• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - PS4 Beta |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number45

i'm not sure i understand what you're asking me. the only selectable option was "decline" which would cancel the conversation and the quest wouldn't complete. the person would still be there with the complete quest symbol above their heads.
I did the same thing. Under rewards you'll have your experience and gil and possibly a standard piece of equipment. To the right of that you'll have a list of a few more items, of which you'll need to choose one.

Took me a while to work it out as well. As GLD, it seems I can get away with selection the left most option every time. :p

btkadams

Lets say the quest appears to give you 5 rewards, but it really doesn't
You have to choose one of those rewards with the controller D-pad to claim it

I did the same thing. Under rewards you'll have your experience and gil and possibly a standard piece of equipment. To the right of that you'll have a list of a few more items, of which you'll need to choose one.

Took me a while to work it out as well. As GLD, it seems I can get away with selection the left most option every time. :p
thanks, guys. that makes a lot of sense. i feel like an idiot now because i stopped playing it, thinking maybe my character had a botched save file or something. oh well, at least i won't have to replay too much to get where i was in the next beta phase.

IMBored

Pro tip for tanks playing on controller: enable the extra hotbar that appears when you hold down both triggers. Then use a setup like this:

(pls forgive nasty PS3 graphics)

Fast and easy target order marking.

You caved in and started on the PS3 mol?

edit: wait, i think i get it. so, i was supposed to choose one of the listed rewards and then it would allow me to complete? i didn't know that was a thing in this game. oops! thanks for that.
Yeah, there are always the standard rewards, but often there are optional class-based items you must choose before you hit that complete button. Like, you'll see 3 different pairs of pants in the "Quest Complete!" dialog box. You choose the pair of pants that's relevant to you, then you're done.

molnizzle

targeting instances take too much time, just attack the mob with the least amount of HP
plz ppl

You could at least mark your current target as you're fighting it with a simple macro.

For the initial pull:

Code:
/micon "Shield Lob"
/mk off <t>
/ac "Shield Lob"
/action auto-attack <t>
/wait 1
/mk Cross <t>
/p Assist me on << <t> >> &#8212; Marked as "X"

For moving on to the second+ target after the initial pull:

Code:
/mk off <t>
/action auto-attack <t>
/wait 1
/mk Cross <t>
/p Assist me on << <t> >> &#8212; Marked as "X"

I just manually gave the second one an "X" icon by using the virtual mouse to click the one next to the macro name in the right pane.

I use both of those in addition to marking targets 1-4. The 1-4 gives the everyone an understanding of the order, but if all else fails my party always knows that it's safe to attack the "X" target. Works great.

You caved in and started on the PS3 mol?

Yeah, after about 15ish hours of beta. I wanted to start making permanent progress. =P

I regret nothing. April will be here soon enough!

If I have one nitpick: Any piece of clothing I obtained as my main class I couldn't use for another class for some reason. I kept getting the message that said only a craftsmen or leatherworker could only repair the article of clothing. Even if I went to a merchant to get the stuff repaired, I still couldn't wear them. I even bought a brand new shield since I couldn't use the same one I already owned and yet I got the same message. Frustrating as hell

BibiMaghoo

If I have one nitpick: Any piece of clothing I obtained as my main class I couldn't use for another class for some reason. I kept getting the message that said only a craftsmen or leatherworker could only repair the article of clothing. Even if I went to a merchant to get the stuff repaired, I still couldn't wear them. I even bought a brand new shield since I couldn't use the same one I already owned and yet I got the same message. Frustrating as hell

They are level capped items, and you are below the level by the sounds of it. When you change class you become level 1 at that class, meaning all your minimum level 5 gear cannot be worn.

They are level capped items, and you are below the level by the sounds of it. When you change class you become level 1 at that class, meaning all your minimum level 5 gear cannot be worn.

that wasn't the problem though. I had plenty of items that varied from different levels that I stopped using once I kept leveling up. I made sure to hold onto to those items for my other class once I was leveling up for that one

nubbe

The PS3 version is pretty fun
On FATE's there isn't enough memory and power, so everything just slides around without animating

The PS4 version is a huge update for sure

Some Nobody

I'm being serious, I didn't see anyone talking at all. Ever.

So it wasn't just me, then. Because damn, for an MMO that place was silent.

Also, fuck Square. This beta made me pay for another month of FF14 because I'm still wanting more of this world.

btkadams

so the next beta phase is april 2. if i play my ps3 copy now, will i be able to use that character in phase 2 of the beta? how does that all work? the characters in beta 2 carry over to the main game, no?

also, the music in this game is unreal. so good.

IISANDERII

This was my first legitimate go of a MMORPG and it was Ok I guess. Made it to level 18 and the most fun was doing a couple of dungeons with a party.

Awesome environments but I don't see what's so compelling about this that they would charge $15/m.

jimmypython

The PS3 version is pretty fun
On FATE's there isn't enough memory and power, so everything just slides around without animating

The PS4 version is a huge update for sure

yes it is definitely playable.

Just that the PS4 version is a HUGE step up.

BibiMaghoo

that wasn't the problem though. I had plenty of items that varied from different levels that I stopped using once I kept leveling up. I made sure to hold onto to those items for my other class once I was leveling up for that one

Sure, but all the items you will have been able to buy when playing as your main class will be a minimum of level 5 items. The only other items you have are starting kit for the respective class.

So when you switch to a new class, you are level 1, and have no starting items for that class, meaning you have nothing that is equipable until you reach level 5. You will be naked but for a weapons from the first entry quest for the new job.

IMBored

so the next beta phase is april 2. if i play my ps3 copy now, will i be able to use that character in phase 2 of the beta? how does that all work? the characters in beta 2 carry over to the main game, no?

also, the music in this game is unreal. so good.

Yep, phase 2 chars are tied to the main account, so you can jump between playing in PS3, PS4 or PC, if you have those versions.

Also I've been listening to the soundtrack in YT for 3 hours now.

You need to pay attention to the classes that can wear certain items.

It would say something like DESCIPLE OF WAR, meaning non magic battle classes can use it.
Which would be pugilist, monk, lancer, dragoon, gladiator, paladin, marauder, warrior, archer and bard.

Some say ALL CLASSES, meaning any class can use it.

some are only for the tank classes, they will have something like GLR, MRD, and such, which are abbreviations fro gladiator, marauder.

Slime

Banned
anyone else sweating a lot and acting very irritable today?

i don't think i can make it til april 4th

I was a little heartbroken when I woke up this morning and remembered the beta was over. And I can't get the music out of my head.

This is seriously the most I've cared about Final Fantasy since at least XII, but it feels an awful lot like I did back in the 90s when my love for the series was at its height. I'm hooked.

Fehyd

Banned
Something else for everyone chomping at the bit for some "classic" Final Fantasy.

This is some artwork done for the game's "Crystal Tower" series of 24-man raids.

EeekJNc.jpg

If you've played FF3, a few of these gents should look familiar. Definitely lots to look forward to in the coming days. I know they recently bolstered the servers a bit in preparation for "high loads". Looks like they might be seeing the pre-order amounts for PS4, maybe more people than expected?

You need to pay attention to the classes that can wear certain items.

It would say something like DESCIPLE OF WAR, meaning non magic battle classes can use it.
Which would be pugilist, monk, lancer, dragoon, gladiator, paladin, marauder, warrior, archer and bard.

Some say ALL CLASSES, meaning any class can use it.

some are only for the tank classes, they will have something like GLR, MRD, and such, which are abbreviations fro gladiator, marauder.

Yep, knew about that as well

btkadams

do the many customizations of a character during the character creation stage affect the game enough that you should be planning and researching the choices extensively? i kind of just chose the species, class, birthday, and deity without really thinking about it. you can change jobs by just choosing a different weapon, right? could i start as a marauder and then decide to be something more along the lines of a mage?

IMBored

defklf

Neo Member
do the many customizations of a character during the character creation stage affect the game enough that you should be planning and researching the choices extensively? i kind of just chose the species, class, birthday, and deity without really thinking about it. you can change jobs by just choosing a different weapon, right? could i start as a marauder and then decide to be something more along the lines of a mage?

Yeah. No worries. You can change jobs as you please (after level 10) and the customizations don't matter much except for which city you start in. Just go for whatever you want.

btkadams

Yeah. No worries. You can change jobs as you please (after level 10) and the customizations don't matter much except for which city you start in. Just go for whatever you want.

sweet! i was hoping that'd be the case. i won't stress too much over it when i make my new character.

Mike

They have already confirmed they are making the text bigger for the final release.

I liked the PS4 beta so much that I went and bought the PS3 version so I could make permanent progress.

/relapse

molnizzle

So what'd the point of the "advanced" subscription? I get that you can only have 1 character with the basic, but if I can be every class on one character then why would I care? That's a feature, lol.

Are there any other drawbacks? Subbing month-to-month for $12.99 is pretty tempting.

Cmagus

So what'd the point of the "advanced" subscription? I get that you can only have 1 character with the basic, but if I can be every class on one character then why would I care? That's a feature, lol.

Are there any other drawbacks? Subbing month-to-month for $12.99 is pretty tempting.

Some people like having alts and alot of people have different characters on different servers. I know alot of people who play on legacy and have another on non legacy. Some people also like the alts for extra storage or use their alts to gather.

molnizzle

Some people like having alts and alot of people have different characters on different servers. I know alot of people who play on legacy and have another on non legacy. Some people also like the alts for extra storage or use their alts to gather.

Fuck alts. I only ever used them to play different classes.

Basic subscription it is! Not bad, $12.99 month-to-month is a fucking bargain for this game.

If you guys loved the music you heard in the beta, wait until you progress further...

The music in the final dungeon of 2.0 is so fucking awesome that many people replay it just for that (and the tomes).

Ark

I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by the soundtrack. Really made running around on foot a lot more enjoyable (that and the wonderful environments and 1080p) :)

Soi-Fong

PS4 ver is basically the PC ver running maxed except the framerate is usually around the 30s.

During dungeons though framerate from my experience is a solid 60.

Hyunickel

Neo Member
PS4 ver is basically the PC ver running maxed except the framerate is usually around the 30s.

During dungeons though framerate from my experience is a solid 60.

I see, thanks! I run it with medium settings on my laptop with around 40-50 fps. Only at 720p though.

dramatis

Something else for everyone chomping at the bit for some "classic" Final Fantasy.

This is some artwork done for the game's "Crystal Tower" series of 24-man raids.

If you've played FF3, a few of these gents should look familiar. Definitely lots to look forward to in the coming days. I know they recently bolstered the servers a bit in preparation for "high loads". Looks like they might be seeing the pre-order amounts for PS4, maybe more people than expected?
Crystal Tower is the nightmare of current players, for all of the bad reasons unrelated to difficulty.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Are the servers back up or something as I have someone on my PSN friends list playing it right now? Or are they on the PS3 version?

you can tell by what youre friends list says. If it says Beta (or Beta symbol actually) then they are on PS4.

Hint: They are on PS3 :p

Demi_God

Banned
DAMMIT. I was playing the beta on the PS4 two days ago and I was really getting into the game even thought I was only level 4. Then to be told that it was the last day of the BETA :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom