• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkeband

Banned
Hit 26 with Lancer.

So now I basically just do Heavy Thrust -> 1 -> 2 -> 3?

Right, it will eventually turn into Heavy Thrust -> 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> Phlebotomize (DOT) - 4 -> 5 -> 6, where 4 5 6 are Impulse Drive, Disembowl, Chaos Thrust.

Except you'll actually want to switch those around so you turn your second combo into your first, since it applies debuffs.

wamberz1

bb6in5X.png

Okay which one of you is this

Credits for Heavensward rolling. So much better than the base game. I have very high expectations for Stormblood, especially considering its higher budget and the ditching of PS3 support.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Trying to decide on a melee char to try. Lancer (and potentially Dragoon) seems pretty cool, but so does pugilist/monk.

MrDaravon

How long do people think square will support XIV with updates before moving on to the next FF MMO?

I would imagine several years at least? Final Fantasy XI came out in 2002 and got it's final story expansion last year in 2015....so yeah lol. I mean that's not necessarily indicative of anything, but in passing FFXIV seems to be doing pretty solid for them, and dropping PS3 support (which is kind of crazy the game had in the first place to be honest) should probably give them them a lot more leeway for updates.

No online game/MMO lasts forever, but I would expect at least a few years bare minimum of more updates for the game.

garath

Yay. Just hit 49 on my warrior. Time to finish up ARR.

I had a setback when I decided to switch from ninja to warrior when my ninja was 43. Took a little bit of PotD and daily roulette grinding to catch up.

My next quest is a trial? That different than a normal duty finder dungeon? This the stretch where I'm best off skipping cutscenes and watching later?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Yay. Just hit 49 on my warrior. Time to finish up ARR.

I had a setback when I decided to switch from ninja to warrior when my ninja was 43. Took a little bit of PotD and daily roulette grinding to catch up.

My next quest is a trial? That different than a normal duty finder dungeon? This the stretch where I'm best off skipping cutscenes and watching later?

A trial is an instance like any other, but the contents are only one boss.
The skipping cutscenes thing is about level 50 8-man dungeons Castrum Meridianum and the Praetorium.

Speaking of which during Tokyo fanfest Yoshi mulled over the idea of locking players so that newbies can watch cutscenes but increasing tomestone payout as a reward (since it will effectively double the run time of the dungeon). What a time to be alive.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I can't play right now, getting an update is required message after logging in. Anyone else?

edit: nm, reboot fixed it.

eliza0224

Did Sastacha today with randoms, went well. I couldn't get anything from the treasure chests though, everytime I got to them they were already empty :( that left me a bit bummed.

I had set up the duty finder search, did I have to set loot rules?

wamberz1

Did Sastacha today with randoms, went well. I couldn't get anything from the treasure chests though, everytime I got to them they were already empty :( that left me a bit bummed.

I had set up the duty finder search, did I have to set loot rules?

When someone opens a chest, a little alert should pop up in the bottom right corner. Click it and it will open up the loot menu, where you can need/greed/pass.

suzu

^To add to the post above: Loot like potions and materials are auto-distributed into a random party member's inventory. After loot is distributed or rolled on, it will show the results in the chatlog.

jb1234

Hey folks, figured I'd join the thread. :) Started playing ARR a few weeks ago and have made it up to level 20 as a Gladiator. It started out really slowly with pretty dull fetch quests but the art design and music have won me over. That and the story is finally starting to pick up, haha.

Are there any good videos that explain the story of XI, in a way that is captivating to listen to, similar to those Dark Souls lore videos? I'm never going to play the game, but I'd very much want to experience its story in some way.

monochr0m3

Neo Member
Hey folks, figured I'd join the thread. :) Started playing ARR a few weeks ago and have made it up to level 20 as a Gladiator. It started out really slowly with pretty dull fetch quests but the art design and music have won me over. That and the story is finally starting to pick up, haha.

Welcome!
Yeah, early ARR is kinda boring with lots of fetch quests. For me, the story starts to pick-up around level 30s and from there it's full speed ahead.
Although at around level 20 you'll get your first trial fight which is pretty awesome visually.

OrionX

I got to my first main quest that required the duty finder, then gave up after waiting about 10 minutes for a match, lol. I guess it's typical for it to take a while?

jb1234

Welcome!
Yeah, early ARR is kinda boring with lots of fetch quests. For me, the story starts to pick-up around level 30s and from there it's full speed ahead.
Although at around level 20 you'll get your first trial fight which is pretty awesome visually.

Haha, yeah, I did that fight last night. It was kinda easy but definitely visually striking.

Qvoth

Well another night of nothing but A9s wipes maybe next week!

the thing about this game is always to catch up to the latest content asap to be on the same starting line for the upcoming patch
once you were late from the "train" you'll have a harder time catching up, because by then most players will not be on practice mode anymore, unless it's a really hard content (for this patch, that's a11s)

Pachimari

I wonder if we'll get to see anything at the 30th anniversary next month. Probably not.

Ahh, today's goal is to level my pugilist to lvl 15 and to unlock some of all that content from the side quests I still haven't unlocked. Might also do the next MSQ dungeon.

Trying to decide on a melee char to try. Lancer (and potentially Dragoon) seems pretty cool, but so does pugilist/monk.

Try Lancer first. To become a Dragoon, you need to get Puigilist up to level 15, so you'll be able to experience both classes and help yourself to Dragoon if you end up not liking PUG.

The Singularity Reactor (translation). I have now started the patches leading to Stormblood.

Ok then.

I just thought it was kind of funny how you were already talking about Stormblood when you haven't completed the
second half
of Heavensward yet.

Let us know what you think once you have concluded the Heavensward storyline. You'll know when you've reached it. After that including the upcoming patch 3.5 are what aim to set things up for Stormblood.

Heartfyre

I would imagine several years at least? Final Fantasy XI came out in 2002 and got it's final story expansion last year in 2015....so yeah lol. I mean that's not necessarily indicative of anything, but in passing FFXIV seems to be doing pretty solid for them, and dropping PS3 support (which is kind of crazy the game had in the first place to be honest) should probably give them them a lot more leeway for updates.

No online game/MMO lasts forever, but I would expect at least a few years bare minimum of more updates for the game.

I'm definitely hoping it lasts a good while longer, since we're only just finishing up in Eorzea. It's hard to imagine that we'll see all of Ilsabard, Othard, The Northern Wastes, the islands on The Bounty, Thavnair and Radz-At-Han, Meracydia, and The New World at this rate. And whether they plan to show us all these places or not, I very much want to explore them.

Pachimari

This "Into the Beast's Maw" dungeon is hard as hell.

One guy quit, so we kicked him, and so we were only three up against the boss and we failed miserably. I didn't know what to do at the boss. He said he was going to sleep to attract the adds which I was supposed to shoot, but I don't know what adds is.

Heartfyre

This "Into the Beast's Maw" dungeon is hard as hell.

One guy quit, so we kicked him, and so we were only three up against the boss and we failed miserably. I didn't know what to do at the boss. He said he was going to sleep to attract the adds which I was supposed to shoot, but I don't know what adds is.

When someone refers to adds, they're referring to "additional enemies", the small fry that come to assist the boss. As a DPS, you'll generally focus on taking out the little enemies when they appear, since they can do too much extra damage to the tank than can be healed in time.

I've been healing that fight a lot lately, and it's challenging to keep everyone healthy with the amount of poison being thrown around. Fast DPS is essential, as well as destroying the boss' tail once he starts creating pools of poison around the arena.

Pachimari

So they will basically count on me big time during that fight? I am frightened beyond belief. I'll keep the small enemies at bay, and go for the boss' tail next time.

Squishy3

I'm definitely hoping it lasts a good while longer, since we're only just finishing up in Eorzea. It's hard to imagine that we'll see all of Ilsabard, Othard, The Northern Wastes, the islands on The Bounty, Thavnair and Radz-At-Han, Meracydia, and The New World at this rate. And whether they plan to show us all these places or not, I very much want to explore them.
Well we have to remember we're not necessarily limited to what's land-locked (or limited to specific locations for dungeons, we just went to part of Xelphatol after all.) and if you look at the world map the section slotted off for Gyr Abania is much smaller than what was slotted off for everything in Heavensward. (Not to mention stuff that isn't represented on the world map like Sea of Clouds and Churning Mists)

And with the addition of swimming (being locked behind MSQ no less) as well as retaining flying, there's two avenues to have more landmass than is actually shown on the world map.

So they will basically count on me big time during that fight? I am frightened beyond belief. I'll keep the small enemies at bay, and go for the boss' tail next time.
It's not that difficult, the bad experience is probably shaking you more than anything else, the biggest thing is not to panic. Additionally, you've got the penalty of being down a member. And we don't know what role you were missing so if you were missing a healer or a tank that would further exacerbate the problem. You can work around missing a DPS in a lot of the dungeons in the game, but not so much a tank or healer.

Heartfyre

No more than regularly. It's just a matter of knowing what target to focus your attacks on at the right moment, and this is a universal skill that you'll repeatedly come back to. As a general rule, you should attack adds as they appear. If a new target appears on the boss during a fight, like the tail in this case, you should make sure to destroy it. These are small details that just make the tank and the healer's job easier. It's very possible to ignore the adds and the tail but still beat the boss -- happens all the time, actually -- but it becomes much more difficult for the tank to survive over the long-term of the fight.

But you were never going to win that fight with three party members. That's the primary reason for your defeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom