• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Alpha Discussion

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Kandinsky said:
Full charged gauge (3 slots) is a guaranteed crit, or gives a very high chance of in my experience (watching vids:lol ). Man cant wait till tuesday and Gromph you play FFXI, were you in fairy/sod at some point? Gohne?, Toph? :lol

Also omg checking some of my videos i just realized i learned a new skill and didnt know about it, first thing ill do next time is equip it!1 (if they dont delete our toons that is)

Aensland... currently having long times resubbing neither my card a friend and ex gf works :(

Jinko

I didn't see many people with conjurers.

Wonder what the first spell you get is for that class, Fire ? Cure ?

Gromph

Staff Member
Jinko said:
I didn't see many people with conjurers.

Wonder what the first spell you get is for that class, Fire ? Cure ?

For the images on Famitsu, it seem you start with generic magic attack for the first 2 levels, and fire on the third.

4twrj4.jpg

Kandinsky

Gromph said:
For the images on Famitsu, it seem you start with generic magic attack for the first 2 levels, and fire on the third.

4twrj4.jpg
Man that ss looks so interesting and awesome i might make a Conjurer now >_>

Edit: Or bring a Conjurer weapon duh :lol

notworksafe

Teknoman said:
Hopefully there will be a video of a Pugilist soon...need to see how the left/right hand aspect of that fighting style will work.
I'm hoping that Gladiator does something similar.

Wait so when you play as Conjurer or Thaumaturge, you don't attack with your staff or rod but you have a non-elemental magic attack that actually does something other than 0 damage? That's fucking awesome.

hteng

Banned
so the time is just for melee attacks only?

howabout casting spells? do you need to fill up the ATB bar first then the casting time, does the 2nd gauge (3 bars) apply to spells too?

Teknoman

hteng said:

howabout casting spells? do you need to fill up the ATB bar first then the casting time, does the 2nd gauge (3 bars) apply to spells too?

Looks like the power bar might only work for certain attacks.

notworksafe

Pai Pai Master said:
Wait so when you play as Conjurer or Thaumaturge, you don't attack with your staff or rod but you have a non-elemental magic attack that actually does something other than 0 damage? That's fucking awesome.
It doesn't cost any MP either!

hteng said:

The Effect Gauge (3 bars) applies to spells as well.
From the Alpha Manual: said:
The effect gauge comes to life once the action gauge has completely filled. When a command is executed, the state of the effect gauge will determine certain bonuses to factors such as accuracy, power, or potency. These bonuses apply to all actions, both physical and magical.

The Action Gauge (long bar) is basically an ATB meter and measures how long until you can execute an attack.
From the Alpha Manual said:
This gauge tells how much time is left before the next action may be executed. Though there are a few exceptions, for the most part all attacks, abilities, weapon skills, and spells require that the action gauge be full.

notworksafe

Teknoman said:
Glad mages have some form of attack (that actually does damage) while recovering MP.
Thaumaturge actually has a move where they use a turn to recover a bunch of MP at once as well.

Gromph

Staff Member
Pai Pai Master said:
Alright. Party play in this game is going to be so much fucking fun.

I agree, with battle regimes and searching for optimal combinations :)

Jinko

Looks like the map has numbers for both X and Y axis on the map now instead of the old letter number affair of FF11.

Hopefully this means Decimal points for better accuracy, would be cool if they add a coordinates read out on the map also at some point.

Gromph

Staff Member
I crashed my machine, videos will be up again in a hour +-

Config all things will be up soon.

Jinko

A few Questions for the Alpha Testers to look into if they want to/or have time.

1. The Mage hat in the previous post, does it get unequiped when you switch to a DoW class weapon.

2. Are there any Airships ?

3. Is the markets system in place yet ?(Auction House)

4. Can you take some more screens of Different Armour/Weapon types.

notworksafe

I didn't see the Auction House or any Airships after wandering around the city a bunch. SQE did say that there was going to be very little content in the Alpha so I wouldn't be surprised if that stuff doesn't get added in til the Beta.

I will be sure to grab video of the Equipment/Inventory system and gear changing. Not sure if you can train another Job yet. I went to the other class guilds and even after talking to all the NPCs there, there didn't seem to be a way to add a second Job.

Jinko

notworksafe said:
I didn't see the Auction House or any Airships after wandering around the city a bunch. SQE did say that there was going to be very little content in the Alpha so I wouldn't be surprised if that stuff doesn't get added in til the Beta.

I will be sure to grab video of the Equipment/Inventory system and gear changing. Not sure if you can train another Job yet. I went to the other class guilds and even after talking to all the NPCs there, there didn't seem to be a way to add a second Job.

Buy a new weapon and equip it i would imagine, or did you mean something else.

Saying that maybe NPC's didn't sell low level weapons some of the ones I saw in Pooky's stream required higher ranks.

notworksafe

Jinko said:
Buy a new weapon and equip it i would imagine, or did you mean something else.

Saying that maybe NPC's didn't sell low level weapons some of the ones I saw in Pooky's stream required higher ranks.
Yeah I tried to go to a guild to get a Job, thinking they would give me a free weapon. No such luck. All the weapons I saw for sale were of a higher rank. So I may just have to hope a mob or quest drops one.

Jinko

Not sure what SE have planned yet for the LFG/LFP system but anyone wana suggest this on the Alpha boards that I came up with lol

Looking for Party System

Add a tick box to any guildleve or Quest/Mission to look for a group for a specific quest/mission or leve.

You can tick multiple events.

Looking for Members

A search function with 4 sections, Party, Quest, Crafting, Dungeon

Party: Finds players of a similar skill/level who wish to party up for experience points.

Quest: brings up a list of the players active quests, select a quest to search for other players who are on the same quest.

Crafting: Find a Crafting profession/skill level.

Dungeon: Find players of a similar skill/level looking for Boss and Dungeon ecounters.

notworksafe

So I think I've figured out a way around SQE's garbage camera system. I configured a controller and reversed the settings on the camera stick.

Why do you make me do these things Square?

5wu3c.png

EDIT: Changed the OP to reflect what I think SQE meant with their times. I'll change it again if needed later.

Cool, multiple test phases this week. :D

Though I guess technically the last one is next week.

Glad to hear it, that means I don't have to go crazy trying to finish this paper by Tuesday evening, I can just play the next night.

Hopefully the servers are more stable. I understand not being able to log in due to the heavy traffic and limited allowance of players, but being able to stay in the game for more than 5 minutes would be nice.

gillty

Banned
I'm going to go out on a limb and say the dates are probably wrong.

Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday seem to work out better, but who knows with SE.

edit: I was right :D

The dates and times of the second Alpha Test are as follows:

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 3:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. *1
Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. *2
Tuesday, April 13, 2010 - 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. *3

Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 3:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. *1
Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. *2
Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. *3

Sunday, April 18, 2010 - 3:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. *1
Sunday, April 18, 2010 - 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. *2
Sunday, April 18, 2010 - 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. *3

*1 Only users with Japan-based Square Enix accounts will be able to log in.
*2 Only users with Europe-based Square Enix accounts will be able to log in.
*3 Only users with North America-based Square Enix accounts will be able to log in.

Japan: 7pm - 11pm JST (UTC +9)
EU: 6pm - 10pm GMT/UTC
NA 6pm - 10pm PDT (UTC -7)

Teknoman

Maybe try to see what the different monsters around the first area are, also i'd like to see more battles, or a party battle if possible.

Kuraine

Neo Member
By the way... for those that are interested, I've organized and labeled the 74 alpha tracks into a more OST-like format with tags and album art.

Tried to put them in a logical order based on mood and how FF soundtracks are usually presented. The track names are either based on known info, or on general feel.

I'll be uploading it to something like Mediafire or Megaupload as soon as I get home and give it a link here.

Teknoman

Kuraine said:
By the way... for those that are interested, I've organized and labeled the 74 alpha tracks into a more OST-like format with tags and album art.

Tried to put them in a logical order based on mood and how FF soundtracks are usually presented. The track names are either based on known info, or on general feel.

I'll be uploading it to something like Mediafire or Megaupload as soon as I get home and give it a link here.

Great to hear, definitely better than just having tracks labeled as 1B :D

Kandinsky

Teknoman said:
Maybe try to see what the different monsters around the first area are, also i'd like to see more battles, or a party battle if possible.
Well thats the plan, we will try to get a pt going tomorrow, lets just hope servers dont suck so bad this time or it will be impossible D:

notworksafe

Kandinsky said:
Well thats the plan, we will try to get a pt going tomorrow, lets just hope servers dont suck so bad this time or it will be impossible D:
Hopefully that is the case. I wanted to try a different race so that's a whole extra 10 minutes of possible crashes for me. :lol

Teknoman

Just going back to look at notworksafe/Gromph's Marauder combat video...man the weather effects are amazing...and the thunder sound is great :D

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Teknoman said:
Great to hear, definitely better than just having tracks labeled as 1B :D

:lol

Yeah, something to give a better idea of where these songs might exist in game.

Some of it brings out nostalgia, just by how they are arranged. Stuff in there makes me think of stuff from FFIX and backwards on to FF1.

Jinko

Some interesting info from the dats

- Pet Food
- Shepherding Equipment
- Materials / Dyes
- Weapons / Two-Handed Shields
- Weapons / Great Swords
- Weapons / Precious Swords
- Weapons / Rapiers
- Weapons / Off-Hand Rapiers
- Weapons / Clubs
- Weapons / Muskets
- Weapons / Great Bows
- Weapons / Magic Weapons (Rods, Scepters, Wands, Truncheons)
- Weapons / Two-Handed Magic Weapons (Croziers, Staves, Canes, Signi)
- Accessories / Wrist
- Accessories / Index/Ring Finger
- All crafting tools had secondary hand equivalents

So Muskets eh ? looks like musketeer will be one of the new classes.

There is also wrist and rings slot items which aren't on the equipment model yet.

Gromph

Staff Member
Jinko said:
Some interesting info from the dats

So Muskets eh ? looks like musketeer will be one of the new classes.

There is also wrist and rings slot items which aren't on the equipment model yet.

I like de Dyes, so no armor will look the same :D

In the opening video that Marauder guy has a Pistol of sorts, I'd assume there would be some sort of gunner class in there. Would be cool if you could use it like he did though.

After watching the vids the graphics in the opening make the game look awesome, the lighting and effects and everything looks great. The field areas need work though, and I assume that the ground texture is placeholder because it sticks out so much. Seemed to me like the lighting etc I mentioned before on the boat was more polished then the rest of the game, probably because that was a short, enclosed instance?

Gromph

Staff Member
I should be doing hw said:
In the opening video that Marauder guy has a Pistol of sorts, I'd assume there would be some sort of gunner class in there. Would be cool if you could use it like he did though.

After watching the vids the graphics in the opening make the game look awesome, the lighting and effects and everything looks great. The field areas need work though, and I assume that the ground texture is placeholder because it sticks out so much. Seemed to me like the lighting etc I mentioned before on the boat was more polished then the rest of the game, probably because that was a short, enclosed instance?

Maybe,

Lets hope our testers send me too much videos tonight , so tomorrow will be polished and up for our viewing pleasure.

Jinko

Think it was pretty clear the cutscenes were using better assets and lighting.

Lets not forget that the Alpha is basically barebones as far as graphical settings goes, although its prob not far off what the PS3 version will look like.

Top Bottom