• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - PS4 Beta |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

IvorB

Sooo.... I tried the beta and I really liked it but there were a couple of things that killed my buzz. Can anyone tell me if this is related to the beta or if the final game will be like that. The main issue was: lag.

I died so many cheap deaths because my actions were not registering but the game still continuing without my input so when I caught up I was dead. Or it would say "cannot be completed at this time" or something similar. But the worst was when I was trying to flee a battle but the enemy continued to hit me with a melee attack long after I was out of range, ultimately killing me.

Is the game like this in final form? I want to love this game but these deaths were really infuriating.

Sooo.... I tried the beta and I really liked it but there were a couple of things that killed my buzz. Can anyone tell me if this is related to the beta or if the final game will be like that. The main issue was: lag.

I died so many cheap deaths because my actions were not registering but the game still continuing without my input so when I caught up I was dead. Or it would say "cannot be completed at this time" or something similar. But the worst was when I was trying to flee a battle but the enemy continued to hit me with a melee attack long after I was out of range, ultimately killing me.

Is the game like this in final form? I want to love this game but these deaths were really infuriating.

I played mostly during what I assume to be peak hours (weekends and weekday late-afternoon/evenings), and I only experienced serious lag once. Maybe I was lucky with my timing, maybe some of the servers were better than others, or maybe the issue was with your internet, I don't know. Have you played other MMOs or online games without issues? Or is it possible something was downloading (family member watching netflix, torrents, etc.) that could have caused the problems? Is your PS4 wired or wireless, and if it's wireless, how is the signal strength? It's definitely worth investigating to make sure the issue isn't on your end before assuming it's the servers, since it's a whole lot easier to fix if the issue is local.

Soi-Fong

Lag? The whole time in the beta I never got lag whatsoever. Even the first day, when there was tons of people I never got lag.

What connection do you have?

jimmypython

connection issues most likely. it happened a couple of times for me once my roommate started to download and stream heavily.

edit: I was playing on PS3.

Number45

Sounds like you have lag issues. Might have been down to load in the beta, or it might be your connection so it's hard to say if you'll have the same issues when the game launches.

Where are you based? What's your internet connection like? Have you played other MMOs and had the same problem?

I've been playing this (non-beta) for a couple of weeks now (from UK to the datacentre, which I believe is in Canada) and my connection has been flawless.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

People will tell you that there is no lag in this game. They are wrong. Lag issues persist in this game that does not in any other MMO I've played. Whether it's big lag or little lag, the way these servers are set up, there is definite lag. It is still a problem. It's just that long time players are so used to it, we have over compensated for it. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes ends with one of the most disturbing scenes I’ve ever seen in a game. It’s gross, it’s violent, it’s painful, it’s heartbreaking, and it’s something I won’t spoil here. But it’s going to draw attention.

YMMV with it, but it's there.

Ala Alba

People will tell you that there is no lag in this game. They are wrong. Lag issues persist in this game that does not in any other MMO I've played. Whether it's big lag or little lag, the way these servers are set up, there is definite lag. It is still a problem. It's just that long time players are so used to it, we have over compensated for it. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes ends with one of the most disturbing scenes I’ve ever seen in a game. It’s gross, it’s violent, it’s painful, it’s heartbreaking, and it’s something I won’t spoil here. But it’s going to draw attention.

YMMV with it, but it's there.

I think something went wrong here.

IvorB

Thanks for the input, guys. So I guess it's just me. I don't know if that's a good thing or bad. I have a decent connection at about 10mb (at the PS4) which is wireless but doesn't normally give me issues. I guess I will try the next beta and see but I can't dive in with it like it was.

What speed connection do others have?

Looking forward to the PS4 release as I have a few friends that i got to play the beta and they enjoyed it. Infact two of my friends have borrowed PS3's so they can start playing now while myself and a few others play on PC. During the PS4 beta it was a lot of fun because we could all use the PS4's party chat to communicate and that was great but now my friends will be scattered over PC, PS3 and PS4 we are trying to find a solution so we can all chat, looking like it will most likely be Skype.

However last night we decided to all try out DC Online while we waited for the PS4 release and we had a blast but the main surprise for us was that it has within the game itself a cross platform Voice Chat service and it worked great for us playing on PS3/4. I know that SE have said before that Voice Chat will never be coming to FFXIV but after actually seeing a game with it incorporated now and cross platform to boot it really is a feature I hope they put in at some point. During the beta I had a few occasions when I ignored people which I would have normally helped purely because I couldn't be bothered to use the onscreen keyboard, I even let our Ifrit party fall apart because it took to long for me to try and type up a message explaining the nail to the new players. I know most people will just buy a keyboard but it is still not as quick and easy as built in Voice Com's, it's really something I hope they add in the future.

molnizzle

Looking forward to the PS4 release as I have a few friends that i got to play the beta and they enjoyed it. Infact two of my friends have borrowed PS3's so they can start playing now while myself and a few others play on PC. During the PS4 beta it was a lot of fun because we could all use the PS4's party chat to communicate and that was great but now my friends will be scattered over PC, PS3 and PS4 we are trying to find a solution so we can all chat, looking like it will most likely be Skype.

However last night we decided to all try out DC Online while we waited for the PS4 release and we had a blast but the main surprise for us was that it has within the game itself a cross platform Voice Chat service and it worked great for us playing on PS3/4. I know that SE have said before that Voice Chat will never be coming to FFXIV but after actually seeing a game with it incorporated now and cross platform to boot it really is a feature I hope they put in at some point. During the beta I had a few occasions when I ignored people which I would have normally helped purely because I couldn't be bothered to use the onscreen keyboard, I even let our Ifrit party fall apart because it took to long for me to try and type up a message explaining the nail to the new players. I know most people will just buy a keyboard but it is still not as quick and easy as built in Voice Com's, it's really something I hope they add in the future.

First off, you're an asshole for letting groups fall apart just because you don't have the common sense to hook up a USB or Bluetooth keyboard. You're playing a damn MMO here, and one where the majority of the playerbase will be on PC. Eother get a keyboard or do everyone else a favor and skip the game altogether.

Secondly, Ventrilo is a solid choice for voice chat. There are iOS/Android apps for couch use. That's what my FC does for raids since we do in fact have a few endgame raiders playing on PS3.

molnizzle

I kinda shelved the PS3 version for the time being too. I went back and played a bit of Tomb Raider on PS4, and god damn, I needs my 1080p. I might just wait for April now. Currently sitting on a level 32 Paladin on Ultros.

Its from the PC version of the game. Im just wondering if I should just restart altogether to go through the story with a conjurer instead.

No real reason to. Join Conjurer's Guild, equip a level 1 staff. Do some of the low level quests you missed + some FATEs + low level duty roulette and maybe a few battlecraft leves. Boom, Conjurer is now caught up in levels. :)

Blizzje

So, are we expecting the retail version to have a beter performance (or even phase 2 of the beta test, because of the new client)? I can't imagine SquareEnix choosing maximum settings for the ps4 version (http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/02...t-feed-screenshot-comparison-identical-twins/) when they know it slows down quite heavily, even when not a lot is happening on screen.

Are these just optimisation issues and were we playing the phase 1 with an early build?

Semper88

So, are we expecting the retail version to have a beter performance (or even phase 2 of the beta test, because of the new client)? I can't imagine SquareEnix choosing maximum settings for the ps4 version (http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/02...t-feed-screenshot-comparison-identical-twins/) when they know it slows down quite heavily, even when not a lot is happening on screen.

Are these just optimisation issues and were we playing the phase 1 with an early build?

If you ask me the Phase 1 version already did run fine. a bit more smoothness would do the trick. Maybe down the graphics a tiny tiny little bit.

Kinda wish I wasn't gonna be at an anime convention most of next weekend while the second phase is going on, but I'll try to make the most of it when I have the time during the later hours. And with the preorder, I can get more things done via the early access period

Rixa

My PS3 is ready (installed PS3 version) to log first and only time to FFXIV:ARR in PS3.
After that everything is ready for PS4 & remote play.

Number45

My PS3 is ready (installed PS3 version) to log first and only time to FFXIV:ARR in PS3.
After that everything is ready for PS4 & remote play.
I've been slumming it with the PS3 version so that the PS4 version will look even more glorious in my eyes.

I've been slumming it with the PS3 version so that the PS4 version will look even more glorious in my eyes.

Me too. What's my best course of action for the beta?

First. How long will it last? Can I transfer my character from the PS3 to it? After the beta ends (and I assume the PS4 version hasn't launched yet), can I continue playing on PS3 or will have I burned that brigde?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Number45

First. How long will it last? Can I transfer my character from the PS3 to it? After the beta ends (and I assume the PS4 version hasn't launched yet), can I continue playing on PS3 or will have I burned that brigde?

This next phase I believe is on the live servers so your characters will be available when you login and select the relevant world, and playable on all platforms.:)

You'll discover that they don't make it easy to cross platform play though. Configuration information is stored locally on the console, so you'll need to setup your UI (including all of your actions on the hotbars) again for the new platform. They don't even store gear sets server-side, which is beyond stupid.

I've actually stopped playing on PC because of this. Maybe they'll be able to do it for PS3/PS4.

Z3M0G

So when next beta phase starts, will it remain up until launch day? And can we import our current characters at the start of this phase?

Or do we need to wait for a later date for all that... an Early Access date perhaps?

IMBored

The beta last from the 4th to 7th April, and there's a early acess for PS3 transfer starting 11th. I'm still not sure how transfering out of the beta works for PS3/PC users, but you can import a PS3 char to the beta.

I am debating between using up another month free trial and going fresh OR transfer what I played this month on PS3. From what I played, I am going Monk or Scholar path. The tank classes are not very fun to solo. Pugs are fun to play, but lack the usefulness of other DPS classes at end game. Scholar would probably be the most useful throughout. So do I choose the fun class or the useful class? Decisions!

bunbun777

I can't wait for the ps4 release so much nicer. After the last beta I restarted my ps3 account and have been counting the days.

How do you get into the second beta phase? Do I just need to preorder the game from anywhere and I will be given a code to access the beta or is it just gonna be open?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
after falling in love with the ps4 beta, i bought the steam version so when the ps4 retail copy drops i at least am ready to roll. gotta get my SCH game up!

How do you get into the second beta phase? Do I just need to preorder the game from anywhere and I will be given a code to access the beta or is it just gonna be open?

open for all PS4 owners :)

BibiMaghoo

This next phase I believe is on the live servers so your characters will be available when you login and select the relevant world, and playable on all platforms.:)

You'll discover that they don't make it easy to cross platform play though. Configuration information is stored locally on the console, so you'll need to setup your UI (including all of your actions on the hotbars) again for the new platform. They don't even store gear sets server-side, which is beyond stupid.

I've actually stopped playing on PC because of this. Maybe they'll be able to do it for PS3/PS4.

That is a massive pain in the ass. I setup all my stuff on PS3 and use multiple classes, switching gear as is needed. I did this specifically so I would not have to do it again on PS4, and could just play.

God dammit.

Number45

That is a massive pain in the ass. I setup all my stuff on PS3 and use multiple classes, switching gear as is needed. I did this specifically so I would not have to do it again on PS4, and could just play.

God dammit.
Yes, it very much is. As I say though, maybe they'll be able to do something between PS3 and PS4 that they can't do on PC. Hopefully.

So just for clarification, PS3, PS4, and PC can all play together right?
Yup.

Yes.

Does anyone have a link to where/how we xfer our PS3 toons to Beta phase 2?
As far as I understand it the beta is on the live servers, so no transfer should be necessary (log in and your characters will be there ready and waiting).

As far as I understand it the beta is on the live servers, so no transfer should be necessary (log in and your characters will be there ready and waiting).

There is a catch though, you won't be able to play on the PS3 again with that account. (at least from what I have heard/read)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom