• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

garath

I only generally play for about an hour and a half a night but I've been making the most of it. Trying to catch my warrior up to my ninja so I can resume the MSQ (need level 46 or thereabouts).

I do one level roulette dungeon and floor 51-60 on PotD and net about 1.5 levels worth of XP. Then remaining time is spent in levequests. Just got my gld to 22 for provoke so it's all warrior now until I catch up.

Really enjoying tanking. It's more challenging than dps but in a good way. Now I just need to learn all the dungeons so I'm not leading the group down awkward side tunnels and messing up boss positioning lol

Help me out here guys, I've decided to buy today ARR CE from PSN since the price isn't that bad, however I'll probably buy Heavensward on a physical disc, my question here, do I need to buy a new one? Are there some codes inside I need to put in?

And another question, will it be possible to upgrade my physical HW to CE via MogStation?
1) You need to buy a new copy; there are codes.

2) You are able to upgrade both A Realm Reborn and Heavensward to Digital Collector's Edition via the Mog Station online. Doesn't matter if they are digital or physical to begin with. I upgraded physical HW to CE.

3) In case you're planning on crossplay with the PC at any point, you'll need to buy a game license (code) for the base game and expansion packs there as well. The CE upgrades (and any other optional digital content) are the only thing(s) that you will not need to repurchase.

RDreamer

Any tips for first timers at low levels? I've just been kind of wandering around taking it all in pretty slowly. Doing whatever quests are near my level and FATES if anyone else is around them. Got to level 10 last night with THM.

Also, there isn't an endgame class or anything like a Red Mage yet is there? That's one of the reasons I waited so long to get into this game. RDM is my jam. It was my class in FFXI and I use it whenever I can in any FF. I know there isn't an actual Red Mage yet, but what might be the closest?

Any tips for first timers at low levels? I've just been kind of wandering around taking it all in pretty slowly. Doing whatever quests are near my level and FATES if anyone else is around them. Got to level 10 last night with THM.

Also, there isn't an endgame class or anything like a Red Mage yet is there? That's one of the reasons I waited so long to get into this game. RDM is my jam. It was my class in FFXI and I use it whenever I can in any FF. I know there isn't an actual Red Mage yet, but what might be the closest?
Just follow the main story quests and it'll take you through the early game.

RDM is coming in the next expansion.

Peroroncino

1) You need to buy a new copy; there are codes.

2) You are able to upgrade both A Realm Reborn and Heavensward to Digital Collector's Edition via the Mog Station online. Doesn't matter if they are digital or physical to begin with. I upgraded physical HW to CE.

3) In case you're planning on crossplay with the PC at any point, you'll need to buy a game license (code) for the base game and expansion packs there as well. The CE upgrades (and any other optional digital content) are the only thing(s) that you will not need to repurchase.

thank you very much!

garath

Can't comment on red mage but for low levels you should be working on the main story quest. All the side quests will just bog you down for the most part. There is a TON of content and important things to unlock through the main story quest so you should focus on that for the most part.

Main quests are things that have the gold starburst icon.

ffxiv20140912060624005_thumb.png

Quests, FATES, Leves are the right way to go if you're just starting out. If you were "refered" to the game by another player or have ANY of the many promotions tied to the game, you should have a hat that boosts EXP gain at low levels. The Friendship Circlet is the best one. Make sure you're wearing the hat as much as possible.

At level 15, a new quest chain will open up at the Inn for your town. Teaches you the basics of dungeon running, If you do it, you get good gear, final quest gives you an exp boost ring which does stack with the hat.

At level 17, you'll gain access to leveling dungeons Duty Roulette and The Palace of the Dead (Deepest Dungeon).

BRD (Bard) is in my opinion the closest thing currently available to RDM (Ranged instead of Physical Melee), or WHM if you prefer the healing aspects. Any WHM worth their salt knows when to DPS while healing.

So the combination of beating XV, the upcoming 30th anniversary of the series, the only FF game I have yet to play being XIV, and the PS4 pack having a good sale right now I think I'm going to be starting this.
Is the PS4 version a viable option? Will I be missing a keyboard too much or is there easy console side voice chat?

So the combination of beating XV, the upcoming 30th anniversary of the series, the only FF game I have yet to play being XIV, and the PS4 pack having a good sale right now I think I'm going to be starting this.
Is the PS4 version a viable option? Will I be missing a keyboard too much or is there easy console side voice chat?
I'm a newbie and so far I'm loving it. I was one of those guys who shriveled at the mention of XIV but I'm quickly warming up to it.

By the way, the digital Collector's Edition upgrade for FFXIV Heavensward is 24 dollars right now. Is it worth it at that price? I just really want Dark Knight Cecil's helmet...

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
It's totally viable, but there's no built in voice chat in game, so I recommend grabbing a wireless keyboard.

PS4 itself has an accessible voice chat, but it's not really an option when playing with randoms for one dungeon/trial.

aceface

PS4 version is great. If you really want to get into doing group stuff I'd recommend buying a keyboard. Just get a cheap USB or bluetooth one.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
This is cheap on PS4. I already have it on PC but I am turning back to a console gamer lately :p. Is this version good? Any pro upgrades planned?

I actually got this for FFXIV when I just started and forgot it wouldn't work with PS4 lol. (I think it doesn't) and I ended up using it for photoshop and editing with tons of shortcuts mapped. Super good. I love it and will buy the same model again.
I use the G600 on my PS4 just fine. It simply send the inputs for the 1 to = keys on the keyboard and you just have to map your hotkeys accordingly. Works just like the PC version.

Apoptomon

Zurvan looks p. cool. Have they given any indication about how they'll wrap up the triad sideplot? Honestly I'm okay with the utlility/military look of the new gearsets. Well the hazmat raincoat and a couple of the masks are weird, but the catboy with the beret looks pretty good.

Here's a question for you all: think many will use the egi glamours?

ebil

Zurvan looks p. cool. Have they given any indication about how they'll wrap up the triad sideplot? Honestly I'm okay with the utlility/military look of the new gearsets. Well the hazmat raincoat and a couple of the masks are weird, but the catboy with the beret looks pretty good.

Honestly I'll be happily swapping out Garuda-Egi for Carbuncle, at the very least.

Squishy3

They just said it'd be concluded.

Some interesting facts about the Warring Triad stuff, though. Mostly pertaining to Unukulhai. 3.4 spoilers in here.

Unukulhai mentions in... 3.3's? whichever one had the solo duty that there was a realm where that realm's WoL harnessed the power of auracite to capture the essence of primals and eventually fell to the primal's influence. In the lore book entry for Cuculhainn the boss from Void Ark, it's stated that multiple champions used this method and eventually fused into what we now know as the voidsent Cuculhainn and thus lead to that world falling to the void, which as of 3.4 we know as the 13th reflection.

So Unukulhai made mention of Cuculhainn before we had that knowledge provided by the lore book, thus tying him to the Ascians in some way. Unukulhai is also the traditional name of Alpha Serpentarius which directly ties to Elidibus in FF Tactics. (Who coincidentally also has moves in that game called Zodiark and Midgardsormr.)

Elidibus may be at odds with the other Ascians like Lahabrea etc. as well, as they have a vested interest in eliminating the WoL while he knows better than anyone that the fall of the 13th reflection was a result of the WoL effectively being bested by Igeyorhm, and at the same time the 1st reflection was overcome by light because there wasn't any back and forth, they just eliminated all their threats easily. Thus his intentions in sending the WoD after us weren't necessarily nefarious as it lead to the 1st's excess light being absorbed by Minfilia. His lore book entry specifically states he acts as emissary to prevent any worlds from experiencing a Flood of Light or Darkness

dark_chris

Here is my character Mary Benedictus (from Ultros)
Got her drawn from Soranamae, a great artist online that has.. quite a number of lewd characters. lol.
Overall, very happy how my character turned out and wanted to share! =]

E80ABB70-00C1-46AB-9F8D-70590ED10E32_zpsdb2pcjdy.png

wamberz1

Okay, post above reminded me of this, but is there anywhere I can look online I.E. youtube or whatever for a good plot/lore summery of this game? I'm all caught up, but everything about the ascians and the true nature of the world confuses the heck out of me. Like, is eorzea supposed to be a planet? I would buy the encyclopedia but don't have the cash.

Squishy3

Okay, post above reminded me of this, but is there anywhere I can look online I.E. youtube or whatever for a good plot/lore summery of this game? I'm all caught up, but everything about the ascians and the true nature of the world confuses the heck out of me. Like, is eorzea supposed to be a planet? I would buy the encyclopedia but don't have the cash.
Ethys Asher would be your guy

Got her drawn from Soranamae, a great artist online that has.. quite a number of lewd characters. lol.

Surprised that I haven't seen more of these here since the reddit for this game in particular has commission posts pretty often.

First commission I've seen on GAF. People post them all the time on the subreddit. I don't know this artist though, don't suppose you know their pixiv or whatever so I can look at their other art?

It's a nice bit of artwork, but not a catgirl though, so a mandatory points deduction must be made. :3

dark_chris

First commission I've seen on GAF. People post them all the time on the subreddit. I don't know this artist though, don't suppose you know their pixiv or whatever so I can look at their other art?

It's a nice bit of artwork, but not a catgirl though, so a mandatory points deduction must be made. :3

You can actually google the name of the artist - Soranamae. The artist has some work on deviantart and other sites.

wamberz1

Theres this sort of sublime pleasure I get watching pugs get knocked into oblivion by titan/levi
Words really can't describe it but it's truly incredible
I should probably get my gear up and try Sophex

Oh that looks nice. Might as well post one of the artwork of my character as well (There is quite a few floating about)

Getting very close to that A11S clear. It will be this week.... unfortunately not tonight as we went in rf with only about 4 of us. We matched up with a good party though that easily got it down below 15. It is nice to see my static all in spirits again too. Last week was pretty gloomy for us in general after Friday night raid. I'm personally glad it is still my one and only ever static I joined cause it makes it easier knowing people to play with and if it disbanded i'd probably be discouraged and quit raiding.

Of course the first i275 weapon I get is SCH. Gross

I will weep if we see more drg shit from 12 going foward. No one in our group, not even me who plays every role, wants to drg.

I'd gladly take the SCH book tho. I want to break out of my AST cocoon and the only way that would be is with a huge upgrade like that.

ebil

I think half our group has a tank coat by now and we only got 1 weapon we actually use.

But it's fine, everyone needs a pretty tank coat in their life. Praise the Manifesto god.

Raijinken

I will weep if we see more drg shit from 12 going foward. No one in our group, not even me who plays every role, wants to drg.

I'd gladly take the SCH book tho. I want to break out of my AST cocoon and the only way that would be is with a huge upgrade like that.

You don't know true suffering. Get 3 PLD blades on your first three clears.

I'm so frustrated right now. SE store customer service has just sent me initial responses and then ignored me for the second time regarding my damaged lorebook. The phone number they list is disconnected. Why the f does SE use a fly by night company for their store?!? They feel even worse than Digital River.

Anyone know of anyone I can contact on twitter or anything? This sucks that I had to wait months just for them to print more of these only to get a damaged one that I'm not opening because I'm hoping I'll somehow be able to get an exchange.

My torn and crumpled Encyclopedia has just sat there for two weeks now in its plastic seal and it's driving me nuts.

Cmagus

Working through MCH tonight and so far it's a lot of fun. It's taking a little bit of time to get use to on controller though, dealing with the turrets can get confusing and it's the main reason I've kind of stayed away from SMN and SCH but I figure I should learn how to manage that stuff at some point. I've been getting lag with NIN again for some reason so I may just switch up jobs. I've noticed when doing the mudra that I will hit the button but it just does nothing and then a second or two later it goes messing up the rotation.

Also I've been thinking of picking up the Duality album for the two orchestrion rolls but if I buy it from Amazon Japan it still comes with the codes right? Just wondering because I was gonna buy it through the SE store but the only shipping option I have is $32.99 and the album itself is only $39.99 lol.

I guess if we are posting art of our character here is mine I did awhile ago.

Squishy3

picture of me, as envisioned by ken

(i don't have the one he actually made but this is still pretty accurate)

there's an actual quick doodle of my character floating around but i can't find it right now

Robin64

Just finished Sohr Khai and now I have to do Final Steps of Faith as part of the MSQ. Kinda nervous, heard nothing but bad things. I've read up on it, and feel ready, but I bet it doesn't go smoothly even now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom