• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rynam

Do people still run old Raids like Crystal Tower? Never finished it because i never found a group before i quit a time ago. Want to pick the game back up again and finish everything before Stormblood.

Do people still run old Raids like Crystal Tower? Never finished it because i never found a group before i quit a time ago. Want to pick the game back up again and finish everything before Stormblood.

Yeah, I haven't had any problems doing those raids, and they always go by quick.

It's the fucking Coils that I can't find anyone for. *fumes*

Arkeband

Banned
Maybe BLU tank unlocks moves the more damage it takes during a fight. Or it has a taunt/preparation move that when used unlocks the next tier of special abilities if you are hit.

I don't know.

This seems extra complicated for FFXIV - we thought that Dark Knight would be really unique and have mechanics based on HP, but they went the easy route and just made use of MP instead. I almost don't want to believe BLU will be anything other than a DPS, which makes it a long shot for this expansion since we're led to believe they're still going for one of each.

Puppetmaster could be a tank, and that would make sense since they're also adding in (rudimentary) glamour options for pet classes in 3.5.

Samurai could be a tank too but I'd think they'd want to diversify weapon types among new jobs - they already used up a sword slot. By this logic, BLU has less of a chance too since it uses swords too (curved. swords. iirc)

Does this have PvP?

Yes, but it's super vacant. I haven't been able to find a PVP battleground-type match in a long time, usually it takes well over an hour if it finds a match at all.

Robin64

The Post-Moogle stuff was a fun and relaxing diversion, but it's a shame they stopped doing them after 2.55. :\

C03CDrQXEAIpca4.jpg

Renewed

Giving the free trial a shot and so far I'm enjoying this. Lancer and messing about, gonna try some more before the sales expire.

Pachimari

Tanaka picked Pokemon GO as his game of the year.

YoshiP picked Overwatch lol

Those are some good picks. They are in my top 3 as well.

Definitely do blue mark quests - you can use the feature unlock guide which has been posted multiple times in the last few pages to make it easier.

You don't really have to touch levequests unless you want some experience and your gaming session is too short for a set of PotD floors/a full dungeon run.

I take it this is the one you're referring to.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Yes, but it's super vacant. I haven't been able to find a PVP battleground-type match in a long time, usually it takes well over an hour if it finds a match at all.

When they remove the grand company restrictions in a few weeks queue times should be much shorter.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Finally finished the ARR storyline

Just as I start 3.0, fucking Electric Fire outside and destroys the whole block
Now no electricity in the house

Rubber burnt smoke smell permeates throughout the whole house
Ugh!

The ending to 2.0 was meh, nothing amazing to make you going into 3.0
At least the intro to 3.0 was sounding good.

How long does it take to finish the MSQ for 3.0?

Here's what I want to do
Finish MSQ for 3.0 storyline "catch up"
Get the new classes at least to 15+
Reach WAR 60 (@55), maybe PLD and BLM to 60 too
Try to get at least ilvl 255+ on tank classes, ilvl 200 on Casters/DPS
Try Alexander raids
Finish Coil at least once!

Do it under 25 days?... Feasible yes or no?

Heartfyre

Pretty sure I did a quest called "Give it to me raw" yesterday...

...my purchase is now justified. lol

Have been levelling up my WHM recently, and there was a quest where, as frequently happens, you're clearing corruption from a tree to keep the forest happy. The quest was named "Only You Can Prevent Forest Ire".

The localisation team's pun game is astoundingly consistent.

Arkeband

Banned

Ugh!

Here's what I want to do
Try Alexander raids

New classes start at 30 and have no cross class skills, so you can cross that off your list.
Depending on how no-lifey these 25 days are you could do most of that list.

This seems extra complicated for FFXIV - we thought that Dark Knight would be really unique and have mechanics based on HP, but they went the easy route and just made use of MP instead. I almost don't want to believe BLU will be anything other than a DPS, which makes it a long shot for this expansion since we're led to believe they're still going for one of each.

Puppetmaster could be a tank, and that would make sense since they're also adding in (rudimentary) glamour options for pet classes in 3.5.

Samurai could be a tank too but I'd think they'd want to diversify weapon types among new jobs - they already used up a sword slot. By this logic, BLU has less of a chance too since it uses swords too (curved. swords. iirc)

I was actually thinking that maybe the next tank (if there is one) would do blunt damage so maybe they could synergize with Monk since that is the title class of the expansion.

But yeah, whatever crazy mechanics we can think of will probably not be close to what they end up doing.

Arkeband

Banned
I was actually thinking that maybe the next tank (if there is one) would do blunt damage so maybe they could synergize with Monk since that is the title class of the expansion.

But yeah, whatever crazy mechanics we can think of will probably not be close to what they end up doing.

There's still a ton of missing weapon types, chief amongst them would be hammers, so if they are still going for three jobs this expansion, another blunt damage type would make a lot of sense.

Pachimari

Just tried out Palace of the Dead for the first time and got to floor 20, and damn is it nice. It gives me a good idea of what to expect from the skillset later on.

Also unlocked apartments, challenge log and other stuff. I just need 3 more levels to get my pugilist to lvl 15.

wamberz1

Ugh!

Here's what I want to do
Try Alexander raids

that's all feasible yeah... except for coil. Nobody really runs those anymore, so you would have to find a group to do them with.
Alexander normal queue times aren't that bad, but feel free to hit up the FC chat if you need help, some people will probably help you out
for that sweet sweet bonus
Also keep in mind that Alex normal is way easier than coil synced (from what I've heard) so I would focus on completing that when you hit endgame. You also need to beat the final floor to start collecting alexandrian gears every week.

iammeiam

Try Alexander raids

The actual MSQ stuff will depend on how much you play, but the patch content in general is pretty short and the road to 60 was designed to originally take a couple weeks of leisurely play. They've boosted dungeon exp and you're high enough level you'll probably hit 60 naturally so can skip the grindier spots and side quests and just stick to story.

TBH if you're prioritizing WAR, you can actually be pretty safe picking up some crafted gear pieces for an iLevel shortcut. The 3.0 story is going to leave you at around i145-i150, and you can either slowly work your way up step by step or just buy a couple of big i250 pieces for a massive iLevel boost to shortcut some of the tome grinding.

The crafted i250 tank chest is also flat-out better than the unupgraded tank Scripture chest, so it's generally a smart buy until either Void Ark 3 comes out with a good 260 chest or you're clearing A11S for twine/A12S for the 270 tank chest.

Getting Alex Normal down should be pretty quick, although DF for some of the floors in prior tiers can take forever. Drop yourself in PF and advertise you've got bonus/second chance points and you'll probably get a group quicker.

Finishing Coil kind of depends on how you want to do it; getting a group to run synched will be trickier than finding an unsynced group that will just steamroller everything. You can undersize anything--1-7 and 11-13 are fairly straightforward to two-man with decent gear tank/healer; 8 needs at least 3 people, 9 needs 4 due to one-shot mechanics. 10 is probably 3 or 4 people because of wild charge/vuln, but I'm not sure specifically.

If you take 8 level 60s into any of those fights they basically just explode while you look at them though. You'll miss the actual fight, but get to see the cutscenes/complete stuff.

Kyoufu

Leveling NIN turned out to be a mistake. There's no fucking way I'm going to learn the rotation. At least, not on a controller. Way too many buttons to push, too many combos to memorise as well as ninjutsu to memorise on top of it.

There are just so many skills. How does anyone play like this?

Leveling NIN turned out to be a mistake. There's no fucking way I'm going to learn the rotation. At least, not on a controller. Way too many buttons to push, too many combos to memorise as well as ninjutsu to memorise on top of it.

NIN is fine on controller. Opening combo is really fun to do on it.

SkyOdin

I'm not sure what to say. Ninja isn't particularly more complicated than any other DPS job in the game. All I can suggest is to try and adjust your hotbar so it is more comfortable for you and to practice.

drac96

I was super excited to get my Chocobo and run super fast. I guess the speed is an illusion when they run by you, because it's slightly faster than sprinting haha.

That's disappointing, but I'm very glad to not wait for the sprint cooldown anymore. As far as I can tell all mounts have the same speed, is that the case?

Ken

it's not that bad and the only decision making you really have to make is your finisher in the 3step combo which comes down to:

huton less than 40s and you have flank = armor crush
slash debuff is up and you have the rear = aeolian edge
slash debuff is off or you cant get positional = dancing edge

it also doesn't get anything complicated in heavensward

just stick with it and it'll become muscle memory

or give up and play a paladin

wamberz1

Question, as I currently have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to materia.
Right now I have a few heavens eye 5 and a dex 5 materia I got in POTD. I was wondering what I should do with these, and other materia....
Should I attach it to a piece of my gear? Something I won't throw away quickly like my brand new scripture coat, or kinna weapon?
Or should I wait until I get better gear?
Should I not bother and sell it?
Playing MCH.

Right now I have a few heavens eye 5 and a dex 5 materia I got in POTD. I was wondering what I should do with these, and other materia....
Should I attach it to a piece of my gear? Something I won't throw away quickly like my brand new scripture coat, or kinna weapon?
Playing MCH.
Dex 5 materia is useless. Unless you're filthy rich, only use rank 5 materia on ilvl 270 gear.

garath

Playing MCH.

Sell them all IMO. It's how I went from 200k to 1.1 mil in the last few weeks of casual play

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I saw some falaffels dancing in a cutscene and it took all of my restraint to not light my computer on fire

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
why on earth do they have them at the gold saucer

they literally have the bodies of human infants

that isn't for sexy time clothes

Am I crazy or isn't there some way to quickly check the market board prices for items you have in your inventory. I could swear the contextual button (square) had in its menu "check MB for item" or something like that, but it's not there right now. I have equipment in my arsenal I would like to sell for cash.

MrDaravon

I just hit level 13 and the freebie gear I'm getting from quests is really starting to not cut it; at this point what's my best option for gear, just regular vendors? Is there any low-level stuff like this on the Market Board (?), or is there a crafting thing I'm missing or anything like that at this point?

Edit: What on earth is the difference between Battle and Field gear? lol

suzu

I just hit level 13 and the freebie gear I'm getting from quests is really starting to not cut it; at this point what's my best option for gear, just regular vendors? Is there any low-level stuff like this on the Market Board (?), or is there a crafting thing I'm missing or anything like that at this point?

Suffer looking like a mismatched noob until level 15, then go check out Hall of the Novice (sprout quest icon) at any city's adventurers' guild for a nice set of gear. You'll also be able to run your first dungeon at that point too, if you've been keeping up with the MSQ.

Field gear is for the gathering/crafting classes.

Field gear is for gathering classes

Wait till you hit level 15 then do your role's tutorials at the Novice Hall, this will give you a full set of unique gear that will last till level 25ish

Anoregon

Here's another probably dumb question: Is there anything preventing me from, say, doing a chunk of level 20ish levequests then switching to like a level 5 job when i turn them in and thus getting a big xp boost on that job? I am assuming it doesn't work that way.

aceface

Am I crazy or isn't there some way to quickly check the market board prices for items you have in your inventory. I could swear the contextual button (square) had in its menu "check MB for item" or something like that, but it's not there right now. I have equipment in my arsenal I would like to sell for cash.

No, there's no button like that. To see how much stuff sells for you either have to go to a market board or go to a summoning bell to call your retainer, post an item for sale, and click the little button to see how much stuff sells for.

Pachimari

Here's another probably dumb question: Is there anything preventing me from, say, doing a chunk of level 20ish levequests then switching to like a level 5 job when i turn them in and thus getting a big xp boost on that job? I am assuming it doesn't work that way.
No. There's often a level requirement for getting the exp.

IIRC nothing preventing it per se but if you change jobs before turning them in you'll get a big loss on the rewards.

I tried this yesterday with a MSQ to try and quickly level a crafting class, haha.
MSQ was level 15, crafting class was 7 and it said it needed to be at least level 10 on my current class to turn it in.
So I'd guess it's possible as long as your within 5 levels of the quest?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Kind of a weird question, but I randomly tried to update my client to prepare for buying Heavensward, and it actually let me log in and play even though I'm not subscribed. Even checking mogstation shows I'm inactive. Is there a free week going on?

Squishy3

Kind of a weird question, but I randomly tried to update my client to prepare for buying Heavensward, and it actually let me log in and play even though I'm not subscribed. Even checking mogstation shows I'm inactive. Is there a free week going on?
there's a free login campaign for inactive accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom