• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - PS4 Beta |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jomjom

Banned
Always the same way mate.

How do the healers get a free mount? Can't I just swap my job to healer to get the mount? or begin as healer get mount then swap to dps?

You have to get to lvl 30 on Conjurer, at which point you can switch to the advanced job, White Mage. Once you do that, you get the mount. Once you have the mount, your character gets access to it regardless of what job you play.

Level 30 is super fast now with all the bonus xp the game throws out. Like doable in two or three days fast.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
You have to get to lvl 30 on Conjurer, at which point you can switch to the advanced job, White Mage. Once you do that, you get the mount. Once you have the mount, your character gets access to it regardless of what job you play.

Level 30 is super fast now with all the bonus xp the game throws out. Like doable in two or three days fast.

Sounds good.

Are quests conventional (IE, Go here, kill this, go there, collect that?)

SkyOdin

Sounds good.

Are quests conventional (IE, Go here, kill this, go there, collect that?)

For the most part yes. Most quests involve killing certain monsters, talking to specific NPCs, or visiting certain locations. The good news is that there are no quests that involve random drops. However, there are also a fair number of class and story quests that involve instances. Those can range from fun to somewhat tricky.

THere are some strange quests when you get to the beastman daily quests though; the ones the sylphs give in particular can be atypical (and obnoxious).

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
For the most part yes. Most quests involve killing certain monsters, talking to specific NPCs, or visiting certain locations. The good news is that there are no quests that involve random drops. However, there are also a fair number of class and story quests that involve instances. Those can range from fun to somewhat tricky.

THere are some strange quests when you get to the beastman daily quests though; the ones the sylphs give in particular can be atypical (and obnoxious).

A shame, but not unexpected. Thank you for the swift answers.

plake

So hyped for this. Picking up a bt keyboard tomorrow and then off to Eorzea. Already got PS3 copy of the game which I'll activate after the weekend to join in on the fun. See you on Ultros! (Still debating whether to be male or female cat though...)

IMBored

Will I still need my PS3 disk or will they be able to tell that I had/have a PS3 account? I won't have access to the disk for awhile

The PS3 disk literally just installs the base game, it isn't needed on the PS3. All you need is to log in once on the PS3 with your account (not even create a character) as that the only what for the license to show up on mog station.

The good news is that there are no quests that involve random drops.

I think Atma ones now are exactly that.

You guys who are just starting out are so lucky. This is one of the best MMOs I've played in a decade of playing this genre of games. It doesn't do anything new or innovative but what it does offer is a polished experience from new character to level cap. It's also a mainline numbered Final Fantasy and means a great story which is rare in MMOs, not to mention amazing visuals and sound.

Have fun in Eorzea, PS4 players!

So guarantee my free PS4 digital copy, should open an account on the PS3 digital copy I bought last December?

My only play time so far was in the first round of the ps4 beta.

plake

You guys who are just starting out are so lucky. This is one of the best MMOs I've played in a decade of playing this genre of games. It doesn't do anything new or innovative but what it does offer is a polished experience from new character to level cap. It's also a mainline numbered Final Fantasy and means a great story which is rare in MMOs, not to mention amazing visuals and sound.

Have fun in Eorzea, PS4 players!

Have played all betas since OG 1.0 but that only gave me a grasp of the game up until lv 25 ish. Thanks for the great post - I do look forward to playing til level cap and experiencing all of the story! :D

I'd suggest looking at which city you want to start in. Aesthetics plays into the enjoyment.

Then I'd suggest archer because they can move around and attack.

it's funny. I started off as an Archer in Phase 1 and loved the class a lot. As much as I don't mind starting as an Archer again, I'm gonna start off as a Pugilist

Heads up for those that downloaded it already: you need to go back to the PS Store, add it to your cart, and then confirm the $0 purchase for the Open Beta 2 Entitlement to appear on your services list. If it's already there then you're good to go.

Ryhian

I really enjoyed the first ps4 beta. Just purchased a ps3 copy to make playing on ps4 cheaper. Haven't played an MMO in years due to family life, so looking forward to hopping back in! Gonna roll on ultros to hopefully join some of you at some point.

Sophia

Heads up for those that downloaded it already: you need to go back to the PS Store, add it to your cart, and then confirm the $0 purchase for the Open Beta 2 Entitlement to appear on your services list. If it's already there then you're good to go.

Yup. Make sure you re-download if you have it already.

We have confirmed an issue wherein North American users who have downloaded the FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn (Beta Version) on the PlayStation®4 between Tuesday, April 1, and Thursday, April 3, at 4:00 p.m. (PDT) will be unable to properly log into the game.

If you have downloaded the Beta during the aforementioned time, you will need to return to PlayStation®Store and make your purchase again to resolve the issue. You will not need to re-download the software.

Here are the steps you will need to take to be able to correct the issue and participate in the Beta Test.

1. Log into the Sony Entertainment Network account that you used to download the Beta Test software.
2. On the PlayStation 4 home screen, navigate to PlayStation®Store and launch it.
3. On the menu, select “Games” > “New” > “New This Month” and navigate to the “FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn” content and select it.
4. Select “Add to Cart” and “Proceed to Checkout” and finally “Confirm Purchase”.

To confirm the issue has been resolved, simply navigate to the “Settings” menu on the PlayStation®4 home screen, select PSN℠ > Account Information > Services List > and select “FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn” where it should display “Open Beta 2 Entitlement” if the issue has been resolved.

The issue has been addressed for those downloading the Beta Test software from PlayStation®Store going forward.

Chesskid1

Banned
if i see a copy of this game for less than $15 for PC or PS3, should i buy it for the month trial?

assuming i moved to ps4 version

Got the client ready to go and this is going to be my first mmo in years. What server does US GAF play on mostly? Or at least what's the best server for beginners cause I'm sure I'll have no idea what I'm doing.

Korezo

if i see a copy of this game for less than $15 for PC or PS3, should i buy it for the month trial?

assuming i moved to ps4 version

A month sub is $15 so it's like a free copy. I posted a link earlier where newegg has ps3 version for $15, no tax or shipping fee. Bought it yesterday got it today.

So I was a warrier in beta 1 and liked the starting area so want to be a warrier again. However it seems being a warrier is looked down on here. What should I pick that's close to it but not a bad character?

Sophia

So I was a warrier in beta 1 and liked the starting area so want to be a warrier again. However it seems being a warrier is looked down on here. What should I pick that's close to it but not a bad character?

Warriors are fine and have been fine since Patch 2.1

All the classes are balanced; you're not going to be looked down upon for what class you can pick. Just remember that Warrior is a tank, not a damage dealer.

Warriors are fine and have been fine since Patch 2.1

All the classes are balanced; you're not going to be looked down upon for what class you can pick. Just remember that Warrior is a tank, not a damage dealer.

Yeah, from what I understand my main roll is just aggroing the enemy right?

First mmo :(

Sophia

Yeah, from what I understand my main roll is just aggroing the enemy right?

First mmo :(

That is one of your goals. You're trying to keep the enemy on you so everyone else can do your job. Another role you have is minimizing the amount of damage you take, through suns, interrupts, defensive cooldowns, and such.

Doing damage is something you do when everything else is going smoothly and you have resources to burn.

Never played an mmo before but if this impresses me today in the beta, I might just grab it. It's only £10 on pc or £8 on ps3 (which i could then upgrade to ps4), which is basically a burger king in money at that point.

Am I correct in thinking that if I was on ps4 or pc, a friend on ps3 could very easily team up with me and we could journey together?

I always find the square enix account stuff a bit daunting too, any time I've looked at it. Does playing on ps4/through psn simply that stuff a bit? Because given the visuals are basically the same and it supports kb+m on console, it doesn't seem like a terrible idea in this case to go for the ps4 version over the pc

Am I correct in thinking that if I was on ps4 or pc, a friend on ps3 could very easily team up with me and we could journey together? I always find the square enix account stuff a bit daunting too, any time I've looked at it.

Does playing on ps4/through psn simply that stuff a bit?

You are correct. Cross-platform adventuring! Not sure I understand exactly what you mean in your second question...

FatalT

Banned
Does playing on ps4/through psn simply that stuff a bit?
Not necessarily. You still use the same friends list as the PC version. If you're playing with someone on PS4 you could party chat with them though. If not then you should buy a super cheap USB keyboard to type chat with them.

35 minutes until the floodgates open!

You are correct. Cross-platform adventuring! Not sure I understand exactly what you mean in your second question...

Hey, thanks for the response man. That's a really great feature. Haha don't worry about it. Basically, years ago I looked at FFXI on pc and the account info/method of set-up activation etc totally confused me, so I've always kept that in mind, but I imagine it's much different now. I just meant can you basically just go without having to set up additional accounts etc since I already have a psn account, but don't worry about it. It's probably not even that bad.

Thanks for the response too @fatalt :)

Marceles

Never played an mmo before but if this impresses me today in the beta, I might just grab it. It's only £10 on pc or £8 on ps3 (which i could then upgrade to ps4), which is basically a burger king in money at that point.

Am I correct in thinking that if I was on ps4 or pc, a friend on ps3 could very easily team up with me and we could journey together?

I always find the square enix account stuff a bit daunting too, any time I've looked at it. Does playing on ps4/through psn simply that stuff a bit? Because given the visuals are basically the same and it supports kb+m on console, it doesn't seem like a terrible idea in this case to go for the ps4 version over the pc

Yup as long as you're on the same server you can team up. Just search their name on the server and add then as a friend on the game.

As far as PC vs. PS4, I guess you can't go wrong both ways. Square has gone on to say in some instances PS4 is better, but who knows. I think you'll be fine on PS4 though, it worked quite well on PS3 and the upgrade from it to PS4 has been pretty huge.

Rixa

Probably going to Zodiark server, tho dunno If I have time to play Beta phase 2. Atleast I try to do those early quests inside city (grabbing Thaumaturge).

Ultros is kinda tempting as being GAF "official" server, would it be ok to jump to Ultros and possible to (at somepoint) GAF Free Company? Iam from EU is that a problem?

Ozigizo

That is one of your goals. You're trying to keep the enemy on you so everyone else can do your job. Another role you have is minimizing the amount of damage you take, through suns, interrupts, defensive cooldowns, and such.

Doing damage is something you do when everything else is going smoothly and you have resources to burn.

All that and positioning is HUGE in XIV parties. I can't recommend enough that if you're tanking, you need to do research on dungeons/bosses prior to running them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom