• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Alpha Discussion

LaneDS

Soroc said:
Thanks guys! These look fantastic!

I know there is only one big region available now in alpha, is it all open and persistent or is it chunked and instanced?

I'd like to know this, and also how big it is compared to XI zones (assuming the field is a zone).

gillty

Banned
LaneDS said:
I'd like to know this, and also how big it is compared to XI zones (assuming the field is a zone).
while I didn't make it out too far, I do know that SE has stated that zones in XIV are the size of regions from XI.

edit: I should clarify, the entire city and 'field' is one big zone.

notworksafe

Soroc said:
I know there is only one big region available now in alpha, is it all open and persistent or is it chunked and instanced?

Well it was hard to tell because if you went out too far, there were huge monsters that would one hit you to death. It seemed to actually be a few smaller zones with invisible loads. I only could tell because I was searching all over for lower level monsters to fight (but they all despawned for me) and I hit a few 1-2 second pauses when switching areas (no loading screen but it was a pause that felt like the world was loading to me), then I got destroyed by some big monster. I tried to catch it on video, but it happened too fast.

Gromph said:
Easily my favorite video. When I first saw that I laughed enough that my roommate came to see what was so funny.

Thanks for the editing, Gromph! I may have more for you Tuesday night if you feel up to the task.

LaneDS

Valru said:
while I didn't make it out too far, I do know that SE has stated that zones in XIV are the size of regions from XI.

edit: I should clarify, the entire city and 'field' is one big zone.

That sounds awesome. Thank you.

Soroc

notworksafe said:
Well it was hard to tell because if you went out too far, there were huge monsters that would one hit you to death. It seemed to actually be a few smaller zones with invisible loads. I only could tell because I was searching all over for lower level monsters to fight (but they all despawned for me) and I hit a few 1-2 second pauses when switching areas (no loading screen but it was a pause that felt like the world was loading to me), then I got destroyed by some big monster. I tried to catch it on video, but it happened too fast.

Yeah sounds like you hit a little bit of hitching in the loading. For it to be so seamless at this stage is good news. Pretty impressive, the scale seems amazing.

Kuraine

Neo Member
Thanks a bunch for the vids (and safely edited~)!

The maps video is ridiculous, how huge is that area? Intimidating even, haha.

Only thing that worries me a bit is the male lalafell voice during emotes. I hope the other selectable voices aren't as irksome.

notworksafe

Soroc said:
Yeah sounds like you hit a little bit of hitching in the loading. For it to be so seamless at this stage is good news. Pretty impressive, the scale seems amazing.
Yeah, I was impressed. The only load screens I got were when using the elevator in the city and when going from the city to the field. I was impressed with how good the streaming was at this stage.

gillty

Banned
notworksafe said:
Yeah, I was impressed. The only load screens I got were when using the elevator in the city and when going from the city to the field. I was impressed with how good the streaming was at this stage.
even then you could have walked down either the interior or exterior spiral ramps without encountering the load screen, definitely impressed :D

Kandinsky

FFXIVCORE said:
Up next: BATTLE REGIMENS!

A regimen for strategy

When fighting a powerful opponent with your party, you can use a system called “battle regimen” to link your attacks with the attacks of other members in your party. This has a chance to add special effects. Here’s how it works:

1.Decide the order of attacks by discussing it with your party

2.When your turn in the regimen comes, press the button next to the action meny to change to regimen mode, and select your move.

3.When all members have entered their moves, someone presses the button to activate the regimen.

4.Depending on the actions and order selected, effects may be added.

Moves in battle regimens do not need any special properties. For example, a gladiator’s slashing attack and a marauder’s axe attack gave the enemy a “physical defense down” status effect. The same effect was produced when the marauder changed to pugilist and used a regular punching attack. The effect changes depending on the order and the skills used, so I’m looking forward to finding the best combinations. In this experiment, we only used regular attacks, but it still lowered the enemy’s defense. Battle regimens using elemental attacks and magic will surely have even more powerful specialized effects.

This should be pretty cool. I'm interested in how it will work out.

Man we definitely need to make a group on tuesday and try those regimens out!

Kandinsky said:

I'm rushing to finish my term paper by sunday night so I don't have to worry about it on the night of the next test. Let's party up!

notworksafe

Kandinsky said:

Agreed! I'm down to party up!

I'll have to PM you guys my character name instead of posting it here, for obvious reasons.

Teknoman

I guess regimens are best on bosses, and really hard monsters, probably not in normal party use.

So I guess its:

1 person chooses battle regimen and enters the first attack. The other people in designated order do the same, then once everyone has entered, press battle regimen again to confirm it?

Guess it just works like normal debuffs, hope it records the different regimens you discover.

Jinko

Soroc said:
Thanks guys! These look fantastic!

Persistent for the most part, I don't think people have traveled enough in the Alpha etc to come across any region barriers though.

SE hinted that there will be loading between some area's though and cutscenes.

Noticed Gromph has a Lalafell pic now they are slowly taking over the world.

Jinko

FWIW there is this Program that will blur out/cut out parts of video, not sure if you could get it to work with Fraps or not, would make your job a bit easier.

Nevermind seems its pretty crappy lol.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Jinko said:
FWIW there is this Program that will blur out/cut out parts of video, not sure if you could get it to work with Fraps or not, would make your job a bit easier.

Nevermind seems its pretty crappy lol.

Noticed Gromph has a Lalafell pic now they are slowly taking over the world.

Is easy for me to mask our sources :)

Hey, my plan was to be a lalafell :D

I was a taru on XI so XIV is easy choice :)

Xux

Aw, the male Lalafells' /dance is lame compared to the females'. I might have to rethink my race selection (unless the Dunesfolk get an awesome dance).

Gromph

Staff Member
notworksafe said:
Seems the new client is up. Run your ffxivsetup.exe's if you got them!

First unistall the old client.

notworksafe

Got the update, but I'm getting the stupid install error again just like with the first client. Fix your awful installers, Square!

EDIT: Now it's redownloading a much bigger set of files at a slower speed. Maybe the first download was bad?

Alex

I've only seen the field area outside of Limsa Lominsa (sp?) so far for play areas. One thing I hope they keep are the REALLY good dungeons FFXI had scattered everywhere. Those had really fun non-linear, explore heavy designs. I do hope what dungeons they do aren't traditional start-finish-boss ones. It's one thing that seperated it from the pack.

Kuraine

Neo Member
Alex said:
I've only seen the field area outside of Limsa Lominsa (sp?) so far for play areas. One thing I hope they keep are the REALLY good dungeons FFXI had scattered everywhere. Those had really fun non-linear, explore heavy designs. I do hope what dungeons they do aren't traditional start-finish-boss ones. It's one thing that seperated it from the pack.

I agree entirely. Even though they were pretty brutal places, I enjoyed how all of the beastmen lairs were multi-layered and structurally complex with tons of things that people kept going back there to do at various levels. It gave them a bit more credibility in the game world as a real location rather than a carefully constructed linear rollercoaster.

As far as what's in XIV... I've seen a few potential locations on the map itself from what's been leaked. Seems there's some sort of tower in the Southeast of the initial map, might be some sort of early dungeon to explore.

Also, in the livestream from Thursday, one thing I was pleased to see was that there was a little hidden cave entrance in the hills that led to a cliffside with some bizarre domokun/rabbit hybrids carrying a shell or something. I love finding little things like that while exploring.

Kandinsky

Well yeah that was my plan, to try to explore everything and especially find a dungeon or two, but sadly the way the alpha went made it impossible D:

Anyways, got everything ready to go for this tuesday, dload was really nice, fast and smooth for me :D

Alex

Exploration in early XI was great. I remember way back in the PS2 beta being so confused wandering around. Esepcially in Saruta with all of the towers and odd drops, at times it was a little too befuddling but I did appreciate the non-linear stumbling around you could do in all the subareas.

And yes, they got scary as hell the higher you got. Garliage in general scared me to death back in the day.

Kandinsky

Nothing more scary for me then Fei'Yin (fu shadows!), god i still remember when i went there solo as whm25 for warp 2 quest, the whole trip was awesome, ronf>ranguepass>glacier and finally Feiyin.

23 hours left on update. :|

Alex said:

Yep, FFXI has the best dungeons in any RPG I've ever played. Stuff like Crawler's Nest and Garlaige Citadel, such awesome and varied designs.

gillty

Banned
Pai Pai Master said:
23 hours left on update. :|
use a torrent client with dht on, took 7 hours instead of 20+ this time (plus the client was crashing left and right while attempting to download today)

edit: the torrent client that SE has integrated blows, needs encryption, not everyone has connections free of throttled by their jerk ISP's.

Kandinsky

Valru said:
use utorrent with dht on, took 7 hours instead of 20+ this time (plus the client was crashing left and right while attempting to download today)
Damn took me an hour and a half 'ish to dload and install no crashes no nothing, i guess i got lucky and im not even in US! :D

gillty

Banned
Kandinsky said:
Damn took me an hour and a half 'ish to dload and install no crashes no nothing, i guess i got lucky and im not even in US! :D
tell me about it, I have a 30mbit down connection and I can't get past 50 Kb/s with the official client.

is there anyway i can see that live stream that the pooky poo person ran the other day? Tried to watch it in the archive but looks like its been removed

notworksafe

Pai Pai Master said:
Updating seems even more unstable this time; keep getting runtime errors around 70-80%. Completing the update in utorrent again.
I got mine installed with only one error! I guess that's a minor victory.

notworksafe

Added video to OP.

Yeah after playing as caster and melee, I think I want to go melee. Not sure if I want to go Gladiator or Lancer though.

Gromph

Staff Member
notworksafe said:
Added video to OP.

Yeah after playing as caster and melee, I think I want to go melee. Not sure if I want to go Gladiator or Lancer though.

I'm thinking to be healer again :D

Teknoman

That melee battle video was pretty smooth. How do normal attacks work anyway? Activate it after the bottom bar is full, and then the bar next to the target indicates the strength of the attack (the 3 bar meter)? Im guessing the long bar is for attack recovery time?

2q3c8ic.jpg

Hopefully there will be a video of a Pugilist soon...need to see how the left/right hand aspect of that fighting style will work.

notworksafe

Basically that's how it seemed to work. I tried to active the skill earlier to test if it did less damage but I couldn't figure out how.

Gromph

Staff Member
Teknoman said:
Hopefully there will be a video of a Pugilist soon...need to see how the left/right hand aspect of that fighting style will work.

If one make a pugilist and send the video to me i will censor it like the ones from first alpha test :)

PM me and i'll toss a safe ftp to upload.

Teknoman

notworksafe said:
Basically that's how it seemed to work. I tried to active the skill earlier to test if it did less damage but I couldn't figure out how.

I guess for that side bar, 1 block = light, 2 block = medium, 3 block = strong

Why did the command bar keep disappearing?

Jinko

I'm guessing it works like.

Target enemy
Engage and select a skill.
Wait for first gauage to fill at which point you can attack by pressing the skill or continue to wait for the second guage to fill.

Once the second guage maxes out it will restart at the bottom again and will continue to loop unless you activate the attack.

notworksafe

Jinko said:
I'm guessing it works like.

Target enemy
Engage and select a skill.
Wait for first gauage to fill at which point you can attack by pressing the skill or continue to wait for the second guage to fill.

Once the second guage maxes out it will restart at the bottom again and will continue to loop unless you activate the attack.
Basically that was it. In the magic casting video you can see it a little better as I was checking out spells while in battle expecting it to auto attack while I did. I barely got any battle experience, so I may not be the one to ask. The two videos posted are literally the only battles I was able to check out.

Teknoman said:
Why did the command bar keep disappearing?
Not sure. It kept disappearing as I would fight so I had to hit T to make it show up again. Rather annoying.

Kandinsky

Full charged gauge (3 slots) is a guaranteed crit, or gives a very high chance of in my experience (watching vids:lol ). Man cant wait till tuesday and Gromph you play FFXI, were you in fairy/sod at some point? Gohne?, Toph? :lol

Also omg checking some of my videos i just realized i learned a new skill (blood rite) and didnt know about it, first thing ill do next time is equip it!1 (if they dont delete our toons that is)

notworksafe

I think I am going to reroll on Tuesday., assuming characters aren't already wiped. I'll go Elezen Gladiator, since I think the other people here are all DD classes...and all Lalafell. Gotta change it up a little. :D

Top Bottom