• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - PS4 Beta |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinchy

Banned
If I want to get into a server that's not taking new characters, do I just leave the server selection window open and wait for it to let new characters on again?

yup, I just hit the cap as well. Had no idea there was one. Guess I'll stop since I planned on rolling with this character in the final game. Really wanted to keep playing. :(

You can level more jobs to 20 this weekend, there are cross class skills that you might need later on depending on the class you play.

ahuffman

Banned
Disappointed there's still a level cap :( I'd buy the game tomorrow square if you'd let me.

Yeah I really cannot wait for the early access next weekend. I do have several alts that I am playing with, so even if I do hit the cap on my main I will be ok. Still sucks that they capped it though.

Eusis

Huh, is the level cap in effect for people that had lapsed subscriptions but are playing the beta? It did seem like I barely made any progress in EXP, if I knew that I wouldn't have bothered doing... anything, really.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
beOQzfw.jpg

TREMBLE BEFORE ME, MANDRAGORAS, FOR I AM KEV BUG

Isaccard

There are select times when full worlds like Ultros open up and allow people in, so if you really want to play with GAF, keep checking/trying while you play on other servers.

Check your spam folder.

Checked both. I've been looking out since I posted that. Uh wtf I want to play dammit Square!

Nevermind: Apparently I have an account already...but it wont let me use it? It keeps saying the password is wrong and I know it isn't. Holy shit this is a hassle.

jiggle

Checked both. I've been looking out since I posted that. Uh wtf I want to play dammit Square!

Nevermind: Apparently I have an account already...but it wont let me use it? It keeps saying the password is wrong and I know it isn't. Holy shit this is a hassle.
Are u leaving the one time password blank?

got like an hour of playtime earlier tonight. Currently a a Level 5 Pugilist. I won't get much done Sunday night, so I'm hoping Amazon will email me my early access code either on Monday or Tuesday

Also, while I was playing, I saw a few people that had a <<GAF>> tag next to their name. Any ideas on how to get the tag?

Griss

Welp, got to level 13. My impressions:

-It's absolutely gorgeous. The art style, the characters, the world, the resolution - even when I was frustrated, the eye candy kept me playing. Being an MMO, I honestly wasn't expecting this at all.

-It actually works on console. Never played a console MMO before, and the game functions. It's playable. That's more than I expected. The way they've done hotbars with a controller is brilliantly clever, and once you get used to it most of the simple acts of moving around, casting spells and battling works pretty flawlessly.

-But it's not as good as it would be on PC. Other simple acts like selecting a particular target from a crowd, or switching to heal a non party member during a FATE is so much more complicated than just being able to click on them, and you can get really muddled trying to do things like this on the fly.

-It plays like WoW. Don't really have a problem here, it plays well and I like it, but it's a classic WoW style game. Wasn't sure if it was going to be.

-The opening was poor. Bad voice acting, way too drawn out, boring story with a crystal and some other nonsense, then some poor cutscenes on a ship (with no voice acting all of a sudden), then plonked in the middle of a huge city and asked to run errands for the first hour before I could escape.

-The fucking map! Limsa Limonosa (sp?) is one confusing city. And yet your map is barely bigger than your mini-map, up in the top left corner of the screen. Until I figured out (hours later) how to get the mouse cursor to drag it to full size, the map was utterly unsuable, and it was killing the game for me. This was the number one place they should have made a huge change for consoles. One button to open up a full screen map, with console controls to move around and select things.

-The default HUD is really not fit for purpose. You can barely see the screen beyond all the information flying around, and your core HP/MP info does not stand out enough at all, and is in a place where your eye does not typically go. Again, how to change this stuff wasn't obvious as there are HUD settings in about 4 different sub-menus. Once I understood how to use the HUD Overlay option to resize and move things, the entire game changed for me. And I moved -everything-. Also, for over an hour I had the pet toolbar floating in the middle of the screen and the game gave me no explanation on how to move it. That's really sloppy work, just dumping that there.

-The world not being one continuous streamed area is just awful. I couldn't figure out where the gates were in Limsa because you don't see the gates! You run up to a blue line with a gate presumably in the distance, and then there's a load screen and you've gone from in the city to out into a field. As someone who plays these games primarily to explore every nook and cranny and cover every blade of grass, that was the biggest disappointment of all. I can forgive all the janky stuff and HUD issues, but I want a full world to explore. I'll never walk that bridge and pass through that Limsa gate - it's not in the game.

-The connection was pretty much flawless, and I have crap internet at the moment.

-The arcanist class was somewhat boring to me. I picked it because it sounded like a warlock from WoW (or at least what a lock was in 2006, lol), but Carbuncle was a boring pet. You can't see his attacks move through the air so it's hard to say what he's doing and when. His AI was fine, though. I think I might have enjoyed another class more.

-Despite the pain I had getting into it, once I was in that questing flow I was really, really enjoying it. Quests are pretty crap, but the world and enemies are fun. I like the general writing far more than WoW, I'm typically willing to read what these characters have to say.

Verdict:
I would definitely pay full price for this game, but I'm not willing to pay a sub, and I'd worry about losing all of my time to it. It definitely feels like a PC game ported to console, though. Still, I'm glad that Squeenix salvaged the game, even if I never played the first.

Actually, that's my big question: Is the entire world new for A Realm Reborn? Or are they the same maps with a different core gameplay applied? Because the maps are pretty cool, even if they are broken up.

TEH-CJ

Banned
God damn it. Now I know why I don't like squre enix game. Jesus christ man! what a convoluted mess! it takes 2 hours to set up the game, has an intro that drags on, and I am prompted with the most convoluted and messy UI I have ever seen.

12gb download for this crap.

Griss

God damn it. Now I know why I don't like squre enix game. Jesus christ man! what a convoluted mess! it takes 2 hours to set up the game, has an intro that drags on, and I am prompted with the most convoluted and messy UI I have ever seen.

12gb download for this crap.

Or, you know, what he said. My first couple hours with the game were not good.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
1. Yes.
2. Yes and yes.
3. Saved as long as the game exists.
4. Gather Against Fate is mostly casual, no worries. ;) http://neogaf.guildwork.com/
5. The controller setup on PC is mostly identical to PS3/4. I use DualShock 3 for when I want to use a controller.
6. You will be required to party up for story dungeons with three -- and later seven other people.
7. It's best to level your first battle class to 50. To get your Job, you will need to level your main class to 30 and another class to 15. It's best to get your Job crystal as soon as possible. Think of Jobs like a "spec", you'll lose access to some abilities that you could cross-class on Lancer, but you'll gain Dragoon specific abilities.

Thanks man, really appreciated. I think i`ll have further questions and impressions after i finish my last play-session today, gotta use that limited beta access :)

Grinchy

Banned
Checking to see if Leviathan was open before bed paid off, it was open to new characters finally!

Ultros was open too if anyone is lurking late night.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Hmm... I don't quite get the aiming when I'm in a fight with other party members or story nps. I choose one foe as I do when I'm alone but my character constantly switches to other enemies, something feels really off. Is there a way to lock in on one enemy? My Lancer seems to always want to attack the enemies further away, than the one selected rightbbefore him.

Edit:
No I got it, it was my fought. But still is kinda hard focusing with so many enemies and the US marks jumping around.

Guess Who

Banned
-The world not being one continuous streamed area is just awful. I couldn't figure out where the gates were in Limsa because you don't see the gates! You run up to a blue line with a gate presumably in the distance, and then there's a load screen and you've gone from in the city to out into a field. As someone who plays these games primarily to explore every nook and cranny and cover every blade of grass, that was the biggest disappointment of all. I can forgive all the janky stuff and HUD issues, but I want a full world to explore. I'll never walk that bridge and pass through that Limsa gate - it's not in the game.

Blame the PS3.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Really wish that the touchpad was clickable in the same sense as a mouse. Other than that the PS4 version looks like a medium end PC running in 1080p without complaints. Now that the UI is readable.

Xux

[....]Actually, that's my big question: Is the entire world new for A Realm Reborn? Or are they the same maps with a different core gameplay applied? Because the maps are pretty cool, even if they are broken up.
The cities are mostly unchanged but everything else except for a couple boss fight instances was redone. It was an open world to an extent but with a lot of copy pasted assets and some obvious load corridors. The world map was the same and maps are roughly the same shape if you superimpose them with landmarks in the same relative location.

Sophia

-The default HUD is really not fit for purpose. You can barely see the screen beyond all the information flying around, and your core HP/MP info does not stand out enough at all, and is in a place where your eye does not typically go. Again, how to change this stuff wasn't obvious as there are HUD settings in about 4 different sub-menus. Once I understood how to use the HUD Overlay option to resize and move things, the entire game changed for me. And I moved -everything-. Also, for over an hour I had the pet toolbar floating in the middle of the screen and the game gave me no explanation on how to move it. That's really sloppy work, just

The default layout is pretty poor. For some reason in the second beta test for original A Realm Reborn release they made it adhere to some safe zone off the edge of the screen, even on PC.

I've gone out of my way on both the PC and PS4 releases to resize and move everything. Now they're in more logical places and my UI isn't as cramped. :p

My current user interface on PC.

Actually, that's my big question: Is the entire world new for A Realm Reborn? Or are they the same maps with a different core gameplay applied? Because the maps are pretty cool, even if they are broken up.

The cities are largely the same, give or take. The dungeons vary; some are almost the same, only altered in gameplay. Others have been revamped. All the field areas have been completely revamped. In the original game for example, The Black Shroud was almost all connected as one open world. But it was also less like a forest and more like a rat maze, and as Xux said most of that was copypasted assists.

hertog

Played this game to lvl 35 on my ps3.

Tried the beta, it looks great! But I'm not subbing. My life is sometimes too hectic, and I almost feel guilty when I can't play for one or two weeks when I payed for a sub.

Griss

The default layout is pretty poor. For some reason in the second beta test for original A Realm Reborn release they made it adhere to some safe zone off the edge of the screen, even on PC.

I've gone out of my way on both the PC and PS4 releases to resize and move everything. Now they're in more logical places and my UI isn't as cramped. :p

My current user interface on PC.

That's hilarious, you made the exact same changes I did. Only thing I don't know what to do with is the enemy's health bar. I'm just leaving it up at the top of the screen for now.

Sophia

That's hilarious, you made the exact same changes I did. Only thing I don't know what to do with is the enemy's health bar. I'm just leaving it up at the top of the screen for now.

This is what it looks like in combat with a party. I recreated the same UI on the PS4 version, seeing as there's no way to simply transfer settings from PC to PS4. :(

Is there still a level cap or something?
The new character i made topped out at lv20
8000 xp went to waste :/

There is a level cap if you do not already own the game on PS3 or PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom