• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - PS4 Beta |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmagus

Anyone have a really good guide on crafting? This is probably my weakest area and I'm trying to improve so I'm just wondering is there a good guide out there that can help me manage everything to get the max out of my crafts?

Number45

Anyone have a really good guide on crafting? This is probably my weakest area and I'm trying to improve so I'm just wondering is there a good guide out there that can help me manage everything to get the max out of my crafts?
I've been playing the game for weeks now and I still don't fully understand the crafting. Decided to get my main job to max level before worrying about it.

dramatis

Get everything to level 15, then focus Culinarian up to level 37 for the cross class ability Steady Hand II. Your primary instruments of low level leveling are Tricks of the Trade (Alchemist 15), Hasty Touch (Culinarian 15), Steady Hand II (Culinarian 37). As you level every 5 levels, you gain an additional cross class ability slot so you can add more as you go along.

Some people max Carpenter first to gain the CRP 50 ability, but it's possible to level across the board (I did) in increments of 5. Vertical leveling will get you to 50 probably faster, but horizontal leveling saves some money since you can make the materials you need across classes. The smartest (and laziest) method of leveling crafting is to hog a crafter at 50 of the class you want to level, and force them to make all of your HQ leve items, so you can dance around at your leisure instead.

I think of crafting as a turn based game, where you have a limited number of turns (Durability) to make as much Quality as you can and still have room left over to complete Progress. The cross class skills do various things to help in this process, like recovering CP, increasing success rate, recovering Durability (so you have more 'turns').

If you want to max out crafts, you have to burn leves. This is a good place to look up what leves are available, complete with information on the exp granted by each leve and the locations. If you produce an HQ item to hand in, the exp granted is doubled.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Maybe this will be helpful for a lot of general play: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/ps4/

Moreover, there should be pop ups that look like this:
rNax9t0.jpg

Click the touchpad twice to get to it, and then read carefully. If you're a complete newcomer to the game and to MMOs, these "Active Help" windows are very useful.

To view past Active Help topics, you can press Options on the DS4 and go to the System category in the Main Menu, 'Active Help' will be an option there.

I think active help is probably a good idea! Thanks.

Gaz_RB

Weird. After I couldn't login on the ps4, I went to try to log in online. It said the same thing, and when I tried to reset my password, it said the email was not linked to a SE account...

Number45

Also, how is questing with an archer? Are you constantly having to kite mobs to keep them at a distance?
You will, but you don't actually have to stop moving (and by default you'll auto turn towards your target) to fire off your skills at least in the 10 or so levels that I played of it.

Hey guys. I'm just curious about the controls. I've got this on my PC but I really want to get the PS4 version. Do the controls work well in general? Would there be any content that's not really viable to be played on the PS4?

Cmagus

Get everything to level 15, then focus Culinarian up to level 37 for the cross class ability Steady Hand II. Your primary instruments of low level leveling are Tricks of the Trade (Alchemist 15), Hasty Touch (Culinarian 15), Steady Hand II (Culinarian 37). As you level every 5 levels, you gain an additional cross class ability slot so you can add more as you go along.

Some people max Carpenter first to gain the CRP 50 ability, but it's possible to level across the board (I did) in increments of 5. Vertical leveling will get you to 50 probably faster, but horizontal leveling saves some money since you can make the materials you need across classes. The smartest (and laziest) method of leveling crafting is to hog a crafter at 50 of the class you want to level, and force them to make all of your HQ leve items, so you can dance around at your leisure instead.

I think of crafting as a turn based game, where you have a limited number of turns (Durability) to make as much Quality as you can and still have room left over to complete Progress. The cross class skills do various things to help in this process, like recovering CP, increasing success rate, recovering Durability (so you have more 'turns').

If you want to max out crafts, you have to burn leves. This is a good place to look up what leves are available, complete with information on the exp granted by each leve and the locations. If you produce an HQ item to hand in, the exp granted is doubled.

I have these skills already my crafts are all above 20. Thanks for the info I guess I need to learn the best way to balance everything as I'm 50 ARM and I can barely complete the lvl 30 story quest for my class.

Boss Man

Have they updated the game much since launch? I loved the graphics, art, and UI but I was put off by how linear the dungeons (and the game itself because everythig is tied to DF I guess) were. It also didn't feel like the jobs and classes were very well defined. Seemed like everything was just played really safely and lacking in depth.

I've been waiting to see what changes might come. Are there open dungeons or anything yet?

Hey guys. I'm just curious about the controls. I've got this on my PC but I really want to get the PS4 version. Do the controls work well in general? Would there be any content that's not really viable to be played on the PS4?
I assume the touch pad could add a lot, but the PS3 version felt great to me. Honestly, I think the game is most enjoyable with a controller. One issue I had was tabbing through enemies, which you can sort of bandaid by applying a filter in certain circumstances. I believe you can use KB and mouse if you want as well.

