• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, I'm sure this has been asked a bunch, but how hard would this be for someone to jump into now? I am debating picking up the collection on the Steam sale due to the Ivalice raid that has been brought up with the new expansion coming.

Not difficult at all. I did it a month and a half ago and I am hooked. This game is a drug to me. Do it.

Mothman91

So just bought this and Heavenlysword from Amazon. Trying to get through the launcher and it's asking for my one time password? I'm guessing it's the equivalent of the Blizzard authenticator?

Can anyone point to where I can get it?

Apharmd

Oh my god I just wasted an hour's worth of progress on a new character in a different server. How the fuck do I make a character on Ultros????

What the fuck? I made my character on Ultros but now it's on Famfrit??

Also, leave the One Time Password blank.

Oh my god I just wasted an hour's worth of progress on a new character in a different server. How the fuck do I make a character on Ultros????

Pay attention to the server full message, if the server is not accepting new characters at the time of creation, you'll default to the first available server on the same data center.

Basically wait and refresh until it lets you pick Ultros. Not sure about PC, but there's a button you can push to refresh on PS4, so there should be a similar option.

Character creation is open at certain times. Are you sure you selected Ultros?

Because if you did it would have either made it there or it would have told you that you can't create one right now.

suzu

You can also save your character's appearance at some point during the character creation. So you should save it, while waiting for servers to become available.

For Ultros, I think it's open in the early morning hours.

Apharmd

Urgh. Now that I looked through character creation, if I pick a world that isn't highlighted (aka available) it defaults to the first one available. Whatever, I fucked up. Now that I read through the OT, I guess I have to wait for Ultros to become available.

Squishy3

Urgh. Now that I looked through character creation, if I pick a world that isn't highlighted (aka available) it defaults to the first one available. Whatever, I fucked up. Now that I read through the OT, I guess I have to wait for Ultros to become available.
You can still right click the character and save their appearance data so you don't need to replicate the options from scratch.

Apharmd

You can still right click the character and save their appearance data so you don't need to replicate the options from scratch.

Yeah, if there is one bright side is that I got to play around with some Hyur and Au Ra character creation options and I'm really liking what I can make out of the latter. Just watching Interstellar right now while refreshing the server list every once in awhile.

Yeah, if there is one bright side is that I got to play around with some Hyur and Au Ra character creation options and I'm really liking what I can make out of the latter. Just watching Interstellar right now while refreshing the server list every once in awhile.

Should be open within the next 2 hours hopefully. Stay strong.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Finally done setting up controller shortcuts for my BLM. I'm honestly dreading doing the same for all the other classes. That said, playing on a kb/m, even though I have G600 isn't something I want to do on either system after sitting in front of a desk for the whole day at work.
I wish the game had some recommended presets for controllers for each class, that would've been cool!

Zelias

Banned
Heading back to FFXIV to catch up on what I've missed. Was looking at levelling a new class to get back into the game (have BRD at 60), is Palace of the Dead the best way to level now or is it still dungeons and fate parties? Haven't played since 3.1 lol.

Qvoth

Heading back to FFXIV to catch up on what I've missed. Was looking at levelling a new class to get back into the game (have BRD at 60), is Palace of the Dead the best way to level now or is it still dungeons and fate parties? Haven't played since 3.1 lol.

51-60 potd spam is the fastest i think

Munba

http://gamerescape.com/2016/12/26/famitsu-sits-down-with-naoki-yoshida-at-jp-fan-festival-2016/

3. The importance of diving and swimming
F: Flying had a big role in Heavensward. Will swimming and diving also have a big importance?
Y: In Heavensward, you unlocked flying after finishing the main quests in that area, so it wasn’t really necessary for the main quests. With swimming and diving, you will need it for certain main scenario quests, which is why you will need to get the ability to do so. Other than the MSQ, you won’t be forced by the game to swim/dive. However, there will be content for it that will expand the game experience. Flying is only a means of transportation, but there is content that you won’t be able to do unless you dive, which gives it even more importance than flying.

F: Will there be dungeons and towns underwater?
Y: Um…. (laugh). I won’t say no.

I like the sound of this.

Kyoufu

These MSQs are killing me. They're so awful.

Talk to this NPC

*talks to NPC*

Talk to this NPC again

*talks to NPC again*

Talk to this NPC...again

*screams internally*

Talk to this NPC one last time

FOR FUCKS SAKE

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I wrote in the Stomblood thread that the vanilla MSQs are an incredibly drawn out and boring hurdle at this point in the game. Hopefully for the release they realize vanilla is far enough gone and allow people to shortcut a lot of it.

Ken

I wrote in the Stomblood thread that the vanilla MSQs are an incredibly drawn out and boring hurdle at this point in the game. Hopefully for the release they realize vanilla is far enough gone and allow people to shortcut a lot of it.

They talked about jump potions to let you skip the vanilla and heavenward stories.

Kenai

vashj'ir not important enough to you?

It's been...3 expansions? since then, so yea. If it's gonna be implemented it should probably be more relevant than that, especially since WoW had swimming prior to Vash and it will be an entirely new thing here. if they don't implement it in a way that makes a large enough part of the playerbase happy, that will be a lot of wasted time and effort.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Well, they will allow a shortcut, like WoW - a paid one. Like the above poster mentioned, they will introduce Jumping Potions, which already exist on Chinese/Korean servers iirc.
Detailed explanation by Yoshida.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
It's been...3 expansions? since then, so yea. If it's gonna be implemented it should probably be more relevant than that, especially since WoW had swimming prior to Vash and it will be an entirely new thing here. if they don't implement it in a way that makes a large enough part of the playerbase happy, that will be a lot of wasted time and effort.

Swimming back in vanilla lead to some fun quest chains or mat farming, but I agree it was never meant to be anything special.

Well, they will allow a shortcut, like WoW - a paid one. Like the above poster mentioned, they will introduce Jumping Potions, which already exist on Chinese/Korean servers iirc.
Detailed explanation by Yoshida.

I was under the impression these were just level boosts. Wow doesn't give you attunements with your boost, just some gear and gold..well and a garrison. If these potions actually flag you to be ready to begin HW quests, that'd be pretty cool. Though it'd be another gate before experiencing the latest content.

edit: alright just read your link, got it, great for SB adopters

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Swimming back in vanilla lead to some fun quest chains or mat farming, but I agree it was never meant to be anything special.

I was under the impression these were just level boosts. Wow doesn't give you attunements with your boost, just some gear and gold..well and a garrison. If these potions actually flag you to be ready to begin HW quests, that'd be pretty cool. Though it'd be another gate before experiencing the latest content.
As mentioned in that longish explanation by Yoshida, there are 2 types of those boosts - one skips the main quest until the previous chunk of content (currently it skips ARR so you can play HW, but that will be changed with SB) and the other boosts one of your jobs to lv 50 (will be 60). I can only assume that the former will give you the required level as well.

Edit:
Too slow.

I'm an expert

yeah sorry I havent dived deep into fanfest details, still contemplating returning, need to login on for the free 4 day thing and take a look around

BHK3

Banned
So I got the $10 code from amazon and I want to play with my friend. He's on PC and also lives in the EU, data center Chaos on the World Odin is what he told me. I know MMO's do this weird thing where you can't switch servers or something, will I lag if I start playing with him or can I play on my server and then with him as I please? I'm on PS4

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So I got the $10 code from amazon and I want to play with my friend. He's on PC and also lives in the EU, data center Chaos on the World Odin is what he told me. I know MMO's do this weird thing where you can't switch servers or something, will I lag if I start playing with him or can I play on my server and then with him as I please? I'm on PS4
You can play with him, but if you're based in the NA you will experience higher latency playing on an EU server. You can transfer a character for a fee ($18) if you want to later or (or just restart on another server if you're not that far into the game).

Ken

1. U can switch servers for $15 or something
2. Idk depends on how far you are to EU servers
3. If you want to play with him you must play on the same Data Center with him. This way matchmaking has a chance to put you two together. If you want to meet up with him in the world and have an easier time doing content together you should play on his server.

Lag will be the same since you're all connecting to the same place if you're on the same data center (which you have to be to play with him).

January will introduce cross server party finder so you can play with each other that way if you don't want to be on the same server.

I have two big questions as someone who is returning to the game-

1) In their infinite wisdom, the last leg of the main story of the OG game is behind a Heavy party dungeon. I understand the dungeon itself is not as difficult as a true raid but how often are there people signing up for it? The wait timer says 5mins but that seems like bs

2) I understand there's a whole ton of story Mission between the end of the OG campaign and Heavensward... I don't care about any of that and I can watch them on YouTube. So can I jump straight into the expansion?

Tomat

You're still going to have to do all the story quests between the end of ARR and Heavansward. You can skip all the cutscenes if you want and watch them later, but you still have to do them.

Can't speak to the first question since I haven't done it in ages.

Apoptomon

I have two big questions as someone who is returning to the game-

1) In their infinite wisdom, the last leg of the main story of the OG game is behind a Heavy party dungeon. I understand the dungeon itself is not as difficult as a true raid but how often are there people signing up for it? The wait timer says 5mins but that seems like bs

2) I understand there's a whole ton of story Mission between the end of the OG campaign and Heavensward... I don't care about any of that and I can watch them on YouTube. So can I jump straight into the expansion?

1) the game does give veterans incentive to queue for the final ARR content, but i'm not sure how popular it is since it and its rewards are for the old endgame. Do note that the dungeon is interspersed with many cutscenes, and that DF party members are unlikely to wait for people watching them (you csn of course watch the plot later elsewhere).

2) Until they implement the Story Skip option, you will have to do the ~100 or so Main Story Quests until the plot dumps you on Ishgard's doorstep before you can do the Heavensward content.

eliza0224

Okay, it's downloading the last (?) patch, 13gb. My internet had died during the night so the download was interrupted ;-;

Hopefully when I get back from work it'll be done! Just 8 hours to go haha.

BHK3

Banned
You can play with him, but if you're based in the NA you will experience higher latency playing on an EU server. You can transfer a character for a fee ($18) if you want to later or (or just restart on another server if you're not that far into the game).

1. U can switch servers for $15 or something
2. Idk depends on how far you are to EU servers
3. If you want to play with him you must play on the same Data Center with him. This way matchmaking has a chance to put you two together. If you want to meet up with him in the world and have an easier time doing content together you should play on his server.

Lag will be the same since you're all connecting to the same place if you're on the same data center (which you have to be to play with him).

January will introduce cross server party finder so you can play with each other that way if you don't want to be on the same server.

So unless I pay $15 I'm gonna be stuck on EU with slight lag? And in Jan. I'll be able to play with my EU friend for free using the cross server party finder?

Tomat

So unless I pay $15 I'm gonna be stuck on EU with slight lag? And in Jan. I'll be able to play with my EU friend for free using the cross server party finder?
No. There are data centers and the group of servers within them. Your friend is on a server within an EU data center. There is a feature coming out soon that lets you make parties with people anywhere on your data center. It's data center specific though, so someone an a NA data center will not be able to make a group with someone from an EU data center.

So basically you're either on the same server as your friend, on the same data center as your friend (which is pointless, you may as well join his server), or you're on a different data center and will not be able to play together. I can't speak to the "slight" part in slight lag either. Maybe someone from the EU who played on a NA data center previously can comment what that was like.

You're still going to have to do all the story quests between the end of ARR and Heavansward. You can skip all the cutscenes if you want and watch them later, but you still have to do them.

Can't speak to the first question since I haven't done it in ages.

1) the game does give veterans incentive to queue for the final ARR content, but i'm not sure how popular it is since it and its rewards are for the old endgame. Do note that the dungeon is interspersed with many cutscenes, and that DF party members are unlikely to wait for people watching them (you csn of course watch the plot later elsewhere).

2) Until they implement the Story Skip option, you will have to do the ~100 or so Main Story Quests until the plot dumps you on Ishgard's doorstep before you can do the Heavensward content.

Urgh that's what I feared. None of that sounds the least bit appealing. Every time I want to come back into the game I just think back to these two issues.

Heartfyre

No. There are data centers and the group of servers within them. Your friend is on a server within an EU data center. There is a feature coming out soon that lets you make parties with people anywhere on your data center. It's data center specific though, so someone an a NA data center will not be able to make a group with someone from an EU data center.

So basically you're either on the same server as your friend, on the same data center as your friend (which is pointless, you may as well join his server), or you're on a different data center and will not be able to play together. I can't speak to the "slight" part in slight lag either. Maybe someone from the EU who played on a NA data center previously can comment what that was like.

"Goddamn it! I was totally out of that AOE circle! Miles out! And for ages! Goddamn lag!"

Trying to line up for Sin and Punishment with Sophia could be frustrating when each player would move away a second after you moved towards them, in an effort to move towards you, so you move back to line up with them, but in the next second they move away from you in their effort to line up with your previous location. Cross-continental primal-slaying in a nutshell.

But it's generally fine.

CLBridges

Finally getting around to going through Alexander Creator, story mode. Also, gonna finish Sophia normal today. Just wanna wrap these up before my sub expires on 3rd January. I'll resub once 3.5 releases. Then, onwards to stormblood in June!

It just occurred to me that I'm going for Ninja, and I'm level 16 Puglist! I jumped over to Rogue, and holy cow. This is the most fun I've had with a class so far. Something about the Rogue's abilities are just really fun.

Pastulio

Banned
These MSQs are killing me. They're so awful.

FOR FUCKS SAKE

I've said this many times before. Final Fantasy XVI has the worst questing experience of any game I've ever played. I personally had to take a break three times because the monotony was getting to me.

I've said this many times before. Final Fantasy XVI has the worst questing experience of any game I've ever played. I personally had to take a break three times because the monotony was getting to me.

Aren't they supposed to get really better as soon as we reach Heavensward content?

bgbball31

Haven't bought it yet, does this get better in Heavensword? Or is this kind of the MO of quests in this game?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Yes, story quests get much better in Heavensward. What you're doing doesn't change drastically (kill x, talk to NPC y), but the actual story, cutscenes, characters etc. are way above anything in ARR.

Well, that is at least good to hear they get better. I feel bad doing it...but I've been skipping most cutscenes and dialogue....I did get to level 36 before though. Once I get back up around there I'll start paying attention again. Maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom