• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slater

Banned
While purely subjective, I do think FFXI had a much stronger storyline than FFXIV has, and I like FFXIV's story quite a bit, but FFXI was something special. Especially Chains of Promathia.

It's all subjective, but 11's story up to CoP was really weak. Vanilla and RoZ weren't anything close to special. 14 got off to a much stronger start, Heavenward especially as the first expansion story blows RoZ outta the water.

Kattbuss

After buying the game about a week ago I've been making good progress, I think. About to hit level 30, which opens up jobs. I'm currently an Arcanist and will be a summoner.
When's the best time to level up the second class? Right away? Put the story on hold and level the second class?

Any other tips for where I'm at?
I've been hearing about cross class skills. Are these necessary? Any ones in particular I should get?

Apoptomon

FFXI also required precise macros that included gear swaps. Every job would have 4+ sets of gear. Not as options, but as needed in normal play. A melee macro would be set up for example, as a summoner I had...
As someone who hasn't played XI, that sounds like a pain...

After buying the game about a week ago I've been making good progress, I think. About to hit level 30, which opens up jobs. I'm currently an Arcanist and will be a summoner.
When's the best time to level up the second class? Right away? Put the story on hold and level the second class?

I've been hearing about cross class skills. Are these necessary? Any ones in particular I should get?
Sooner is better for Jobs - people in duties are likely to expect you to be on a Job post-30. As for cross-class skills, if you take THM further (to 26) you'll get Swiftcast to make a spell instant and Blizzard II is an okay AoE filler. Archer has Quelling Strikes for reduced enmity (can be handy if you're going all-out) and Raging Strikes for a damage buff.

Level it up right away so you can start unlocking new skills and get the stat boosts from the jobs.

Some cross classes are pretty much mandatory. As a SMN you'll want Swiftcast, Raging Strikes and Quelling Strikes eventually.

dcye

The pre launch and launch days were so rough. I wish there was a way to get the game up and running offline though I'd love to run around the world again.

http://seventhumbral.org/

Haven't tried it in a while tho, it looks like he's stopped updating it but it might still work. You can only run around and do basic thing about the world is there for you to explore.

KuroNeeko

I hate to say this but, in my experience as a Scholar, you absolutely should level a THM up to 26 as soon as you can stomach it for Swiftcast.

Life is...completely different with it than without. It could be that SCH relies on it a bit more for instant heals, but I imagine that Swiftcast for battle rezzes / summon changes is pretty awesome.

Sucks that you finally get to the point where you can unlock your "main" class and now you gotta spend the next 26 levels as THM to get Swiftcast. I'm still dreading the climb to Stoneskin...

Qvoth

Oh, and I really hope the bigger memory pool will allow them to make it so our minions can be present even while we have either our companion or our mount summoned. Seriously. I want to see my minion at all times.

this was the case in arr beta actually, i remember you could bring the minions into dungeons

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I hope that a bigger memory pool will allow them to turn back the option allowing you to choose your tracked quests.

Kenai

Kind of curious: of all the single player Final Fantasy games, which one do you all think influenced XIV the most?

This could be either story, art direction, or whatever element you can think of. I'm just curious what XIV players think.

Gameplay wise it takes a lot from FF11 (races and job system mostly) and FF3 (the first real job swapping in the series) with a dash of FFV and FFT for job inspirations, though there's plenty of other stuff like hunts from FF12, Gold Saucer from FF7, and Triple Triad from FF8.

As someone that used to play every FF game that came out before the spinoff stuff happened with XIII and is somewhat of an MMO aficionado, it isn't really so much influenced by any single solo player Final Fantasy game as it is a cumulative product of decades of design decisions, gameplay mechanics, storytelling devices, and so on.

The largest clear influence to me is Final Fantasy XI, which I still think has the best storytelling in an MMORPG. XIV doesn't shine as brightly to me, but it still carries the same flavor, with more humor in my opinion. Other clear MMO influences are World of Warcraft and adapting several smaller but exceptional elements from otherwise underwhelming or forgotten games, like the FATE system being almost a direct lift from the titular Rifts in RIFT.

It isn't just WoW with a Final Fantasy skin, which I think a lot of players superficially make as their first impression. It does have a lot of very carefully crafted Final Fanservice in terms of how things look, though. It has what I consider to be the hallmark of a good and lasting MMO; crib what works in other games, make it uniquely yours, and make it work within the framework you created. That's how WoW got started, too.

The ties between XI and XIV are so strong that XIV can be enjoyed on a second layer if you did play that, but you won't miss it if you didn't.

Not to bash FF11 cause I played that for a long time and for its time it was a pretty damn amazing game with (good) stuff about it I will never forget, but by the time FF14 gets as many expansions as 11 does (hopefully) it may surpass it.

The story in 11 didn't even really take off until CoP anyway (Prishe drop-kicks in), and Heavensward is on par with CoP, definitely better than anything in RoZ. Stormblood could be weaker, but it could easily be stronger too, especially since it is getting a much bigger budget and certain restrictions removed.

Just started a new game. It's a bit overwhelming actually haha! I'm still getting used to the controls. I joined Ultros.

Is there a site or a group that can help a new guy progress?

Just started a new game. It's a bit overwhelming actually haha! I'm still getting used to the controls. I joined Ultros.

Is there a site or a group that can help a new guy progress?

You can follow the OP to join the gaf FC. There is always someone on to answer questions usually.

That's said, my biggest advice to you is just keep it focused so you don't get overwhelmed. Do the main story path, learn your class by reading the toolbar and what each new move does, and only bother with sidequests that are blue with a plus sign, since those lead to unlocking content.

By the end of the journey, alot will have been explained and feel more comfortable.

Redx508

Kattbuss

Thanks for the tips guys!

I hate to say this but, in my experience as a Scholar, you absolutely should level a THM up to 26 as soon as you can stomach it for Swiftcast.

Life is...completely different with it than without. It could be that SCH relies on it a bit more for instant heals, but I imagine that Swiftcast for battle rezzes / summon changes is pretty awesome.

Sucks that you finally get to the point where you can unlock your "main" class and now you gotta spend the next 26 levels as THM to get Swiftcast. I'm still dreading the climb to Stoneskin...

Well at least it won't take as long. I have the 30% exp ring along with the second class exp bonus.
Really looking forward to continuing the main story and being a summoner though...

Omni

Personally I wouldn't worry about most cross class abilities until level 50. Nice to have before then but they certainly aren't required. If you'd rather keep grinding the story and whatever then just do that //shrug

Pachimari

Guys, if you had 18 extra G keys on your keyboard, what would you use them for in FFXIV?

I'm trying to figure out how to set up my whole layout for the game.

Guys, if you had 18 extra G keys on your keyboard, what would you use them for in FFXIV?

I'm trying to figure out how to set up my whole layout for the game.
I set up 4 hotbars in the bottom of my screen and use 3 grids corresponding to my mouse layout:
Code:
G1  G2  G3    C1  C2  C3    S1 S2  S3
G4  G5  G6    C4  C5  C6    S4  S5  S6
G7  G8  G9    C7  C8  C9    S7  S8  S9
G10 G11 G12   C10 C11 C12   S10 S11 S12
G is the normal key, C is the key with the G-shift pressed, and S is the key with Shift (on keyboard).
I can use all skills from all jobs, plus potions with that setup.

The G keys are usually skills and actions, C is for buffs and S is for potions, AoE, not very used stuff and DPS skills on healers.

Kattbuss

Personally I wouldn't worry about most cross class abilities until level 50. Nice to have before then but they certainly aren't required. If you'd rather keep grinding the story and whatever then just do that //shrug

I'm really mostly in it for the story. I clear a dungeon once and then proceed. I'll think about it, I don't want to be a hindrance to others either.

suzu

I'm really mostly in it for the story. I clear a dungeon once and then proceed. I'll think about it, I don't want to be a hindrance to others either.

Tbh, you should just get Raging Strikes (archer lvl 4) and unlock SMN for now.

If you're sticking to SMN you can ignore Swiftcast until you're at a higher level (like 50+).

Hystzen

Managed to get to DRG before Haukke Manor so loving the exp bump and that new beginning ring. Should I bother getting above 15 for MRD find it boring to play compared to GLD

Zuly

Kind of sad I don't really get the time to appreciate the beautiful environments in this game unless I'm gathering. I was fishing in Costa del Sol and the sunrise looked so beautiful.

Not to bash FF11 cause I played that for a long time and for its time it was a pretty damn amazing game with (good) stuff about it I will never forget, but by the time FF14 gets as many expansions as 11 does (hopefully) it may surpass it.

The story in 11 didn't even really take off until CoP anyway (Prishe drop-kicks in), and Heavensward is on par with CoP, definitely better than anything in RoZ. Stormblood could be weaker, but it could easily be stronger too, especially since it is getting a much bigger budget and certain restrictions removed.

I'm not saying that XIV's story is bad in any way, but my exposure to XI and XIV are somewhat limited and very casual due to playing WoW primarily for a long time, so I can only give my impression of what I've played. As a Legacy player of XIV, I'll always be mad at certain changes that happened when they broke the world and the Realm was Reborn.

I did hit some expansion content in XI, but not in XIV. Working on it. If the story gets better I may return and revise my opinion. I loathe Minfilia, so if she vanishes at any point it will immediately be a vast improvement for me.

Since I can only play console versions now due to health problems that prevent me from using Mouse/KB, I am worried that one day no consoles will be supported, same as XI. Hopefully I will learn to play with a controller at an adequate level by then. It is a good thing they're doing it though, PlayStation restrictions held XI back for far too long.

I'm not saying that XIV's story is bad in any way, but my exposure to XI and XIV are somewhat limited and very casual due to playing WoW primarily for a long time, so I can only give my impression of what I've played. As a Legacy player of XIV, I'll always be mad at certain changes that happened when they broke the world and the Realm was Reborn.

I did hit some expansion content in XI, but not in XIV. Working on it. If the story gets better I may return and revise my opinion. I loathe Minfilia, so if she vanishes at any point it will immediately be a vast improvement for me.

You should keep playing then.

Since I can only play console versions now due to health problems that prevent me from using Mouse/KB, I am worried that one day no consoles will be supported, same as XI. Hopefully I will learn to play with a controller at an adequate level by then. It is a good thing they're doing it though, PlayStation restrictions held XI back for far too long.
PC version has controller support.

Levito

Banned
XIV's story is exceptional. It takes time to get going, but once it goes god DAMN.

FF12.

Of course, if not single player, the undeniable influence of 11 is present.

As someone that used to play every FF game that came out before the spinoff stuff happened with XIII and is somewhat of an MMO aficionado, it isn't really so much influenced by any single solo player Final Fantasy game as it is a cumulative product of decades of design decisions, gameplay mechanics, storytelling devices, and so on.

The largest clear influence to me is Final Fantasy XI, which I still think has the best storytelling in an MMORPG. XIV doesn't shine as brightly to me, but it still carries the same flavor, with more humor in my opinion. Other clear MMO influences are World of Warcraft and adapting several smaller but exceptional elements from otherwise underwhelming or forgotten games, like the FATE system being almost a direct lift from the titular Rifts in RIFT.

It isn't just WoW with a Final Fantasy skin, which I think a lot of players superficially make as their first impression. It does have a lot of very carefully crafted Final Fanservice in terms of how things look, though. It has what I consider to be the hallmark of a good and lasting MMO; crib what works in other games, make it uniquely yours, and make it work within the framework you created. That's how WoW got started, too.

The ties between XI and XIV are so strong that XIV can be enjoyed on a second layer if you did play that, but you won't miss it if you didn't.

12, which is perfect for people who want to see where a lot of 14 came from with the remaster coming out.

Also some 11, but 11 didn't get a decent story going till its second expansion, 14 just needed the 2.X patches to get it going story wise.

Thanks for your replies! I've started going back to the older FF's cause XIV got me to be a big FF fan. I've played through VII, VIII, and IX since. I feel like I see IX the most in XIV, out of the games I've played anyways.

Tbh I guess XI really is the obvious answer, I didn't get to play it so I totally forgot about it.

Bouniter

Finally felt well enough to get back on and start playing again and was welcomed with snowmen Christmas trees and presents everywhere, it all looks so pretty.

Went ahead and did the festive event which was a sweet little quest and proceeded to put together a Christmas outfit as was of course necessary nabbing a screen shot of my first Christmas

c0x3jaZ.png

Feels good to be back

You should keep playing then.

Working on it. Have to do Snowcloak right now. :D

PC version has controller support.

That's why I was saying I hope to adapt to controller before console support is removed from XIV. It is hard for me to play on a PC and not use Mouse/KB controls, which is what happened the last time I tried playing on a PC. It wrecks my body, so I need to learn the other way from the ground up. I just returned after a long hiatus, so really hope I can overwrite that muscle memory this time. :)

demonkaze

Was reading somewhere that Palace of the Dead is the best way to level classes these days? How do I do that, is there something specific I need to do when doing it.

wamberz1

Was reading somewhere that Palace of the Dead is the best way to level classes these days? How do I do that, is there something specific I need to do when doing it.

Just keep running floors 1-30 and it's a fantastic way to level up.
You can go up to 50 if you want, which gives you more XP, but then you run the risk of wiping and potentially wasting 20-30 minutes.

Once you hit +30 armor and weapon and beat floor 50 at least once, you can get a free Ilevel 230 weapon. Then get +60 and beat floor 100 for a Ilevel 255 one.

demonkaze

You can go up to 50 if you want, which gives you more XP, but then you run the risk of wiping and potentially wasting 20-30 minutes.

Once you hit +30 armor and weapon and beat floor 50 at least once, you can get a free Ilevel 230 weapon. Then get +60 and beat floor 100 for a Ilevel 255 one.

How do I repeat floors 1-30 after having cleared them once, wipe my progress? Should I use one of the save files for the purpose of levelling other classes?

wamberz1

How do I repeat floors 1-30 after having cleared them once, wipe my progress? Should I use one of the save files for the purpose of levelling other classes?

Yup.
Your Aetherpool levels remain the same even if you "delete" one of your save files. It's kind of a weird system.

garath

Once you get over +40 or so I'd recommend just spamming 51-60. It's almost as fast as the lower levels and way more XP. Plus you won't get many more enhancements in the lower levels as you get higher pluses.

That's a lot of buttons. Are those also mapped to your buttons on your mouse? What mouse are you using?
Oops, sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about the keyboard. I don't know how your keys are laid out so it might not make much sense.

I use a Logitech G600 mouse, which has 12 keys on its side, in the same layout as my hotbars. They're called "G keys", which led me to misunderstand your post :p

Questions about Grand Companies

I'm in Limsa Lominsa's GC. I seem to be at the maximum rank despite the shop displaying higher ranks for equipment (I can currently hold 50 000 seals). Is there some way to get to those ranks? Also, if I switch Grand Company, will I lose my seals? Is there any downside to switching GC?

Kattbuss

Alright, so I just hit level 30 on my Arcanist and am now in the process of levelling THM.
What's the fastest way to level up to 15?
Just doing FATES, random quests and the log?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom