• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
You've gone down a dark path when instead of changing races, you're changing your skin tone a few shades and maybe your eye color too.

I did a Fantasia once just to change eye color, in my defense it was one of three free Fantasia I have gotten over the years, so I didn't have to pay for it.

Yeah, it's really annoying that you can't switch skin/eye color. Doesn't take long for me to regret using edgy shit like red eyes but then I stuck with it until the next potion.

No regrets though, Fantasias are basically pay to win solutions to the glamour endgame, how am I supposed to wear these cute dresses as a bulky Highlander.

wamberz1

I've got to say, something I've been noticing more and more when doing party finder EX primals is people saying you "don't know mechanics" when people really just make honest mistakes. Yes, I must not know that I have to turn away from dragons gaze because I got hit by it, the other 50 times I did so must have been flukes.
I feel like people want to yell at people for screwing up but don't want to sound like assholes. Which they do anyways.

( I would just like to note that all above examples are just that and I totally didn't get hit by dragons gaze what are you even talking about shhhhh)

I've got to say, something I've been noticing more and more when doing party finder EX primals is people saying you "don't know mechanics" when people really just make honest mistakes. Yes, I must not know that I have to turn away from dragons gaze because I got hit by it, the other 50 times I did so must have been flukes.
I feel like people want to yell at people for screwing up but don't want to sound like assholes. Which they do anyways.

( I would just like to note that all above examples are just that and I totally didn't get hit by dragons gaze what are you even talking about shhhhh)

Yeah, some people think that unless you can perform any given fight perfectly with zero mistakes ever then it means you "don't know the fight".

Perineum

It took forever, but I go the game to download everything and able to play.

With the time spent I am 26 marauder, and super bored of the main story quest's at this point. Delivering an egg for one of them confirmed to me whoever was in charge of these is a moron. There is nothing epic or fun about these quests. The ones with voice acting are worth grinding it though, and the Ifrit stuff was bad ass.

Overall main story design though is such a bunch of step backwards from even FFXI when it first launched. I'm hoping this massive grind to Heavensward pays out GAF. :(

wamberz1

With the time spent I am 26 marauder, and super bored of the main story quest's at this point. Delivering an egg for one of them confirmed to me whoever was in charge of these is a moron. There is nothing epic or fun about these quests. The ones with voice acting are worth grinding it though, and the Ifrit stuff was bad ass.

Overall main story design though is such a bunch of step backwards from even FFXI when it first launched. I'm hoping this massive grind to Heavensward pays out GAF. :(
You've probably heard this already, but yeah the story , quests and trials get significantly better post-vanilla.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

They messes up the quest design in arr because there was so many levels to gain they added filler to the main quest. In HW the main quest are literally the main quest they added more side quest for exp but if anything is part of the main quest it is generally important and ties together with the story

Yeah, out of what I'll call the three parts (ARR, Heavensward and Heavensward Part 2) ARR is definitely the weakest. Late ARR and onwards gets more interesting and even more so in Heavensward.

MrDaravon

I'm in the GAF FC now, thanks! Had to get off almost right afterwards, but is it possible to configure the Log Window to have show multiple chats in one window, or do you have to toggle between them? Like ideally I'd want the game log (XP gains, items etc) and FC log showing together.

Perineum

When would you guys say it "picks up" ?

I was just doing the Gridania quests for the main story for gathering honey. It's a little bit after the brother and sister end up at all 3 of the nation's leaders speaking about the calamity 5 years ago.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

I was just doing the Gridania quests for the main story for gathering honey. It's a little bit after the brother and sister end up at all 3 of the nation's leaders speaking about the calamity 5 years ago.

I did a quest today where I had to dance for 8 people.

wamberz1

The story starts to pick up around 40, but even then the game is still hitting you with menial fetch quests. I would say when you hit 50 is when the slow but steady increase in quality begins.
So you've got a ways to go, unfortunately, but if you can power through it the reward is worth it IMO. What you're playing through right now is world and character building stretched across 50 levels.

Immediately after the final dungeon of 2.0 (Castrum Meridianum) is where the story starts to show some sparks and then the story slowly but steadily gets more interesting until a thrilling climax that leads into Heavensward. With Heavensward, especially with the new English voice actors and voice direction, is when the story really elevates itself into something strong.

Slater

Banned
Immediately after the final dungeon of 2.0 (Castrum Meridianum) is where the story starts to show some sparks and then the story slowly but steadily gets more interesting until a thrilling climax that leads into Heavensward. With Heavensward, especially with the new English voice actors and voice direction, is when the story really elevates itself into something strong.

ehhh,those Doma quest's are fucking brutal, sniffing a chocobo isn't going to really make him think it's ramping up.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Big muscly hairy dudes who give you bear hugs while wearing man thongs.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
but Roeg is the only decent looking race? I'm confused.

Alts save me from using Fantasias for various reasons. Can keep my main striped smiley dark skinned miqo while the alts are for whatever.

Tomat

Alts save me from using Fantasias for various reasons. Can keep my main striped smiley dark skinned miqo while the alts are for whatever.
But then you have to level them for it to actually be worth it. Also doesn't help that I have three main characters I settle on.
Although I sort of narrowed it down to two and am sticking to one for a while now.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Stupid question, since I don't pay that much attention to tomes - are we going to get a new set in 3.5 or is the current one last before Stormblood?

Alfebit

Banned
You've gone down a dark path when instead of changing races, you're changing your skin tone a few shades and maybe your eye color too.

Yeah.

Changing voice on the other hand is an extremely acceptable reason to spend $10.

>.>

But then you have to level them for it to actually be worth it. Also doesn't help that I have three main characters I settle on.
Although I sort of narrowed it down to two and am sticking to one for a while now.

Eh, it's too much of a drag to level them up now. Too many filler quests and after awhile you just want to not bother anymore.

My problem isn't having too many alts because I have none.

It's the fact that I can't settle on playing one job.

I see people that are completely decked out in gear that I would have for my main job if I didn't spread myself over 4-5 or so jobs constantly.

That's why I'm hoping with Stormblood I can choose one, maybe two and stick between them instead of leveling a ton of different jobs that I won't actually focus on.

Tomat

Eh, it's too much of a drag to level them up now. Too many filler quests and after awhile you just want to not bother anymore.
I couldn't do that though, no joy in playing a character I can't do anything with.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Scripture is the last set before Stormblood.
Sigh, that's sad to hear. Guess I'll have to get some more after all instead of running around in mostly Prototype Alex gear.

I guess we can expect Scripture gear + the last raid giving out items to upgrade it like last time for us non-riders?

grimmiq

Trying to fix a few settings, I can run this full screen at 1920x1080 with a pretty solid 59-60fps, but when I go borderless windowed it drops down to 1360x768..Resolution options are greyed out, is there any way to fix this?

I'm in the GAF FC now, thanks! Had to get off almost right afterwards, but is it possible to configure the Log Window to have show multiple chats in one window, or do you have to toggle between them? Like ideally I'd want the game log (XP gains, items etc) and FC log showing together.
See nobody has addressed this, so. You can make an extra log window that shows exactly what you want and ONLY what you want. The game has surprisingly good chat filters.

iammeiam

Trying to fix a few settings, I can run this full screen at 1920x1080 with a pretty solid 59-60fps, but when I go borderless windowed it drops down to 1360x768..Resolution options are greyed out, is there any way to fix this?

The settings window is confusing; the resolution on borderless windowed is just lying to you. Borderless Windowed mode is locked to whatever your desktop resolution is (so probably 1920x1080); the displayed number with the greyed-out arrows is being ignored by the game/overridden by desktop because you're in Borderless Windowed mode.

grimmiq

The settings window is confusing; the resolution on borderless windowed is just lying to you. Borderless Windowed mode is locked to whatever your desktop resolution is (so probably 1920x1080); the displayed number with the greyed-out arrows is being ignored by the game/overridden by desktop because you're in Borderless Windowed mode.

Thanks, I thought it looked a bit off..turns out I somehow turned off FXAA.

I wanna say 25 or 30 level? Like once you join the scions the main quest kinda starts. I think shit gets real around 40 though.

Kenai

The combat at least for a Lancer finally is getting mildly more interesting after hitting like 28 or so.

The combat for most dps jobs starts forming into a real rotation around the mid 30s wit h a few final spots to fill in between 44-50 depending on the job. Then a lot of rotations totally go a different directions in HW (for the ranged classes anyway).

Not really. It is dull as shite until maybe you unlock blood of the dragon, imo. I wouldn't pick drg as a starter but that's just me.

You can't really call DRG one of the boring DPS jobs at that level when BLM and BRD exist (though to be fair they are far more buttons in HW)

grimmiq

So what's the fastest way to lvl 50-60 alts? I have DRG/ARM/MNR/ALC at 60, everything else is 50-52. Best suggestion I've had so far is farming Palace of the Dead 1-10 over and over.

Squishy3

So what's the fastest way to lvl 50-60 alts? I have DRG/ARM/MNR/ALC at 60, everything else is 50-52. Best suggestion I've had so far is farming Palace of the Dead 1-10 over and over.
Vath and Vanu Vanu beast tribes are also good supplementary EXP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom