• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zuly

Should I work on an extra job while I level up? Or just focus on the MSQ?

For now, I would focus on getting your main class/sub class to the levels needed to get your job stone. If you have that, you can also opt to get other classes leveled for the cross-class abilities that your main job would benefit from. Other than that, focus on the MSQs. The game really encourages trying out other classes. It really depends how much in a hurry you are to reach the current story content.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Finally reached 101 for the first time. Is there a guide anywhere for what bosses to expect from this point on?
This reddit thread was enough for me, though I didn't get that far. A very important thing to remember is that past a certain floor (170/180, I think), regular enemies will start casting Doom afaik, so have your stuns/silences ready.

Wow. The Encyclopedia Eorzea book seriously has me considering jumping back into this game.

Got it on a whim for Christmas because I'm a sucker for lore books, and there is a LOT of good stuff in here. I gave up on the game after putting about 20 hours into it - the boring fetch quests and unexciting dialogue just weren't doing it for me.

But after having countless people telling me to stick with it, and how good the story gets, and how deep some of this lore goes...man. I feel like I would really be doing myself a disservice by skipping out.

Once I beat XV, I'm going to resubscribe.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Wow. The Encyclopedia Eorzea book seriously has me considering jumping back into this game.

Got it on a whim for Christmas because I'm a sucker for lore books, and there is a LOT of good stuff in here. I gave up on the game after putting about 20 hours into it - the boring fetch quests and unexciting dialogue just weren't doing it for me.

But after having countless people telling me to stick with it, and how good the story gets, and how deep some of this lore goes...man. I feel like I would really be doing myself a disservice by skipping out.

Once I beat XV, I'm going to resubscribe.
The game is indeed slow as fuck early on, but gets better starting at around level 40. Then it really hits its stride in Heavensward.

Zuly

For those familiar with Guildworks, anyone have issues with it not updating? I tried re-editing my character (entering a new code) and forcing an update but the feed hasn't updated in 19 days. Should I just completely remove my character and add it again?

Also if I want to join GAF FC do I have to go through the formal approval process with GW or can I just afk dance on your yard as a sign of devotion?

I am seriously considering leaving my FC.

I'm a lvl 27 archer but I want to level up pugilist, do I just do the random side quests around the continent?

The more efficient methods will be to do the following:

- Hunt log entries for pugilist
- Palace of the Dead
- Dungeons, with an emphasis on doing your daily leveling roulette for extra EXP

EDIT: Oh yeah, if it's just for Bard, then yeah, I second Reknoc below. Kill some things, do a few sidequests if there are any, some leves, hunting logs etc. and you should quickly get up there.

IvorB

bUUpvxd.jpg

Ha ha. Yeah this sh*t too.

Baleoce

Does anyone else use Steam Controller with FFXIV? This used to work for me back when I played it in early 3.0, although it was slightly temperamental, and sometimes you needed to do weird things like log into Steam as admin or enable beta. But snap to now and it's just flat out not working for me.. no idea why. The XInput template has been set, and it can see an XInput device as well. it's been given a standardised XInput control scheme albeit with a couple of little tweaks. And nothing.. It's still acting as if it was using the desktop default Steam Controller profile when I'm ingame. Tried fullscreen instead of borderless windowed. Nothing.

Zomba13

Does anyone else use Steam Controller with FFXIV? This used to work for me back when I played it in early 3.0, although it was slightly temperamental, and sometimes you needed to do weird things like log into Steam as admin or enable beta. But snap to now and it's just flat out not working for me.. no idea why. The XInput template has been set, and it can see an XInput device as well. it's been given a standardised XInput control scheme albeit with a couple of little tweaks. And nothing.. It's still acting as if it was using the desktop default Steam Controller profile when I'm ingame. Tried fullscreen instead of borderless windowed. Nothing.

Check in the settings menu (I dunno if it's the settings or character settings) and check the controller and make sure FFXIV is set to use the controller and if it is go through the button binding process again (in game I mean). There was a time when my PS4 controller via DS4Windows kept messing up and FFXIV wouldn't pick it up right until I went into the settings and rebound the buttons (even though FFXIV still saw it as a 360 controller).

bgbball31

Welp, went ahead and bought it. Have a level 9 female Duskwood (?) elf Thurmager (?) names Lynara Aeger that I want to make into a Summoner. And I got her onto Ultros, submitting my Free Company application a while ago.

I can see why people are complaining about the quests. A lot of running around. I do like how many aether points there are to teleport to though, as that mitigates some of it.

Any early game tips?

Baleoce

Check in the settings menu (I dunno if it's the settings or character settings) and check the controller and make sure FFXIV is set to use the controller and if it is go through the button binding process again (in game I mean). There was a time when my PS4 controller via DS4Windows kept messing up and FFXIV wouldn't pick it up right until I went into the settings and rebound the buttons (even though FFXIV still saw it as a 360 controller).

That isn't the issue unfortunately. It's something fiddly to do with the Steam Controller itself (or rather the way the game client recognises it). I can use controllers in general just fine with it. DS4 works fine. Any traditional DInput or XInput controller is recognised easily. With the Steam controller, I load a profile beforehand, and load the game, I see it recognises it as an XInput device in-game. And yet, it never actually hooks onto it, almost as if it's staying on the desktop steam controller profile for no reason. Really tedious tbh. Thanks for replying though!

Welp, went ahead and bought it. Have a level 9 female Duskwood (?) elf Thurmager (?) names Lynara Aeger that I want to make into a Summoner. And I got her onto Ultros, submitting my Free Company application a while ago.

I can see why people are complaining about the quests. A lot of running around. I do like how many aether points there are to teleport to though, as that mitigates some of it.

Any early game tips?

Switch to Lalafell. :^)

Not many tips really. Just enjoy the game... it's pretty straight forward!

Robin64

For the first time ever since I started playing FFXIV I am caught up with the story. Was pretty funny having to do Titan (Hard) at such a late stage, I was like.. wut. But then the fight against
the Warriors of Darkness
was just awesome, and everything that happened after that. 3.5, please!

bgbball31

As I want to head straight into summoner, any reason not to just dump all of my attribute points into int? From the (light) reading I've done, it seems to be the best thing to do?

Efit: Also, I lied, I'm an Arcanist, not a Thaumaturge.

As I want to head straight into summoner, any reason not to just dump all of my attribute points into int? From the (light) reading I've done, it seems to be the best thing to do?

For leveling it exclusively through Scholar and picking up the particulars of Summoner once you're already 60, because Scholar queues are shorter :^)

suzu

Yeah, put it all in INT if you're going Summoner. You can change attributes later with an item if you wish.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I'm up to MSQ #253

Make this running around stop!
So annoying the same NPC makes you travel 4 different places and then tells you to go back to original place

Just beat Shiva, fun fight, awesome music!

MrDaravon

I got used to it. Default settings are a bit of a mess. Think I zoomed it out a bit, reduced the font size, and increased the map window.

You can make the window for it and the chat bigger by using the mouse cursor via the touchpad (crappy method) or the virtual mouse (good method/ L1+R3).

Late response but thank you so much for this, making the font smaller helped but finally figuring out how to move the map window and also make it bigger was fantastic. I still feel like it doesn't handle map zones/transitions that well but I'm sure that's something you (at least mostly) get used to. Thanks again!

Quit just before my first guildhest. I finally can hop around between jobs and I'm LOVING it.
Manning Arcadia for Scholar still but doing culinarian, fisherman, and marauder whenever I want as well is too much fun.

MrDaravon

Man, getting FC invites nonstop in Gridania, just seeing folks running around and going up to all of the novice adventurer (?) characters like me lol.

On Gilgamesh I don't really get FC invites. But there are a lot of people like me so it's probably not unusual. I see a fair amount of people with like full sets of new raid gear + weapon without a FC.

eliza0224

For now, I would focus on getting your main class/sub class to the levels needed to get your job stone. If you have that, you can also opt to get other classes leveled for the cross-class abilities that your main job would benefit from. Other than that, focus on the MSQs. The game really encourages trying out other classes. It really depends how much in a hurry you are to reach the current story content.
Thanks! Been sticking to that 😁

I haven't seen anyone from GAF yet, so I haven't been able to send my application. I did it on Guildworks already at least!

MrDaravon

Just hit level 10 and am getting attribute points, how worried/paranoid do I need to be about messing this up, or is not a big deal? You get these per class right? If I'm an Archer should I just be dumping the attribute points I'm getting with this class into dex or is it better to spread them out? Most questions I've had so far I've been able to figure out or google, but oddly not getting much on this one.

So thanks to that $10 HW deal posted a few days ago, I decided to plunge right back into FFXIV after a THREE YEAR hiatus ahah

what should a fresh 50 from 2.0 days do for decent armor? I already did my class quests (three years ago) and cant get fancy easy peasy ilevel 90 armor. Also, Im a Paladin so it sucks trying to think of running a dungeon with no gear and being so rusty with my skills...any good thoughts on how I can ease my way back into it? Basically re-teaching myself my class, getting back into the swing of things, all at the same time working towards getting armor that will push me through the story content to HW. I am literally right at "Rock the Castrum" which is still 2.0 level stuff (hey, life happened and I had to stop playing ahah).. so I know I got a long way top go...

Appreciate any help, and if anyone wants to carry me through everything, let me know what realm to transfer to. (seriously, it's been so long, Im lost, lonely, and confused) lol

So thanks to that $10 HW deal posted a few days ago, I decided to plunge right back into FFXIV after a THREE YEAR hiatus ahah

what should a fresh 50 from 2.0 days do for decent armor? I already did my class quests (three years ago) and cant get fancy easy peasy ilevel 90 armor. Also, Im a Paladin so it sucks trying to think of running a dungeon with no gear and being so rusty with my skills...any good thoughts on how I can ease my way back into it? Basically re-teaching myself my class, getting back into the swing of things, all at the same time working towards getting armor that will push me through the story content to HW. I am literally right at "Rock the Castrum" which is still 2.0 level stuff (hey, life happened and I had to stop playing ahah).. so I know I got a long way top go...

Appreciate any help, and if anyone wants to carry me through everything, let me know what realm to transfer to. (seriously, it's been so long, Im lost, lonely, and confused) lol

The 2.x quests will currently give you the equipment you need to be prepared for Heavensward, so there's nothing you need to do beyond continuing through the main story quests.

SkyOdin

Just hit level 10 and am getting attribute points, how worried/paranoid do I need to be about messing this up, or is not a big deal? You get these per class right? If I'm an Archer should I just be dumping the attribute points I'm getting with this class into dex or is it better to spread them out? Most questions I've had so far I've been able to figure out or google, but oddly not getting much on this one.
Jusr dump them all into your class's key stat: Dex in Archer's case. The stat points are not very important compared to equipment, so it is hard to mess up. The points are also on a per class basis, so you don't have to worry about the future unless you are leveling Arcanist (still not a big deal even then).

The 2.x quests will currently give you the equipment you need to be prepared for Heavensward, so there's nothing you need to do beyond continuing through the main story quests.

Really appreciate the tips. So running cm in my crappy class gear (from 2.0 days) will get me through that just fine? Guess I'm worried about being so under armored as a tank in an 8 man dungeon (to which I'm assuming people can go through blindfold by now)

suzu

Really appreciate the tips. So running cm in my crappy class gear (from 2.0 days) will get me through that just fine? Guess I'm worried about being so under armored as a tank in an 8 man dungeon (to which I'm assuming people can go through blindfold by now)

It's fine. You'll get people skipping cutscenes and running ahead though. If you care about watching those, either do the dungeon with friends or watch the CS later at an inn. Fortunately, this only really happens in Castrum and Praetorium.. SE wised up for latter story dungeons.

Your main worry about that dungeon isn't whether you're undergeared, but whether everyone else will have finished it by the time you're still watching the first cutscene. The design of the Castrum, with many substantial cutscenes scattered throughout the dungeon, is quite possibly the worst thing in the entire game, something which thankfully has not since been repeated but which you still have to deal with at this point. If you use Duty Finder, no one will wait for you to watch the cutscenes. So either you'll need to skip all the cutscenes so you can stay with the group and just watch them later at an inn, or if you want to watch the cutscenes in context you should find 7 others through Party Finder or a Free Company and make sure up front they're willing to wait for you.

Xevren

It's fine. You'll get people skipping cutscenes and running ahead though. If you care about watching those, either do the dungeon with friends or watch the CS later at an inn. Fortunately, this only really happens in Castrum and Praetorium.. SE wised up for latter story dungeons.

Are all the cutscenes viewable in the inn? Didn't know if it was just a couple and im getting to the point of those parts and was curious.

BHK3

Banned
It's not region locking, you can play on any server. The difference is that different servers are located physically in different places around the world, so you will have lag the further you are from the server you play on.
But I just got told that me being NA I can't play with my EU friend because I have to be on his datacenter. But once I'm in his datacenter I'm locked in and can't go back without paying a fee.
1. U can switch servers for $15 or something
2. Idk depends on how far you are to EU servers
3. If you want to play with him you must play on the same Data Center with him. This way matchmaking has a chance to put you two together. If you want to meet up with him in the world and have an easier time doing content together you should play on his server.

Lag will be the same since you're all connecting to the same place if you're on the same data center (which you have to be to play with him).

January will introduce cross server party finder so you can play with each other that way if you don't want to be on the same server.

So those 100 quests before Heavensward give out EXP right?

So it probably makes sense to get the expansion first to unlock my level cap right? So to not waste those EXP...

Ken

But I just got told that me being NA I can't play with my EU friend because I have to be on his datacenter. But once I'm in his datacenter I'm locked in and can't go back without paying a fee.

NA can roll on EU server.

When you make a character you choose what data center to put it on. Your account isn't tied to a data center.

suzu

Are all the cutscenes viewable in the inn? Didn't know if it was just a couple and im getting to the point of those parts and was curious.

I'm pretty sure all the main story quests' cutscenes are available at an inn. Maybe some of the scenes are under random categories. I haven't spent much time looking through it.

So those 100 quests before Heavensward give out EXP right?

So it probably makes sense to get the expansion first to unlock my level cap right? So to not waste those EXP...

If you're that close, go ahead and register HW. Just don't watch the new opening movie until you're actually heading there. lol :p

Appreciate that info guys. I can live with rewatching cutscenes. I just don't wanna be the guy flailing around relearning my pally and ruining it for the party. Ahah

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So I just unlocked levequests... I guess their primary purpose is supplemental XP to level new jobs?

Ken

So I just unlocked levequests... I guess their primary purpose is supplemental XP to level new jobs?

Sure. There's usually one per set of 10 levels you can abuse for easy exp while waiting for queues.

There's also crafter and gather leve quests.

I'm pretty sure all the main story quests' cutscenes are available at an inn. Maybe some of the scenes are under random categories. I haven't spent much time looking through it.

If you're that close, go ahead and register HW. Just don't watch the new opening movie until you're actually heading there. lol :p

I'm not too strict with spoilers ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom