• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - PS4 Beta |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z3M0G

Any hints at Resolution / Frame Rate yet?

I play on PC at 1080p, 60fps most of the time. I just can't run full effects (reflections, etc).

The whole point of me playing on PS4 is for it to look better than it does on my PC. 1080p/60fps/full effects should be EASY to hit on PS4...

I play on PC at 1080p, 60fps most of the time. I just can't run full effects (reflections, etc).

The whole point of me playing on PS4 is for it to look better than it does on my PC. 1080p/60fps/full effects should be EASY to hit on PS4...

PS4 is 1080p/30fps.

Aeana

60 FPS isn't a realistic expectation for an MMO. The highest-end PCs can't even sustain 60 FPS in FF14 when there's a lot of people doing stuff on the screen.

Is this definite? If so... massively disappointing...

Edit: “Final Fantasy XIV” Will Run At 1080p, 60 FPS On PS4

That was old news/debunked. It's 30 FPS.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
All registered and ready to go! The registration menu music is heavenly.

Sorry, should have mentioned I did click that yesterday and for some reason nothings on my PS4 so I figured I'd try manually......will try again thanks.
Oh weird. Let us know if you figure out a solution.

Aeana

not true.

The frame rate is unlocked. The target was minimum 30 fps, but it can go as high as 60.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/02...o-60-fps-at-1080p-limited-due-to-heat-issues/

This is weird. Here is a quote from Yoshida earlier:

Does it run in 60 FPS in full HD?

Yoshida: The PS4 edition is focused on getting characters drawn on screen rather than retaining 60 FPS. Even so, there's no particular advantage to maintaining 60 FPS in a MMO.

Makes sense. So for a MMO you're keeping it at 30 FPS so that you can get all of the character on screen.

Yoshida: Yes, it'll be fixed to 30 FPS and we'll instead be trying to get the maximum amount of rendering with that.

So I guess they flip-flopped a bunch on it.

d0c_zaius

60 FPS isn't a realistic expectation for an MMO. The highest-end PCs can't even sustain 60 FPS in FF14 when there's a lot of people doing stuff on the screen.

dunno about you but FF14 runs at 60fps most of the time I am playing on PC. I don't think people assume during crazy overloads it will maintain that.

Sophia

So I guess they flip-flopped a bunch on it.

Yup. They've been going back and fourth on the framerate. First they said it was 60 FPS, then they said it was 30 FPS, now as of recent interviews they're saying it's unlocked and tries to aim for 60 FPS.

not true.

The frame rate is unlocked. The target was minimum 30 fps, but it can go as high as 60.

Expected to be honest.
There is no way they can know how many players will be in a town at one time.
Even my GTX760 will hit sub 30fps @ 720p sometimes with this game.
I have everything maxed though.

yeah, it sounds like it. (regarding the flip-flopping)

I guess they were thinking they would lock it to 30 at first.. but thought some people might enjoy the higher frame rate even if it wasn't locked at 60.

Could be like the PC version in that there's an option to lock it to 30 for more consistent performance.

Coins

Banned
I bought this for the ps3 but never played it due to hard drive space and I was hoping I could get it for free on ps4 which seems like that's exactly what will happen. Am I going to have to create an account on ps3 to get it to carry over to the ps4? I'd rather just access it on my ps4.

Z3M0G

I don't care about sustaining... I expect fluctuating FPS during an MMO... I want 60fps during cutscenes and solo play, which I already get on my crappy PC...

not true.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/02...o-60-fps-at-1080p-limited-due-to-heat-issues/

Hoping for this!

Either way, we'll find out tonight! :D

Ricker

I doubt it will be 60 fps...specially today when everyone will be running around in the starting areas lol...the game will probably lag even at first because of this...

Aeana

I don't care about sustaining... I expect fluctuating FPS during an MMO... I want 60fps during cutscenes and solo play, which I already get on my crappy PC...

Well, read up. Apparently they changed their minds and it's capped at 60 FPS.

Kuro

not true.

Wait isn't this some significant news? Could the PS4's cooling be causing issues with devs trying to hit 60 with really good graphics? This is the first I've heard of heat issues. Why would running the GPU at max cause heat issues unless it has a variable max clockrate? Didn't Sony design its cooling solution to support the GPU they put it in it? Does it overclock by itself? What is going on?

Hellers

I'm currently trying to patch my PC version so I can at least play a bit tonight while I wait for the PS4 version to go live. Can't even connect with the launcher :) STOP CRASHING THE SERVERS PLS :)

I didn't get to a very high level when I first played. Spent far too much time levelling alternative jobs but I really enjoyed it.

Top tip. Consider healing or tanking. Dungeons queues will pop really fast for you. It's the reason I was last levelling healing.

Sophia

Wait isn't this some significant news? Could the PS4's cooling be causing issues with devs trying to hit 60 with really good graphics? This is the first I've heard of heat issues. Why would running the GPU at max cause heat issues unless it has a variable max clockrate? Didn't Sony design its cooling solution to support the GPU they put it in it? Does it overclock by itself? What is going on?

No need to jump to conclusions. Any hardware will have heat issues if you push it far enough, and MMOs can be pretty demanding games on the CPU end.

Phamit

SE presented the ps4 to german Journalists recently in Hamburg. The framerate was unlocked, a lot at 60 fps, but dropping when action were shown, but not under 30 fps. That was the only one Impression i saw, well i dont read or watch a lot of the german gaming press.

Can't find this on EU store - is it up yet?

Go to the webstore and search for beta, it doesn't show up on the ps4 store

Kuro

No need to jump to conclusions. Any hardware will have heat issues if you push it far enough, and MMOs can be pretty demanding games on the CPU end.

But on my PC if I test my GPU at its standard clockrate with 100% load the temps don't really change from regular gaming use. Could this mean the PS4 GPU has its own overclocking ability?

Sophia

But on my PC if I test my GPU at its standard clockrate with 100% load the temps don't really change from regular gaming use. Could this mean the PS4 GPU has its own overclocking ability?

Your PC is not crammed into a box 1/5th of the size. =P

Heat concerns are always an issue for every console, it's nothing new there. Plus it's not just the GPU they have to worry about. Other components are an issue too. Notice Yoshida's use of the term: "As expected."

dramatis

You will need to know this if you plan on playing with controller.

Targeting is possible with using the touchpad mouse, but it's probably fairly inefficient targeting on a controller that way. The main method of targeting on controller is the DPad. However, in its default form it's not particularly efficient either, which is where target filters come in.

Your Parameters Bar should look like this if you have not modified anything:
CBZkMH2.jpg

Notably, the ALL text indicates how your current targeting system works. Under ALL, the DPad targeting will select NPC, objects, Enemies, Players, Party Members, everything. There's a degree of discrimination involved in selecting a target (generally selects something in the direction your character faces, closer to the center of the screen) but in terms of what you will select under ALL, it's everything that can be selected.

When you're in battle with a party whacking 5 enemies, you don't want to be targeting your allies. Which is where target filters come in.

On PS3 the main menu comes up using the START button, I'm assuming on PS4 the main menu pops using the OPTIONS button. Your best friend is Character Configuration under System.

The Character Configuration window starts with "Control Settings" (see here on the left side) highlighted and displayed by default. If you're not there, head up to that section and then R1 over to the 'Filters' tab.
The top section, "Target Filter Settings", is for two situations specifically, which is determines what you can target based on whether or not your weapon is drawn. I don't use this, but if you think it'll be enough to just have this difference, then feel free to use it.

I use the "Filter Customization" section below it.
The buttons to activate the filter are shown clearly, and you can set exactly what kinds of targets you want for each filter. It comes with some presets that fill basic wants. Switching filters in battle is as fast as switching hotbars.

If you set that up, on the field while you switch you should be able to see them like this:
r3GkLxD.jpg

One of the advantages to using the presets is that it comes with a name, whereas anything you edit yourself will be labeled CUSTOM. However, given enough time and use, you tend to get used to your own filter system anyway.

Random helpful tip: generally speaking, no matter what window you have open, if you press in the right analog stick (R3), you can change the size of the window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom