• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - PS4 Beta |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeana

thanks.What about the map size ? How can I change that ? :O

Idk why the sizes changed from the PS3 version.I guess it has to with the resolution changes ? :eek:
I believe the minimap is one of the things you can resize in the HUD Layout screen. Press start and go all the way to the right to find that. Select the minimap, then press R3 there to cycle through cycles once it's selected.

studyguy

For anyone who gets seriously into the title and considers subbing, I'd seriously recommend getting a security token or at least downloading the free app for Android/iPhone.

It makes your account way, way more secure and SE rewards you by letting you pick a location to teleport to for free ingame when you apply it to the account.

HeelPower

I believe the minimap is one of the things you can resize in the HUD Layout screen. Press start and go all the way to the right to find that. Select the minimap, then press R3 there to cycle through cycles once it's selected.

Thanks.

It seems even with everything set to make to max, they might not be big enough for my eyes.

I don't know what's up.

dramatis

TLnXGo4.jpg

Don't mind me.

reson8or

I managed to do the PS3>PS4 transfer stuff before heading to work, now have about 7 hours before I can actually play :(

Tried to do remote play, but could not connect. Might have to open up the Vita ports on my router when I get home. Found the official Sony Vita port forwarding page here.

If anyone else has any recommendations on getting remote play to work outside your home, please share.

Ricker

So they say we dont have to redownload the beta if you go in the store and add to cart but I see 11GB anyway...I played the previous beta...it still sees my launcher from 2/24...?

IMBored

So they say we dont have to redownload the beta if you go in the store and add to cart but I see 11GB anyway...I played the previous beta...it still sees my launcher from 2/24...?

That's just if you downloaded the client after the psn update this week, the phase 1 beta is worthless.

HeelPower

I am literally just running around in the game enjoying the sights.Not doing any quests or battles and just experiencing the differences between this version and the PS3 version.

I can't believe how good it looks.Its not even supposed to look that good.Its an online game!

Sophia

That only applies to the people who didn't get the service added between April 1st and April 3rd.

You MUST delete the original beta from phase 1. It is useless now.

I am literally just running around in the game enjoying the sights.Not doing any quests or battles and just experiencing the differences between this version and the PS3 version.

I can't believe how good it looks.Its not even supposed to look that good.Its an online game!

The performance is truly amazing. Near perfect 60 FPS outside of cities, and I have yet to see it drop below 30 FPS.

Jomjom

Banned

And dat framerate! Also i no longer have to set my party member's effects to limited and everyone else's to OFF. Makes my ps3 version look like a slideshow.

Gaz_RB

Ok, almost in. Had some suspicious activity crap and had to change my password.
Can you explain how you did this? I can't get it to change my password, and it's saying that my email is not registered to that account when I did.
Mine also is doing the suspicious activity BS.

11 GB? Guess the disc version is the way to go for most people.
Also, the security things come with the CE of the PS4 game, right? I pre-ordered it missing out on it the first time around. Sure I am paying 40 for a game I already own, but the goodies call to me.

Aeana

I'm disappointed with the mouse controls on Vita. It doesn't click where you tap, it just drags the mouse cursor relative to where it already was when you drag anywhere on the screen. I saw in the control options there's a mouse setting for it and it's set to "relative," but it's grayed out and you can't change it. Seems like that's precisely the option that it needs.

pyrandes

Atma grinding in bed on the vita will be fantastic later tonite when I get home from work (only 9 more left! -_-).

Due to being a keyboard jockey for my 4man duty runs, switching it up to use a ps4 pad for tanking will be interesting. I would prefer to learn to use it a bit more for duties, as Im aware i could setup a kbm/mouse on the ps4 for it as well.

I cannot say I am a huge fan of the controller when I played it. It seems to not be as responsive as the number buttons on a keyboard. Probably because I get confused on which trigger to hold. The controls work for the most part, but it really hinders you once you get into the parts of the games that rely on quick rotations. However, it is probably the best MMO controls on a console.

Glad the PS4 version allows use of a KB + Mouse interface though. Will be using that method to play the game.

Gaz_RB

I'm disappointed with the mouse controls on Vita. It doesn't click where you tap, it just drags the mouse cursor relative to where it already was when you drag anywhere on the screen. I saw in the control options there's a mouse setting for it and it's set to "relative," but it's grayed out and you can't change it. Seems like that's precisely the option that it needs.

I was just thinking how amazing it would be if the vita touch screen could do just that with FF14. Hopefully they patch it in.

studyguy

I cannot say I am a huge fan of the controller when I played it. It seems to not be as responsive as the number buttons on a keyboard. Probably because I get confused on which trigger to hold. The controls work for the most part, but it really hinders you once you get into the parts of the games that rely on quick rotations. However, it is probably the best MMO controls on a console.

Glad the PS4 version allows use of a KB + Mouse interface though. Will be using that method to play the game.

Wholly depends on the job.
So far I've tanked and DPS'd every instance in the game barring T7 on controller.
The only job I'd say that suffers a bit from controller in a serious way is healers since keyboard/mouse gives a lot more options to healers (mouse over heals, etc). Other than the vast majority of the jobs are fine on controller.

Aeana

It's just different, not worse. You get used to it. I have done every single piece of content in the game up through turn 6 of Coil as a healer on a controller. The responsiveness issue may be due to the wireless nature of the controller, though. I use a wired controller on PC.

Baleoce

Yup I really hope that's in the final build, or patched in sometime shortly after.

HeelPower

The performance is truly amazing. Near perfect 60 FPS outside of cities, and I have yet to see it drop below 30 FPS.

And dat framerate! Also i no longer have to set my party member's effects to limited and everyone else's to OFF. Makes my ps3 version look like a slideshow.

Some locations were hit really hard in the ps3 version. Gridania due to the vegetation and particularly Limsa Lominsa.I guess because of its complex architecture.

It's just different, not worse. You get used to it. I have done every single piece of content in the game up through turn 6 of Coil as a healer on a controller. The responsiveness issue may be due to the wireless nature of the controller, though. I use a wired controller on PC.
That is true I would say. I did not mean to imply the controller is worse than the keyboard. It is just since you are limited to how many buttons you have, the controller uses the L and R trigger and d-pad/button to replicate the feeling of a hot key. It works in classes where you only really do 3-5 attacks like Monk and Black Mage. However, for classes that multitask like Scholar the controller really does not get the job done as much as a keyboard would.

I was just saying that a controller for an MMO is a hard thing to get exactly right. It is commendable the solutions they did. I just think the keyboard and mouse is the ideal control for the MMO genre. The only exception I can think is Phantasy Star which was built more like an RPG than an MMO.

Yet, what you say is true. The controller is not bad in any way. I actually like the set-up for a Monk. Cycling through the stances is pretty easy on a controller.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i play SCH on controller all day

kb/m is probably my least favorite control schemes for games (next to waggle)

Another advocate for controller over m&k. I tank heal and dd with it no problem. But, I haven't done much in terms of extreme primals and coils 5+

My reason for going controller since the start was because of the PS4 version. I'm so used to playing it with a controller that when I switch completelly from PC to PS4 it will be seamless.

My char's name is Kyuyuna Shadowsun on Excalibur server if any Gaffers want some help with the duty finder queues (I usually queue as tank)

Isaccard

i play SCH on controller all day

kb/m is probably my least favorite control schemes for games (next to waggle)

Prime rib steak isint for everyone.

In any case it all comes down to preference.
If I had to guess id suspect the 2.5 GCD has a lot to do with it.

That said, I dare you to play a level 50 Summoner on a controller.

studyguy

I've done it just fine through coil 1-5, it's not bad at all.
But you are right, it probably depends on the person.

Aeana

I do it all the time. What do I win?
It was more difficult before 2.1 added two more easily accessible button palettes by pressing L2->R2 or R2->L2, but was still doable. But now it's so easy to do anything you could possibly need to do, including pet management.

Grinchy

Banned
Damn, I assumed this thing would take forever to download the 580mb update but it's going at 3mb/s. Nice servers.

Sophia

I've pretty much done almost everything Aeana has too as a healer and as a tank. I was just using my Dualshock 4 on the PS4 beta with no issues, and it's what I use on the PC side as well. Responsiveness is not an issue.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Something weird just happened. Installed the beta on PS4 yesterday and wanted to try it out today. Downloaded all the updates, created my character and named her - and boom... no server connection possible. Had to close the app and now the game isn't on my PS4 anymore. Nothing shows up in my notifications, where it mentions updates and games you downloaded.

Is this a regular PS4 thing? So weird, der think I'll bother downloading again if this keeps happening. This would have been my first MMO experience ever and the whole presentation and Chara creation also made a very good impression :-/

Ok me no understand this. I downloaded beta 2 client and logged in but I have two FfXIV's names after I log in (1 & 2)Which do I use and am I supposed to transfer my old ps3 characters before doing any of this or can I do that from here when I log in? I want to continue from where I left off on ps3

Sophia

Something weird just happened. Installed the beta on PS4 yesterday and wanted to try it out today. Downloaded all the updates, created my character and named her - and boom... no server connection possible. Had to close the app and now the game isn't on my PS4 anymore. Nothing shows up in my notifications, where it mentions updates and games you downloaded.

Is this a regular PS4 thing? So weird, der think I'll bother downloading again if this keeps happening. This would have been my first MMO experience ever and the whole presentation and Chara creation also made a very good impression :-/

You may need to "redownload"/"purchase" the beta again from the store.There was an issue regarding applying the beta services to PSN accounts that has now been fixed. It shouldn't take more than a second if the game is still on your system.

Ok me no understand this. I downloaded beta 2 client and logged in but I have two FfXIV's names after I log in (1 & 2)Which do I use and am I supposed to transfer my old ps3 characters before doing any of this or can I do that from here when I log in? I want to continue from where I left off on ps3

If you had a version of the game previously, then your characters are (probably) on Service 1, and that is what you should use.

Tapping a touch screen on the Vita is about as accurate as tapping the touch screen on a smartphone. I think it would be hard to hit the small UI elements if it worked like that. Also your finger would cover up what you are tapping on making it hard to see if you hit it or not. The current design lets you position a cursor and tap anywhere.

I agree that the option for directly tapping should be there so people who want to use the option have it. I just don't really think it would work better than what we have now.

Aeana

You may need to redownload the game again from the store.There was an issue regarding applying the beta services to PSN accounts that has now been fixed. It shouldn't take more than a second if the game is still on your system.

To note, you do not have to redownload. Simply go into the store, choose the game, add it to your cart, complete the checkout. It'll fix the game without having to actually download it again.

Isaccard

I do it all the time. What do I win?
It was more difficult before 2.1 added two more easily accessible button palettes by pressing L2->R2 or R2->L2, but was still doable. But now it's so easy to do anything you could possibly need to do, including pet management.

A page full of walnut logs. Will ship at the end of the business day. Customer satisfaction not guaranteed, ymmv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom