live servers, yes? In that case, I'll be going back home to Balmung, gathering and crafting away (IN BED) on my Vita.

Jomjom

Banned
Tanking sucks in this game in my opinion. The skills are boring, there are too many cooldowns to keep track of, and your abilities don't generate nearly enough threat if DPS are being stupid. And of course, you get blamed if DPS are being stupid, not the DPS. I'd rather managing threat be made easier so I can focus on my surroundings better.

I regret picking gladiator when I first made my character,

Shouldn't really ever be losing hate to DPS. I don't lose it to my friends who do 200+ on extreme primals and certainly not to the majority of randoms that do 100 to 150.

I agree tanking is kind of dumb in this game though. You basically just spam your halone combo nonstop and have a comboed savage blade or halone ready for when there are adds to pick up in the various boss fights. Flash, alternate halone combos on normal dungeon mobs, flash and you'll pretty much never lose any mobs to healers or DPs. Really only need to alternate when dps refuse to focus on one mob.

molnizzle

That's my concern too.

I bought the PS3 version day one just for the sake of my FF collection. Played only one day then my internet was out for an entire month so I didn't even get used to the system.

Now having spent some solid time with the PS4 beta the game clicked really well with me, given that I'm a huge FF12 fan. THE GAME HAS TARGET LINES FOR GOD SAKE!!! I subscribed one month and started playing my PS3 version now.

I played a lot of MH3 and that community was ok. everyone was very kind. so I didn't get too much blame - or maybe I simply didn't suck (lol).

Another thing is that I won't have too much time playing the game so I kinda like working with my own pace. Still trying to figure out how to deal with the situation..

PS. saw a lot of <GAF> name on Ultros server haha..

Part of it is that the game has been out for a while now and the servers are mature. Most people in the lower dungeons are leveling their second, third, forth (etc.) classes. They know the game well at this point and are not in the learning phase.

You probably just suck. I do too, but I'm getting better. Tanking in this game is much different and more involved than in other MMO's. I'm slowly figuring it out. I usually get at least one commendation per dungeon now, which I'm pretty proud of considering I'm playing on PS3.

Practice makes perfect!

RK9039

Yes to unlock the Summoner you have to get the Thaumaturge to level 15. To get the Scholar you level up the Conjurer to level 15, and as an Arcanist you can get both of those jobs.

So you can switch between them as long as you have them unlocked.

True, although in a full eight man party you can have a Scholar+White Mage combination.

Shouldn't really ever be losing hate to DPS. I don't lose it to my friends who do 200+ on extreme primals and certainly not to the majority of randoms that do 100 to 150.

I agree tanking is kind of dumb in this game though. You basically just spam your halone combo nonstop and have a comboed savage blade or halone ready for when there are adds to pick up in the various boss fights. Flash, alternate halone combos on normal dungeon mobs, flash and you'll pretty much never lose any mobs to healers or DPs. Really only need to alternate when dps refuse to focus on one mob.

PLD isn't the only tanking class. Warrior takes a little more work, but it keeps things interesting and, at least in my experience, is better able to help the party with DPS than a Paladin is.

But yeah, marking target priority is generally important, especially with randoms. Random Black Mages tend to get very AOE-happy, I've found. Anyways! When I PLD-tank against groups of mobs, I usually pull with Shield Lob, flash, and then go Fast Blade + Savage on first mob, Rage of Halone on second, and so on while skipping any mobs a savvy BLM or WHM might have cast Sleep on. For adds.. usually a Shield Lob + Savage will do the trick. I rarely if ever lose hate doing it this way.

molnizzle

Pro tip for tanks playing on controller: enable the extra hotbar that appears when you hold down both triggers. Then use a setup like this:

(pls forgive nasty PS3 graphics)

tank_mark8xb58.png

Fast and easy target order marking.

btkadams

did anyone else run into an issue where you couldn't complete quests in the beta? i would talk to the person to finish the quest and the reward popup would show up with the complete or decline options, but the complete option would be greyed out.

nubbe

did anyone else run into an issue where you couldn't complete quests in the beta? i would talk to the person to finish the quest and the reward popup would show up with the complete or decline options, but the complete option would be greyed out.

You need to choose your optional reward?

btkadams

i'm not sure i understand what you're asking me. the only selectable option was "decline" which would cancel the conversation and the quest wouldn't complete. the person would still be there with the complete quest symbol above their heads.

edit: wait, i think i get it. so, i was supposed to choose one of the listed rewards and then it would allow me to complete? i didn't know that was a thing in this game. oops! thanks for that.

aceface

I'm just hoping that we get the option to cap frame rate at 30fps like on PC. It's funny, playing the PS3 game now the frame rate feels "smoother" just because it's much more consistent. Consistently terrible, but consistent

Dungeons in the Ps4 version seemed to me to be a pretty steady 60fps though. Which I'd like them to keep cause the dungeons looked amaaaazing.

Not a problem , healing is not that bad of a job.

Yes to unlock the Summoner you have to get the Thaumaturge to level 15. To get the Scholar you level up the Conjurer to level 15, and as an Arcanist you can get both of those jobs.

So you can switch between them as long as you have them unlocked.

True, although in a full eight man party you can have a Scholar+White Mage combination.
If i can switch them as i wish , then everything's fine .

That's what i think happened too .

SkylineRKR

This was my first MMO RPG experience. I had played it briefly on Ps3 with a Lancer but the system really couldn't handle this game well.

On Ps4 its been excellent, played up to level 20 or so. I used Gladiator, first 10 levels were boring. But then I traveled to Gridania, took a Conjurer build and the game started to pick up some levels down the road. Duties, recommendations, levequests... EXP suddenly went much quicker. This game also confirmed to me that the touchpad is not a gimmick. It could be more accurate and its not a Mouse but its better than the Ps3 solution and I can use it from the couch.

Great music, atmosphere, areas... Story started to get kinda interesting as well.

I don't mind it being wiped. I am not going to choose Gladiator in the full game. Probably start with Marauder. Or DPS but I heard about the queues.

Issues they should fix:

-Text size. It worked when I was on the edge of my couch, but thats not the most ideal way to play. It should be scaled.
-Targeting. Its shit.
-Mission markers. I usually had to double click the quest on the screen for it to pop up on the map. But perhaps this is normal (maybe I should prioritize it every time).
- Map resolution. You can stretch it but its never really great.

Taruranto

I have a feeling the duty finder keeps grouping me with console players, because all my dungeons runs are silent runs where everyone keeps to themselves.

It's not so different on PC either, lol.

Most are excuses, the only fight that is annoying for MELEE is Garuda, and even in that 1 once you learn the fight you can DPS a lot and not ever eat whicked wheel

Basically every fight in this game is designed so ranged>melee. Even if you are in melee range for the fight (See Ifrit Exe, where the party is stuck behind Ifrit asshole most of the times) ranged can 1) avoid most mechanics 2) Inflict most damages, since they don't have to constantly re-position and move out of rage (DRG and MNK need to move out of range and stop DPS to avoid plumes, while a BRD and a SMN don't need to stop attacking ever).

It's not rare to find a "ranged only" sign on PF.

nubbe

i'm not sure i understand what you're asking me. the only selectable option was "decline" which would cancel the conversation and the quest wouldn't complete. the person would still be there with the complete quest symbol above their heads.

Lets say the quest appears to give you 5 rewards, but it really doesn't
You have to choose one of those rewards with the controller D-pad to claim it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom