• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squishy3

I've been playing a lot and is finally to get my own chocobo soon! I thought I would be able to get it right away when joining a Grand Company, but it seems I need to do some MSQs first before I can collect seals.
If you've already joined a grand company, do a couple fates or the grand company hunting log to earn the 200 seals required to buy a chocobo license.

Squishy3

I don't think I've gotten a Grand Compamy hunting log yet.

They want me to check up on the sylphs.
If you picked a Grand Company through the main scenario (Twin Adders, Immortal Flames, Maelstrom) then you have a Grand Company hunting log, this happens immediately after defeating Ifrit. It's accessed the same way as the normal hunting log, you just have an extra step of having to click on the logo of the Grand Company you joined. It'll be below the class symbols.

9tTN31x.jpg

In this picture it's the black boat on a red background, which is the Maelstrom's GC logo.

you have like 8 steps to go through. Each worse than the last. After collecting the atma, you gotta do books which require dungeons, mob kills, and fates. Then you gotta collect light which comes from doing trials. Then you gotta infuse 60 some stats of materia into your weapon. After that you gotta do more books and get crafted items. After that I dont know what you gotta do but Im guessing its the same.

If you want a for sure way of getting the atma to drop, get somebody with worse luck at atma farming than you to party with you and watch the atma rain down for you while the other guy cries. It's proven to work 100% of the time

I think it's more of if you want the glamour. But no, a new relic quest line is ongoing which, again, will get replaced come expansion. Do you want the glamour piece of awesome and title that goes with it? Up to you.

There are two relics--the ARR one at level 50 and the Heavensward one at level 60. Getting the ARR one all the way to the very last stage, which is still a pretty big time investment, lets you skip one trivial step on the Heavensward relic (the Heavensward atma grind, funnily enough.) That is the only link between the level 50 relic and the level 60 relic, and in the time it takes you to get a single level 50 relic to Zeta (the last stage) you can probably farm out the HW atma for a relic for every job in the game.

As for whether it's a good investment or not... Depends entirely on how much fun you have grinding out the steps. It will enjoy a brief shining couple months of being the BiS weapon for everyone at the end of the expansion, but whether that justifies the time sunk into the grind is going to vary from person to person.

Sort of, but it's not required. There's a new relic in Heavensward once you reach lv 60 and there will most likely be a new one in Stormblood at 70. If you fully complete the ARR one you can skip the first step for the HW one. If you don't have a complete relic from ARR you just start at step 1 for the HW one which doesn't take long especially compared to fully completing an ARR relic.

Damn, I see. I'll stop wasting my time then. I'll go for the Heavensward relic weapon instead. Thanks.

Zuly

Doing the Umbrite step for my Anima weapon. For the longest time I heard people complaining about getting the Umbrites yet Lore is basically rains down on me and I have a harder time getting the stuff for Crystal Sand. I've been doing a mix of Moonstones, stuff you can buy with poetics, and the CT/Void Ark drops.

Since I finally got all of the level 58 Gathering Blue Script gear, I'll now add Rowena Blue Script Tokens into the mix. My crafters aren't high enough to get the demimateria needed.

If only I hadn't gambled away all that Grade IV elemental materia. >.<

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Doing the Umbrite step for my Anima weapon. For the longest time I heard people complaining about getting the Umbrites yet Lore is basically rains down on me and I have a harder time getting the stuff for Crystal Sand. I've been doing a mix of Moonstones, stuff you can buy with poetics, and the CT/Void Ark drops.

Since I finally got all of the level 58 Gathering Blue Script gear, I'll now add Rowena Blue Script Tokens into the mix. My crafters aren't high enough to get the demimateria needed.

If only I hadn't gambled away all that Grade IV elemental materia. >.<

If you need sand, and are not using them for anything else, do the leve trick. Get high level leve in Foundation (I use "Dance Magic Dance"). The leve will be in the Hinterlands. You start the leve. and then scan the area for a treasure chest (seems to be a 20%-25% spawn rate). Find the chest or not, you then quit the leve and retry. Once you get a pattern down, it only takes 30 seconds or so per leve.

The chest has an item (something Amber) that is a 1:1 sand trade, and it's 100% from the chest.

Pachimari

If you picked a Grand Company through the main scenario (Twin Adders, Immortal Flames, Maelstrom) then you have a Grand Company hunting log, this happens immediately after defeating Ifrit. It's accessed the same way as the normal hunting log, you just have an extra step of having to click on the logo of the Grand Company you joined. It'll be below the class symbols.

In this picture it's the black boat on a red background, which is the Maelstrom's GC logo.

I see. I'll check it out when I play tonight. Because then I'll do the Hunting Log before moving on with the MSQ.

[edit] Where can I see how many seals I have? And can it be displayed on my HUD?

ilium

So I decided to jump into the game again after playing for about a year after ARR launch.
I bought the PC version to play on my new laptop after getting good results on the benchmark.
However, I have encountered some weird bug on the foliage. I know the shimmering is part of the Directx 9 client experience but in addition to that I also get some sort of "firefly-effect" on most leaves.
I tried the direct x 11 client and the shimmer and fireflies are gone, but my FPS drop to about 25 while I get steady 30 on direct x 9 which is why I would prefer to stay on that.
I can live with the shimmer but those fireflies are pretty distracting, especially at night.
I played around with the settings but could not make it better sadly.
Playing on an Acer V3-327-57CW, Core i5-6267U, Intel Iris 550

Anyone has an idea how to fix that?

Edit: After installing the older driver (there are only 2 available) the problem was gone but my FPS dropped to directx 11 levels lol ._. Guess I have to get used to it for now and hope for a fix some day...

ffxiv_25122016_1614532zj5x.png

ffxiv_25122016_161718i6k44.png

Reknoc

I see. I'll check it out when I play tonight. Because then I'll do the Hunting Log before moving on with the MSQ.

[edit] Where can I see how many seals I have? And can it be displayed on my HUD?

If you're on PC you cant press Ctrl+C, or click on where your gil is.

Other wise its in the character section on your main menu

LProtag

I think I've decided I'm going to get back into the game this week. How much fun can you have/how much content is there playing casually and not really being great at raiding? I doubt I'll have to the time to really get good at the game.

Zuly

I think I've decided I'm going to get back into the game this week. How much fun can you have/how much content is there playing casually and not really being great at raiding? I doubt I'll have to the time to really get good at the game.

The entire game is basically single player friendly with the exception of story dungeons which the game puts you in matchmaking for. Story dungeons are fairly easy with only optional dungeons/raids providing some level of difficulty.

LProtag

The entire game is basically single player friendly with the exception of story dungeons which the game puts you in matchmaking for. Story dungeons are fairly easy with only optional dungeons/raids providing some level of difficulty.

How hard would it be to get involved in that endgame content, is it a huge jump up or would I be able to try out some of it without being super geared or optimized?

Damn, I see. I'll stop wasting my time then. I'll go for the Heavensward relic weapon instead. Thanks.

Don't bother doing any relic at all until you have completed all of the current story. It's a completely optional thing and a bad thing to recommend to new players to focus on imo because of the amount of grinding involved.

neoemonk

How hard would it be to get involved in that endgame content, is it a huge jump up or would I be able to try out some of it without being super geared or optimized?

There are item level requirements but it's really easy to gear up for all but the highest level content. Hunts and duty roulettes drop tomes which let you buy higher level gear.

Palace of the Dead will also let you get a good high level weapon.

Zuly

All of the current end-game content/boss trails have a normal version and "Savage" version. The normal versions are very lenient when it comes to gear level and are not too difficult. The same applies to the base game's boss trials: there's a normal boss encounter, a hard mode boss encounter and a extreme mode boss encounter. This changes a bit later in the game where there's only the normal/hard version and the extreme version.

Pachimari

If you're on PC you cant press Ctrl+C, or click on where your gil is.

Other wise its in the character section on your main menu

I found it, but it can not be shown on the HUD like gil can? I can't seem to find it.

[edit] Oh well, I think I can only right-click it to change between the different currencies. Wish I could have two of them on my HUD.

The new relic might be a good idea if you want a good weapon going into Stormblood but I honestly really DOUBT SB content is going to be only friendly to 270 weapons or so. I think you can probably go in with a shire weapon no problem.

Pachimari

Hatali is an optional dungeon.

Edit: Nedrick Ironheart is the NPC that unlocks a lot of optional dungeons, he' in The Waking Sands (Western Thanalan)

I'll try to talk to him. I'm just not sure if I am supposed to clear the that Hunting Log. I'm lvl 25, and there's lvl 45 creatures where I need to slay some of these. Four hits and I'm done for.

Reknoc

I found it, but it can not be shown on the HUD like gil can? I can't seem to find it.

[edit] Oh well, I think I can only right-click it to change between the different currencies. Wish I could have two of them on my HUD.

You wont really need to be on there for very long, just have it showing while you save up for your chocobo, after that you'll probably stop caring about seals until like... lvl 60 lol

Zuly

Nedrick isn't actually in the Waking Sands, he's standing around outside.

Yeah, my bad. I should have said Vesper Bay instead. I kind of put the two together in my head.

Edit: Fisher level 60. Collectables on it have been piss easy so far. Now to gear it up.

OrionX

Hi! So I've never played an MMO before, but I love FF and I keep seeing people on GAF praise XIV, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm about to start the free trial and I figured if I like it I might buy it while it's on sale. I don't really have any questions at the moment, but that could change once I start playing. lol

One thing I wanted to be sure about: PS Plus isn't required to play this game at all, right?

Thorgal

Hi! So I've never played an MMO before, but I love FF and I keep seeing people on GAF praise XIV, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm about to start the free trial and I figured if I like it I might buy it while it's on sale. I don't really have any questions at the moment, but that could change once I start playing. lol

One thing I wanted to be sure about: PS Plus isn't required to play this game at all, right?

nope , only a FF14 sub is required

Vic_Viper

Been awhile since I've played and want to get back in to playing regularly. What's the most ideal way to relearn all the systems/abilities? Start a fresh character just to get the hang of it again before switching back to my main? Or just start a new class?

Also having trouble trying to set up my hotbar layouts. Is there a good guide somewhere I can use to see how I set up my hot bars? Pics of ideal set ups would be a huge plus so I can see what my set up should look like at the end.

Playing a Ninja currently.

Also do we know which stores are going to carry the Stormblood CE? GameStop had the Heavensward CE if i recall correctly so I hope try do again but worried Square will only carry it on their store this time.

Been awhile since I've played and want to get back in to playing regularly. What's the most ideal way to relearn all the systems/abilities? Start a fresh character just to get the hang of it again before switching back to my main? Or just start a new class?

Also having trouble trying to set up my hotbar layouts. Is there a good guide somewhere I can use to see how I set up my hot bars? Pics of ideal set ups would be a huge plus so I can see what my set up should look like at the end.

Playing a Ninja currently.

Also do we know which stores are going to carry the Stormblood CE? GameStop had the Heavensward CE if i recall correctly so I hope try do again but worried Square will only carry it on their store this time.
No need start from scratch, unlock the Palace of The Dead and test stuff out there.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Amazingly, I'm back to super noob in this game
It took me roughly 2 hours to fix the HUD to my liking

Then took me for fucking ever to setup my WAR Crossbar
Thank fuck I have good muscle memory, so I know my combos old
But CD's I'm completely fucked lol

Playing WAR to 60 first
Pick Low level roulette, get Aurum Vale as my intro dungeon, fucking lol
Tanked the whole thing very well, got 2 commendations out of it

How do you level up quickly
My Quests are mad old, no clue how to start the expansion
Annoying I can't get good ilvl gear, cause I need to reach level60 to start the ilvl process

Give me some guidance!
Sucks being underleveled

Playing WAR to 60 first

Annoying I can't get good ilvl gear, cause I need to reach level60 to start the ilvl process

Give me some guidance!
Sucks being underleveled

Yeah I just recently came back too. If you finished the main story from ARR to see the credits screen, go to the Waking Sands and see if the quest marker shows up there.

I use this to check what I need finished: http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Main_Scenario_Quests

There's a ton of stuff to do I've been playing since launch and never raided and I always have something to do.

Cmagus

Playing WAR to 60 first

Give me some guidance!
Sucks being underleveled

Palace of the Dead all day, everyday. You can unlock it at 15 and you level really fast in there plus it has a separate leveling system so you'll be able to hit 60 inside and try out and practice with all the skills. After exiting you get a big chunk of exp and then you rinse and repeat.

Kenai

Wait, Palace of the Dead is unlocked at lvl 15? I'm lvl 24 now and I've never heard of it in the game.

It's a side quest. While a lot of important features are unlocked via the MSQ, there are also several meaty things via side quests too.

I don't remember if it starts in Quarrymill or you are sent there though.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I'm guessing I'm assed out on the big stuff like Labyrinths, Syrius tower, and World of Darkness

Queued up for 30 minutes as tank for WOD for quest and nothing still

Squishy3

I'm guessing I'm assed out on the big stuff like Labyrinths, Syrius tower, and World of Darkness

Today's the unofficial queue day for Crystal Tower but might still be a little while since it's Christmas Day

CLBridges

I think on Saturday or Sunday, ffxiv subreddit used to advertise a crystal tower day or something similar to encourage people to queue, may have died down nowadays.

Edit: what squishy said :)

Wait, Palace of the Dead is unlocked at lvl 15? I'm lvl 24 now and I've never heard of it in the game.

17, quest starts in Gridania's Inn (The Carline Canopy).

Haha, S-E has been poking a lot of fun at that laugh lately. The lampooning in WoFF was great, thanks for sharing the mail text, Ken.

Pachimari

Hmm, seems like I need Aetherpool armor and gear of which I have none. At least I unlocked the Palace of the Dead.

Always do blue sidequests marked with a "+" as soon as they appear.

But is this really important, or can they wait till I've done the MSQs?

[edit] I know this is probably not a lot, but I've never seen this many online before (on Ultros):

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom