• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Londa

Banned
notworksafe said:
This is the correct response! However, I keep Londa off my list to watch the preposterous mess spew forth. In fact, I imagine it happening very soon in a response to this post!

I've blocked him, and I will also block you, if you keep quoting him.

notworksafe

Londa said:
See, I knew something preposterous would be said! Guess I better not quote anyone in this thread...wouldn't want to be blocked for responding to messages on a message board.

Kandinsky said:
This could be the quote that gets me blocked!

Amneisac

Well, after cancelling my preorder a few weeks ago, I've re-preordered. I wound up getting a ton of Amazon gift cards for my birthday and I had some video games credit about ready to expire, so I figured I would give the game a chance.

All of the rational people who have cancelled their preorders can thank me for being the lone voice of reason when this game comes out. I'll bitch and moan the entire time about how terrible it is until SE gets it all whipped into shape by the time I finally can't take it anymore and I cancel my subscription. But the game will be better because of me. Otherwise all these crazy brainwashed SE-bots will just tell them how much they love being able to zoom the camera all the way in and out! SE is so clever!!

vivin

notworksafe said:
True. Only three more days to bitch about the beta! Shouldn't there be an OT by now, actually?

With all the bitching and complaining done within this beta thread, I wouldnt be surprised if we never see one. Dont know if anyone can be bothered putting up with it all :lol

Amneisac said:
Well, after cancelling my preorder a few weeks ago, I've re-preordered. I wound up getting a ton of Amazon gift cards for my birthday and I had some video games credit about ready to expire, so I figured I would give the game a chance.

All of the rational people who have cancelled their preorders can thank me for being the lone voice of reason when this game comes out. I'll bitch and moan the entire time about how terrible it is until SE gets it all whipped into shape by the time I finally can't take it anymore and I cancel my subscription. But the game will be better because of me. Otherwise all these crazy brainwashed SE-bots will just tell them how much they love being able to zoom the camera all the way in and out! SE is so clever!!

Can you officially be in charge of creating the "Final Fantasy XIV is Now Ready to Be Played" thread, that way I don't have to keep reading the official thread?

Jinko

Ronok said:
Good times. Too bad I can't play even if it arrives early. :lol

I am delighted to let you know that your Preorder for Final Fantasy XIV Collector's Edition (with Onion Helm Preorder Bonus) is now being processed subject to successful payment being taken from your credit card when it is dispatched. The order will be despatched by your chosen delivery method in time to reach you for the day of release.

Wow these things are being processed early. I guess it will take most of us 2 days just to patch the client though so it evens out.

Doodlebug

Who's going to be testing the classes unannounced yet possibly available at retail? I'm eager for reports on Fencer and Shepherd most.

Amneisac

I don't think those classes are going to be available at launch. They're just kind of rumored classes from .dat files and stuff. I think they're either future expansions or unlocked later on.

Doodlebug

Oh, guess I misread about that. I've only been trying to keep up with news recently.

I was thinking there'd be a fair bit of unannounced content at retail, including those classes pulled from dats. Ha!

Teknoman

notworksafe said:
Pai Pai did but gave it up. So...no one.

EDIT: Londa should do it! She's easily the most enthusiastic of everyone here.

Would've been nice to have an OT with well made banners after seeing the Metroid and Halo OTs.

All you would need is:

A decent title banner
Platform/dev info
Release date info with box images
Trailers
Jobs/races
Citystates
The main site
Helpful sites

Maybe i'll see what I can put together if no one else volunteers by this evening.

Salaadin

Teknoman said:
Would've been nice to have an OT with well made banners after seeing the Metroid and Halo OTs.

All you would need is:

A decent title banner
Platform/dev info
Release date info with box images
Trailers
Jobs/races
Citystates
The main site
Helpful sites

Maybe i'll see what I can put together if no one else volunteers by this evening.
I was actually looking at the FFXIV fansite kit last night for images. They have some decent stuff in there that might make for a nice OT. If you want to check it out:
http://www.finalfantasyxiv.com/media/fansite/na/

notworksafes beta OT also has some helpful stuff already in there that would just need to be quoted/copied over. Twitter info for following news, Valrus windower utility, etc. Some links that can be added as well:

FFXIV crafting recipe database:
http://ffxiv.yg.com/

FFXIV Gaffer spreadsheet:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...HRVd0otT1RiMldHeEN5S1E&hl=en&authkey=CMitxeUO

FFXIV players site:
http://players.finalfantasyxiv.com/rc/personal/home

Id do it but I really have no experience with that sort of thing and Id only end up making it look shitty

Salaadin said:
I was actually looking at the FFXIV fansite kit last night for images. They have some decent stuff in there that might make for a nice OT. If you want to check it out:
http://www.finalfantasyxiv.com/media/fansite/na/

notworksafes beta OT also has some helpful stuff already in there that would just need to be quoted/copied over. Twitter info for following news, Valrus windower utility, etc. Some links that can be added as well:

FFXIV crafting recipe database:
http://ffxiv.yg.com/

FFXIV Gaffer spreadsheet:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...HRVd0otT1RiMldHeEN5S1E&hl=en&authkey=CMitxeUO

FFXIV players site:
http://players.finalfantasyxiv.com/rc/personal/home

Id do it but I really have no experience with that sort of thing and Id only end up making it look shitty

If Tek wants to make an opening banner for me I'll see what I can do tonight. I'm just crap in photoshop. I can keep it updated.

I would d/l the fan site thing now but I'm not dling a 264mb file while @ work :lol

Zalasta

I like yg's interface. However, I would say as much as 80% of the required rank information on all those databases are completely wrong (not including the ones they simply mark as 0 because they don't know). Just because you can craft something at rank 1, even if it's from a leve, doesn't automatically make it a rank 1 recipe.

Azrael

I wish we had some idea what recipes are more effective with the secondary tool. I may only buy primary tools for crafting to save inventory space.

Azrael said:
I wish we had some idea what recipes are more effective with the secondary tool. I may only buy primary tools for crafting to save inventory space.

I've been using the secondary tools a lot and mixing it up. Haven't noticed huge differences yet.

Jinko

Zalasta said:
I like yg's interface. However, I would say as much as 80% of the required rank information on all those databases are completely wrong (not including the ones they simply mark as 0 because they don't know). Just because you can craft something at rank 1, even if it's from a leve, doesn't automatically make it a rank 1 recipe.

Well they aren't to blame for that, its SE's stupid idea of being mysterious again, it's going to be some time before we know what level recipes are.

Like you say though YG has a nice interface and I'm sure it will come rigth eventually.

There is http://db.ffxivarchives.com/ aswell were anyone can submit recipes again some are wrong and most have the wrong level.

DrDogg

Azrael said:

I have definitely seen a difference. I use secondary tools when it makes common sense. If I'm a weaver and I'm making cotton bolls into yarn, I use the secondary tool (wheel). If I'm making the yarn into cloth, I use the primary tool.

With some tools I just don't know enough about the craft in real life to know what makes sense, but I have seen significant differences in ease of crafting when I use the proper tool. Not in all cases, but it happens. I assume it will happen more frequently with higher ranks crafts.

Cathcart

Azrael said:

This guide says that the biggest difference is the special proc you get. Main hand proc = +1/2/3 item and off hand proc = extra items. So he recommends the offhand for components and main hand for finished goods.

Not sure if that's true or not but at least in carpentry it seems kinda backwards. I'm supposed to use a hammer to turn a log into a plank and then use a saw to assemble some pieces together into shoes?

This gude, on the other hand, seems to agree with what I thought, you should use the tool that seems to make more sense and you'll have a higher chance of success.

I don't know, everyone's pretty much just guessing at this point. I have a feeling we won't really know until early next year after people have had time to do testing over thousands of synths.

Coldsnap

Amneisac said:

I'm looking forward to your impressions then. I cancelled my pre order after the beta but I still do want to play it for some reason.

Jinko

Later on you get a skill which allows you to use your offhand tool to increase the quality of finished items.

Or something along those lines.

notworksafe said:
True. Only three more days to bitch about the beta! Shouldn't there be an OT by now, actually?

FFXIV OT or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomba

Londa said:

Ohh i do love a strong decisive woman.

Salaadin

Teknoman said:
We could just have an all purpose topic in the Online section like the WoW topic.

Thats probably the best/easiest. After all, stuff can always be edited in later if you feel it needs to be fleshed out some.

I'll compile the stuff into a thread by tomorrow night.

Though if I can't get my girlfriend to do a banner for me I'll have an open request here :lol

abq

How do I craft stuff? Do I need to buy the books and whatnot from the different guilds with guild marks?

edit: I got the tools and materials. I pick materials and recipe and it says something about not being able to do it.

Londa

Banned
I would actually make it but I just got home from school. I don't even think anyone would want me to make it and would just shit it up to spite me. :lol

demosthenes said:
I'll compile the stuff into a thread by tomorrow night.

Though if I can't get my girlfriend to do a banner for me I'll have an open request here :lol

I'm actually good with designing things like that. So I'll be willing to help you if your gf doesn't make the banner.

LowParry

Londa said:
I would actually make it but I just got home from school. I don't even think anyone would want to to make it and would just shit it up to spite me. :lol

Because you'd spend half of the thread comparing it to WoW and praising why it sucks, etc etc. In fact, I want you to do that for a thread. :lol

DrDogg

abq said:
How do I craft stuff? Do I need to buy the books and whatnot from the different guilds with guild marks?

edit: I got the tools and materials. I pick materials and recipe and it says something about not being able to do it.

What source are you using for the recipe? Most of the recipes online are inaccurate in one way or another (usually either rank required or materials required). If you're doing a leve, just select "Requested Materials" (or something like that) at the top of the crafting screen, then select the leve.

Londa

Banned
CcrooK said:
Because you'd spend half of the thread comparing it to WoW and praising why it sucks, etc etc. In fact, I want you to do that for a thread. :lol

I only say something about WoW when someone brings it up (which is always) :lol

so yeah , your right

Atrus

Gold Member
Just pre-ordered 2 copies of the CE today. Now all we have to do is decide which server to land on. Figaro wasn't bad but in a game like this, choosing a server dictates an entire destiny.

FFXI wouldn't have been the same without the people and LS's on Midgard and now it looks like there are even more servers to choose from.

Either way, I've managed to get 2 days off from lieu hours to maximize my CE benefits.

Awntawn

Doesn't apply to the 95% of GAF rolling on Lindblum, but...
- Worlds Available Upon the Launch
The following worlds will be available upon the start of the early access that is scheduled for Sep. 21, 2010.

Cornelia
Kashuan
Gysahl
Mysidia
Istory
Figaro
Wutai
Trabia
Lindblum
Besaid
Selbina
Rabanastre
Bodhum
Melmond
Palamecia
Saronia
Fabul

* Depending on the server population, new worlds may be added.
* If server congestion occurs, character creation may temporarily become unavailable.
Looks like I'll be on Rabanastre D;

zlatko

Banned
Question for beta to CE transition. Do we want to delete everything off our hard drive for FFXIV at this point now if we are done with the beta?

Not sure if keeping any of it is beneficial in anyway.

Square recommends uninstalling the beta first, although you can backup the character data if you don't want to recreate a character's looks/base job.

MCX

Banned
So I was at Wal-Mart tonight with a friend who was buying an Xbox and there was an ad by the games rack for the PS3 version set to release on 9/28. Did Square change the release date?

LowParry

MCX said:
So I was at Wal-Mart tonight with a friend who was buying an Xbox and there was an ad by the games rack for the PS3 version set to release on 9/28. Did Square change the release date?

2011?

Teknoman

We'll probably end up making a gaming side OT after all, since we usually have a mix of GAF and non-GAF in linkshells. That way they can know whats up as far as events go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom