• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Alpha Discussion

Caj814

Surprised it didn't happen sooner with all the random 4channers flooding the chat :lol

Gotta give thanks to P.P for even bothering anyways.Most wouldn't want to risk getting banned.Guess the next person who bothers will have to take a lot more precautions and avoid doing a livestream altogether and just put out edited videos of game highlights.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Cool, watching some of that stream, recorded earlier. Hope it's still up for more watching tomorrow.

Caj814

I'm pretty sure the early bans are going to consist of people who looooooove using the same username for just about EVERYTHING!
UBER MAN joins FFXIV beta
UBERMAN posted youtube videos
UBERMAN posted pics on forum
UBER MAN is banned from FFXIV beta
:lol

notworksafe

Caj814 said:
I'm pretty sure the early bans are going to consist of people who looooooove using the same username for just about EVERYTHING!

:lol

Yep. I planned on doing this before, so my S-E accout and FFXIV account are both different from each other and my GAF acct.

Jinko

Seemed you have guys has a similar run to the Euopeans, guess they need to werk on their long distance connections.

Keep the feedback coming, quite pleased with what I have seen on justinTV, too bad about the mouse controls though but can't say I'm surprised.

hteng

Banned
so for the people that got to play it, how is the flow or pace of combat? is it good? easy to learn? got great potential?

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Jinko said:
Thanks guys much appreciated :D

Too bad you mashed through some of the text so fast tho :p

This videos are not from us.

I will edit and upload 15 videos courtesy of our OP :)

Jinko

Thanks, I like that it has green stats for the increasements on the hat.

It's very odd though the graphics look really nice in these screens but on other setups they look terrible and really aliased.

Do we get a chance to see the hat being worn ;)

BTW can you confirm if all mobs drop gil ?

Kandinsky

According to the guy, hat is 2 lvls higher than his current TM lvl class:lol

Jinko said:
BTW can you confirm if all mobs drop gil ?
All do, well the ones i killed did, some drop crystals as well :D

Jinko

Kandinsky said:
All do, well the ones i killed did, some drop crystals as well :D

This is awesome news, farming gil might be easier this time round and the chance of bosses having large stashes of money including loot will be interesting to see also, I wonder how SE plan to keep the gil sellers under control though :S

Great to see decent quest items aswell, game is shaping up really nicely.

notworksafe

Ooh nice! Next NA Alpha test is on the 13th! Unfortunately I have to redownload the whole Alpha client because Square didn't build in a way for it to be updated.

Still working on getting those videos uploaded. Fraps video uncompressed + Comcast upload speed = :(

notworksafe

As long as some big fixes are in it, I'm okay. Please build in a queue for when the server is full, Square. Spending 3/4 of your Alpha test testing the login screen isn't really my idea of a good time.

Teknoman

notworksafe said:
Ooh nice! Next NA Alpha test is on the 13th! Unfortunately I have to redownload the whole Alpha client because Square didn't build in a way for it to be updated.

Still working on getting those videos uploaded. Fraps video uncompressed + Comcast upload speed = :(

Seriously? C'mon S-E :lol

EDIT: You could just publish them with Windows Movie Maker under 720p for a smaller file size, then send em for "cleaning".

Also i'm sure you guys know this, but post some of those comments on the Alpha tester forums.

notworksafe

Teknoman said:
Seriously? C'mon S-E :lol

EDIT: You could just publish them with Windows Movie Maker under 720p for a smaller file size, then send em for "cleaning".

Also i'm sure you guys know this, but post some of those comments on the Alpha tester forums.

Nice call Tek! The one vid I tested it on went from 235mb to 9mb and still looks great. I'll get that done on all of these and get them uploaded.

Oh and the Alpha forums...mostly a cesspool (as are most official game forums). I love how there are people who manage to both roleplay and nerdrage at the same time. It's amazing.

notworksafe

theMrCravens said:
What are the overall impressions ?
(aside form the crappy server problems)

Well from the bit I played (not much, I went through the intro with two characters, took a quest, and got in two battles) I actually enjoyed myself. The game is utterly gorgeous and the city that we were in was gigantic. It put the FFXI cities to shame all by itself. The keyboard controls seem to be the same...except there's not a real "laptop" mode so there were some things I had to use menus to access. The mouse was awful and pretty much not usable, which is annoying but not game breaking. Hopefully it can be fixed in the future.

I wish I could have gotten in some more battles so I could comment on that system but I ran into a bug that a bunch of people got where everything NPC related would despawn when I left the city. It was a bit of a bummer and just seems to be a problem with certain accounts. So I went back and wandered around the city a bit. That's about all I managed to get done before the servers shut down.

Jinko

Might be worth connecting up a games pad for the next time, see if thats any better, ideally I would like to play with kb/m but if they don't sort it out then I will end up on a pad myself i think.

Gromph

Staff Member
notworksafe said:
Nice call Tek! The one vid I tested it on went from 235mb to 9mb and still looks great. I'll get that done on all of these and get them uploaded.

Oh and the Alpha forums...mostly a cesspool (as are most official game forums). I love how there are people who manage to both roleplay and nerdrage at the same time. It's amazing.

Yeah do that :D

I have np downloading but i think you have low line :D anyway 95% of first video clean :D

And i need to say amazing videos, guys you will like then alot! :)

gillty

Banned
notworksafe said:

kinda makes sense if they want to wipe the slate clean for the next test.
any tips on encoding for youtube 720p? no matter what I do (even using adobe media encoder's H264 youtube hd profile) still looks blurry as hell on youtube.

Jinko said:
Might be worth connecting up a games pad for the next time, see if thats any better, ideally I would like to play with kb/m but if they don't sort it out then I will end up on a pad myself i think.
man I dunno, I still think using the keyboard only (wsad for movement + arrows for camera) would be better than a gamepad.

Jinko

Valru said:
man I dunno, I still think using the keyboard only (wsad for movement + arrows for camera) would be better than a gamepad.

I would agree with you in regards to FF11 because of the macro's but it seems with 14 you select the actions with the D-pad which could become quite intuative after a while.

I think keyboard would def be better for healers though for quick targeting using the F-keys, saying that it seems all healing spells will be AoE now anyway.

Just out of curiousity was there much said on the Alpha forums about the mouse and keyboard settings.

I think the biggest problem I have with just keyboard is the digital input, with a mouse you get analogue movement and the same with a gamepad.

Edit - Just had a newsletter from SE, grrr they get me evertime.. :(

There's definitely a way for the client to be updated, but it seems more likely that they'll be releasing a new client entirely, hence why we need to uninstall the current build.

Must be a major fix that hopefully stops that one super bug that kept everyone's game crashing last night.

Unfortunately the next test period is the night before my final research paper is due... -.-

gillty

Banned
Jinko said:
I would agree with you in regards to FF11 because of the macro's but it seems with 14 you select the actions with the D-pad which could become quite intuative after a while.

I think keyboard would def be better for healers though for quick targeting using the F-keys, saying that it seems all healing spells will be AoE now anyway.

Just out of curiousity was there much said on the Alpha forums about the mouse and keyboard settings.

I think the biggest problem I have with just keyboard is the digital input, with a mouse you get analogue movement and the same with a gamepad.

Edit - Just had a newsletter from SE, grrr they get me evertime.. :(
the problem is the majority of the people on the forums submitting feedback are 100% XI fanboys, that will shut you down and say gamepad or I <3 the keyboard only controls LALALA :lol

I hope SE reads my feedback about the way the camera and the mouse works.

notworksafe

Valru said:
the problem is the majority of the people on the forums submitting feedback are 100% XI fanboys, that will shut you down and say gamepad or I <3 the keyboard only controls LALALA :lol

Yeah I tossed them some feedback on it as well because I noticed no one else seemed to be complaining. Someone has to stand up for us KB/M users...especially on a PC game.

On the movie side. I sent all the movies to be edited by Gromph (woohoo!) and I'm now uploading cutscenes for everyone to check out.

Jinko

Valru said:

Thats the big problem with how they have given out Alpha invites, I can fully understand giving loyal customers the chance to be in the Alpha but it does sway things massively.

Supposedly the 1st Beta won't be far behind the Alpha so perhaps then there will be a more diverse set of testers to get this point across.

notworksafe

Jinko said:
Thats the big problem with how they have given out Alpha invites, I can fully understand giving loyal customers the chance to be in the Alpha but it does sway things massively.

Supposedly the 1st Beta won't be far behind the Alpha so perhaps then there will be a more diverse set of testers to get this point across.

Well right now I can understand it. Only the most hardcore of fanboys could put up with last night. If they let in anyone for that, message boards would be exploding about how bad the experience was.

Also those screenshots above are pretty sweet. I didn't get to see any of that because everything despawned for me outside the city. No Aetheryte, no monsters. Just me and about 50 people trying to figure out what was going on. :lol Hopefully it will all work better on Sunday.

gillty

Banned
notworksafe said:
Well right now I can understand it. Only the most hardcore of fanboys could put up with last night. If they let in anyone for that, message boards would be exploding about how bad the experience was.
another problem is a large percentage of these XI players seem to be treating this like an exclusive demo, I expected nothing and came out satisfied (even though I never killed a single mob outside of the town)

notworksafe said:
Yeah I tossed them some feedback on it as well because I noticed no one else seemed to be complaining. Someone has to stand up for us KB/M users...especially on a PC game.
personally I think it will be a disaster if veterans from other mmo's try the game in open beta with controls as-is.

Kandinsky

I'm thinking, maybe the new client will have less data on it?, especially since we wont experience everything thats there and also because of the leaks/data mining (OST, JAs, Spells, ws list etc).

Gromph

Staff Member
Kandinsky said:
I'm thinking, maybe the new client will have less data on it?, especially since we wont experience everything thats there and also because of the leaks/data mining (OST, JAs, Spells, ws list etc).

Sure and the fix i saw in videos on english clients japanese titles

Jinko

The Alpha client was very glitchy also which may be why they are asking for people to redownload it which I didn't think about.

notworksafe

Valru said:
another problem is a large percentage of these XI players seem to be treating this like an exclusive demo, I expected nothing and came out satisfied (even though I never killed a single mob outside of the town)

You were probably out there with me wandering around looking for despawned mobs.

Kandinsky said:

Perhaps so. I hope it has some graphics changes. I have a pretty decent computer and it was lagging in some areas that it probably shouldn't have. An addition of the promised queue for logging in would be nice too. Just some overall tweaking would be nice. Of course Square won't give patch notes...so who knows what's in (or not in) there.

gillty

Banned
notworksafe said:
Perhaps so. I hope it has some graphics changes. I have a pretty decent computer and it was lagging in some areas that it probably shouldn't have. An addition of the promised queue for logging in would be nice too. Just some overall tweaking would be nice. Of course Square won't give patch notes...so who knows what's in (or not in) there.
same the game wasn't using more than 30% of my gpu (radeon hd4890) as a result I was only getting 25 fps or less the entire time.

Jinko

1270834380166.jpg

LMFAO I was guna go female Lalafell but that has sold me.

notworksafe

Okay! Here's the first five of the movies I recorded. Have at it guys!

All of them are in 720p. I cut off the character creation early, for obvious reasons, but you didn't miss much after that. I just picked my starting city (only one was available) and logged in.

Major thanks to Gromph for hosting these!

http://91.121.82.119/ffxivmovies/character_creation.wmv
http://91.121.82.119/ffxivmovies/cutscene1.wmv
http://91.121.82.119/ffxivmovies/cutscene2.wmv
http://91.121.82.119/ffxivmovies/cutscene3.wmv
http://91.121.82.119/ffxivmovies/cutscene4.wmv

Top Bottom