• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - PS4 Beta |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

BibiMaghoo

Above is correct, the license from the PS3 disc - the one time code - is transfered to the PS4, so the PS3 disc and install become useless. Another copy must be bought to play again on PS3, but it's still cheaper to buy two PS3 copies than one PS4 copy. So it makes sense.

Valnen

Above is correct, the license from the PS3 disc - the one time code - is transfered to the PS4, so the PS3 disc and install become useless. Another copy must be bought to play again on PS3, but it's still cheaper to buy two PS3 copies than one PS4 copy. So it makes sense.

I already own both a PS3 and PC license and I have a PS4 CE preordered on Amazon, that means I can play on all 3 platforms right?

molnizzle

Any PS3 version sales lately? I shoulda jumped on that one last year.

It was $24.99 on both Newegg and Amazon last week, might still be.

Is there any way to pre-order the digital version on PS4?

Not yet, but every version is the "digital version" since it's a subscription MMO. The disc just saves you from having to download the game files, once it's installed you don't need it to play the game.

Number45

There is a catch though, you won't be able to play on the PS3 again with that account. (at least from what I have heard/read)
Not for the beta, surely? Not a problem for me - I own PS3 and PC and have the PS4 CE on pre-order, but I can't imagine the beta will activate the upgrade.

BibiMaghoo

Not for the beta, surely? Not a problem for me - I own PS3 and PC and have the PS4 CE on pre-order, but I can't imagine the beta will activate the upgrade.

Of course not. The beta license is it's own, and will be removed once the game is live I would imagine.

redhot_

Not yet, but every version is the "digital version" since it's a subscription MMO. The disc just saves you from having to download the game files, once it's installed you don't need it to play the game.

Do you think the actual digital version will be up for pre order on the PSN or SE store before the early access?

Another copy must be bought to play again on PS3, but it's still cheaper to buy two PS3 copies than one PS4 copy. So it makes sense.

The problem is I wanted the Collector's Edition after really liking the game. So I have no sense. I am going to have two copies of the game. Oh well.

BTW, if anyone wants to add me. Feel free to message. I am going fresh, so I have no clue what server I will be playing. I will be doing the beta the 4th though to get a head start and get to level 15 ASAP.

BibiMaghoo

The problem is I wanted the Collector's Edition after really liking the game. So I have no sense. I am going to have two copies of the game. Oh well.

You can, I am told, Upgrade a standard edition to a digital collectors edition for £15. You wouldn't get the art and stuff, only the in game bits though presumably.

But for people like me that bought the PS3 for £8, and take a free upgrade to PS4.

That makes the digital PS4 collectors for £23. Which is not bad at all, if your into the extra stuff. I kinda want the fat chocobo, so I may do it.

IMBored

Any new word on how to transfer the accounts? My friend who was supposed to lend me his PS3 just called saying he got YLOD, so I'm stuck stuck with a PS3 CE edition that I can't use. At the very least I hope there's a way to use the code for the CE goodies so I don't have to buy a PS4 CE.

Lucifon

A few questions - so for this weekend when can we download the beta? Doesn't seem to be in the UK store yet, hoping to get my buddies to try it out and lure them in. I'm was a PC player so I'm hoping to be able to login to my char and play for the weekend?

Also am I right in thinking I can then just pick up a PS3 copy cheap at any point, register and start it on the PS3, then transfer that over to PS4 so I can play that version instead? Is there an expiry limit on how late we can transfer from PS3 to PS4? Also is the process automatic or do we need to do something to initate the transfer?

Sorry for all the questions, it just seems quite messy!

Korezo

As far as I understand it the beta is on the live servers, so no transfer should be necessary (log in and your characters will be there ready and waiting).

I quit the game in September, so you saying I can dl ps4 beta and access my old character and play him and progress will save? That's like a free trial if I can use my guy without having to activate a sub.. Maybe only activated accounts under a sub can use their character on the ps4 beta.

IMBored

A few questions - so for this weekend when can we download the beta? Doesn't seem to be in the UK store yet, hoping to get my buddies to try it out and lure them in. I'm was a PC player so I'm hoping to be able to login to my char and play for the weekend?

Also am I right in thinking I can then just pick up a PS3 copy cheap at any point, register and start it on the PS3, then transfer that over to PS4 so I can play that version instead? Is there an expiry limit on how late we can transfer from PS3 to PS4? Also is the process automatic or do we need to do something to initate the transfer?

Sorry for all the questions, it just seems quite messy!

In the last beta phase you could download it after the store update (Wednesdays) , then at the start date it only needed a patch. I assume it will be the same this time. You can use your PC char, this beta is on live servers.

And yes you can, and should buy a PS3 version and transfer it to PS4, assuming you actually have a PS3 (unlike me). The limit is until the end of 2014, so plenty of time. The transfer service starts 11th april, so you can start playing on the PS4 right then, and, like everything of the square enix account service, I assume it's gonna be convoluted to use.

I quit the game in September, so you saying I can dl ps4 beta and access my old character and play him and progress will save? That's like a free trial if I can use my guy without having to activate a sub.. Maybe only activated accounts under a sub can use their character on the ps4 beta.

When I started the PS4 beta it created a service account with a specific PS4 beta license, maybe it'll do that even if you already have a PS3/PC account.

Lucifon

In the last beta phase you could download it after the store update (Wednesdays) , then at the start date it only needed a patch. I assume it will be the same this time. You can use your PC char, this beta is on live servers.

And yes you can, and should buy a PS3 version and transfer it to PS4, assuming you actually have a PS3 (unlike me). The limit is until the end of 2014, so plenty of time. The transfer service starts 11th april, so you can start playing on the PS4 right then, and, like everything of the square enix account service, I assume it's gonna be convoluted to use.

When I started the PS4 beta it created a service account with a specific PS4 beta license, maybe it'll do that even if you already have a PS3/PC account.

Thanks for this! So even as a non-active PC player I'll be able to hop in with my PC character and try it out this weekend?

Great news about the limit, if my mates don't jump in straight away I may then just hold off on picking up a PS3 copy to transfer to PS4. I do still have my PS3 so that's not an issue.

MrBS

I queued the download for the new client with the old client still installed. When I get home I'll have to see just what kind of mess I've created ;)

with the ps3 beta I think the same client updated from alpha to beta client. memory is fuzzy tho.

I will try to update my ps4 client tonight see if I need to download the new one or just update this one

So will we have to download another client for Phase 2?

my guess is yes. it says on the se site that the client will be available for dl on the 4thunder the beta details section. and usually on pc you end up downloading a separate client for beta phases if i recall

New client fully downloaded. It has the 3/25 update version and it's fully installed.

If you try to start the application, you'll get a message saying you need a promo code (guess this would be for the early access)

IMBored

For what it's worth the last beta icon had a beta version symbol on the top left, this one doesn't, so different versions probably. Maybe even the final version.

Drame

http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/c7e65d5102dae2d0aa725807d9d3578abf91ab7b

Official site updated with phase 2 instructions. Seems like this client will roll to live, hopefully.

"During beta test phase 2, players have the option to participate using pre-existing characters from the Windows and PlayStation®3 versions. Furthermore, testing will be conducted on public Worlds. All newly created characters can be created on a data center and World of your choosing, and will carry over to official service after the beta test has concluded."

Hard time choosing whether to continue playing my old toon or reroll to a new race.

I still wonder if those who already own the game (aka ps3 version) are entitled to the 3 day head start on the 11th of april, which the SEN store description mentions if you pre-order the game.

The hard thing is, pre-ordering a game that you already own.

IMBored

http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/c7e65d5102dae2d0aa725807d9d3578abf91ab7b

I still wonder if those who already own the game (aka ps3 version) are entitled to the 3 day head start on the 11th of april, which the SEN store description mentions if you pre-order the game.

In the beta description on the PS blog they said that yes, PS3 version owners can start on the 11th. Makes sense, as the license transfer service starts the same day.

Number45

Official site updated with phase 2 instructions. Seems like this client will roll to live, hopefully.
Yes!

It's a pre-order code that activates early access, so I assume not. And you can pre-order it, because you don't already own it (at least not on the PS4). :p

EDIT: Interesting, apparently I'm wrong on that.

will i be able to use my ps3 char for the 2nd beta phase?
Yup. :)

This is going to be like the final beta (phase 4) of the PC/PS3 release:

- If you have played in the previous beta phase, delete it and download the new client.

- This new client is the final version of the game, and will simply get a new update with any fixes they come up with next week before it goes live for early access.

- If you want the preorder bonuses, you have to preorder the PS4 version. PS3 transfers don't count as preorder. It's the same preorder items from last year, so don't worry if you already have them, but you have a new chance if you didn't preorder before.

- If you have the CE on any platform, you get the PS4 CE items too.

- In order to transfer the account from PS3 to PS4, you need to actually start the game and register the PS3 copy, which involves downloading the game on the PS3 and booting it up. So don't go with the upgrade route if you don't have a PS3 or a friend with a PS3.

- The game is tied to your PSN account, so if you use a friend's PS3 to register the copy in order to transfer, make sure you log in with your PSN account first, and not theirs.

- This doesn't work like the $10 transfers the PS4 had before. It's free, but you lose access on the PS3 version, and will have to buy it again if you want to come back
but who would?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom