• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Alpha Discussion

Been trying to log back in for almost 40 minutes now. This is a mess.

I'd just like 30 minutes of rabbit fighting and I'll go away :(

Teknoman

I hope they have an option for damage only being displayed as numbers above your/the enemy head. That would cut back on ALOT of the spam from the start.

Teknoman said:
I hope they have an option for damage only being displayed as numbers above your/the enemy head. That would cut back on ALOT of the spam from the start.

Right now there are no in-game options of any sort, so that kinda stuff will definitely be in at a later time.

Teknoman

Pai Pai Master said:
Right now there are no in-game options of any sort, so that kinda stuff will definitely be in at a later time.

Guess it really is just barebones testing for now then.

La Noccea is 3c.

EDIT: Is that the name, or did I miss read?

Made it outside, couldn't find any mobs, disconnected.

Giving this another go and then calling it a night. Hope they hold off a bit for the next test.

B-Dex

Teknoman said:
Guess it really is just barebones testing for now then.

La Noccea is 3c.

EDIT: Is that the name, or did I miss read?

I thought it was La Noscea but I could be mistaken.

EDIT: Also could a tester provide feedback that the silhouette on the equipment screen match your race. So bizarre seeing a human sized shadow on a Lalafell or Roegadyn haha.

Teknoman

Hmm...reporting a bug, but arent you not supposed to use an Aetheryte unless you snagged a Guildleve from town, and teleported to it from there.

gillty

Banned
I can't even get on the bugreport site.

first chrome is not allowed, then firefox says I'm not logged into the tester site even though I am :lol

Kandinsky said:
Needs to be said, im so glad they ditched POL and that weird chocobo/bird/thing pointer:lol

Bah the chocobo mouse was so much cooler than this stupid hand. As soon as it's possible I'm gonna find a way to change it back.

Kandinsky

B-Dex said:

EDIT: Also could a tester provide feedback that the silhouette on the equipment screen match your race. So bizarre seeing a human sized shadow on a Lalafell or Roegadyn haha.
It doesnt match your race.

notworksafe

B-Dex said:

I actually couldn't figure out a way to bring up either equipment or inventory.

Kandinsky

B-Dex said:
Yes I know. That's why I am saying you should let them know it should? It would look a lot better.
osrry read that wrong, but thats definitely getting fixed no point in reporting it imo.

BamYouHaveAids said:
Watched a stream and someone found a mining site, can you craft from the get go?

If you choose Miner as your starting job, yes. Probably better off starting with something more tuned for combat though, at least until you can afford to buy a mining axe.

Got to play around for a bit with some Beetles and Rats. Combat seems pretty good all things considered, although not having auto attack and having very limited skills makes for a not so interesting affair.

Controls are about as bad as I feared. Mouse is useless, keyboard isn't giving me what I want. Done for the night though, game needs some more work before I waste 3 hours for that little bit of combat again. Really want to get more experience in, but this is too frustrating.

notworksafe

If I could get just one real battle done, I think I'd be much less bummed at getting about 10 minutes of gameplay in 3 hours.

Lancer here.

Gotta say that, while the game is definitely faster than XI, I'm not real pleased with how the combat flow seems. Granted, I can see how that can change up and be much more interesting in a party, but having such a long GCD and no auto attack means a lot of waiting around doing nothing.

Just initial impressions, don't take my head off. I definitely need more combat time, and I wouldn't mind trying out a faster class like Pugilist.

gillty

Banned
this is my feedback for the controls I'll be sending to SE.

Controls:

-As suspected mouse controls have not been improved at ALL. This will be a huge problem if SE wants to attract more players from games like World of Warcraft, EQ2 , Age of Conan, and many other mmos. As-is the mouse is absolutely useless.

-I hadn't played XI in a few years, and it took me an hour to figure out the camera controls, I can only imagine how veterans of games like WoW or EQ2 will struggle will a camera system that is completely foreign and unweildly.

-Suggestions for more standard mouse controls: Hold down the left mouse button to look around the world. Hold down the right mouse button to turn your character using the mouse. Zoom the camera in and out using the mouse wheel.

Valru said:

Controls:

-As suspected mouse controls have not been improved at ALL. This will be a huge problem if SE wants to attract more players from games like World of Warcraft, EQ2 , Age of Conan, and many other mmos. As-is the mouse is absolutely useless.

-I hadn't played XI in a few years, and it took me an hour to figure out the camera controls, I can only imagine how veterans of games like WoW or EQ2 will struggle will a camera system that is completely foreign and unweildly.

-Suggestions for more standard mouse controls: Hold down the left mouse button to look around the world. Hold down the right mouse button to turn your character using the mouse. Zoom the camera in and out using the mouse wheel.

Played XI recently, so that's not as much a problem, but more or less agree. It is what I was afraid of so far back in the XIV thread. I understand that SE is looking at bringing over XI players, but this kb&m scheme is unacceptable. I plan on hooking up my gamepad next Alpha Test that's decently playable and I'm not pleased about that.

notworksafe said:
So I get in, take a quest, go out to fight...and no mobs will spawn. Wonderful. Thanks for the good times, Square.

NPC despawn bug? Had that one quite a few times, usually followed by a 1x4 error.

Kandinsky

Valru said:

Controls:

So be more like wow.

notworksafe

Well, seems the servers are down. Didn't get to fight and spent most of my time looking at error screens...but I'm still excited. I did manage to at least get some footage captured so I'll get them compressed a bit and sent off to be censored, then I'll post them up.

To be honest it played a lot like the first public WoW beta (aka not at all), so I can't say I'm surprised. Hopefully next few tests go better and I can get some fighting done.

Top Bottom