That's another thing I liked a lot about it. Felt wonderful to play on a controller. If only they could make the game itself deeper and more enjoyable for me lol.

Number45

Have they updated the game much since launch? I loved the graphics, art, and UI but I was put off by how linear the dungeons (and the game itself because everythig is tied to DF I guess) were. It also didn't feel like the jobs and classes were very well defined. Seemed like everything was just played really safely and lacking in depth.

I've been waiting to see what changes might come. Are there open dungeons or anything yet?
1.0 launch, or ARR launch?

Sophia

Everything is viable on the PS4, and I've personally played near everything the game has to offer with a Dualshock 4. However I recommend you invest in a keyboard of some sort.

1.0 launch, or ARR launch?

He said Duty Finder, so he's referring to ARR.

Zetta

My suggestion would be to do repeatable Leves if you're going to level them all together or do those leves with huge increments if you're only levelling one by one. I have all my crafts/gathering jobs at 50 and this is the quickest way. Repeatable leves have you tradin in a number of items three times per leve so they last longer. Handing in HQ items doubles the exp/gil value so keep that in mind. I found it more benefiting to level them together although it took longer. Also I recommend you level Miner/Bonatist to make you life a bit easier unless you have the gil to spend then nevermind it much since prices for mats have dropped since I levelled them. Once I get home I'll pm you a link to the site I use to spam repeatable leves.

T.O.P

Banned

Interested in this too, played the first month until i got relic and then i lost all my interest in the game :/

Sophia

Interested in this too, played the first month until i got relic and then i lost all my interest in the game :/

There's been a considerable amount of new dungeons (six new endgame dungeons at least, plus Crystal Tower and the Second Coil of Bahamut) as well as two new story arcs with associated Primals. Not much significant has happened with the classes yet, but they've all been balanced out and are pretty much equal in terms of performance. Dungeons and FATEs are currently both viable means of leveling. They've also added housing, a vanity system in the form of Glamors, and tons of new miscellaneous features like the challenge log and Duty Roulette.

Uh I wanted to try this, didn't play the original beta on PS4 either. The psn store link didn't give me a download option. Is there anything else I need to do to get access? Make a se account or something?

edit: nvm It worked now

Sophia

Goddamn the text is really hard to read. Is there any way of adjusting that?

You can manually resize the entire UI under System Configuration > Display Settings. If this isn't enough, set the option above it to Standard.

If it's just specific elements, you can find them in the HUD configuration and click R3 to resize anywhere between 60% to 140%

Chat Log can be modified by Character Configuration > Log Window and selecting a font size there.

Baleoce

Thinking of hopping on that Tesco deal for PS4 seen as I have a free copy of ARR through PS3. Can anyone tell me what hte zone loading times are like in this PS4 version?

Interfectum

You will have to start as an Arcanist. However, Arcanists can summon pets when they reach level 4.

To unlock Summoner, you will need to level Arcanist to level 30 and Thaumaturge to level 15.

Thanks.

Final question: How does the ARC/SUM play with a PS4 controller? I've noticed that the pets have their own skillset too. Does it get overwhelming on a controller or can you have the pets autocast their skills?

Sophia

Thanks.

Final question: How does the ARC/SUM play with a PS4 controller? I've noticed that the pets have their own skillset too. Does it get overwhelming on a controller or can you have the pets autocast their skills?

By default, pets will automatically use all of their abilities. If you wish, you can manually control it.

What I do for my Scholar is put her four abilities on my standard action bar, and boss her around that way. For Summoner I just don't bother and leave them on auto.

It's probably the hardest class to play on controller, but it is by no means impossible.

I assume the touch pad could add a lot, but the PS3 version felt great to me. Honestly, I think the game is most enjoyable with a controller. One issue I had was tabbing through enemies, which you can sort of bandaid by applying a filter in certain circumstances. I believe you can use KB and mouse if you want as well.

That's another thing I liked a lot about it. Felt wonderful to play on a controller. If only they could make the game itself deeper and more enjoyable for me lol.

There is a lot of new content since 2.0 and many quality of life improvements but I don't think you will find what you are looking for. All of the jobs and classes still lack the amount of depth and customization you are probably hoping for, but they are very well defined and balanced in my opinion. Dungeons are still mostly linear with the most challenging content reserved for EX Primal Battles and Coil. The new dungeons are very good though. There are no open dungeons.

Below is a sample of the new content since the game launched roughly 7 months ago. This isn't everything but touches on most of the major addtions (looking at this now is actually kind of staggering):

Retainer Ventures
Treasure Hunts
Free Company Housing
Free Company Gardening
Big Fishing
Master Crafting (*** Crafting)
Gathering (** Star Gathering)
Glamour System (Vanity)
New Equipment Dyes
New Minions
New Mounts
Challenge Log
Duty Roulette
Wolves' Den (PVP - Arena Based)
New Music
New FATEs
New Quests
New Relic Upgrade Quest (allows weapon customization and will continue with further upgrades in future patches)
Hildabrand Side Story Questline
Main Storyline Expansion (at LEAST 10 additional hours of content or more)

Beastman Tribe Story and Daily Quests:
Amalj'aa
Sylph
Sahagin
Kobold

New Primal Battles:
Moogle Mog HM
Moogle Mog EX
Leviathan HM
Leviathan EX
Ultima HM
Garuda EX
Ifrit EX
Titan EX

New Trials:
Battle on the Bridge
Gilgamesh

New Dungeons/Raids:
Copperbell HM
Haukke Manor HM
Pharos Sirius
Halatali HM
Brayflox HM
Lost City of Amdapor
Crystal Tower
Second Coil of Bahamut

New Gear:
PVP Gear
i70 Dungeon
i80 Crystal Tower
i90 Crafted
i70 Crafting/Gathering
Primal (EX) Accessories
Vanity Gear

i100+ Gear:
Leviathan Weapons
Relic Atma/Animus
Moogle Mog Ribbons
Gerolt/Soldiery
High Allagan

etc.

Interfectum

By default, pets will automatically use all of their abilities. If you wish, you can manually control it.

What I do for my Scholar is put her four abilities on my standard action bar, and boss her around that way. For Summoner I just don't bother and leave them on auto.

It's probably the hardest class to play on controller, but it is by no means impossible.

Thanks. I pretty much play pet classes in every RPG/MMO/etc I can so just making sure all is cool for this one. Summoner sounds badass as hell.

Thanks. I pretty much play pet classes in every RPG/MMO/etc I can so just making sure all is cool for this one. Summoner sounds badass as hell.

Summoner is arguably the best DPS in the game right now but it takes a considerable amount of effort (or skill) to reach and maintain that level of performance.

dramatis

I have these skills already my crafts are all above 20. Thanks for the info I guess I need to learn the best way to balance everything as I'm 50 ARM and I can barely complete the lvl 30 story quest for my class.
There's a certain rotation you can use for low level crafts. To understand the 'why' of the rotation though, you have to understand that you can save Progress abilities for the last 20 or so durability (if low level craft, should be ok to save for last 10). The initial part of a craft is always the "Quality Phase", the time when you expel CP and Durability increasing Quality.

My skill rotation always starts with "Inner Quiet" and "Steady Hand 2" and then I "Hasty Touch" until Durability needs recovery or "Steady Hand" falls off. For Durability recovery, I use "Manipulation" instead of other Durability recovery abilities because I'm more dynamic about crafting and less rotation oriented, so "Manipulation" suits me. Around 20/40 durability left, or 20/70, or 20/80, you should be thinking about durability recovery.

As the stack of "Inner Quiet" increases, you get higher and higher quality bonus for your touches. So a "Hasty Touch" at 1 stack of "Inner Quiet" is shit, but a "Hasty Touch" at 7 "Inner Quiet" is decent at upping quality. Even without the more special skills that expel "Inner Quiet", at a lot of stacks you can combine "Great Strides" with a Basic Touch to send that quality up a lot.

There are people who would not recommend Hasty Touching because of its failure rate, but I flew by the seat of my pants (and by lots of HQ mats...).

This was made by a guy on GAF I think, it will let you mess around and perhaps better understand how to HQ craft.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Lack of framerate cap aside, this seems like a perfect port and I'm sure that'll be an easy option to add anyway.

Only problem is I'm so entirely lost with my character I may just start a new one. Though I would have to give up my precious Ultros slot.

What server would be best for EU that I can still get in to?

HeelPower

why are the map and battlelog so tiny ?

Can I adjust that ?

The difference between this and the PS3 version is quite huge graphically wow.

You can use the /uiscale command to scale the UI down. It accepts values from 60 to 140 (percentages).

It's really fine, I'm just quoting Zoolander.

I know it's not the "official" server, but I'm on Behemoth because of some friends. If anyone else is on Behemoth feel free to hit me up PSN: The_Octodad.

Aeana

why are the map and battlelog so tiny ?

Can I adjust that ?

The difference between this and the PS3 version is quite huge graphically wow.
Yes. Press R3 with those windows in focus and you can cycle through sizes. Or you can use the /uiscale command to scale everything at once.
EDIT: Oh if you're talking about the chat window, then you can make it larger and increase the font size. You'll need to use the mouse cursor to drag the top right of the chat window to make it larger.

HeelPower

Yes. Press R3 with those windows in focus and you can cycle through sizes. Or you can use the /uiscale command to scale everything at once.
EDIT: Oh if you're talking about the chat window, then you can make it larger and increase the font size. You'll need to use the mouse cursor to drag the top right of the chat window to make it larger.

thanks.What about the map size ? How can I change that ? :O

Idk why the sizes changed from the PS3 version.I guess it has to with the resolution changes ? :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom