• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - PS4 Beta |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

yursnhere

Wow, this is a giant improvement over the PS3 version. I actually was able to complete Garuda HM without getting hit or dying tonight. I basically gave up on any advanced dungeon or HM primal because the slowdown and lag in the PS3 version. I was always always hit by AOEs and people hated me! I have it in full HD and I've noticed no slowdown so far.

I'm still trying to get used to the HUD and small boxes in the chat and mini maps. Anyone know how to increase those box sizes?

Took me about an hour to download the big 12 gigabyte file and the subsequent updates.

Man this looks so pretty, much smoother than the PS3 version for sure.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Can anyone help me out? I'm trying to play but I can't get past the initial screens. I'm able to accept the licence agreement but on the next screen where it tells you you'll need to link your accounts and stuff I press next and nothing happens. It's just totally stuck. I've looked around but haven't seen anything. Anyone have any advice?

yamo

The fan noice from my PS4 while playing this game makes me afraid that it will take of and go into orbit. Anyone elses PS4 that have to work really hard while playing this game?

Raoh

HOLY SHIT!

This is totally awesome on the Vita now!

Dare I say I prefer using it more than the dual shock 4 due to the much larger touch pad real estate.

Vita = life

Looks good, using the back pad will be difficult for parties and soloing tough mobs.

I'll be using mine to craft, mine, sell, gear swap/upgrade.

Prototype

PS3 version was unplayable for all end game events. Releasing the game on PS3 was a pretty shady move imo. That said, I did have fun with it up until then. Here's hoping the PS4 can actually display enemies and party members, and that I'll be able to see enemies like Behemoth.

Is the end game community still as toxic as it was? Between the terrible PS3 version and one of the ugliest communities I've ever been a part of, I declined to sub. Have things gotten better?

Eusis

The PS3 version probably started becoming more an obligation than anything else after a certain point, if it hit when they planned it'd be perfectly fine (an MMO hitting in 2010, and in 2013 you finally got new consoles hitting) but in 2013 itself just before the new consoles it pretty much came off more as a "yes we got the damn thing out on PS3 afterall" move more than anything else.

... Not that performance fromw hat I say was much better than FFXI on PS2 anyway.

PS3 version was unplayable for all end game events.

Uh...what. I have a PS3 and have done most of the endgame content bar completion of Turn 5 of the first Binding Coil; Titan, Ifrit, and Leviathan Extreme; and the new Second Coil, and everything's been fine for me. Only the Odin and Behemoth FATEs and Labyrinth of the Ancients give me any kind of lag; with the latter, it's minimal and nothing that makes that raid unplayable.

So, I can't say I agree with you saying all end game events were unplayable on PS3.

PS3 version was unplayable for all end game events. Releasing the game on PS3 was a pretty shady move imo. That said, I did have fun with it up until then. Here's hoping the PS4 can actually display enemies and party members, and that I'll be able to see enemies like Behemoth.

Is the end game community still as toxic as it was? Between the terrible PS3 version and one of the ugliest communities I've ever been a part of, I declined to sub. Have things gotten better?

A friend of mine is doing CB now on the PS3. It's going well.

Prototype

Your guys friends must be able to put up with A LOT more then me in that case. Having to turn off flying battle numbers, people's names, monsters names, ect because there are too many elements on the screen is beyond ridiculous, and even then the game doesn't display everything. Any of the large battles, fates, or open world bosses, everything would vanish. The game doesn't allow you to target what you can't see, so you just end up running around do nothing in the bigger fights.

Can a person slog through it? Sure. But why, when so many sacrifices have to be made?

Only thing I can think of, other then you guys are flat out lying, is that far less people are playing now, and thus the game is "performing better", but it just makes me question, what's the point of it all if the only time the game can run very well is when there aren't that many players playing? It's kind of the point of MMOs isn't it? To play with many other people?

It's irrelevant anyway, once the PS4 version comes out there will literally be no reason to play the poverty version of the game ever again.

...okay, dude.

I haven't 'slogged' through the meatier content, but if you want to think that way, that's fine.

Oh, and the only thing I've turned off is other people's battle effects.

vezna

Neo Member
When I tried the PS3 to PS4 character transfer I always got an error message. I then read I needed to log into my PS3 to do the transfer. I really couldn't be bothered getting the PS3 out of the cupboard and reinstall FFXIV to do this so I just gave up. I logged in to the PS4 this morning to create a new character and my old character from my PS3 days was there waiting for me.

Odd.

Finally in! Started with an Elezen character, they look cool. I thought I'd get straight into the game after creating it but damn, the game just presented text balloons after another for what seemed like hours before I could explore the city.

WOW, the menu's and navigating etc is really convoluted, I know I'll get the hang of it with time but right now it feels like it has too many options and game mechanics, and having it all explained in long tutorial menu's makes it very tedious and overwhelming.

My biggest problem is the map system, it really is a mess. The marker point with R1 doesn't work so I have to press Square to bring up the big map to see where I'm going, what am I doing wrong?

After it's long first introduction though, I imagine I'll enjoy the game, it reminds me of XII.

Blizzje

So, what kind of PC setup can the PS4 version be compared to?
Running on maximum settings with (frequent) drops to 30fps, which is what I'm seeing. Could be wrong though. Is the performance considered good?

Korezo

Man I'm trying to unlock the crystal tower dungeon and looks like it's going to be impossible since nobody doing the fate I need and I can't solo the boss...

Prototype

@Canis lupus
it is a good game, nd the ps4 will do it justice.

(edit) and more importantly, it's a good FF game, which imo, we haven't had for a while. Playing it, I felt like i was playing a Final Fantasy game. it felt nice.

Number45

I'm tolerant if these things, but I've played the PS3 version without changing any graphical settings and it's been fine for me. :-/

It is but in a bad way, it bothers my eyes and has shimmering.
I thought this was just me. My eyes got tired playing it pretty quickly yesterday, it almost seems like there's interlacing going on (although I don't think that's possible). Need to tweak the HUD size a little more.

Wow, how unintuitive is character transfer to PS4? I had to dig out my PS3 and fire it up. Thank god I didn't sell it. Too bad now I have to sit through a gargantuan system update.

phierce

Wow, how unintuitive is character transfer to PS4? I had to dig out my PS3 and fire it up. Thank god I didn't sell it. Too bad now I have to sit through a gargantuan system update.
I did it last night and didn't have to update at all. Just did the install from disc and it worked.

Sophia

I feel like Square-Enix has been extremely (and unintentionally) misleading about that. There is no actual "character transfer", they're all on the same servers. >.<

The current option in the beta client labeled "Transfer from PS3 to PS4" is just macros, hotkeys, UI stuff and nothing more.

The license transfer, on the other hand, does not begin until after the beta is over. Nor is it needed for the duration of the beta.

How...odd. But thank you!

It was an error on Sony's part when the beta client first came up. Unfortunately a lot of people are not reading the Lodestone which has the notice about it.

I did this but it seems to be making me download anyway. Hmm

Sounds like you either have the old client (the one with the beta icon in the corner) which is useless now, or your current client is corrupt and needed a redownload?

I feel like Square-Enix has been extremely (and unintentionally) misleading about that. There is no actual "character transfer", they're all on the same servers. >.<

The current option in the beta client labeled "Transfer from PS3 to PS4" is just macros, hotkeys, UI stuff and nothing more.

The license transfer, on the other hand, does not begin until after the beta is over. Nor is it needed for the duration of the beta.

Ah, right! Oh well, at least it's all set up familiar to me. Looking forward to getting into it again.

Griss

What a load of bullshit. I downloaded the thing, and have gone through their sign-up process 3 different times now over the course of 2 hours, and each time they tell me that they've sent a confirmation email - they haven't. So I wait half an hour, no email, and I try again. How fucking hard is it to send an email? I've used all three of my main accounts, so it's not my end that's fucked.

Today is my only day available to try this beta. I'm gonna lose my opportunity to try this game (which I was really excited to do) and they're gonna lose a sale. And I've had my time wasted. Very frustrated.

Semper88

Does anyone know when the PS4 digital collector's version will pop up on the EU store so i can pre-order for early acces?!

Love this game, having tons of fun with my marauder! And the PS4 runs it pretty damn smooth.

SighFight

What a load of bullshit. I downloaded the thing, and have gone through their sign-up process 3 different times now over the course of 2 hours, and each time they tell me that they've sent a confirmation email - they haven't. So I wait half an hour, no email, and I try again. How fucking hard is it to send an email? I've used all three of my main accounts, so it's not my end that's fucked.

Today is my only day available to try this beta. I'm gonna lose my opportunity to try this game (which I was really excited to do) and they're gonna lose a sale. And I've had my time wasted. Very frustrated.

My mail was in the spam folder. Checked there?

But I was a little annoyed by the signing in, updaten, installing loop I felt I was stuck in for over an hour.
Leveled up to 8 last night. I am not a mmorpg guy but I am enjoying this quite a bit. Good atmosphere and fun play. Only the controls with a gamepad are something to master.

Check junk/spam folder as it's usually in there.

dramatis

Finally in! Started with an Elezen character, they look cool. I thought I'd get straight into the game after creating it but damn, the game just presented text balloons after another for what seemed like hours before I could explore the city.

WOW, the menu's and navigating etc is really convoluted, I know I'll get the hang of it with time but right now it feels like it has too many options and game mechanics, and having it all explained in long tutorial menu's makes it very tedious and overwhelming.

My biggest problem is the map system, it really is a mess. The marker point with R1 doesn't work so I have to press Square to bring up the big map to see where I'm going, what am I doing wrong?

After it's long first introduction though, I imagine I'll enjoy the game, it reminds me of XII.
The R1 option isn't used to mark your map for you, it's a "Map Link" that generates the location into your chat text box so you can send it to your party/fc etc.

After you get used to the game surroundings, you don't need the map to see where you're going. The areas are designed with visible landmarks, so it's possible to see where to go from just minimap and environment as well. "Following the beaten path" also helps a lot.

For quests that progress in zones adjacent to your current zone, the zone where you can progress is usually marked with a quest symbol on your map.

For quests that progress much further than that, you can use the Journal which tracks all of your current quests and use the Map from the quest directly.

Assumed that, but all the level 50 dungeons?

Eh, do that mean all my Darklight gear and relic+1 are now worthless?
Crap, probably need to server transfer to a new server.
I hate playing catch up in an MMO.
Darklight gear and new sets of i70 gear drop in the 3 new dungeons: Brayflox Hard, Halatali Hard, Ruins of Amdapor.

fedexpeon, your darklight gear became useless 3 months ago, almost. They're still good for starting the first Coil of Bahamut, but to beat the boss in first Coil, you will need better gear. The Relic+1 can now be upgraded, but that's a whole other story.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
yay ultros opened and I got in

I think I joined the wrong FC. I thought Guardian Force (GF) was gaf? Is it?

Finally got in. Looks wonderful.

*It appears to have AF enabled. (Maybe 2 or 4*)
*They did a pretty good job on fixing the ui size.
*Framerate seems more solid to me, but that could be the lack of players this early in the morning.
*Overall IQ is much improved, especially for the text inside the game.
*Still has a bit of draw in on the shadows at a short distance. And LOD is there, but the game looks great.
*Most importantly boob physics are intact at 1080p.

Dare I say it, but this looks on par, even better in some ways, than my PC. I have a 965be & GTX 760 and run the game maxed out.

Now I haven't played but a few minutes and not in any parties yet, so I'll have to see how it holds up later on, but wow this is pretty damn sweet. I noticed an option to enable HD Quality or Full HD Quality.

I bet PS3 owners moving to PS4 are having their minds right about now.

Sophia

Uh oh. LOL. I need an invite cause I joined the wrong FC.

I'm Kev Bug.

For being the Dark Souls of Moderators, you're not very resourceful! :D

If you can find a member of the guild, you can submit an application. That way when someone with invite privileges sees it they can invite you automatically.

This is kinda odd but I've never noticed the moon until now, and I've been playing this game since last September. Not sure if PS3 version it's harder to see or I just noticed how pretty the sky is on PS4.

7NWqeel.jpg

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
On Ultros is gather against fate, apply here.
You'll need to submit an application in game after applying on the guildworks page.

yall are super serial

It might just be because it's early but the game is running like an absolute DREAM right now. Locked 60!

Valnen

Been playing on PS4 all day. Hit 50 on White Mage and did Crystal Tower for my first time. The game runs great, I never really noticed any frame dips at all. It actually runs better than it does on my roommate's PC and her PC isn't awful at all. And the ease of recording video in a game like this will be super nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom