• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - PS4 Beta |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackflag

Yes I firgot how bad the map and quest location system are. They really are terrible.

Have there been any significant class changes since reborn first came out? I haven played in a long time. Specifically any big changes archer or bard related?

Pachinko

I played this for a bit last night. For those curious about PC specs and such - I have a PC that was pretty high end for 2010. It still manages todays games quite well because I stuck with a 1080p monitor.

FFXIV , I could essentially max out as long as crossfire was enabled and it would run 20-60 fps depending on what was going on.

Watching my friend play on his PS3 last fall , the graphics were still alright but it was a knock down- 720p , capped at 30 fps (but frequently dipping into the single digits) as well as the on screen character limit somewhere around 25 characters/monsters visible at a time. Character detail in that version looked pretty much the same as the highest detail on the PC edition but the world detail was dialed back considerably. Draw distance set fairly low, vegetation was almost non existent, it was playable but I'd say any PC built from 2006-2008 would offer comparable or better visuals.

On PS4 though, things fair MUCH better, it looks as though it's running high detail , the framerate is now capped at 60 instead of 30 and much like my 4 year old PC it dips to 15-20 fps when the screen gets busy. I would argue that spending 399 USD on a gaming PC would have a hard time producing the same results actually. So , I guess it's fair to say I'm impressed with it. I was expected there to be a 30 fps cap still and just have it be vsynced there. As well, there are no longer character limits and draw distance problems like on the PS3, this is very much just a port using most if not all of the highest quality assets available from the PC edition.

As far as playability goes... I played 30 hours of FFXIV on PC last fall, was easy to go mouse and keyboard , played just like WOW. Using a controller , even the DS4 , takes some getting used to but once you get the hang of using shortcuts with the shoulder button and understand how to use the touchpad like a mouse , it's not actually too terrible. Having a keyboard is still kind of a must though.

King_Moc

Banned
What specs and settings are you running? I'm actually curious to see what the 'PC equivalent' of the PS4 version is...

My PC is nearly 2 years old, gfx card is a 670, which I got at launch, processor is an I7 3820.

I pretty much get 60fps everywhere except Mor Dhona when it's busy. Everything on max and using sweet fx for AA.

In comparison PS4 runs about 30fps most of the time, but can dip under 20fps (estimation) in towns. Some environment textures look downgraded and the IQ isn't great (jaggies and text looks a bit weird). Pretty solid though overall.

Baleoce

My PC is nearly 2 years old, gfx card is a 670, which I got at launch, processor is an I7 3820.

I pretty much get 60fps everywhere except Mor Dhona when it's busy. Everything on max and using sweet fx for AA.

In comparison PS4 runs about 30fps most of the time, but can dip under 20fps (estimation) in towns. Some environment textures look downgraded and the IQ isn't great (jaggies and text looks a bit weird). Pretty solid though overall.

Genuinely shocked by that. And I did notice it in some of the streams too. I initially thought the PS4 version was banged on for 1080p/60FPS. I can even remember them saying it would run as well as max PC settings in one of the live producer casts. I wonder how the eventual DX11 update will affect it.

Blizzje

Genuinely shocked by that. And I did notice it in some of the streams too. I initially thought the PS4 version was banged on for 1080p/60FPS. I can even remember them saying it would run as well as max PC settings in one of the live producer casts. I wonder how the eventual DX11 update will affect it.

Definitely weird. Isn't a rig that's comparable to the PS4 specs capable of higher fps?

King_Moc

Banned

If you went to Coerthas and stared at the floor you might get 60fps. Typically, it's a noticeable 30ish fps though.

In terms of effects and stuff, it's not far from a high end PC, it just looks to have a few worse textures. It's mainly just IQ and performance where it drops the ball a little.

Jomjom

Banned
It's definitely not only 30fps most of the time. I play at 30 locked on PC and the ps4 version is running at a much higher framerate than that most if the time.

After playing for hundreds of hours at 30fps it was really jarring how smooth the ps4 version is, barring things like CT and mor dhona.

aceface

It's been my experience so far that instances like housing areas and 4 player dungeons are 60 fps. Admittedly I'm not expert on this kind of thing.

Now it is not even let me download the beta. I am just going to wait until mine ships. Have fun with the beta. I will be on the server in 2 weeks.

RedAssedApe

Banned
How do you guys even estimate FPS by eyeballing haha

It probably runs better FPS than you think when it's "running poorly" and worse than you think when it's "running well" ;)

King_Moc

Banned
It's been my experience so far that instances like housing areas and 4 player dungeons are 60 fps. Admittedly I'm not expert on this kind of thing.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the instances were. They're pretty quiet compared to the main world. Crystal Tower might be a bit different. I might try a few dungeon runs on it later.

playXray

What is the DX11 update? Sorry for the noob question.

Sophia

How do you guys even estimate FPS by eyeballing haha

It probably runs better FPS than you think when it's "running poorly" and worse than you think when it's "running well" ;)

There's an option on the PC side to cap your framerate to 30 or 60 frames per second. The difference is pretty easy to see, especially if you're sensitive to framerate drops.

King_Moc's estimation is a bit off however. It definitely runs higher than 30 frames per second in most areas. Mor Dhona and one of the Crystal Tower fights (mini-boss before King Behemoth) are the only places I've seen significant framerate loss. Outside of cities, it's usually near the 60 FPS end, if not at it.

EDIT: Add Camp Tranquil to the list of areas with significant framerate loss.

Vire

I don't think this game is particularly well optimized. The framerate nose dives for no apparent reason in the Arcanist guild area in Limsa Lominsa and other strange spots.

Definitely could use some serious work, but with the game launching next week, I'm not exactly holding my breath.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Still not sure on what class to start with, how easy it is to level up other classes ? Is there enough quests available or do people just do xp grinding in like dungeons ?

GoaThief

So how do we get on Ultros, says nothing about it being restricted but when I go to confirm it pops up saying it cannot be created at this time...

Alex

There is no PC that runs this game at a locked 1080p/60 FPS in hub areas ala Mor Dhona or Limsa Lominsa on a high end server @ prime time. Between the quality of the optimization and the nature of the game it's just not really possible right now. ~30-40 FPS in Mor Dhona, for example, is the norm even with upper end CPUs on a server like Leviathan in the evening with shoulder to shoulder traffic. (hubs, as always, are CPU dependent, my GPU usage is ~50% in Mor Dhona).

Never really seen any drops in anything other than a prime time hub, though, certainly never in any dungeons or open zones.

My PC is a Phenom X6 1090t OC'd to 4ghz and I have a HD6950 running 6970 bios, also have FFXIV installed on a SSD. I can play FFXIV on max setting and in empty area's and dungeons it will chug along at 60fps no problem, drops down to mid 30's in crowded areas on max settings.

As for the PS4 version I really can't tell the difference graphically between the two and if anything it might actually run a bit smoother than my PC. Loading times are a bit longer on PS4 but that was always going to be the case against an SSD. Overall though I am very impressed with what I have played of the PS4 version so far and the vita remote play is perfect for me to get my crafting done on the go, along with the share features so think it may be my new default system for FFXIV now.

RK9039

My PC dips to around 50fps in Mor Dhona, otherwise it's usually 60fps.

Still not sure on what class to start with, how easy it is to level up other classes ? Is there enough quests available or do people just do xp grinding in like dungeons ?

I did a lot Fate farming and hunting logs when I decided to level up a second class. I think things have changed now.

King_Moc

Banned
King_Moc's estimation is a bit off however. It definitely runs higher than 30 frames per second in most areas. Mor Dhona and one of the Crystal Tower fights (mini-boss before King Behemoth) are the only places I've seen significant framerate loss. Outside of cities, it's usually near the 60 FPS end, if not at it.

EDIT: Add Camp Tranquil to the list of areas with significant framerate loss.

Just logged into it and travelled around the Bentbranch area. I'm convinced that's around 30fps. While looking northwards from down towards the Tam-Tara area (bizarrely) i'd say it was struggling to hit even that.

This is with very few characters around.

Sophia

Just logged into it and travelled around the Bentbranch area. I'm convinced that's around 30fps. While looking northwards from down towards the Tam-Tara area (bizarrely) i'd say it was struggling to hit even that.

This is with very few characters around.

Just teleported there on the Adamantoise server. Looks like it's closer to 45. It's definitely not hitting 60 there, but that's to be expected. There are a lot of players in that zone chasing FATEs.

Actually, if I look southward, it appears to hit 60 frames. It's mostly when you look towards Gridania that the framerate drops. It's hard to say for certain without having a framerate check in game.

There is no PC that runs this game at a locked 1080p/60 FPS in hub areas ala Mor Dhona or Limsa Lominsa on a high end server @ prime time. Between the quality of the optimization and the nature of the game it's just not really possible right now. ~30-40 FPS in Mor Dhona, for example, is the norm even with upper end CPUs on a server like Leviathan in the evening with shoulder to shoulder traffic. (hubs, as always, are CPU dependent, my GPU usage is ~50% in Mor Dhona).

Never really seen any drops in anything other than a prime time hub, though, certainly never in any dungeons or open zones.

No MMO will ever hit 60 FPS all the time. It's just the nature of the game. Once you get enough players performing enough actions even the beefiest of PCs will fall. They actually did some pretty good optimizations on the PC side recently with Patch 2.2. Performance is up all around.

Raoh

Yes I firgot how bad the map and quest location system are. They really are terrible.

God this so true. I have a printed map and iPad or PC up and running to look up travel routes or I just pay the teleport penalty.

Going to unlock a job I don't plan on playing and have that level 1 die when I want to return to my home points.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The map system is bizarre. Sometimes you click on MAP in the journal and it opens...like nothing. Just shows you a random map.

Alex

Map and quest location are terrible on a controller but they're fine, IMO, on a mouse when you can quickly cycle through zones and click markers without a lousy virtual mouse. Either way, it's a part of the UI that could stand to be fixed since I primarily play with a controller on PC.

The UI is very competent for what it is, I was actually very impressed on the overall spread considering the developer... it's honestly pretty top tier in most regards. But, where it's failings start to hit is that it is a PC style MMO stuffed onto a controller, so either side suffers a bit at some point. Maps, pane swapping (interfacing with the quest log, buff/debuff, etc) and lots of little quirks are iffy on a controller and then on mouse and keyboard the general pace and animation is very obviously set up for a controller and how annoying it is that the game refuses to let you multi-task a lot of basic functionality which is what a mouse/keyboard are amazing at.

Straying a hair off subject but I always feel like half of my annoyances at any given time with the general flow of XIV, as someone who has played since 2.0 launch, is that Square cannot get the fuck over their little flourishes and animations. I love polish, but sometimes it's in all the wrong places here: from interface to events to the combat system. It's mostly innocuous but combat is where it truly can bug me, like I can live with the larger than the norm GCD (Global Cooldown, which is 2.5 seconds here compared to the 1.0-1.5 genre norm)) but I'd totally kill to have a system where off-GCD skills were not tied to damned animation timers of all things.

A day where I don't randomly skip some of my cooldowns despite pushing them five times because some Square styled alpha channeled monstrosity wasn't finished playing? That would be glorious.

studyguy

The map system is bizarre. Sometimes you click on MAP in the journal and it opens...like nothing. Just shows you a random map.

It is pretty bad sometimes.
You have to click Journal > Map > one of two things happens:

Shows you the exact location

Or it shows you a way marker on the continent that you click on that same map then it zooms into the location you need to go to.

It's really fucking weird.

So, back to square one again and I am doing things differently, even if I am using the same character class. Up to level 6 after a few hours, but god does that intro drag. Thankfully, I never have to do that again.

Sophia

I believe it shows you the exact location if you're in the zone where the objective is located, and shows you the continent map if you're not in the zone. You can usually just hit R1 twice if it's the later to go straight to it.

If the destination for the quest you are doing is not in the zone you are in then when you open the map in the journal for that quest it shows you an overworld map to show you which zone the destination is in. It is not an elegant way to show you where to go and is something I hope they change at some point.

BadHand

I have a weird issue.

I'm at the launcher and typed in my square Enix ID but accidentally missed the "5" off the end. I clicked on the field to change it but it won't let me edit it.

I tried for about 15 minutes and ended up deleting the application and saved data and re-downloading. but when I launched it the ID from before is still there!

I can't add the damned 5 onto my SE ID.

TheMink

Characters are on the server, but there might be something about transferring settings from the PS3 version? I'd like to get that done anyway if possible.

Oh really? Then whats that thing in the bottom right of the sign in page?

Edit:

My account just got suspended from like 20sec since the last time i signed in becuase of "suspicious activity"

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
So I was just wondering. I just got achievement unlocked on the PS4 beta (so that means in the full game I got a trophy).

What happens if I start the full game, do I still get those trophies? Or can you only get those Trophies if you start completely from the beginning again?

ahuffman

Banned
Man it's good to be playing this game again. The wait between the last beta and now was too long. I joined the Gaf fc and am looking forward to hanging out with all of you.

Ryhian

I was able to join gaf fc as well. Planning on installing ps3 version to transfer it over to ps4 version.

I am a little worried as I don't have my own ps3 so will be doing it at a friends. This talk about having SE account suspended due to suspecious activity kind of worries me.

Oh really? Then whats that thing in the bottom right of the sign in page?

Edit:

My account just got suspended from like 20sec since the last time i signed in becuase of "suspicious activity"

Start using the security token app on your smartphone. The security algorithms they have in place are ridiculous and you'll be resetting your password twice a week if you don't use the app.

Korezo

You'll also be able to designate a location to teleport to for free if you use a security token/app. It'll save you a lot of gil in the long-term and is quite useful. Great incentive, imo.

What? I been using the token since vanilla FFXIV. When was the free warp thing started? Because I have no free warps.

hoserx

Anyone else find themselves Banderasing once you make it through the final teleport, after that initial sprint-off to avoid all of the mobs in the beginning of the Praetorium?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom