• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just pulled the trigger on a $10 code for ARR and Heavensward on amazon. Don't know when I'll get around to it, but what do I need to know when I start?

Reknoc

Hmm, seems like I need Aetherpool armor and gear of which I have none. At least I unlocked the Palace of the Dead.

But is this really important, or can they wait till I've done the MSQs?

[edit] I know this is probably not a lot, but I've never seen this many online before (on Ultros):

Aetherpool stuff is more of a mechanic than actual gear. You could go into PotD buck naked and it wouldn't make a difference.

MrDaravon

I just grabbed the PS4 code for $10 on Amazon as well, super pumped! Was literally going to buy it tonight off PSN at $20 for their current sale lol.

Squishy3

You should at least pick them up, as they always unlock gameplay related content. However, you can ignore the ones that are in the various guilds in the main cities as they unlock other classes, unless of course you want to be those classes.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Hmm, seems like I need Aetherpool armor and gear of which I have none. At least I unlocked the Palace of the Dead.

[edit] I know this is probably not a lot, but I've never seen this many online before (on Ultros):
Just read up on PotD. As the earlier poster mentioned. You'll be fine.

SkyOdin

To be clear, you are automatically equiped with your aetherpool armor and weapon when you enter the Palace of the Dead. It isn't actually an equipable piece of gear: it is a way of tracking the attack and defense bonuses that you can earn in the dungeon.

MrDaravon

Cool, I can't even get into the game because it keeps telling me my password is incorrect (I already had a S-E ID). I've reset it 3 times now (in-game/on the PS4, not on their site), it accepts the change, kicks me back to the main page to sign in and I try the new password and it doesn't work. What in the actual fuck.

I'm leaving the one-time use password fields back as I don't have any of that attached to my account or anything since I never played FFXI or FFXIV before, and I even double-checked the site to make sure I didn't have one of those attached. Jesus fucking christ

Edit: Sweet God 4th time was a charm. No goddamn idea. It's preparing the first time setup now, is this where I'm going to get bodied by that launcher download problem I've seen people mention? I'm at 8.09% now. THIS GAME BETTER BE GOOD

Stargypsy

Just pulled the trigger on a $10 code for ARR and Heavensward on amazon. Don't know when I'll get around to it, but what do I need to know when I start?

I'm not just trying to get Twintania, Really.
If you want a referral code, let me know
You do get a Friendship Circlet. It gives a 20% increase in exp when lvl 25 and below.
It's great for subclasses.

Celcius

°Temp. member
PSY・S;227191075 said:
If I played ~2h a day how long would it take me to catch up to Heavensward solo?

This is also what I'd like to know... it took me about 80 hours to get through the main story of ARR, how long would it take me to get to the Heavensward story?

MrDaravon

PSY・S;227191899 said:
welp, there's no hope for me. i'm completely new.

This is why I'm starting NOW; I want to be ready for when the expansion hits next year but don't want to commit to this being a full-time game for me, at least not for that entire period. So starting now and playing casually or coming and going full-time should work out for me. Hopefully? lol

wamberz1

This is also what I'd like to know... it took me about 80 hours to get through the main story of ARR, how long would it take me to get to the Heavensward story?

About 25 - 30 I would estimate
Assuming you don NOTHING but the MSQ and don't skip cutscenes (which you shouldn't)

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
There's 346 main story quest you need to do to play HW. ARRs 2.0 credits pop up at quest 246.

MrDaravon

After 90 minutes the patch failed to download, so now tomorrow after work I guess I have to fuck around with DNS settings on the PS4 (?) to try to get around it.

Great first impressions lol. The password shit was really annoying but whatever, and I expect the long download times for a MMO that has been out for a while, but this patch download issue being an issue on all versions for a very long time is both baffling and inexcusable. By the time I get home tomorrow night and get this figured out I still probably won't get to play the game tomorrow either lol.

OrionX

I'm stuck in the character creator. Can't decide between male Midlander or male Miqo'te. I was leaning Miqo'te, but then I did some research and it seems the race is not well liked by the general XIV community. "Too many cats" seems to be the consensus.

Then I stumbled on all the naming conventions, so I'm also wondering if I should pick a lore-friendly name...

Clearly this is going to take me a while. lol

Ran rp

Bought. Guess I'll start off with the trial?

edit: oh god character creation... it's going to be a while before i start

I'm currently rerolling as a summoner to make switching to Red Mage easier next year and I gotta say Palace of the Dead has made rerolling a lot of fun.

wamberz1

I'm stuck in the character creator. Can't decide between male Midlander or male Miqo'te. I was leaning Miqo'te, but then I did some research and it seems the race is not well liked by the general XIV community. "Too many cats" seems to be the consensus.

Then I stumbled on all the naming conventions, so I'm also wondering if I should pick a lore-friendly name...

Cats are definitely the most played race, followed by Au Ra (in my experience). But I wouldn't worry about people being actually angry about you rolling Miqo'te, people are only saying that as a joke.
Go Roe. One of us, one of us.
But seriously, play whatever makes you happy.

Edit: also you get a free fantasia potion after your subscription kicks in so you can change then if you aren't happy.

Kenai

Play what you want tbh. I love my Roe and I wouldn't care if they were a dime a dozen (if only), I'd still play mine with love. I made the mistake of not picking my race of choice in games before and always regretted it later.

Thankfully in this game if you see something you like more later it's a quick change away. You even get one free fantasia (maybe another I don't remember) so it's not really permanent or anything.

After 90 minutes the patch failed to download, so now tomorrow after work I guess I have to fuck around with DNS settings on the PS4 (?) to try to get around it.

Great first impressions lol. The password shit was really annoying but whatever, and I expect the long download times for a MMO that has been out for a while, but this patch download issue being an issue on all versions for a very long time is both baffling and inexcusable. By the time I get home tomorrow night and get this figured out I still probably won't get to play the game tomorrow either lol.

It really sucks that they haven't fixed it by now. Messing with the DNS is pretty much the only solution that seems to work for everyone who's talked about experiencing it in here so far.

Zuly

While I don't normally run into bad groups in DF, tonight's been really friendly with the holiday spirit in party chat.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
It really sucks that they haven't fixed it by now. Messing with the DNS is pretty much the only solution that seems to work for everyone who's talked about experiencing it in here so far.
I wonder if they're even aware of it. The fact it's been occurring for so long and is causing them to lose new players from starting the game makes me think it's another case of the devs being oblivious to a big issue cause it only applies to the English servers. Just like how RMT spam was left to fester for so long on the English servers cause the JP servers didn't have spammers.

katagai

Before I forget, here's a NA maid attire code that I've been holding onto since June. I'm pretty sure it's unused, but not 100%. If you redeem it, let me know.

Quote this post to see the code below in the EMAIL tags:

The code expires on the 31st (I think).

EDIT: I screwed up and meant to use the email tags, not the quote tags.

Zuly

Before I forget, here's a NA maid attire code that I've been holding onto since June. I'm pretty sure it's unused, but not 100%. If you redeem it, let me know.

Quote this post to see the code below in the EMAIL tags:

The code expires on the 31st (I think).

EDIT: I screwed up and meant to use the email tags, not the quote tags.
Redeemed. Thank you so much! <3

Happy Holidays.

Omni

After giving it some thought

Treasure hunting and maps and stuff could get really neat in the expansion with swimming and diving. Hmmm.

Matchew

Bought Heavensward on amazon and they gave me an invalid code. Asking for another. I'm about 60 hours into the game does the story get better in Heavensward? Because right now its pretty crappy and was hoping for better.

Omni

Bought Heavensward on amazon and they gave me an invalid code. Asking for another. I'm about 60 hours into the game does the story get better in Heavensward? Because right now its pretty crappy and was hoping for better.

HW is soooooo much better than 2.0 in terms of story. Different league altogether, in my opinion.

Arthos

Anyone play on Adamantoise and have a Free Company I can join? Want some people to talk to and play with!

Finally getting back into it after being away for a bit. Didn't realize I was level 45.

Man I'd just love to have a stable framerate.

Play on PC

A lot of people play cats because they are the best race.

Name yourself whatever you want, unless you're planning to go to Balmung to RP and want an RP-friendly name. No one really cares what other people are named anyways.

Where in the 2.0 storyline are you?

And yes, heavensward is a far more focused storytelling experience. It has very little bloat and some really nice character moments if you paid attention.

Reknoc

One thing you'll probably learn relatively fast is that everyone hates every race that isn't theirs. Except for Roes. People seem to like Roes.

Sorian

Banned
One thing you'll probably learn relatively fast is that everyone hates every race that isn't theirs. Except for Roes. People seem to like Roes.

All races are fine except for those garbage lalafells. I even give a pass to Elezan even though they are such assholes.

eliza0224

Alright GAF got to me and I'll bite. I played the demo and really enjoyed it, I didn't keep playing since I couldn't afford the monthly suscription.

I'll (hopefully) get a Pro and FFXIV today!

Qvoth

Any GAFers in SEA? Living in Vietnam, and looking for a server with a healthy english-speaking population and decent ping.

Tonberry is the oceanic server, big population of SEA and Oceania
Huge English population because of that
You can use arrstatus to find out the server's ip and you can test ping by yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom