• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowParry

chris-013 said:
How much time now until the EU beta ? I'm lost with all the timezones. ^^;

3 hours 20 mins.

Curious as to what type of system that streamer is using. Looks a whole lot better from alpha.

Edit: Add 2 hours!

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
When NA come's up i will post a guide how to memory edit the name.

If i dont fall asleep.

Btw how about a ventrilo for NA beta users for today?

Doodlebug

That you found a guide for editing the displayed names of characters is great! I imagine the frames editing is really time-consuming.

Having to wait 2 earth days between guildleves seems a bit much, but I haven't played the game and so can't really comment on how that balances things. Everything else seems pretty good.

LowParry

I find this quote interesting:

"When equipping a piece of gear in the midst of battle, the attributes it grants will be halved for a period of 30 seconds.
This measure is in place to deter frequent switches to high-level classes while in combat."

Jinko

I find it annoying, they said they didn't want players changing gear in battle and go back on their word.

Something I really hated about FF11 is having to carry around multiple sets of gear for one class.

notworksafe

Anyone know of a good memory editor to use for editing names? I'm not real knowledgeable on this kind of thing.

And I have a Ventrilo server that we could use to chat. PM me if you want info, I suppose.

Doodlebug

Jinko said:
I find it annoying, they said they didn't want players changing gear in battle and go back on their word.

Something I really hated about FF11 is having to carry around multiple sets of gear for one class.

Hmm. I agree.

If it's discovered that players insist upon frequently switching equipment during battle, I hope they revert to how it was to be originally. Enough negative feedback on the issue and hopefully the new idea will be discarded.

LowParry

Jinko said:

I sort of had that impression right from the get go when they said you could change classes outside of combat any time based on your weapon or whatever. Plus stats can be reallocated under time constrains.

Jinko

notworksafe said:
Anyone know of a good memory editor to use for editing names? I'm not real knowledgeable on this kind of thing.

And I have a Ventrilo server that we could use to chat. PM me if you want info, I suppose.

http://download.cnet.com/Quick-Memory-Editor/3000-18541_4-10386321.html

You will need to run the FF14 beta and then add it as a task, select string from the data type drop down box and type the name of your character in the search value.

Once/If you find it switch to edit MEM and change the name.

Not tested this so not sure if I got the process entirely correct.

EDIT:- its case sensitive btw.

Vlodril

Although i didnt have any trouble with the alpha client, i cant install the beta client. I get the 3 errors when trying to install the patches. I did what it said (uninstall and reinstall) and got the same thing. Is there anyway to get it (via torrent or something) fully patched?

LowParry

Vlodril said:
Although i didnt have any trouble with the alpha client, i cant install the beta client. I get the 3 errors when trying to install the patches. I did what it said (uninstall and reinstall) and got the same thing. Is there anyway to get it (via torrent or something) fully patched?

I could not find that option anywhere. I just used the setup in the OP here and it did the full install and updates.

Jinko

notworksafe said:
Cool. Added info to the OP.

It may not work lol, been trying to get it to work with WoW with no luck.

Edit :- Works with FF11, there seems to be a lot of trial and error though.

Jinko

New pics and mobs

up12960.jpg

up56149.jpg

up56064.jpg

up56104.jpg

up56124.jpg

up56133.jpg

up56140.jpg

up56072.jpg

up56090.jpg

24852.jpg

up56154.jpg

up56112.jpg

Vesper73

Thanks for the pics Jinko!

Would someone be so kind as to open up the config program and change the 'Shadow Detail' option to Highest, (it defaults to Standard), and see if that turns on dynamic shadows for all objects.

Right now it appears that only characters are casting realtime shadows. Yet, trees, rocks, objects, buildings, terrain, etc. are not.

The game is looking incredible! Come on Beta invite!

Jinko

Judging from the Japanese Beta it's still locked to 30 FPS, character creation is locked at 60 fps.

:(

Hopefully someone can check if this is true.

Teknoman

I guess since today is my turn, i'll do a video of character creation, try to display the battle system, and just general exploration/male hume midlander emotes.

Did XIV add job specific emotes like XI eventually plans to do? Stuff like that should always be in at launch.

EDIT: Also has anyone found any new music?

LowParry

I'll probably be testing stability with settings in and out of the city. Plus I'll be playing a Miqo so I'll work on character creation vids, emotes and battle.

LowParry

chris-013 said:
Please play a pugilist or a marauder or maybe a caster :p

I think Tek is taking care of those. He's playing one of the caster types and I'm taking the other. But I'll be focused more on the tank class and try more-so of the professions.

Teknoman

Im going to mess with lancer first, then pugilist, then conjurer.

As far as hand disciplines, I'll be trying out cooking and probably fishing.

Doodlebug

CcrooK said:
But I'll be focused more on the tank class and try more-so of the professions.

Ah, I'm glad someone's playing Gladiator. If I were to play, that's the class I'd start with, so I'm interested in seeing how it develops and more of what it's capable of.

Having said that, I'm glad Tek's playing Pugilist. I've seen so little of that. Also, hooray for some of the Hand discipline! I might get to see how fishing works.

LowParry

Doodlebug said:
Ah, I'm glad someone's playing Gladiator. If I were to play, that's the class I'd start with, so I'm interested in seeing how it develops and more of what it's capable of.

Having said that, I'm glad Tek's playing Pugilist. I've seen so little of that. Also, hooray for some of the Hand discipline! I might get to see how fishing works.

Yeah, I may go full all out tank with FFXIV though my mage roots are itching. Been a rogue for the past 4+ years in WoW so need a change up.

Sin

Teknoman said:
I guess since today is my turn, i'll do a video of character creation, try to display the battle system, and just general exploration/male hume midlander emotes.

Did XIV add job specific emotes like XI eventually plans to do? Stuff like that should always be in at launch.

EDIT: Also has anyone found any new music?

Could you please go through the Male Elezen character creation process?

Its the only one that hasn't been covered in any videos and the one I'm dying to see. :/

Rocwell

Azrael said:
That's not a goblin, is it? Please tell me they didn't fuck with the goblin design.
I was going to take a guess at translating the name for you but then I realized who I was talking to :lol It looks like a land manatee to me.

I doubt they'd Tinker with the Goblin design too much seeing how a lot of the designs from XI were untouched like the Qiqirns and the Gobbies were really popular making it onto merchandise and so on.
Can't wait to see the mandragoras.
:D

Rflagg

Teknoman said:
Im going to mess with lancer first, then pugilist, then conjurer.

As far as hand disciplines, I'll be trying out cooking and probably fishing.

Are you planing to do this with just one guy? I am very interested to find out how well the system of changing classes works. I hope that it really is possible for one character to be effective in to both polar opposite classes, maybe something like a conjurer and gladiator. A game company saying it will work well is one thing, people that have nothing to gain form saying it works well or doesn't are much more believable.

Thanks everyone for taking time to write about the beta experiences this will be very interesting.

Doodlebug

I would enjoy playing Gladiator early on, soloing and learning the game with. That, and going into the fray and taking a clobbering, solo or in a group. I hope there are no non-tank classes with shadow-like abilities this time around that can be abused.

LowParry

Okay. First impressions of how I'm running this.

1920x1080 full screen
2 Sample
Window Sized
Shadow Detail High
Ambient Occlusion and Depth of Field: On

For shadows, Standard give your own character shadows. High, characters included other players and NPC's. Highest I didn't test but I'd imagin it'd give shadowed to everything.

So like I said before and has been mentioned before, character creation: 60fps. In game scenes and gameplay: 30fps. The 30fps stays pretty solid with my PC though I'd imagin in cities, you'll probably lose a few frames or so. Scenes also screen tear like a mofo.

Not sure how it ran in Alpha but it ran well for those 30fps. The mouse can die for all I care. It's worthless right now and still. So I'm back to playing oldschool with the numpad for movement and so forth. Sad that my Super Joybox Pro 5 didn't work. Don't have a 360 wired controller so will have to wait to see what Tek says on that. Game looks great. Sounds great. Combat is faster HOWEVER! I will look into this MAJOR problem (to me) but having to toggle between active mode and none with a click is horseshit. IF there is a way, do say otherwise that seriously needs to go into feedback.

I'll toss a few pics up to show ya what's up in a moment.

Edit: Couple pics. This is again with High setting with Shadows. I'll test Highest later on.

2ptqvl5.jpg

14ul634.jpg

notworksafe

Known issues and future plans for the Beta.

As of July 10, 2010, we have confirmed the following issues. Please note that these issues need not be reported via the Bug Report form.

[Known Issues]

- During gameplay, the following may occur:
- Graphics may display incorrectly.
- Error messages may appear.
* If this occurs, please log out and then back in again.

- During gameplay, characters may become unable to move in certain locations.
* If this occurs, please use the Return or Teleport command. If the problem persists, please log in again or create a new character.

- During events when players are “bound by duty,” the screen may occasionally black out, preventing gameplay.
* If this occurs, force FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version closed and then log in again.

- If a player is KO'd just as the Return command takes effect, they may be unable to move upon reaching their destination.
* If possible, please log out and then log back in. Otherwise, force FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version closed and then log in again.

- Use of the Teleport command may result in keyboard controls becoming inactive.
* If possible, please log out and then log back in. Otherwise, force FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version closed and then log in again.

- Canceling participation in a Behest may result in an error.
* If this occurs, please log out and then log back in.

- Attempting to allot attribute or elemental resistance points while entering a new area may result in an error.
* If this occurs, please log out and then log back in.

- Connecting speakers or headphones after launching FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version may result in sound not functioning properly.
* If this occurs, please restart FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version with your speakers or headphones connected.

- Launching FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version with the "Shadow Detail" option (FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version Config » General » Video Settings) set to "Highest" may result in an error.
* If this occurs, please change the "Shadow Detail" settings.

- Whenever a gil-for-gil trade takes place between players, the traded gil does not reflect properly. The gil in question won't appear until a server restart takes place.
* Please avoid any gil-for-gil trades with another player.

- The cost of Oak Logs sold by NPCs appear to be higher than the actual price.
* The item in question can actually be purchased for 134 gil.

- On/Off option for the chat filter setting is reversed.
* "On" will display the log type in question and "Off" will filter the log type in question.

- Certain logs such as the ones listed below cannot be filtered at this time.
"You prepare for battle."
"You put away your weapon."
"Target will be disengaged in ( ) seconds."
"You are no longer disengaging from combat."

[Planned Adjustments]

Listed below are details on some of the upcoming changes. Although these changes will not be in place by the time of the first test, we are currently working to ensure that they are implemented at some time during the course of beta testing.

Event Related:
- The steps required to acquire and activate a levequest will be shortened
- The functioning of the Teleport and Return commands will be changed
- Will not be usable during combat
- Period of time before effect takes place will be shortened
- Stand rentals will be inextensible
* Retainers and stands are both new features which will be implemented in the beta test, and which can be used in the market areas
- The amount of information regarding available Behests will be increased
* Behests are a new feature which will be implemented in the beta test which let players participate in defeating monsters

Battle Related:
- Overall balancing adjustments
- The range from which enemies can be attacked will be adjusted
- The area of effect of spells targeting allies will be adjusted
- Battle Regimens will be adjusted to compensate for the changes to the battle system, namely the increased tempo of combat

- Targeting controls will be improved, and how targets are prioritized will be adjusted
- A macro system that allows for simple execution of multiple actions will be added
- The archer ability Refill will display how many arrows have been obtained
- Navigation controls on the Attributes & Gear screen will be adjusted
- A macro system that allows for easy equipment changes will be added
- Players will be able to view anticipated changes to attribute values before equipment is actually changed
- An animation effect when a character’s physical level increases will be added
- Players will be able to view when an attribute value will increase before allotting attribute points

Item Related:
- Individual gathering attempts will have the chance to yield multiple items

System Related:
- Adjustments to the main menu
- The delay experienced when opening and closing windows will be reduced
- Exiting query windows with the cancel button will become possible
- Position of icons will be changed to increase their visibility
- Multi-page scrolling will be implemented in the item screen
- Search and recruitment conditions will be adjusted to ease the process of seeking parties
- Adjustments to chat controls
- Opening the chat prompt with keyboard input will become possible
- Using shortcut keys to reply will become possible
- Sending tells to a targeted player will be simplified
- The scrolling speed of the map will be improved
- The directional keys to control the camera will be changed in order to improve gameplay using the keyboard
- Closing the main menu with the mouse will become possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom