• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkark07

Banned
that's like everything lol

you could log in and afk on the idyllshire ledge too. that seems like a popular thing for people to do.

Sure, I can do that after I return to work.

Oh well, guess I'm gonna focus on the MSQ and do some crafting jobs I suppose.

eliza0224

PSY・S;227221076 said:
Yeah, I've been downloading and installing stuff for a while now...
I feel ya 😥

After the game downloads are there additional patches? Don't wanna get my hopes up haha.

The Light

So just downloaded the game on steam and ran into the problem of the launcher saying it cannot download patches. Anyway to fix this?

Ran rp

I wish the character creator allowed for deeper customization. All the current options are too pretty lol.

I feel ya 😥

After the game downloads are there additional patches? Don't wanna get my hopes up haha.

After the download and patches from PSN install there's another download or two in the main XIV menu. The last one took me over an hour to download and install.

eliza0224

PSY・S;227224646 said:
I wish the character creator allowed for deeper customization. All the current options are too pretty lol.

After the download and patches from PSN install there's another download or two in the main XIV menu. The last one took me over an hour to download and install.
Crap, I guess I'll be playing this tomorrow then!

Yeah I am not expecting any changes to the character creator in stormblood other than a small number of new hairstyles per the usual.

It would be cool if they could make it like black desert or at least control limb/extremity size so you could make some interesting abominations but it's best to keep expectations low.

In other news I am content with Smokebomb/Shadewalker on Ninja.

I still think they are lackluster skills but letting the tank stay in DPS stance longer is something I guess.

I hope they don't get anything dumb in Stormblood. Maybe give them some shadow clones that replicate their moves or something. Something ninjaey.

MrDaravon

Yeah it said Ultros wasn't allowing new characters, then I refreshed and it was available.

My wife sat with me and I wound up making Xaela Au Ra which I was fine with but she wanted directed input on what my character would look like lol. Started as an Archer; this is my first MMO and I saw some posts suggesting that melee might not be a good option for total MMO beginners due to learning how positioning is important etc. I typically go either fast melee classes or non-magic ranged characters so figured I would go Archer, especially since you can change classes anyway AFAIK so no big deal.

I have so many questions but I'm just going to play a bit first and probably get a lot of them answered or figured out naturally over the course of the first few hours. I will say there are a LOT of goddamn menus and customization options which is fantastic, but a bit overwhelming at first.

Ran rp

I got in and chose archer as well. The only MMO I've played is Runescape so it's kinda overwhelming with all these ui elements and menus. I can't even navigate the help popup lol.

I want the ability to make a half elf like y'know Hilda in the story? That would be ace. With the drop of ps3 support, i'd be fully shocked if we don't get new options... especially since no new race is planned.

I hoped for real Paladin AOE in Heavensward and look what happened.

Key lesson here: expect nothing.

Shadewalker? Never heard of it

pls use it NInjas ;___;

Most Ninjas probably don't even have them on their hot/crossbars.

I think I've seen one Ninja use Shadewalker. Haven't noticed any Smokebombs yet.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Healers are expected to contribute to some damage. Scholars use books, their fairies only heal. Holy is a level 45 White Mage spell and their only AoE option.

Assize
Aero III, which is so stupidly good you use it even on single-target.

Omni

Most Ninjas probably don't even have them on their hot/crossbars.

I think I've seen one Ninja use Shadewalker. Haven't noticed any Smokebombs yet.

I always comm a ninja that uses it in DF. Less power slashes for me while tanking and can drop grit almost straight away

But yeah, most don't even bother. Only time I really see either of those abilities used consistently is in 11 and 12s by my static's ninja D:

Squishy3

PSY・S;227229146 said:
I'm doing the free trial right now. Should I redeem my key from Amazon? Would it unlock anything useful early on?
Wait until you reach the end of the free trial period or hit level 35, whichever comes first. The minute you redeem that code it'll upgrade it to a full account and start using the 30 days that came with it. You'll want to make sure when applying it to your account you don't create a new service account and instead apply it to your free trial service account, otherwise you'll need to start over again.

Additionally if you have any friends playing the game (or if you don't) look into getting a recruit a friend code from them or in here, as it'll get both of you some bonuses.

kadotsu

Banned
I want to get start playing XIV next year. Looking at the classes Arcanist -> Scholar appeals most to me after a glance at the wiki. I just want to know if this is a viable class?

One thing you'll probably learn relatively fast is that everyone hates every race that isn't theirs. Except for Roes. People seem to like Roes.

How can you not like the Roes, they are huge and goofy looking and their animations are hilarious.

Even though Cat is Master Race, I have great respect for the Roes. They make great comic relief characters in the story, such as the Tidus/Leviabeetus guy.

Ran rp

Wait until you reach the end of the free trial period or hit level 35, whichever comes first. The minute you redeem that code it'll upgrade it to a full account and start using the 30 days that came with it. You'll want to make sure when applying it to your account you don't create a new service account and instead apply it to your free trial service account, otherwise you'll need to start over again.

Additionally if you have any friends playing the game (or if you don't) look into getting a recruit a friend code from them or in here, as it'll get both of you some bonuses.

Good to know, thanks.

Edit: okay, turning off touchpad as mouse helped with the menus. It kept switching between normal and mouse controls, i think.

Squishy3

How can you not like the Roes, they are huge and goofy looking and their animations are hilarious.

Even though Cat is Master Race, I have great respect for the Roes. They make great comic relief characters in the story, such as the Tidus/Leviabeetus guy.
and they're the only ones who don't scale the whisper mount

5c116878_thumb.jpg

was doing a nidhogg ex farm where the tank got distracted by the femroes and forgot to turn on shield oath for the next run leading to someone pulling aggro and wiping us

Mesharey

I want to get start playing XIV next year. Looking at the classes Arcanist -> Scholar appeals most to me after a glance at the wiki. I just want to know if this is a viable class?
Really good healer class, actually all classes in the game are good.

I prefer SCH over WHM and AST.

Omni

It's like the warrior of healers. In the sense that it's almost 'required' to have one in end-game raids and stuff. Well required in the sense that it just makes things a lot easier. The DPS potential with the fairy, plus the shields is just unmatched. AST works fine as a replacement but you know.

I wonder how they'll nerf it in 4.0

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
How can I get the linkshell that communicates the appearance of hunts?

A few tips to help...

1. Get the guildwork client if you're playing on PC.

http://guildwork.com/client

It will alert you in chat when a hunt spawns. It gets data from everyone using it. It's not the greatest because not as many people use it as before. But it usually works fine. More importantly, it gets you some info. Even once you have a LS or two, I find it helpful. Sometimes it beats everyone else, sometimes it doesn't. Also nice because it will report when the mob is killed if you're AFK and miss an initial announcement.

2. When there is a hunt, and you're in the area, do a shout or two (maybe before and after the fight). Just say you're looking for a hunt LS. I managed to get into two good ones fairly quickly when I came back over the summer.

3. Put up a party finder and say you're looking. I've never tried this myself, but I've seen it. Might work. Hunt LS's really are just reliant on who's on.

4. Use this page to track hunts.

http://ffxiv.ariyala.com/HuntTracker/sargatanas (replace Sargatanas with your server name)

It will let you know which hunts are up. You can search a zone. If you find something, do a shout. I have the following macro set up..

/sh <t> <pos>

That will give the name of the mob, and postion. Once you get into a LS, add additional lines to the macro so you alert your LS.

/sh <t> <pos>
/l1 <t> <pos>
/l2 <t> <pos>

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
wait is there a free login for inactive players going on right now?

MrDaravon

I'm seeing toooooooons of New Adventurers like myself in Gridania, is that usual or are lot of people picking this up via the Amazon or PSN sales? Just curious. It's kinda nice to feel like I'm not alone lol >_>

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Was in my sticker log, so I finally completed the final coil of Bahamut.

There's one more similarity between FFXI and FFXIV. Phoenix cocktease!

wamberz1

I'm seeing toooooooons of New Adventurers like myself in Gridania, is that usual or are lot of people picking this up via the Amazon or PSN sales? Just curious. It's kinda nice to feel like I'm not alone lol >_>

I guessing it's that sale + people getting it for christmas + red mage/return to Ivalice hype.

Zuly

Time to PF a Thordan clear. I hope I can clear it before my birthday. Otherwise, I am going to be trying all day tomorrow. I've been trying to get a group for months to clear it and my FC doesn't want to do anything but level alt classes lol.

Omni

Time to PF a Thordan clear. I hope I can clear it before my birthday. Otherwise, I am going to be trying all day tomorrow. I've been trying to get a group for months to clear it and my FC doesn't want to do anything but level alt classes lol.

I joined a clear party yesterday for the fun of it. Absolutely terrible! I cleared lots when it was new so I was trying to help but when the tanks disregard every bit of advice you give it's a little frustrating.

Like he was tanking Thordan at the edge of the arena in the first phase. Then he'd tank Thordan almost in the middle after meteor phase transition. How does that make sense. Needless to say even with 20% echo of whatever those guys couldn't get it done D:

Peroroncino

Anybody here playing on Lich?

It's weird, I've been playing XIV for almost a month now, and not once did I witness anybody throwing insults/invectives, feels kind of surreal, everybody's so nice and helpful.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Until the 1st I think? The minute you login to start downloading/updating the client is when the 4 days start though.

Well that's fine as I just found out today lol. Wanted to jump on and check everything out quickly, see where my character is at.

OrionX

If anyone sees a blond cat dude named Zeph Orion running around on Ultros that's me. I still haven't really figured out how to use the chat thing yet so attempts to communicate might not be successful. lol

Zuly

I joined a clear party yesterday for the fun of it. Absolutely terrible! I cleared lots when it was new so I was trying to help but when the tanks disregard every bit of advice you give it's a little frustrating.

Like he was tanking Thordan at the edge of the arena in the first phase. Then he'd tank Thordan almost in the middle after meteor phase transition. How does that make sense. Needless to say even with 20% echo of whatever those guys couldn't get it done D:
That's sucks. This group was real helpful and patient

Oh and just in time before my birthday...

I, and others, got their clear finally! o/ Now to move on to Nidhogg Ex. Shoutouts for a non shitty Ultros pug. :D

Omni

That's sucks. This group was real helpful and patient

Oh and just in time before my birthday...

I, and others, got their clear finally! o/ Now to move on to Nidhogg Ex. Shoutouts for a non shitty Ultros pug. :D

Oh, haha. Well congrats! xD

Squishy3

YoshiP said:
When it comes to Heavensward, there was a pretty long wait time between 3.0 and 3.1. This time, we started discussion and development at an earlier stage, so that the gap won&#8217;t be as large as last time. Therefore, you can say that the raid will be released not so far away from the release of the expansion itself.

sounds like we aren't getting 4 and a half months of no content this time :>

edit: oh cool, you'll just buy the dyeable garo gear with wolf marks. should be easy to get with 3.5 eliminating GC requirements making queue times not dreadful. still want that white ADS mount from Shatter too

//ARCANUM

Did FFXIV go free to play? Or is there a free event going on right now or something? Because I do not have an active account (I'm not paying the monthly membership right now). When I even check mogstation it says my account is inactive. Yet I just opened the game and it let me log in and I'm in game right now with an older character... any idea what's going on here?

edit - just noticed at the character screen, it says days of playtime remaining - 4. what's up with this?

Did FFXIV go free to play? Or is there a free event going on right now or something? Because I do not have an active account (I'm not paying the monthly membership right now). When I even check mogstation it says my account is inactive. Yet I just opened the game and it let me log in and I'm in game right now with an older character... any idea what's going on here?

There might be a free login event going on for a bit still. It's not free to play though

suzu

edit - just noticed at the character screen, it says days of playtime remaining - 4. what's up with this?

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/7f6f03825f75fdb71701f7ad9f68cbf4d8ab3bca

Playing Arcanist, got up to 15. I think I'm going to go Summoner rather than Scholar, but we'll see.

Summoner is the DPS option and Scholar the Healer option.

Even if you choose Summoner if you want to play Scholar later you can just pick it up because Summoner and Scholar share the same level (both of their base class is Arcanist).

bgbball31

Guys, I'm sure this has been asked a bunch, but how hard would this be for someone to jump into now? I am debating picking up the collection on the Steam sale due to the Ivalice raid that has been brought up with the new expansion coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom