• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - PS4 Beta |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkylineRKR

Downloading again. Provider just upped the speed to 90mbit, so it'll be there soon.

This time progress will stay, right? I was a level 20 Gladiator on the prev beta but I thought the class was sort of limited.

Is Marauder more fun to start with?

Ok I downloaded the beta for ps4 this morning, set up an account and was playing for quite a few hours. Logged off for a few hours then went back and now it's saying my password is incorrect. I have changed it twice now in case and I know it's correct so now I'm just giving up Since I don't know what to do.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How does this beta phase work?

I assumed it was free open beta until release on the 14th, then you had to purchase.

I just read somewhere that it is only going to run through the 7th, then shut down, and everyone will have to wait until the 14th to play again?

Looks like a new server (Jenova) was created for the new PS4 peeps. Do you guys think it's better to start there if I'm new to FFXIV so the economy is still in its infancy or would I be fine to just join Ultros with its matured economy and not get screwed over in the long run?

Leveled a marauder up to lvl. 10, having a pretty fun time actually. Some of the fates have been really great. The horseshoe rock formation in the field past the zephyr gate, I had a few really good battles against the big guy there with some randoms. I quite like it, considering grabbing the ps3 version for the free upgrade to ps4. Is that offer permanent, or is there a time limit on it? Stupidly picked an eu server, maybe roll a ranged guy for the ultros server tomorrow. I'm prettym uch playing alone anyway so would have been wiser to go ranged.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Level 5 on Ultros. Not even close to being as populated as when the first beta was out. Still, not as messy.

1st Beta only had a few servers open, and everyone was level 20 or less, I believe. 5-10 servers?

Ultros is pretty populated, but it's probably only in the #15-20 in the overall populated servers running the game. I'd figure later today, you'll see more people in the early zones, as they load in the game.

Oh yeah, that Pink Marauder dress...yeah, that didn't last long in my inventory :lol

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
You may need to "redownload"/"purchase" the beta again from the store.There was an issue regarding applying the beta services to PSN accounts that has now been fixed. It shouldn't take more than a second if the game is still on your system.
Can't repurchase it from the store. The whole data is gone from the PS4 HDD, this is so weird I just don't get how not being able to connect to the server automatically deletes the whole data from the PS4.

Will download it again tonight, but what a bummer....

Sophia

This is on PS4??

Is the performance noticeably better than Phase 1?

Significantly better than Phase 1. I was getting noticeable drops around Gridania, where as now it's fairly stable.

How does this beta phase work?

I assumed it was free open beta until release on the 14th, then you had to purchase.

I just read somewhere that it is only going to run through the 7th, then shut down, and everyone will have to wait until the 14th to play again?

It will run until the 7th. The weekend essentially.

Looks like a new server (Jenova) was created for the new PS4 peeps. Do you guys think it's better to start there if I'm new to FFXIV so the economy is still in its infancy or would I be fine to just join Ultros with its matured economy and not get screwed over in the long run?

You don't really need to interact with the economy on your way from 1 to 50. By the time you are 50 if you haven't been spending wastefully or at all you will have a few hundred thousand Gil just from questing. At 50 you can just grind dungeons to gear up and ignore the economy if you desire. Essentially you don't NEED money at any given point in this game.

I think that starting on a new server is fine if you aren't joining a group of friends, you can experience the "new MMO smell" with everyone else all going in fresh and discovering it together instead of being with jaded and cynical veterans on an established server.

Of course you have about 470 new friends ready to go if you join GAF on Ultros so the decision is yours to make. This game has server transfers so you could start on a new server and see how you like it and transfer to a GAF server later too if you wanted.

Can I get trophies on this beta? Will it use the same trophy list as PS3 version as I got a few on those. I'd rather it did tbh rather than being stackable with a new but identical set.

I mean, really

https://twitter.com/SirMossy/status/452139333760581632

nFuAqZ3hxI

hahah awesome.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Not enjoying this. The constant unnecessary text for quests is very boring and annoying, the quests themselves are dull and I've yet to receive a quest where I can use combat. Will try and stick with it.

You don't really need to interact with the economy on your way from 1 to 50. By the time you are 50 if you haven't been spending wastefully or at all you will have a few hundred thousand Gil just from questing. At 50 you can just grind dungeons to gear up and ignore the economy if you desire. Essentially you don't NEED money at any given point in this game.

I think that starting on a new server is fine if you aren't joining a group of friends, you can experience the "new MMO smell" with everyone else all going in fresh and discovering it together instead of being with jaded and cynical veterans on an established server.

Of course you have about 470 new friends ready to go if you join GAF on Ultros so the decision is yours to make. This game has server transfers so you could start on a new server and see how you like it and transfer to a GAF server later too if you wanted.
Thanks for answering! You can't beat playing with friends so Ultros it is.

dramatis

Not enjoying this. The constant unnecessary text for quests is very boring and annoying, the quests themselves are dull and I've yet to receive a quest where I can use combat. Will try and stick with it.
If you're picking up every quest, of course you're not getting any combat quests. Your first class quest already tells you to go outside and smack stuff, what you're doing is picking up all the sidequests that teach you how to get around, learn about item pickups, etc. and earn you some exp and money on the side.

Moreover, you can focus on main scenario quests alone if you want to, with an icon that looks like this:

Ffxivarrmainscenarioquesticon.jpg

That would get you on the combat track pretty quickly.

You may just be doing the sidequest stuff in whatever town you're in. If you are doing the main storyline quests, you would've been in combat within the first 15 minutes of the game.

If anything, just run outside of the town and join a couple of FATE's really quick to get a taste of combat and to level up and obtain some new skills.

Coins

Banned
So can I transfer my ps3 account to my ps4 now? And will I be able to just keep playing or does this beta close?

Another random question about the ps3 to ps4 upgradE: Will there be any funny business like with BF4 where we'll have to forever put in the ps3 disc when you're playing the ps4 version? Or will you be free of the ps3 disc post upgrade?

IMBored

Another random question about the ps3 to ps4 upgradE: Will there be any funny business like with BF4 where we'll have to forever put in the ps3 disc when you're playing the ps4 version? Or will you be free of the ps3 disc post upgrade?

After the license transfer you lose the ability too play on the PS3, but you won't ever need to put the disk on the PS4.

Are you doing the main story quests or hub camp quests?
Most of the introductory quests inside the starting city are fetch quests to make you run around and get to know the city. If you follow the main story quests you'll have plenty of new places to go and combat/dungeons.

EDIT: took to long to post with tab open >.>

Aeana

If you plan to be playing at release and want to join us on Ultros, feel free to apply at http://neogaf.guildwork.com and send an application in-game. We freed up a bunch of space from people who haven't played in 2+ months, so we should be able to accommodate lots of folks.

Haven't played since the end of January, but I'm really excited to get back to Eorzea. Getting everything set up is taking forever!

Maybe I'll finally be able to take down Garuda EM.

If you plan to be playing at release and want to join us on Ultros, feel free to apply at http://neogaf.guildwork.com and send an application in-game. We freed up a bunch of space from people who haven't played in 2+ months, so we should be able to accommodate lots of folks.

Will register later tonight after I create my character and come up with a name. So excited to play a MMO again.

Cool, thanks for the link. I am planning to make a Scholar and Monk. I am not a huge fan of the Tank classes, but DPS is so much fun.
Edit: I joined way too late to get into a PS3 guild. PS4 should be fine though.

kaioshade

Has anyone who played the PS4 version ran higher level content, large fates, etc?

I know the performance is fine in cities and in barren dungeons, but i want to know the high choke points, how those run.

aceface

For those on Ultros, it's mainly active in the evening hours in North America. It's the working North American person's server.

For those on Ultros, it's mainly active in the evening hours in North America. It's the working North American person's server.

Works for me. See, I work 8-5 and really can only afford to play during evenings. A server active at night is perfect for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom