• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - PS4 Beta |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

molnizzle

You can always jump in on the PC or PS3 version. I'm actually tempted, but trying to resist.

Give yourself to the dark side. It is the only way you can save your friends.

...and avoid crowded newbie zones in April! ;-)

At this point I'm super used to the PS3 version, I don't really even remember what the game looked like on PS4. April is gonna be that much sweeter for me.

Ricker

So this upgrade to PS4 is only digital right...? if I download the PS3 version now,and play with my Marauder from the beta of last year on PC,which I saw they kept my character how will the upgrade work...will I have to redownload the whole PS4 game(which is what close to 20GB) compared to the PS3 download or will it just patch from PS3 making it less of a big download...?

Number45

At this point I'm super used to the PS3 version, I don't really even remember what the game looked like on PS4. April is gonna be that much sweeter for me.
This is one of the reasons I want to avoid the PC version. I really want to notice the difference in a months time. :'(

IMBored

Give yourself to the dark side. It is the only way you can save your friends.

...and avoid crowded newbie zones in April! ;-)

No you´ll not tempt me mol, I just got warframing again, I´m hoping that'll keep me busy another month.

Besides, I don't even like my friends.

Crystal Tower is the nightmare of current players, for all of the bad reasons unrelated to difficulty.

Wouldn't call it a nightmare, because most of my runs go smoothly, but the trolls have certainly been out in full force lately. Teams purposely (CT fight spoilers)
stepping off of their plates on Atomos to help their team "win" at DPS over the next team
or talking smack, implying their team is "carrying" the others. I hate kids.

molnizzle

So this upgrade to PS4 is only digital right...? if I download the PS3 version now,and play with my Marauder from the beta of last year on PC,which I saw they kept my character how will the upgrade work...will I have to redownload the whole PS4 game(which is what close to 20GB) compared to the PS3 download or will it just patch from PS3 making it less of a big download...?

You'll obviously have to download the full game on PS4.

Flarin

Question about Phase 1 ending:

I tried logging in for the hell of it to see what would happen, expecting to just not be able to log in. However, it kept saying my password/ ID was wrong, now matter how many times I reset it and even after I linked my SE account with my Sony account.

Is that just what happens while the beta is turned off for a month? Just wanting to make sure my account isn't messed up or something.

Zalasta

If I have one nitpick: Any piece of clothing I obtained as my main class I couldn't use for another class for some reason. I kept getting the message that said only a craftsmen or leatherworker could only repair the article of clothing. Even if I went to a merchant to get the stuff repaired, I still couldn't wear them. I even bought a brand new shield since I couldn't use the same one I already owned and yet I got the same message. Frustrating as hell

Are you sure you're not selecting the "repair" option instead of "equip"? As I recall you only get that message when you try to repair something while you are on the wrong crafting class.

molnizzle

Question about Phase 1 ending:

I tried logging in for the hell of it to see what would happen, expecting to just not be able to log in. However, it kept saying my password/ ID was wrong, now matter how many times I reset it and even after I linked my SE account with my Sony account.

Is that just what happens while the beta is turned off for a month? Just wanting to make sure my account isn't messed up or something.

It's not even "turned off," it's just gone. For the next beta/release you have to re-download the entire client. The Beta 1 client is finished.

Also, there isn't really a "Phase II" beta. They're calling it that, but it's really just a 3-day head start before PS4 launch.

Flarin

It's not even "turned off," it's just gone. For the next beta/release you have to re-download the entire client. The Beta 1 client is finished.

Also, there isn't really a "Phase II" beta. They're calling it that, but it's really just a 3-day head start before PS4 launch.

OOOOH! That makes a lot more sense now. Time to delete that 40 GB brick of nothingness then. Thanks.

Number45

Do we expect the beta client to carry to the full game, given it's so close to release? Probably won't bother with this beta either, but would download the client in the event that it's the base for the main game client.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Do we expect the beta client to carry to the full game, given it's so close to release? Probably won't bother with this beta either, but would download the client in the event that it's the base for the main game client.

highly doubtful. if it was on the PC I'd say it's a possibility, but being this stuff is tied to SKUs and ID codes on the consoles, even IF they could update the beta client with the live code I doubt they would.

Soi-Fong

Lag?

You can always jump in on the PC or PS3 version. I'm actually tempted, but trying to resist.

I actually have the PC CE version. Bought it back at launch. Just uninstalled right now. I'm graduating Uni in like two weeks so I might jump in on the PC version to get a headstart to get dat White Mage.

But then continue on the PS4 version. The PC version runs ok on my PC.

I met a bunch of awesome people during the end of the beta. Just talked for hours before the official end of the beta. I started a group with them, added them on PSN and they all wanted us to meet back up. So I'm the "unofficial" dude to get us all back together.
Already told all of them to go to Ultros during launch.

url]

Demi_God

Banned
So is this a game that is meant for mouse and a keyboard? Also, is this a cross-platform play with PS3 and PC or will it just be PS4 separate from the rest?

So is this a game that is meant for mouse and a keyboard? Also, is this a cross-platform play with PS3 and PC or will it just be PS4 separate from the rest?

All servers are fully cross-platform. Controller actually works really well as long as you set up your quickbuttons well. I know a lot of folks who play on PC and still prefer to use a gamepad when fighting or traversing the world. It all comes down to personal preference!

btkadams

oh, phase 2 is just 3 days long? didn't know that.

hoserx

Ugh. Played the PC beta, bought the game at launch........ only played one month. Played the ps4 beta......... now I need it again.......... resubbed on PC. The music is just so soothing............I am weak.

molnizzle

oh, phase 2 is just 3 days long? didn't know that.

It's 3 days long and you only get access to it if you buy a PS4 copy of FFXIV or you already own the game on PS3. Phase I was the free public test, Phase II is basically just to spread out the "Day 1" server load from all the new PS4 players.

According to the official website.

Wagram

Lul 10 day ban from the forums for saying: ​Just because you delete threads SE mods, doesn't make the game any less mediocre

What those mods don't realize is that is a reward, not a punishment :D

redhot_

It's 3 days long and you only get access to it if you buy a PS4 copy of FFXIV or you already own the game on PS3. Phase I was the free public test, Phase II is basically just to spread out the "Day 1" server load from all the new PS4 players.

Wait what? Are they doing some sort of preorder code thing at retailers or...? Not sure how that's going to work.

Lul 10 day ban from the forums for saying: ​Just because you delete threads SE mods, doesn't make the game any less mediocre

Well, that's certainly a valid and constructive criticism and not just trolling.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

FYI your first ban here as a junior results in a permaban for your account. I suggest you give the TOS a read to make sure you post accordingly.

Wagram

Well, that's certainly a valid and constructive criticism and not just trolling.

I've lost all motivation. It's not even worth the breath of constructive criticism. That forum is too idiotic to understand such a thing. It's a bad game, and it's doomed to be one.

Clarification: On the XIV forums, not here.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I've lost all motivation. It's not even worth the breath of constructive criticism. That forum is too idiotic to understand such a thing. It's a bad game, and it's doomed to be one.

Clarification: On the XIV forums, not here.

So you decided to come to the NeoGAF OT of the game here and repost the same trolly message?

molnizzle

Wait what? Are they doing some sort of preorder code thing at retailers or...? Not sure how that's going to work.

I'm thinking that the free 30 days of game time just won't start counting until the official launch date. Prior to that, anyone with a valid FFXIV account will be able to play for "free" on PS4 for the 3-day beta period.

S-E did already say that PS3 upgrades will have to have at least loaded the game on PS3 first and created an account before being able to upgrade.

EDIT: All info here: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/ps4/bonuses

Excerpt:
yqv1Sgd.png

IMBored

Actually mol, I think you are confusing this. There's a public phase 2 beta from 4 to 7 April, with real characters that can be imported from existing accounts and carry to the final game. Then there's a early access phase from 11 to 13 for pre-orders and existing owners.

Btw, will the PS3 disk still be needed to play the PS4 version when the upgrade is done?

Are you sure you're not selecting the "repair" option instead of "equip"? As I recall you only get that message when you try to repair something while you are on the wrong crafting class.

well when I was Lancer, the pieces of clothing were available to me to equip. When I switched to Conjurer, the pieces of clothing didn't have the equip option but repair instead (with a small blue X on the bottom left corner on each piece)

Xux

well when I was Lancer, the pieces of clothing were available to me to equip. When I switched to Conjurer, the pieces of clothing didn't have the equip option but repair instead (with a small blue X on the bottom left corner on each piece)
That means your current class can't equip it. It's either too high a level or restricted to Disciples of War or some combination of classes that isn't CNJ or "Disciples of Magic".

molnizzle

Actually mol, I think you are confusing this. There's a public phase 2 beta from 4 to 7 April, with real characters that can be imported from existing accounts and carry to the final game. Then there's a early access phase from 11 to 13 for pre-orders and existing owners.

Btw, will the PS3 disk still be needed to play the PS4 version when the upgrade is done?

Oooh, I believe you are correct. Damn. I wonder if we'll be able to switch back to the PS3 version from the 8th through the 10th? I guess it's not a huge deal if we can't. Only 3 days.

As for PS3 disc, it's literally just to save you from having to download the client. The game is fully "digital" regardless of what platform you buy it on. One of the benefits of being a subscription MMO. =P

Me being dumb here. If i start the 30 day free trial on the PS3 version later on this month will the trial carry over to the PS4 launch of FF 14?

I caved and re-upped my subscription, playing it on the PS3. It's certainly more choppy, but it's playable. I wish they'd just release it on PS4 already. It's obviously done.

IMBored

Oooh, I believe you are correct. Damn. I wonder if we'll be able to switch back to the PS3 version from the 8th through the 10th? I guess it's not a huge deal if we can't. Only 3 days.

As for PS3 disc, it's literally just to save you from having to download the client. The game is fully "digital" regardless of what platform you buy it on. One of the benefits of being a subscription MMO. =P

You probably can as they only say they lock out your PS3 version when you upgrade to PS4, and the phase2 beta is not the upgrade, and it's done with "real" characters.
Being digital is really great, I only need someone to borrow me a PS3 now.

Number45

I think you have to go to the respective guilds (ie. miner's guild) and start the quest like you would an alt job.
Yeah, I just wondered if I missed the introduction as it's available from 10 apparently and I'm 20. I should probably just play through the main storyline and stop fussing about everything else.

Cmagus

Yeah, I just wondered if I missed the introduction as it's available from 10 apparently and I'm 20. I should probably just play through the main storyline and stop fussing about everything else.

Yeah just go to the guild you want and pick up the class. At level 10 you can get a second class. This link here is a good way to get started with crafting it basically shows you which items are needed for each leve and how to level your crafts effectively.

http://www.gameskinny.com/4rc10/ffxiv-leveling-craftingtradecrafts-with-repeatable-leves-guide

Some crafting leves you can turn in multiple times getting you triple xp which really helps. I would also suggest not wasting your leves on levels 1-10 as you can level that by grinding really fast. Best advice is when you're reaching another leve point (every 5 levels you get new leves) start crafting items for the next ones it really helps.

Once you unlock your GC you can also purchase scrolls that give you a temp xp boost so make sure you grab one of those and drink some orange juice for max xp. you can easily do 1-30 in a day providing you have enough leves. I'd also suggest working on your gathering classes during the same time as they help each other out.

Number45

Nice, thanks for this. I love gathering/crafting - basically hoping I can do it via remote play when the PS4 version launches. :)

Mesharey

S-E did already say that PS3 upgrades will have to have at least loaded the game on PS3 first and created an account before being able to upgrade.
To upgrade to the PS4 version I have to load my PS3 version on PS3? I created a S-E account in the beta.

I don't have space on My PS3 and it needs a huge space. :(

molnizzle

To upgrade to the PS4 version I have to load my PS3 version on PS3? I created a S-E account in the beta.

I don't have space on My PS3 and it needs a huge space. :(

Not sure if the beta account service will work, it sounds like you need to have an actual PS3 account created in the first place before you can "upgrade" it. The only way to do that is to log in to the game from a PS3.

Not sure though, you might want to contact S-E if truly don't have any way to install the game on PS3.

L2/R2 + L1 to tab through enemies only

I tank with controller and never knew about the extra hot-bar... THANK YOU!

Yeah it's awesome. My R2+L2 is the marking setup I showed before and my L2+R2 is Limit Break, Ready Check, Protect, Shield Oath (once I get it) and then Antidote/Echo Drops etc. Very handy.

Also, I rarely do the L2+R1 cycling anymore. Now I just do L1+d-pad up/down to cycle directly through the enmity list. Pretty helpful for getting aggro back from strays.

system11

Aww I'm sad now. I went to fire the beta up not knowing it's been closed. Despite swearing off MMOs forever after PSU destroyed my life, I might just play this one casually.

Soi-Fong

Aww I'm sad now. I went to fire the beta up not knowing it's been closed. Despite swaering off MMOs forever after PSU destroyed my life, I might just play this one casually.

It can certainly be played casually what with crafting and such.

If you have a Vita, it makes it better as well.

IMBored

So I´m eyeing the PS3 CE edition at amazon. 30€, shipping included it's the best I've seen.
Two questions tough, does the CE version also comes with the 30 day sub period, and is there a region lock for the psn accounts?

molnizzle

So I´m eyeing the PS3 CE edition at amazon. 30€, shipping included it's the best I've seen.
Two questions tough, does the CE version also comes with the 30 day sub period, and is there a region lock for the psn accounts?

Don't know about regions locks, but yes it comes with the sub period. Subscription MMO's always come with 30 days free.

IMBored

Don't know about regions locks, but yes it comes with the sub period. Subscription MMO's always come with 30 days free.

Thanks, after a little more digging the game has three versions. NA, JP and everywhere else. As I'm buying from amazon UK and I have a EU account I should be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom