• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

docbon

I've had a change of heart.

All members of the doome static will now be required to wear VR headsets in first person henceforth.

Time to get some world firsts, gentlemen.

Allard

ff14 to get VR support

why

It is both an awesome and vomit inducing announcement, I can't imagine the game will play very well on VR as attempting to play in first person as is is disorienting outside of looking at vistas occasionally but I suppose that is worth the use.

Omni

Started playing AST.

Very interesting. Obviously only level 30 right now but... it's different. I think I like it. The card system is odd though. And do they not have any kind of AoE attack? Felt kinda useless trying to put down some dps on mobs. Not sure how MP regen is supposed to work at this point either. Haven't been in a situation where I've ran out, but I can see it being a problem later on. Gonna stick with WHM as my 'main' but maybe if they remove the esoteric cap in the future I'll properly switch over for a while.

ebil

Started playing AST.

Very interesting. Obviously only level 30 right now but... it's different. I think I like it. The card system is odd though. And do they not have any kind of AoE attack? Felt kinda useless trying to put down some dps on mobs. Not sure how MP regen is supposed to work at this point either. Haven't been in a situation where I've ran out, but I can see it being a problem later on. Gonna stick with WHM as my 'main' but maybe if they remove the esoteric cap in the future I'll properly switch over for a while.
You eventually get Gravity for AoE. At level 52. ARR synced content will forever feel painful on AST for this reason.

Started playing AST.

ASTs have more MP problems than WHMs but Ewer card can help with that. Ewer = MP refresh card

So it seems like TGS is currently happening so any word on when we get more info on the upcoming stuff?
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/d993e8ce04945b80ba0eb4872ffaea886fb53722

Letter from the Producer LIVE from Tokyo Game Show
We’ll be holding a special edition of the Letter from the Producer LIVE at TGS 2015 to deliver the latest details on the upcoming patch 3.1.
When:
Saturday, September 19, 2015 at 12:00 (JST)
Friday, September 18, 2015 at 8:00 p.m. (PDT)

AwShucks

Just started in earnest last night! Disappointed that buying on PSN automatically started my 30 days free even though i just started my trial, but oh well it was only $10 on PSN at the time.

2 hours in, so nothing much happening. Met a character I like in Ul'dah so I'm hoping he sticks around in the main story quests. I'm level 6 already (I know, first 10 levels are quick). Still feel a bit lost on some things and need to get used to my black mage.

One question...is there a way to mark things on the map for easier finding? Sometimes when you have to go up or down, figuring out where to go in the city is a massive pain. I need to look up a dualshock guide or something so I can figure out the best shortcuts. Going into the menus can be slow.

Garlador

Just started in earnest last night! Disappointed that buying on PSN automatically started my 30 days free even though i just started my trial, but oh well it was only $10 on PSN at the time.

2 hours in, so nothing much happening. Met a character I like in Ul'dah so I'm hoping he sticks around in the main story quests. I'm level 6 already (I know, first 10 levels are quick). Still feel a bit lost on some things and need to get used to my black mage.

One question...is there a way to mark things on the map for easier finding? Sometimes when you have to go up or down, figuring out where to go in the city is a massive pain. I need to look up a dualshock guide or something so I can figure out the best shortcuts. Going into the menus can be slow.

Ah... Fresh Meat!

Honestly, take the time to look up starter guides online. They're everywhere. YouTube has dozens of starter guides for every single class. Trust me, you WILL be lost unless someone else is nice enough to explain a few things. In fact, even veterans resort to this, because nothing is worse than going into a dungeon or a boss fight and not knowing how the mechanics of the fight work and you get everyone killed because you didn't do this or activate that. So, yes, do your homework.

Secondly, optimize! A lot of FFXIV is customizable and user-friendly. Don't be afraid to change the size of windows, to hide info you don't need or care about, or to relocate display bars and info or maps into areas of the screen you prefer. Cleaning up menu clutter can make a huge difference in doing things efficiently. Learn macros, learn chat, learn which abilities to keep with you and which to make secondary.

Also, since you are literally at level 6, do know that, around level 15, things start ramping up. Absolutely, without question, prioritize getting a chocobo when the quest opens up. Do your duty trials to learn the mechanics. If you don't have a keyboard, GET ONE.

People have played this game for months and years and are still uncovering new tricks. I've reached maximum level on two classes and beat the main story, and yet the moment I go to a new dungeon or try out a new class, it's like learning to walk again.

Stick with it. The story gets very good, the world opens up sooner than you think, and it'll give you some of the best gaming moments you can find once you put in the time and effort.

Tabris

The VR support could be cool if it's not first person but normal zoomed out camera view and you can just use it to move around the camera.

Allard

The VR support could be cool if it's not first person but normal zoomed out camera view and you can just use it to move around the camera.

They would have rework the camera entirely for it to work properly I'd imagine but would be a cool effect, like a god view mode but the current camera is predicated on circling the player and depending on the control scheme the players movement would then be tied to it, would be hard to facilitate the current 3rd person perspective in VR... 1st person would only have the same novelty it has now in FFXIV, view mode you only use to gaze at the scenery, you sure as hell wouldn't to 'play' that way, especially on a melee job. But I would love if they would create a control/viewing scheme where VR worked properly as means to play the game, some of my favorite VR experiences I have demoed came from a board game like viewing approach where you surveyed events from above like a floating god.

Tabris

I saw this post on reddit and I thought it would be good for people to understand my variety comments re: FF11 vs FF14

The following is the list of battle systems in FFXI:

Normal overworld group content.
Normal dungeon group content.
Trials
Dynamis
Sky
Promyvion
Sea
Limbus
Assault
Besieged
Salvage
Nyzul Isle
Einherjar
Zeni
Legion
Voidwatch
Walk of Echoes
Voidwalkers
Abyssea
Meeble Burrow
Moblin Maze Mongers
Monstrosity
Delve
Skirmish
Reives
Unity
Incursion
Vagary
Sinister Reign
Gaea's Fete
Domain Invasion

Not all of these battle systems are good. Some are bigger than others. But there is no shortage of variety, added in every expansion and content patch in addition to expansions on existing systems. Heavensward, so far, as added NOTHING new in terms of battle content format. The only promise we even have of anything new is the super-top-secret airship content.

TL;DR: Heavensward's problem is that it's an extension, including extending broken systems, instead of an expansion.

tenchir

l_55f7f615353893la09.jpg

There's no way you can play 1st person view in VR with this game. Your situational awareness would be so poor that it's likely you will get hit by almost every single game mechanics before you can react to them.

Canon

Banned
I was looking forward to playing this game on PS4 during the sale.

But nope, Square Enix disconnected on me via the live help chat because they couldn't figure out how to recover my account or unlink my PSN so I could make another account.

What happened was I installed the trial on PS3, and since I forgot one security question and answer, I was fucked and couldn't enjoy the game on PS4 *or* make a new account since they couldn't unlink the account because I couldn't provide the security answer. I told them I could provide the receipt, I could describe that I only played that account for a total of maybe 1 hour, etc., but they refused and disconnected the chat.

I told them I would never buy a Square Enix product again. Kudos to Sony for refunding me the game and understanding that Square Enix's support was terrible. It was a stark contrast, actually, I got help from Sony in 1 minute and they did a refund without question.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I've had a change of heart.

All members of the doome static will now be required to wear VR headsets in first person henceforth.

Time to get some world firsts, gentlemen.

pay for my VR headset

Allard

I saw this post on reddit and I thought it would be good for people to understand my variety comments re: FF11 vs FF14

I hate to say this as I do like FFXI still but if those are your complaints then you should take that variety and go play FFXI as a costly extension of FFXIV. FFXI is a completely different game with completely different gameplay and completely different design philosophy. It was made for years to be a horizontal progression game where content was generated as side upgrades and the game would have been dead if it attempted to do the same content over and over again for minimal updates as it were. Furthermore you listed all that variety and failed to place it in the scope of the game. We are only now on the first expansion of the game. Do you want to know what FFXI had in this point in its life cycle?

Dynamis and End Game Main missions and the 6 avatar battles... The Sky area and all its content wasn't even opened up yet, but we didn't see that because when it got released in the NA finally more then half that expansions content was released already. But lets talk that expansion as if it finished, before CoP came out. You had the 3 kings, lvling, Dynamis, and Sky pops, avatar fights.... that was it, oh I suppose BCNM's too. Furthermore there is lots of content in FFXIV but most of it is not tied to your item lvl, its the side things like Gold Saucer and the side quests you can do on daily basis, the problem is you can't keep using that as content because a lot of it isn't relevant anymore thanks to the games vertical progression.

dark_chris

Im actually enjoying doing the crafting portion of this game. Holy shit, I shoulda done this long time ago when i started the game.
Im leveling up a Blacksmith and at 25. Any recommendations for crafting? Any essential cross class abilities I should have for it?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Im actually enjoying doing the crafting portion of this game. Holy shit, I shoulda done this long time ago when i started the game.
Im leveling up a Blacksmith and at 25. Any recommendations for crafting? Any essential cross class abilities I should have for it?
You're going to need abilities from every crafting class, so eventually you'll have to take them all to 50.

I took Weaver to 50 first. Careful Synthesis II is nice to have.

Top Bottom