• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrekt

I missed the part about the client being available but the beta not actually being live yet. I got it downloaded and installed so I tried to log in and got greeted with a "13001 the lobby server connection is unavailable" error. That was a soul crushing moment.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Londa said:
i just downloaded uTorrent to my computer. i searched for the file name. But it can't be found. What do I do?

I have never used a torrent before.
With utorrent open
C:\Users\<xxx>\Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version\downloads\ffxiv-beta\d96437e6\metainfo\H2010.07.02.2000.torrent
Thats the file location at least for me on Windows 7

Im running better speed atm with the FFXIV updater though oddly enough

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Where am I supposed to download the stuff if I use utorrent, for the patcher to work?

Corran Horn

Osaka said:
Where am I supposed to download the stuff if I use utorrent, for the patcher to work?
Win7
C:\Users\<xxx>\Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version\downloads\ffxiv-beta\d96437e6\patch
Should be a file called
H2010.07.02.2000.patch

Londa

Banned
Corran Horn said:
With utorrent open
C:\Users\<xxx>\Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version\downloads\ffxiv-beta\d96437e6\metainfo\H2010.07.02.2000.torrent
Thats the file location at least for me on Windows 7

Im running better speed atm with the FFXIV updater though oddly enough

Yes, the same with me after I followed those directions. The speed was so slow. But I'm only at 14% complete and I've been downloaded since Sat morning at 8 am. :(

Corran Horn

Londa said:
Yes, the same with me after I followed those directions. The speed was so slow. But I'm only at 14% complete and I've been downloaded since Sat morning at 8 am. :(

:/
Im just using the FF14 updater and almost done. Started about 4 hours ago this morning

Jinko

There is something wrong with the SE updater client, was able to download super fast using utorrent.

Didn't have a problem downloading the Alpha :S, besides the random crashes to the client.

Teknoman

Anyone else mess with the config yet? I wonder if the default 360 controller layout will work fine?

Also new graphics options for various resolutions (full screen resolutions like a normal PC game), multisampling (which im guessing is AA or AF?), depth of field, and ambient occlusion(?)

gillty

Banned
for those interested: took a screenshot of the config, keyboard (+ mouse if that ends up being fixed) guy but plugged in a 360 controller.

14a8znq.png

Londa

Banned
siiigh 17% and its been almost two days downloading. i don't know how to fasten this speed. I'm on a dsl connection.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
So, I'm assuming I'd have gotten an invite already if I was accepted into the Beta?

Teknoman

Lonestar said:
So, I'm assuming I'd have gotten an invite already if I was accepted into the Beta?

Not yet anyway. There was that last two wave of invites before the alpha test officially ended. So I guess when Beta truly starts they'll send out more.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
*The following system requirements are specific to the FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version. As our development team continues its optimization of the software, these requirements may change.

System Requirements
OS Windows® XP SP3 *1
Windows Vista®&#12288;32-bit / 64-bit SP2 *2
Windows® 7&#12288;32-bit / 64-bit *2
CPU Intel Core 2 Duo (2.0 GHz)
AMD Athlon X2 (2.0 GHz)
RAM Windows XP: 1.5 GB
Windows Vista / Windows 7: 2 GB
Hard Disk Space Installing: 15 GB
Downloading: 12 GB on the drive containing the My Documents folder *3
Graphics NVIDIA® GeForce® 9600 or higher&#12288;VRAM 512 MB
Radeon™ HD 2900 or higher&#12288;VRAM 512 MB
Sound DirectSound® compatible (DirectX® 9.0)
Internet Connection Broadband (constant connection)
Monitor Resolution 1280 x 720 or higher; 32-bit
DirectX DirectX 9.0c
Other Mouse, Keyboard, Gamepad *4
*1 Windows XP users should install, run, and update the game using administrator settings.
*2 When using a 64-bit OS, the game will run on WoW64 (Windows on Windows 64).
*3 The amount of free space required on the drive containing your My Documents folder has been temporarily changed to reflect an increase in additional data not covered by the beta test installer.
*4 A gamepad is recommended, but not required to play the game.

*Microsoft, Windows, and Microsoft DirectX are registered trademarks (US and international) of the Microsoft Corporation. All other trade and brand names are the trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.

Please Note:
- The aforementioned requirements are preliminary guidelines based on Square Enix internal testing. There is a chance that PCs which meet the specified requirements may not be able to run the FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version.
- Square Enix will not be responsible for reimbursing testers for any PC equipment or peripherals purchased in order to meet the aforementioned requirements.
- For details on the aforementioned hardware/software, please visit the manufacturers’ websites.
- System requirements may change for forthcoming beta tests and/or the final release version.

TCP/UDP Ports
The FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version may use one of the following ports listed below. If you are using a router, you may have to adjust your router’s settings to allow packet transfer through these ports.

UDP 55296 – 55551
TCP 54992 – 55551
UDP 80, 443

P2P & UPnP
One of the methods used to distribute FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version updates is via a peer-to-peer (P2P) file-sharing system. In the event of an update, the version update program will look to see if your PC’s UPnP settings are enabled. If they are, the program will automatically open a port and connect your PC with other testers’ PCs also downloading the version update, accelerating the download process.

Please Note:
- The version update program’s P2P functionality only allows for the uploading/downloading of beta version updates. No other data will be transferred.
- The version update program will not work in tandem with any other third-party P2P software.
- Players using PCs or network peripherals that do not have UPnP capabilities can download the version update via the standard version update servers or directly from another tester’s PC.
- If you do not wish to allow the automatic opening of ports via UPnP, please disable UPnP in your router or OS settings. If your PC is using a global IP address or you have set up a static port on your router, you will not need to adjust your UPnP settings.
- While UPnP availability may differ depending on PC or network peripheral settings, the availability of P2P file-sharing does not. Rather, it may differ as a result of the individual policies of various Internet Service Providers.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Its come to that point where Im checking my email for beta every 30 minutes.

Crazy.

notworksafe

Aeris130 said:
Are there any sites that doesn't plan on enforcing the nda, concerning user impressions?
Personally, I plan on talking about it and posting pics and movies. I'm sure others here are as well.

chris-013

Tanaka is still in France for interview, I don't think the beta will launch without him in Japan...
So maybe friday ?

Hazaro said:

You sure? I thought someone mentioned that one of the options for that setting was "quarter" which would imply that "double" renders the game at twice your chosen resolution, effectively giving you 2x supersampling. Could you let us know what the other options are for that setting, it'd make figuring out what its for pretty simple.

If it is what I think it is then you only want "double" selected if you've got an absolute monster of a GPU, and its a very welcome setting for them to include as it means people can run the game at their native resolution no matter how modest their rig and high end users have something to tackle shader aliasing.

Otherwise, nice to see an option for AO and MSAA, though no option for AF is infuriating, sure its easy to force but I shouldn't have to do that in this day and age.

Be aware that 8xmsaa is pretty much broken on GTX 2xx and earlier GPUs from Nvidia, the perormance drop is not at all proportional so I never recommend it. Only users with 48xx,58x x GTX 4xx cards should consider using it imo.

Teknoman said:
Now for the next question, what would Window, Quarter, and Half mean buffer size wise?

Probably should post that in the main XIV topic since Brain Stew was posting there.

Aha, it is what I think it is then.

Basically, if for example you choose 1920x1080 (1080p) for "window size" then this is what the various settings will do:

Quarter: Render 3D elements at 960x540 and then upscale them to 1080p.
Half: Rednder 3D elements at 960x1080 and then upscale them to 1080p
Window: Render everything at 1080p just like games normally do
Double: Render 3D elements at 1920x2160 and scale them down to 1080p giving a 2x supersampling effect (every element including shaders will be antialiased).

This is a fantastic option to have and I'm over the moon that SE have included it. It means that people running lower end configs can have the game set at their monitors native resolution for a razor sharp HUD and the 3D scaled well not terribly as most monitors do. This works similarly to how the "sub HD" console games do but obviously we're talking about much higher resolutions here. It also means that people with high end configs can use some supersampling to make the game look utterly fantastic.

The vast majority of people will want to have this set at "Window." However if you instinctively ran the game at below your monitor's resolution in order to claw back some performance, go right ahead and set the resolution to your monitor's native resolution then use either the "half" or "quarter" option and get great performance without an ugly blurry HUD. Only users with a GTX 4xx or HD 58xx should even attempt to use the "double" setting.

Salaadin

brain_stew said:
You sure? I thought someone mentioned that one of the options for that setting was "quarter" which would imply that "double" renders the game at twice your chosen resolution, effectively giving you 2x supersampling. Could you let us know what the other options are for that setting, it'd make figuring out what its for pretty simple.

If it is what I think it is then you only want "double" selected if you've got an absolute monster of a GPU, and its a very welcome setting for them to include as it means people can run the game at their native resolution no matter how modest their rig and high end users have something to tackle shader aliasing.

Otherwise, nice to see an option for AO and MSAA, though no option for AF is infuriating, sure its easy to force but I shouldn't have to do that in this day and age.

Be aware that 8xmsaa is pretty much broken on GTX 2xx and earlier GPUs from Nvidia, the perormance drop is not at all proportional so I never recommend it. Only users with 48xx,58x x GTX 4xx cards should consider using it imo.

Aha, it is what I think it is then.

Basically, if for example you choose 1920x1080 (1080p) for "window size" then this is what the various settings will do:

Quarter: Render 3D elements at 960x540 and then upscale them to 1080p.
Half: Rednder 3D elements at 960x1080 and then upscale them to 1080p
Window: Render everything at 1080p just like games normally do
Double: Render 3D elements at 1920x2160 and scale them down to 1080p giving a 2x supersampling effect (every element including shaders will be antialiased).

This is a fantastic option to have and I'm over the moon that SE have included it. It means that people running lower end configs can have the game set at their monitors native resolution for a razor sharp HUD and the 3D scaled well not terribly as most monitors do. This works similarly to how the "sub HD" console games do but obviously we're talking about much higher resolutions here. It also means that people with high end configs can use some supersampling to make the game look utterly fantastic.

The vast majority of people will want to have this set at "Window." However if you instinctively ran the game at below your monitor's resolution in order to claw back some performance, go right ahead and set the resolution to your monitor's native resolution then use either the "half" or "quarter" option and get great performance without an ugly blurry HUD. Only users with a GTX 4xx or HD 58xx should even attempt to use the "double" setting.

You are awesome. Thanks for that. Its always good to know this stuff beforehand.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
brain_stew said:

Aha, it is what I think it is then.[/B]
It said double so I figured the other option would be triple :D

But apparently that is not the case.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Finally!

We are pleased to announce the commencement date for the FINAL FANTASY XIV beta test.

Beta Test Start Date: Saturday, July 10, 2010

The beta test schedule will be identical to that of the alpha test, although session duration may be extended and days added as required.

Beta testing for FINAL FANTASY XIV will be conducted follows:

Test Schedule

Tuesdays
- 3:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. *1
- 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. *2
- 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. *3

Thursdays

Saturdays

*1 Only testers possessing a Japanese Square Enix account may log in.
*2 Only testers possessing a European Square Enix account may log in.
*3 Only testers possessing a North American Square Enix account may log in.

*Information on testing dates and times will also be posted on the official FINAL FANTASY XIV Twitter feed.
http://twitter.com/FF_XIV_JP
http://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN
http://twitter.com/FF_XIV_DE
http://twitter.com/FF_XIV_FR

Log-in Capacity
During the initial stages of the beta test, the number of players allowed to be logged in at any given time will be limited, with capacity to gradually increase as adjustments are performed on server load. Should the maximum capacity already be reached when you attempt to log in, a message will appear indicating that the world is currently congested, and you will be asked to try again in a short while. At this time you will be placed on a waiting list in the order of attempted log-in time. To maintain your position on the waiting list, you must initiate the log-in procedure again within ten minutes of your first attempt.

Feedback Submission
While playing, please feel free to submit your opinions on anything at all regarding topics such as game balance issues, settings that you may have found difficult to understand, and features that you felt were inconvenient, unintuitive, or required further explanation. This can be done by posting in the relevant feedback thread. Please note, however, that these threads should not be used to report bugs.
* A bug report form exists for the use of testers who have been assigned the task of reporting bugs.

Numerous changes and improvements have been implemented in the beta version of FINAL FANTASY XIV based on feedback submitted during alpha testing. We kindly ask for your continued assistance in the beta test phase.

2San

Meh doesn't seem like I can play, they removed the compatibility with winXP 64-bit. So the installer says I don't have enough disk space, seems other people have the same problem(those running XP64).

Jinko

Does XP use WoW64 ? maybe thats the issue, time for you to upgrade to windows 7 me thinks :p

The software is 32 bit anyway and runs via WoW64 on all windows 64 bit platforms.

2San

Jinko said:
Does XP use WoW64 ? maybe thats the issue, time for you to upgrade to windows 7 me thinks :p

The software is 32 bit anyway and runs via WoW64 on all windows 64 bit platforms.
It doesn't afaik. The compatibility mode doesn't work either since FFIV is only compatible with SP3(on XP) and XP64 doesn't have that either. Yeah was thinking of upgrading as well, wasn't necessary till now(I don't fix what isn't broken). Why they removed the compatibility is beyond me though.

Game is beautiful, but I wish I could move around while attacking. My ADHD brain needs to be able to run around in circle and stafing backwards as I chase those persky kiters!

But I guess this game ain't big on the PvE right?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Vigilant Walrus said:
Game is beautiful, but I wish I could move around while attacking. My ADHD brain needs to be able to run around in circle and stafing backwards as I chase those persky kiters!

But I guess this game ain't big on the PvE right?
Its EXCLUSIVELY PvE, dude...

Sin

Can you guys in the Beta please let me know how the game runs and what rigs you have when you have time?

I'm in the process of building a gaming PC for FFXIV and I'd like to have a few reliable yardsticks to measure up to since the benchmark SE released is a mess.

LaneDS

Need to think of a good first and last name for my character.

Might be early, but perhaps between Saturday and Tuesday we can coordinate some GAF parties. I imagine most of Saturday will be people getting accustomed to the beta and flying solo.

Londa

Banned
You attack when you hit the icon for whatever attack you want. There is no auto attack. In 11 the only people who could not attack while moving was mages because of casting time. I know while playing thf that my auto attack didn't get interrupted. It was only interrupted if I did a Weapon skill or a Job ablility.

Does WoW let you cast while moving?

I'm not really sure I will be fighting. I want to understand the crafting part of this game. So I could party with gaf and repair armor and weapons I guess. lol

Jinko

I think mages can also move whilst casting spells, I know they have a skill which allows them to do this.

Arzehn

Man what the hell, I thought they were going to have a improved beta schedule with more hours with the beta. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom