• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilium

Really enjoy playing again, feels good to be back. Game runs at steady 30fps now on the Dx11 client and looks really nice (I only played on ps3 after ARR launch)
I still have my Lv 50 Scholar on Moogle, but I decided to start fresh on another server because last time I just rushed through the content, skipping cutscenes and quest texts and then I got bored by the same 2 dungeons endgame grind after about 1 month. (I thought I had played for at least half a year, but the game tells me it was only 2 months, lol!)

This time I want to take my time, no need for hurry really.
Decided to play Archer now, are DDs still fucked when it comes to duty finder?
I remember Bard being one of the top tier DDs back then, is this still the case or did they put more emphasis on support abilities?

Yes, story quests get much better in Heavensward. What you're doing doesn't change drastically (kill x, talk to NPC y), but the actual story, cutscenes, characters etc. are way above anything in ARR.

So, is it really 100-ish main quests to reach Heavensward lol?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
So, is it really 100-ish main quests to reach Heavensward lol?
It's exactly 100. There's 346 total quest in ARR, 2.0 credits pop at quest 246. Last chunk of those quests is where the setup for HW begins and the story gets good.

Effect

So I got Heavensward for Christmas. Looks like I finally have a reason to reinstall. I'm guess I had reasons before but this was the push I needed. Sorry WoW. Asking price for Legion was to high this year. Since I'm not getting Final Fantasy XV anytime soon (waiting for PC or hopefully a Switch version) I need the FF fix.

CLBridges

Really enjoy playing again, feels good to be back. Game runs at steady 30fps now on the Dx11 client and looks really nice (I only played on ps3 after ARR launch)
I still have my Lv 50 Scholar on Moogle, but I decided to start fresh on another server because last time I just rushed through the content, skipping cutscenes and quest texts and then I got bored by the same 2 dungeons endgame grind after about 1 month. (I thought I had played for at least half a year, but the game tells me it was only 2 months, lol!)

This time I want to take my time, no need for hurry really.
Decided to play Archer now, are DDs still fucked when it comes to duty finder?
I remember Bard being one of the top tier DDs back then, is this still the case or did they put more emphasis on support abilities?

Doesn't take long for most queues for DPS, usually if you're playing during prime hours for your data center and doing dungeons, roulettes etc, maybe up to 10 minutes or so wait. Tanks are instant and healers usually no more than five minutes. Bard is still good (I mainly play bard to) for all content including end game stuff. You are considered a hybrid DPS of sorts, singing songs to support. But you can do very decent DPS as well.

Tendo

So having just come back to the game and trying to remember how to tank effectively as a dark knight I decided to look at some guides. They are suggesting to only turn on grit when I'm about to get slammed with something heavy? Should I really not be running with grit on in dungeons? I'm 44 btw.

wamberz1

So having just come back to the game and trying to remember how to tank effectively as a dark knight I decided to look at some guides. They are suggesting to only turn on grit when I'm about to get slammed with something heavy? Should I really not be running with grit on in dungeons? I'm 44 btw.

Turning off tank stance when tanking is always stupid except in very specific situations. Always leave it on.
I think turning it off for a dps gain is more of a high end raiding thing.

Tendo

Turning off tank stance when tanking is always stupid except in very specific situations. Always leave it on.
I think turning it off for a dps gain is more of a high end raiding thing.

Ok, that is what I thought. I wanted to make sure I wasn't taking crazy pills for wanting to use my tank buff when... ya know... tanking.

Ok, that is what I thought. I wanted to make sure I wasn't taking crazy pills for wanting to use my tank buff when... ya know... tanking.

You can take off tank stance when you have a signifcant aggro lead so you can deal more damage and use Blood Weapon to get more MP for more damage.

After that only turn on when you need a defensive cooldown (20% is equivalent to Shadowskin but you can just use that too) or if the DPS are catching up to you and you need to solidify your aggro lead again.

Ran rp

I'm still only level 6

Woohoo! It's a Christmas miracle!

After weeks of back and forth, SE sent out a replacement Encyclopedia Eorzea to replace my badly damaged one. Hopefully it's packed decently this time!

So I take it back, they aren't as bad as Digital River!

OrionX

Never thought I'd play a MMO, but I'm really enjoying this game. My main complaint so far is that it's too addicting. XD

Oh and I started over for minor ocd reasons. Still on Ultros, name's Olly Orion now.

wamberz1

Just finished the Level 50 job quest for dark knight.
Holy. Shit.
This has easily been my favorite job quest line so far. Sure it's edgy as hell, but it's still been really cool.

Tendo

You can take off tank stance when you have a signifcant aggro lead so you can deal more damage and use Blood Weapon to get more MP for more damage.

After that only turn on when you need a defensive cooldown (20% is equivalent to Shadowskin but you can just use that too) or if the DPS are catching up to you and you need to solidify your aggro lead again.

So you are saying once I feel comfortable start bouncing between shadowskin + blood weapon and grit?

Is it possible to get on Ultros this time of day? Or should I just give up and wait till early morning?

Hard to say. If you're patient enough to keep hitting that refresh button every couple minutes, you might get in. Or you can save yourself the hassle and just do it first thing in the morning when you're guaranteed to get in.

Boof

Hard to say. If you're patient enough to keep hitting that refresh button every couple minutes, you might get in. Or you can save yourself the hassle and just do it first thing in the morning when you're guaranteed to get in.

Thanks. Is there a significant difference in population between the Ultros server group and the server group that Balmung is on? I heard that is the most populated.

So you are saying once I feel comfortable start bouncing between shadowskin + blood weapon and grit?

I only turn grit back on if I for some reason need the 20% because I used Shadowskin and Shadowwall already and I'm almost dying somehow or for aggro lead like I mentioned.

In normal circumstances your healer will be on top of their game and keep you up with regens/shields even without the constant 20% from grit.

If shit is hitting the fan keep on tank stance to help you survive but if the situation is under control then you can drop grit.

It's really something you have to get a feel for from experience.

suzu

Thanks. Is there a significant difference in population between the Ultros server group and the server group that Balmung is on? I heard that is the most populated.

I think Balmung is like.. closed to new character creation all together? You'd have to do a paid transfer from another server. It's also the unofficial RP server. Gilgamesh is also high pop. Ultros is moderate.

Tendo

I only turn grit back on if I for some reason need the 20% because I used Shadowskin and Shadowwall already and I'm almost dying somehow or for aggro lead like I mentioned.

In normal circumstances your healer will be on top of their game and keep you up with regens/shields even without the constant 20% from grit.

If shit is hitting the fan keep on tank stance to help you survive but if the situation is under control then you can drop grit.

It's really something you have to get a feel for from experience.

Would not have expected this. At all. Thanks for the help!

Pachimari

How can I see how far I am in the MSQ? Is there a list somewhere?

And can I still experience the Lightning event and Sephiroth event?

Redx508

How can I see how far I am in the MSQ? Is there a list somewhere?

And can I still experience the Lightning event and Sephiroth event?

here the quest list
http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Main_Scenario_Quests

And no Lightning is dead you can't meet her anymore. you can look for a video on youtube but you're not missing much. Sephiroth is not in the game its Sephirot http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Sephirot

FF13 is a bad game with good music

Lodestone Party Finder Update

LowParry

These MSQs are killing me. They're so awful.

Talk to this NPC

*talks to NPC*

Talk to this NPC again

*talks to NPC again*

Talk to this NPC...again

*screams internally*

Talk to this NPC one last time

FOR FUCKS SAKE

You have no idea...kupo...

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'm only level 5 on a free trial account and the game seems cool enough, but the issue I was worried I would have does seem to be the case; IE I cannot really get past my distaste for the art style and animations. Even the male characters look like they were mocapped by sorority girls half the time and I find it really off putting. I pretty much immediately deleted the elf-looking dude I made after realizing that his default stance was "sassy diva on the runway",

Ken

I'm only level 5 on a free trial account and the game seems cool enough, but the issue I was worried I would have does seem to be the case; IE I cannot really get past my distaste for the art style and animations. Even the male characters look like they were mocapped by sorority girls half the time and I find it really off putting. I pretty much immediately deleted the elf-looking dude I made after realizing that his default stance was "sassy diva on the runway",

An old man mocapped everyone.

wamberz1

If you think Elezen are bad when it comes to male-model poses wait until your see Au Ra. Their walking animation is quite someting.
Roll Roe bro
Roll Best bro

Hi there, I'm new to the game, and right now updates are installing (on PS4)

I wanted to play mainly because of all the good things I heard about the game plus it is solo-friebdly

Also even if I have an American account I live in Europe, do I try to create an account on ultros to play with fellow gaffers or do I get a European server ? Thanks !

Hi there, I'm new to the game, and right now updates are installing (on PS4)

I wanted to play mainly because of all the good things I heard about the game plus it is solo-friebdly

Also even if I have an American account I live in Europe, do I try to create an account on ultros to play with fellow gaffers or do I get a European server ? Thanks !
EU servers will give you better latency and for some jobs that can be a gamechanger.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Holy Shit why in the blue fuck is there a level 50 Mamool Ja (guessing that name lol, those lol zard beastmen) hanging out in Middle LA Noscea?

I'm just leveling up, turn, BAM 1 Shotted as low level, switch to my level 54+ WAR, motherfucker has more Health than fucking Omega Weapon and he packs a wallop, died again...

The fuck is this monstrosity doing there!

Pejo

So I saw that RDM was just announced not that long ago. Might re-up my subscription to check it out. Last I played, I bought Heavensward, but then realized you had to finish the standard story to even access Heavensward content (I wanted to try DRK) and quickly un-subbed again.

Is Balmung still kicking? That's the server I had my characters on, and it was pretty populated at that time, but a lot of it was RPers which I'm indifferent about.

I just hope there's some of my old friends still playing, so I can just bumrush through story content and new dungeons etc.

Also, how hard is it now to get geared at least high enough to run the latest dungeon finder stuff? I didn't have any notable crafts beyond I think clothcraft or alchemy or something.

Holy Shit why in the blue fuck is there a level 50 Mamool Ja (guessing that name lol, those lol zard beastmen) hanging out in Middle LA Noscea?

I'm just leveling up, turn, BAM 1 Shotted as low level, switch to my level 54+ WAR, motherfucker has more Health than fucking Omega Weapon and he packs a wallop, died again...

It's a notorious monster for hunts, you're supposed to do these in a party if you're not overleveled lol

That would be an elite mark for a hunt. You're not supposed to be able to beat it solo.

GraveRobberX

Thnx for the replies, figured it was something Hunt related, but come on placing that fucker right in smack dab in the middle of noobie zone

That Gobbue was like Damn, the Light Warrior got it's shit knocked out if him, I'm out!

Squishy3

Thnx for the replies, figured it was something Hunt related, but come on placing that fucker right in smack dab in the middle of noobie zone

That Gobbue was like Damn, the Light Warrior got it's shit knocked out if him, I'm out!
Each zone just has hunt marks, they have a bunch of spawn locations throughout the zone, this time it just happened to be on your quest objective. Generally if you throw out a /shout or repeat it in your Free Company if you're not part of a hunting linkshell people will show up to help come kill it.

GraveRobberX

Can someone explain to me PotD, weapon acquiring

I know how to PotD up to Floor 50
If I reset both saves, I lose my stats and xp level of class, but I keep my Aetherpool enhancements

So I'm +46 in Arm, +24 Armor
I'm guessing I'm way to high to net myself the power to level up those on lower floors

I talked the NPC to trade in for a weapon, she states I need +30 in both categories... OK
Once I do trade in, guessing I'll take -30 hit on Arms and Armor at the same time?

That means I can go back to lower floors and build up again
Thing is why do we have 2 aetherpools though?

So to get the Kinna Weapon, do I need to buy the +30 weapon with +30 arms and +30 armor, then work it back to +60 on both Arms and Armor?
Can I just save to +60 and bypass the +30 weapon
So roughly if this is SE logic, you really need to be +90 in Arms and Armor to net yourself 225 Weapon

Squishy3

Okay, so the way it works is you can save up to +30/+30 and buy a 235 padjali weapon, or save up to +60/+60 and get a 255 weapon right away. If getting the 235 weapon, you then only need to trade the weapon and another +30/+30 armor to get the 255 kinna weapon of the type you already have. These are weapons for level 60 characters outside of Palace of the Dead by the way, if you want to continue in Palace of the Dead you shouldn't trade your aetherpool stats in for a weapon yet.

Either way, you're spending +30/+30 no matter which method you employ. Getting the 235 weapon might provide more of a short term bonus, as you currently only need item level 210 to complete all the MSQ content (and all available side dungeons) which will unlock Expert and Level 60 roulette, which provide the most amount of tomestones to buy item level 260 (on a weekly lockout of 450 tomestones a week) and item level 230 armor. (uncapped)

GraveRobberX

Thanks Squishy
Is reaching Floor 200 feasable with a match made group?

I'm guessing the Aether Arms and Armor +## matters on the higher floors

Almost a 2:1 ratio on Arms to Armor
+51 on Arms and +27 on Armor
Want to reach the final floor

I mean in the long run I need it to get to 60 WAR
Just wondering if I need to grind lower levels of PotD until Armor is up to snuff the higher levels

aceface

Just be a lalafell. Problem solved!

Graverobber: you can only challenge floor 100+ with a pre made party.
You don't generally have to grind aetherpool weapon stats to get to floor 200. Just doing it once you'll be close to +99/+99 by the time you get to the 180s. Please note that if your party dies anytime from floor 100-200 you have to restart from floor 50 again. Not that that's ever happened to me...(damn chimeras)

I just reached Matoya's Cave.

wow. That music brings me back. It's so beautiful. One of the best tracks I've heard so far in the game.

kinda disappointed that the little brooms were not speaking backwards though, haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom