• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munba

Guys, do you know if it'll be possible to follow the other citiy-state main stories with the same character? Really hope so.

Velion

Salaadin said:
Have thye mentioned at all about the FFXIII in game item that we get? I redeemed that code way back when and got another code to key into the beta site for the PS3 beta. My current beta account and SE ID is also the one tied to FFXIII code. Am I just going to have it upon logging into the game?

We have those other codes for the CE too that need to be redeemed before any characters are created in order to use them. I hope they touch on this soon.

http://www.eorzeapedia.com/wiki/en/Asuran_Armguards is what you get from FFXIII PS3 version code.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
DrDogg said:
Okay, I've been doing my crafting homework (which is tough since we don't know what most food does or what rank most of the crafts are). For people playing on day 1, I need to know what gear/weapons you'd like early on.

Obviously, gear and weapons for the melee classes will be in highest demand, but I'd still like to hear from everyone so I know where to focus.

- Is gear more important?
- Are weapons more important?
- Would you rather have food to hopefully increase str/acc? (Do we have any fishers who can supply fish if sushi is still awesome sauce?)

I'm going to level pretty much every craft, but I'll focus on one or two the first couple of days so this input is welcome.
In my opinion, weapons and ATK and ACC boosting items are more important than armor due to how SP gain is directly tied to hits landed and damage done.

I'll take an axe please :)

I figured out a way to solo cactuars, so getting those dye bugs might not be so bad anymore. Are there any other places they spawn besides that area North of Camp Drybone?

Jinko

DrDogg said:
Okay, I've been doing my crafting homework (which is tough since we don't know what most food does or what rank most of the crafts are). For people playing on day 1, I need to know what gear/weapons you'd like early on.

Obviously, gear and weapons for the melee classes will be in highest demand, but I'd still like to hear from everyone so I know where to focus.

- Is gear more important?
- Are weapons more important?
- Would you rather have food to hopefully increase str/acc? (Do we have any fishers who can supply fish if sushi is still awesome sauce?)

I'm going to level pretty much every craft, but I'll focus on one or two the first couple of days so this input is welcome.

Highest demand will be weapons, you're guna need to concentrate on woodworking and blacksmithing for those. (Alchemist will be my main but armourer and blacksmith aswell, mining as a gathering job)

Ideally the more spread out our crafting is the better it is to supply one another with materials.

@renta , can solo them myself now, Raging Strikes>Multishot>Light Shot>Puncture = dead.

Problem is they drop the buffalo leather dye not the sheep leather dye :(

Jinko

Rentahamster said:
Ohh. What drops the sheep dye? Or, what level mine?

The sheep ones come from grade 1 quarry nodes, normally the blue nodes in caves or on the edge of the rivers in gridania.

Kandinsky

Jinko said:
Highest demand will be weapons, you're guna need to concentrate on woodworking and blacksmithing for those. (Alchemist will be my main but armourer and blacksmith aswell, mining as a gathering job)

Ideally the more spread out our crafting is the better it is to supply one another with materials.

@renta , can solo them myself now, Raging Strikes>Multishot>Light Shot>Puncture = dead.

Problem is they drop the buffalo leather dye not the sheep leather dye :(
If you need/want sheep leather dyes, i have tons you can have them, I'm done with this game.

Also i recommend Armorer, is awesome.

Doodlebug

I have a text file with all my planned character creation settings down, but I'm quite happy to play spontaneously from then on, seeing where my adventures take me.

Munba said:
Guys, do you know if it'll be possible to follow the other citiy-state main stories with the same character? Really hope so.
I hope so too.

Let me in

Doodlebug said:
I have a text file with all my planned character creation settings down, but I'm quite happy to play spontaneously from then on, seeing where my adventures take me.
The game saves previously created characters, I was hoping to load the save and go on my merry way for retail. If we have to reinstall I would love to figure out where it's storing the characters locally.

Jinko

Kandinsky said:
If you need/want sheep leather dyes, i have tons you can have them, I'm done with this game.

Also i recommend Armorer, is awesome.

Yea loads myself but thanks, am done with the beta myself.

Edit:- FFVII reject

1284580539.jpg

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Hey Jinko, what level is your lancer? I want to test out Speed Surge and its effect on my duo if you have time later. If you don't have level 10 yet, then we can probably just power level you real quick until you get it.

I'm getting frustrated with my crashing. I know the beta ends in a few days, but if the beta crashes all the time for me, and hardly ever for my friends, what are the chances Square's gonna fix it by launch? I reinstalled Windows and ran the game on a new hard drive with only the basic essentials, I've tried all sorts of graphic combinations, I redownloaded the entire game using Square's installer, I even tried switching from an ATI graphics card to the equivalent nVidia one. Doesn't matter, after playing a while, the game starts crashing, and once it starts it does it every 5-10 minutes. Though sometimes the first crash is after only a few minutes.

The only good news is, come the 22nd, I can call Square's tech support if it still crashes.

Meeru

Banned
darn you unknown soldier..i cant believe i did this lol.
i5 760 at microcenter
gskill 4gb ddr3 1600
gigabyte p55 usb3
msi gtx 460
zaward 120
arctic silver 5

Let me in

valenti said:
darn you unknown soldier..i cant believe i did this lol.
i5 760 at microcenter
gskill 4gb ddr3 1600
gigabyte p55 usb3
msi gtx 460
zaward 120
arctic silver 5
All I was willing to do was buy a new cooler so I can overclock my CPU. Most of the upgrades don't seem to be yielding great results for people. I think my rig can hold out for another year.

Let me in said:
All I was willing to do was buy a new cooler so I can overclock my CPU. Most of the upgrades don't seem to be yielding great results for people. I think my rig can hold out for another year.

http://www.ffxivblog.com/content.php/353

If by "don't seem to be yielding great results for people" you mean turn a game which is essentially unplayable on maximum settings into entirely playable, then yes, I agree with you.

There's nothing exemplary about that. My current machine uses C2Q Q6600 "Kentsfield" OCed to 3.2ghz and I was seeing ~12 fps when hanging around the Adventurer's Guild in Ul'dah. Since I am planning to start in Ul'dah, that's not exactly acceptable performance for me.

Zalasta

For those of you that crafted, what would you say is the average skill points/XP gain for making an item that is appropriate for your rank? My guess is somewhere around 210-240 SP and 1000-1150 XP.

Jinko

Dreamwriter said:
I'm getting frustrated with my crashing. I know the beta ends in a few days, but if the beta crashes all the time for me, and hardly ever for my friends, what are the chances Square's gonna fix it by launch? I reinstalled Windows and ran the game on a new hard drive with only the basic essentials, I've tried all sorts of graphic combinations, I redownloaded the entire game using Square's installer, I even tried switching from an ATI graphics card to the equivalent nVidia one. Doesn't matter, after playing a while, the game starts crashing, and once it starts it does it every 5-10 minutes. Though sometimes the first crash is after only a few minutes.

The only good news is, come the 22nd, I can call Square's tech support if it still crashes.

I said it before, turn off the Action Center, in windows control Panel, Renta, Lancer is lvl 3 and don't want to playing anymore til launch, I kind of burnt myself out a bit.

I've decided not to upgrade my PC until I see how much better (if at all) the retail version runs.

Azrael

Zalasta said:
For those of you that crafted, what would you say is the average skill points/XP gain for making an item that is appropriate for your rank? My guess is somewhere around 210-240 SP and 1000-1150 XP.

I look at it more from the perspective of skill points/gil rather than skill points/synth. If you're rank 10 and can get 150 skill points for a rank 1 recipe that costs 100 gil for mats, it's better to stick with that until it dries up than switch over to a rank 8 recipe that gives 300 skill points, but costs 500 gil to acquire the mats.

Zalasta

Azrael said:
I look at it more from the perspective of skill points/gil rather than skill points/synth. If you're rank 10 and can get 150 skill points for a rank 1 recipe that costs 100 gil for mats, it's better to stick with that until it dries up than switch over to a rank 8 recipe that gives 300 skill points, but costs 500 gil to acquire the mats.

You misunderstood me. I'm not asking the numbers for the purpose of what is the least costly method of leveling up. I'm asking because I'm trying to figure out the appropriate rank for the recipes since everything out there is guess work right now. So I'm hoping to poll to get an idea what is the range of SP/XP gain I should be seeing if I'm making a rank 1 item as a rank 1 crafter.

Zomba13

Jinko said:
Yea loads myself but thanks, am done with the beta myself.

Edit:- FFVII reject

1284580539.jpg
That's no FFVII reject! That's FFXIV old Locke!

Gromph said:
Oh this is fast.

Nude patch

And the game is still beta. :lol

At least that mean proper .dat mods and .dat swapping will be coming sooner. Can't wait to see what some of the talent from the FFXI .dat editing scene can do here.

Munba

I dunno why some people using their "programming" abilities to make this shit. When they could do something useful for the community (like the Valru 'windowed game' in FS).. oh well.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Jinko said:
I rarely agree with you but this time I am with you.

I agree too.

Anyway with 4 days to the end of beta, i'm removing the downloads.

I'll open they again for release.

Londa

Banned
Gromph said:
I agree too.

Wow its so close and still no word on mog houses. >_<

Guess everything will be clear on Sept 22.

Gromph, thank you for all your help with the version updates.

Munba

Londa said:

And i'm very sad for this. That fricking INN should be open in the release! (i thought it could be like Everquest2, in which you have the oppurtunity to rent a room in the tavern when you arrive the first time and then you could buy a real house)

Or maybe we have wait some months to have it. :(

Gromph

Staff Member
Londa said:

Will give support after the release :D

Londa

Banned
blah, can't view the site at work.

I was thinking that it would be cool if your retainer would be the replacement for the moogle in your house in XI. You would see your retainer cleaning your house in the morning like a butler. Would be cool.

DrDogg

Zalasta said:

It was hard to tell since we don't know the ranks of each recipe, but it seemed like I would get 500+ SP and ~2000 XP when I was lower rank. This implies that I was doing crafts above my level (probably rank 2-4 since I was rank 1-2).

Once I raised my rank a bit, I was getting about 350+ SP and maybe ~1200 XP per craft. This was on crafts that I could succeed on most of time doing the rapid synth spam method. So I'd assume it was equal level with my rank or very close to it.

At rank 10, if I did a lower rank recipe, I'd usually get 100-150 SP, but I don't recall the XP.

Londa said:

I think they're coming. The Retainer acts like a moogle as it is, and the NPCs mention housing beyond the Market Wards. My only concern is that the housing is stated to only be for crafters.

Salaadin

Gromph said:
I agree too.

Damn, I guess it is that close. Thanks for the help with the updates. You made my life a lot easier.

The game launches in 6 days so if you havent already and would like to, get your name on the spreadsheet so youre easy to track down in game:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...HRVd0otT1RiMldHeEN5S1E&hl=en&authkey=CMitxeUO

I really hope launch day goes smoothly. Im all ready for it and really want to play come Wednesday. I have remote desktop setup so I can install everything while Im here at work as long as I get the disc in my PC somehow.

Kandinsky

Londa said:
blah, can't view the site at work.

I was thinking that it would be cool if your retainer would be the replacement for the moogle in your house in XI. You would see your retainer cleaning your house in the morning like a butler. Would be cool.
And you find naked patch pathetic and sad, oh you:lol

Gromph

Staff Member
Salaadin said:
Damn, I guess it is that close. Thanks for the help with the updates. You made my life a lot easier.

The game launches in 6 days so if you havent already and would like to, get your name on the spreadsheet so youre easy to track down in game:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...HRVd0otT1RiMldHeEN5S1E&hl=en&authkey=CMitxeUO

I really hope launch day goes smoothly. Im all ready for it and really want to play come Wednesday. I have remote desktop setup so I can install everything while Im here at work as long as I get the disc in my PC somehow.

Im on POS: 34

Coldsnap

So is this game going to be good for some of us looking to cure that FFXI itch. I cursed it off during the 2nd beta like most people here but I want this to be good so bad.

careksims

HAAAAAAAA! At nude patch... Well they did a show a nude model before....

Also went on and only 1 person is on! Soo everyone has stopped and waiting for the real thing now? I think it's no use doing any more. Grinding for nothing and all.

Can't wait though! Almost here! :D

Londa

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
What if your retainer was naked while cleaning your house?

Great examples of what butthurt looks like because they downloaded the patch. :D

edit: I know you downloaded it to see naked lalafells. :lol

Kandinsky

Jinko said:
Uninstalled it this morning.

Am trying out the Vindictus beta whilst im waiting for the 22nd.
I'm waiting to see if they do a special event at the end of the beta on sunday like they did for FFXI, before uninstalling it :X

Londa said:
Great examples of what butthurt looks like because they downloaded the patch. :D

Great example of why you're the biggest douchebag in this thread. :D

no I wouldn't ever download a nude patch for a game. Even on my head that sounds stupid. Yes, even more stupid than Londa. And that's saying something.

I've decided that since I've never once seen you contribute anything worthwhile in any post you have ever made, I'll just put you on my Ignore List. Please kindly go fuck yourself.

DrDogg

Is it Wednesday yet? I have absolutely no desire to play the beta anymore.

Anyone know of places doing midnight releases? No where around me seems to be doing so.

notworksafe

Unknown Soldier said:
I've decided that since I've never once seen you contribute anything worthwhile in any post you have ever made, I'll just put you on my Ignore List. Please kindly go fuck yourself.
This is the correct response! However, I keep Londa off my list to watch the preposterous mess spew forth. In fact, I imagine it happening very soon in a response to this post!

kiryogi

Banned
I'm almost done with beta too. Currently trying to get to Mor dhana. I got to the camp near by, but after that, the road is just littered with the nastiest critters. 4000 dmg D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom