• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after a little under two years, I'm starting to get back into this game, slowly relearning how to play it. I'm currently on the Malboro server and it feels a little empty. If I were to switch servers what would be a good one to switch to?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
What's a legacy server? Is Ultros one?
People who played during 1.0, before the game was closed and remade could initially use their characters only on the few chosen Legacy servers. Ultros isn't one. If you want to know more, I recommend googling ffxviv legacy server. ;)

So after 2 years away from the game, I decided to jump back in. Just finished the main story up to the start of Heavensward (I had played up to patch 2.4, previously).

I'm guessing I should just go through Heavensward main story quests now? I'll probably put in a re-application for the GAF FC as well. I'm Ella Wolfhart in-game.

See you guys around!

Vic_Viper

looking for a guide to setting up the hotbars. Pics if possible for ideal setups would be nice.

Also, any sales on game time cards?

Redx508

So after 2 years away from the game, I decided to jump back in. Just finished the main story up to the start of Heavensward (I had played up to patch 2.4, previously).

I'm guessing I should just go through Heavensward main story quests now? I'll probably put in a re-application for the GAF FC as well. I'm Ella Wolfhart in-game.

See you guys around!

welcome back!

looking for a guide to setting up the hotbars. Pics if possible for ideal setups would be nice.

Also, any sales on game time cards?

FFXIV ARR: Knowing Your UI - Hotbar Settings
User Interface Optimizations Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn
FFXIV:ARR HUD and UI Guide
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/4sj4bh/hud_layouts/

Nohar

Is thereva "Red Mage" type class that can use weapons an all kibds of general magic?

The actual Red Mage won't be released before the Stormblood expansion. Also, a single class of weapon is restricted to each job, and changing weapons actually make you change jobs.

As of now, there isn't an hybrid class in the game which fill your criterias, although the Scholar is a good candidate is you are looking for a job allowing you to DPS and heal (also, it has a pet).

ebil

Is thereva "Red Mage" type class that can use weapons an all kibds of general magic?
There's going to be an actual Red Mage in Stormblood using a mix of rapier attacks and magic but we know next to nothing about it.

Don't expect Red Mage from FF11 or anything though, it's almost certainly not going to be flexible and will be a DPS. There's no hybrid job in this game that you can play in a flexible, do-what-you-want playstyle unless you want to suck.

If you want something that balances offensive, curative magic and buffs, your best bet is actually to play a healer. They're very offense-minded in this game and can put out very respectable DPS. There's also Ninja, a melee job that complement their dagger weapon skills with various Ninjutsu, which are basically spells if you want to hit things with a weapon instead of throwing rocks or diseases.

Redx508

Heavensturn 2017: December 31-January 16, 2017

img_reword.png

PSY・S;227216116 said:
Is the race I pick set in stone and can I still play as any class?
Race yes, but you get one character reroll potion after your first sub month and you can get more for 10 bucks a piece

Yes to classes, no limits whatsoever.

wamberz1

PSY・S;227216116 said:
Is my choice of race set in stone and can I still play as any class?

You can level every class to max on a single character, yes.
The only way to change your race after character creation is through the use of fantasia potions, which you can either buy with real world money or get one for free after subscribing for a month.

Ran rp

Race yes, but you get one character reroll potion after your first sub month and you can get more for 10 bucks a piece

Yes to classes, no limits whatsoever.

You can level every class to max on a single character, yes.
The only way to change your race after character creation is through the use of fantasia potions, which you can either buy with real world money or get one for free after subscribing for a month.

Thanks!

Reknoc

While swag mage is already coming in stormblood to populate Quarrymill there is already kind of a class that uses all kinds of magic: White Mage. Sure you're mostly healing but you also spend a lot of time throwing rocks at things.

Cornbread78

There's going to be an actual Red Mage in Stormblood using a mix of rapier attacks and magic but we know next to nothing about it.

Don't expect Red Mage from FF11 or anything though, it's almost certainly not going to be flexible and will be a DPS. There's no hybrid job in this game that you can play in a flexible, do-what-you-want playstyle unless you want to suck.

If you want something that balances offensive, curative magic and buffs, your best bet is actually to play a healer. They're very offense-minded in this game and can put out very respectable DPS. There's also Ninja, a melee job that complement their dagger weapon skills with various Ninjutsu, which are basically spells if you want to hit things with a weapon instead of throwing rocks or diseases.

The actual Red Mage won't be released before the Stormblood expansion. Also, a single class of weapon is restricted to each job, and changing weapons actually make you change jobs.

As of now, there isn't an hybrid class in the game which fill your criterias, although the Scholar is a good candidate is you are looking for a job allowing you to DPS and heal (also, it has a pet).

Thank you. Sounds like roles are much more defined in this game.

What weapons does a scholar allow you to use? Do the pets do all the attacking?

Can the healers use any attack magic like Holy, or is that really far (high level) into the game?

Ran rp

signed up for a SQ account on both the PS4 and website...

still no email...

edit: looks like i already had an account :x

Reknoc

Can the healers use any attack magic like Holy, or is that really far (high level) into the game?

Healers are expected to contribute to some damage. Scholars use books, their fairies only heal. Holy is a level 45 White Mage spell and their only AoE option.

Arcanists use Tomes (2-handed books). There are a few different types of pets depending on which branch you take, Scholar is healer, Summoner is a damage dealer. Pets definitely do not do all the damage. It a little bit like Warlock in World of Warcraft, you cast damage over time spells while your pet tanks/heals/does additional damage (depending on which you have out). Summoner and Scholar are both advanced jobs based on the Arcanist class, so leveling one will level all three.

White Mage gets Holy during one of their class quests. Level 45 if I recall correctly.

You will want to also level as a Conjurer/White Mage and Thaumaturge/Black Mage a little if you want to become a Summoner or Scholar. Cross class skills are somewhat important in this game, and the low level Conjurer skill Cleric Stance is pretty good for when you need to DPS as a healer. (Swaps your healing stats to offense stats.)

Hawkguy

Neo Member
Hey just picked up the game on PS4. Do I need to do every single side quest? Can I get by just doing main story missions or should I be doing everything I see?

Cornbread78

Healers are expected to contribute to some damage. Scholars use books, their fairies only heal. Holy is a level 45 White Mage spell and their only AoE option.

Arcanists use Tomes (2-handed books). There are a few different types of pets depending on which branch you take, Scholar is healer, Summoner is a damage dealer. Pets definitely do not do all the damage. It a little bit like Warlock in World of Warcraft, you cast damage over time spells while your pet tanks/heals/does additional damage (depending on which you have out). Summoner and Scholar are both advanced jobs based on the Arcanist class, so leveling one will level all three.

White Mage gets Holy during one of their class quests. Level 45 if I recall correctly.

You will want to also level as a Conjurer/White Mage and Thaumaturge/Black Mage a little if you want to become a Summoner or Scholar. Cross class skills are somewhat important in this game, and the low level Conjurer skill Cleric Stance is pretty good for when you need to DPS as a healer. (Swaps your healing stats to offense stats.)

Damn. A lot to think about and figure out how to play..

aceface

Hey just picked up the game on PS4. Do I need to do every single side quest? Can I get by just doing main story missions or should I be doing everything I see?

No, don't do every side quest. The main story quests should get you most of the exp you need. You can do side quests you feel like doing or that look interesting.

No, don't do every side quest. The main story quests should get you most of the exp you need. You can do side quests you feel like doing or that look interesting.
I'd actually suggest newbies do all the sidequests ASAP in the starting town, since you start with no money and no gear (minus whatever promotional hats are in the mailbox). Unless you have a friend willing to give both gear and Gil, the MSQ requires you to equip a level 5 item in each major slot, and that gear/money is given to you by doing the easy 1-5 quests that are there to teach you how to do quests and walk you near all the Aethernet points. It is a lot faster leveling than doing just MSQ/Class Quests as well.

Save the sidequests in other starting towns to give you a boost on alternate classes, in my opinion.

I recently made two alts to check out the difference between skipping sidequests and not because I see the advice to skip them all too often, and skipping them is painful if you do want to progress as quickly as possible.

suzu

40px-Mainquest1_Icon.png
main story quest (MSQ)
40px-Featurequest1_Icon.png
sidequest that unlocks some sort of game feature, dungeon, etc
40px-Novicequest1_Icon.png
hall of the novice

Don't skip sidequests, but don't focus on them either. The focus should be on Main Story Quests and your Class quests. Always do those as soon as you can. Sidequests that unlock game features should be completed too. New players should also check out the Hall of the Novice.

>> ARR List: Progression and Level Locked Content

Anyone here know if I buy the 60 day time card from GameStop.com if they will email it to me?

Usually they just generate a code whenever I buy time for wtfast from GameStop.com I imagine it should work the same although I usually buy mine in store (for the love of God don't go today though)

Vic_Viper

Usually they just generate a code whenever I buy time for wtfast from GameStop.com I imagine it should work the same although I usually buy mine in store (for the love of God don't go today though)

Yea definetly dont want to go to the store today lol and I got a couple gift cards but dont want to order it if they are just going to ship a card.

Edit: NVM, they want $2.00 for shipping and frikin $6.00 for Handeling! screw that noise lol.

Linkark07

Banned
Ok guys, getting back after taking a break when Heavensward launched. So yeah, basically a year.

Know that there are some great additions like Palace of the Dead which I found great. Yet, I found Wondrous Tails disappointing. But besides that, what else can be done besides, you know, the usual? I want to do something that isn't either dungeons or raids, crafting and gathering.

Ken

But besides that, what else can be done besides, you know, the usual? I want to do something that isn't either dungeons or raids, crafting and gathering.

that's like everything lol

you could log in and afk on the idyllshire ledge too. that seems like a popular thing for people to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom