• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aceface

Sigh, that's sad to hear. Guess I'll have to get some more after all instead of running around in mostly Prototype Alex gear.

I guess we can expect Scripture gear + the last raid giving out items to upgrade it like last time for us non-riders?

Yeah it will be exactly the same as last time.

I really hope the Shire Gear upgrade isn't a penny drop from each Arc raid....

You'll have to do all 3, don't get your hopes up.

Kyoufu

I was like, yay! done with the ARR MSQs. Time to move to Heavensward finally!

NOPE GOTTA DO ANOTHER 100 QUESTS

YOSHIIIDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

jump potion will make them a lot of money

Tendo

So I finally want to get serious about leveling a crafting class and I am a bit confused. The guides I find online talk about crafting high quality items for turn in as low as level 15. How in the world do you do that consistently? I am totally lost.

Reknoc

So I finally want to get serious about leveling a crafting class and I am a bit confused. The guides I find online talk about crafting high quality items for turn in as low as level 15. How in the world do you do that consistently? I am totally lost.

If you can, try and buy them from the marketboard. Otherwise try and get HQ materials to do it yourself.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Don't forget about GC turn ins, if you do them long enough, you'll have all crafting/gathering classes at 60 without doing a thing (aside from spending money on the market).

Tendo

Don't forget about GC turn ins, if you do them long enough, you'll have all crafting/gathering classes at 60 without doing a thing (aside from spending money on the market).

Oh man. I forgot about these. Gotta work on those as well.

Using all high quality materials will immediately fill the quality bar half full when starting, so if you want to craft high quality items consistently that's a must.

Squishy3

i fucking hate grinding for dungeon sets for glamour

i either do it on my tank for instant queues but probably get outrolled for it when the pieces actually drop, or do it on dps and wait forever and never see the pieces drop ;_;

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?

i either do it on my tank for instant queues but probably get outrolled for it when the pieces actually drop, or do it on dps and wait forever and never see the pieces drop ;_;
If we're talking about lower level dungeons, doing them unsynced with a high ilv lv 60 character or duo with someone else is incomparably faster to queuing with DF.

dramatis

Between 1 and 15, you can get mats for cheap from a vendor in each of the starting cities, usually labeled "Tradecraft Supplier". Craft various items from the crafting log; each time you have crafted an item for the first time, you get bonus exp for doing it. Shouldn't take too long to get to 15.

If you have ranked up in GC, there's also an item "Company [something]" that looks like an open yellow scroll that gives you bonus exp for crafting while it is up as a buff.

Another slightly helpful thing is that in the FC house there are various crafting furniture (on the first floor I think) that if you use it under level 40, will grant you a bit of extra CP to use.

Eating food of any kind will also grab you +3% exp as you craft, if you buy mineral water or some other really cheap food that can help you over the course of 60 levels obviously.

When you hit level 15, each crafting class gets a unique ability. You can cross class those abilities to help you with leveling the others. Culinarian is usually the first you should level because of Hasty Touch (lvl 15) and Steady Hand II (lvl 37 (lol)). For 'low level' leveling, Carpenter's Rumination (lvl 15) might be a bit helpful, as well as Alchemist's Tricks of the Trade (lvl 15). The point of obtaining all these abilities is to make it easier for you craft HQ items.

The crafting class quests usually give equipment as rewards every 5 levels, so you can mish mash gear from doing them. You generally don't need to buy gear except for accessories, which influence how much CP you have.

Each day, your GC will have 'Hand In' quests where you make a specified item (the item is generated depending on your class level) and then you hand it in at your GC HQ or to the GC hand in guys around the world. If you hand in an HQ item, it will double your exp reward. If the item has a star next to it, the exp reward will be greater. So ideally you hand in an HQ item to a starred mark for the day.

For levequests, use this to check which ones have the highest exp gain and easiest stuff to make for your level. Sometimes you could keep doing the levequests below your level for a bit because the items to make for the next batch of levequests are still difficult. There are quests that are "triple" quests, which means you can hand in items up to 3 times before the levequest can be closed, and you get exp each time; however, you have to craft a lot, so you will need a lot of mats. The missions that are probably the least trouble and the most exp gain (if you HQ the item) are the "delivery" quests, where you have to travel all the way out to nowhere to hand in the item. But the teleport fee is not much considering you usually get a gil reward too.

For post-50 leveling, I would say you should have Carpenter's Byregot's Blessing (lvl 50) and Weaver's Careful Synthesis II (lvl 50).

The way to HQ at low level is to use HQ mats and YOLO. I leveled my gathering classes at around or ahead of my crafting classes, so I was able to supply myself with HQ mats. Culinarian was actually somewhat simple to level because most of its mats came from Botanist gathering. If that's not feasible or not your style, it's okay to buy off marketboard, or barter with FC mates.

The YOLO part is where I abused Hasty Touch, Steady Hands II, Tricks of the Trade, and Goldsmith's Manipulation (lvl 15) for everything to up the quality of low level items before finishing it. The YOLO comes from Hasty Touch and Armorer's Rapid Synthesis, so I guess in the end I used a lot of different abilities lol

If you want the semi-rotation I used you can ask, this post is long enough already

Squishy3

If we're talking about lower level dungeons, doing them unsynced with a high ilv lv 60 character or duo with someone else is incomparably faster to queuing with DF.
Nah I want the Dragoon set from Sohr Khai/Hullbreaker HM. Can't unsync those until Stormblood. Funny cuz I could probably solo them as a Warrior now if they let me. :<

wamberz1

Yeah, realizing you still have a ways to go sucks, but this is where the story and trials start to get way more interesting, so enjoy your time there.

Tendo

Between 1 and 15, you can get mats for cheap from a vendor in each of the starting cities, usually labeled "Tradecraft Supplier". Craft various items from the crafting log; each time you have crafted an item for the first time, you get bonus exp for doing it. Shouldn't take too long to get to 15.

If you have ranked up in GC, there's also an item "Company [something]" that looks like an open yellow scroll that gives you bonus exp for crafting while it is up as a buff.

Another slightly helpful thing is that in the FC house there are various crafting furniture (on the first floor I think) that if you use it under level 40, will grant you a bit of extra CP to use.

Eating food of any kind will also grab you +3% exp as you craft, if you buy mineral water or some other really cheap food that can help you over the course of 60 levels obviously.

When you hit level 15, each crafting class gets a unique ability. You can cross class those abilities to help you with leveling the others. Culinarian is usually the first you should level because of Hasty Touch (lvl 15) and Steady Hand II (lvl 37 (lol)). For 'low level' leveling, Carpenter's Rumination (lvl 15) might be a bit helpful, as well as Alchemist's Tricks of the Trade (lvl 15). The point of obtaining all these abilities is to make it easier for you craft HQ items.

The crafting class quests usually give equipment as rewards every 5 levels, so you can mish mash gear from doing them. You generally don't need to buy gear except for accessories, which influence how much CP you have.

Each day, your GC will have 'Hand In' quests where you make a specified item (the item is generated depending on your class level) and then you hand it in at your GC HQ or to the GC hand in guys around the world. If you hand in an HQ item, it will double your exp reward. If the item has a star next to it, the exp reward will be greater. So ideally you hand in an HQ item to a starred mark for the day.

For levequests, use this to check which ones have the highest exp gain and easiest stuff to make for your level. Sometimes you could keep doing the levequests below your level for a bit because the items to make for the next batch of levequests are still difficult. There are quests that are "triple" quests, which means you can hand in items up to 3 times before the levequest can be closed, and you get exp each time; however, you have to craft a lot, so you will need a lot of mats. The missions that are probably the least trouble and the most exp gain (if you HQ the item) are the "delivery" quests, where you have to travel all the way out to nowhere to hand in the item. But the teleport fee is not much considering you usually get a gil reward too.

For post-50 leveling, I would say you should have Carpenter's Byregot's Blessing (lvl 50) and Weaver's Careful Synthesis II (lvl 50).

The way to HQ at low level is to use HQ mats and YOLO. I leveled my gathering classes at around or ahead of my crafting classes, so I was able to supply myself with HQ mats. Culinarian was actually somewhat simple to level because most of its mats came from Botanist gathering. If that's not feasible or not your style, it's okay to buy off marketboard, or barter with FC mates.

The YOLO part is where I abused Hasty Touch, Steady Hands II, Tricks of the Trade, and Goldsmith's Manipulation (lvl 15) for everything to up the quality of low level items before finishing it. The YOLO comes from Hasty Touch and Armorer's Rapid Synthesis, so I guess in the end I used a lot of different abilities lol

If you want the semi-rotation I used you can ask, this post is long enough already

This post has been so helpful and I just bookmarked it. Lots of great info - and work to do. Thanks!

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I really really hope that the first quest in stormblood is a "can you find my 5 moogle friends" search quest. just to fuck with us all.

wamberz1

This kabuto looks cool for glamour so fuck it
w2GrWvD.png

And so began the adventures of Cock Shotgun Samurai

wamberz1

Should I run white mage or paladin?

Both are very different play styles. White mage is a healer, paladin is a tank.
Both have very fast queue times compared to DPS, tanks more so than healers, albeit slightly.
Keep in mind you're going to play both eventually anyways for cross class skills. So just pick whichever one you think would make the first few hours of the game fun.

I'm sad I didn't start raiding this patch kinda. Maybe I should do that! I dunno. Still plenty of time before expansion. I guess I'm back to playing the game for now.

Kyoufu

Yeah, realizing you still have a ways to go sucks, but this is where the story and trials start to get way more interesting, so enjoy your time there.

I'm on Leviabeetus right now. Really enjoyed this quest. Couldn't say that much for the 2.0 quests.

Squishy3

I'm sad I didn't start raiding this patch kinda. Maybe I should do that! I dunno. Still plenty of time before expansion. I guess I'm back to playing the game for now.
It'll probably be hard to get into it right this second but more opportunities should arise when 3.5 hits with the cross server party finder. If for whatever reason that doesn't end up working out probably best to just hit the ground running for 4.0. Get your class down and you'll be able to rapidly adjust to any changes made to it in Stormblood.

MrDaravon

See nobody has addressed this, so. You can make an extra log window that shows exactly what you want and ONLY what you want. The game has surprisingly good chat filters.

Just got on and figured that out, thank you! I also finally figured how to MOVE the log window like the other HUD elements (having to hover specifically over "General" was not immediately obvious) thank god.

I almost know what I'm doing now!

Crosseyes

Banned
I'm on Leviabeetus right now. Really enjoyed this quest. Couldn't say that much for the 2.0 quests.
A lot of people say that the 2.0 series story is really slow and drags on and thats a fair point but one thing you can't take away from it is all that world building that will have massive payoff now in the 2.1 content forward.

FHIZ

Okay, bought this game on the cheap amazon sale but I have NO IDEA how I'm supposed to log in on PS4.

When I boot up the game, it gives me one option of "already have a SE account" then takes me to a screen where my PSN profile name and the one that shows up on http://na.square-enix.com/ when I log in is.

Password doesn't work.

Okay.

So I go to the FFXIV site, Mog Station I guess, recover my password there log in with my email and when I log in with the same email I use at the regular Square Enix site, I have a different account name pop up there. So I try to put that SE ID in at the FFXIV log in screen but for whatever reason, it won't let me change it.

What the hell is going on?

The only weird variable I can think of is that I have a different email for my PSN account... Do I make a Square Enix account with that one then try logging in?

If someone could help that'd be great, I'm about two seconds away from just saying fuck it and not bothering.

MrDaravon

Okay, bought this game on the cheap amazon sale but I have NO IDEA how I'm supposed to log in on PS4.

When I boot up the game, it gives me one option of "already have a SE account" then takes me to a screen where my PSN profile name and the one that shows up on http://na.square-enix.com/ when I log in is.

Password doesn't work.

Okay.

So I go to the FFXIV site, Mog Station I guess, recover my password there log in with my email and when I log in with the same email I use at the regular Square Enix site, I have a different account name pop up there. So I try to put that SE ID in at the FFXIV log in screen but for whatever reason, it won't let me change it.

What the hell is going on?

The only weird variable I can think of is that I have a different email for my PSN account... Do I make a Square Enix account with that one then try logging in?

If someone could help that'd be great, I'm about two seconds away from just saying fuck it and not bothering.

IIRC I don't think your PSN email is involved in any step of that process (I did it last week). So you're saying the Mog Station and S-E site are showing different usernames for you? Did you use to play on PC or something maybe? I'm honestly not sure.

FHIZ

IIRC I don't think your PSN email is involved in any step of that process (I did it last week). So you're saying the Mog Station and S-E site are showing different usernames for you? Did you use to play on PC or something maybe? I'm honestly not sure.

I'm thinking that the issue may be linked to the email address I have an account with may be linked to my old PSN that I ditched at the beginning of this generation because I wanted a PSN name that wasn't created in the mid 2000s by teenage me.

But it's just strange, the game is auto filling in my PSN ID as the SE ID, but I have never used just that name to log into anything, it's my email address. I think I'm going to have to contact SE support since they don't surface linked accounts anywhere from what I can tell.

I complained about this in the FC Chat, but I feel compelled to whine again, I don't understand why dungeons can have chambers seal before players even finish watching cutscenes.

MrDaravon

I'm thinking that the issue may be linked to the email address I have an account with may be linked to my old PSN that I ditched at the beginning of this generation because I wanted a PSN name that wasn't created in the mid 2000s by teenage me.

But it's just strange, the game is auto filling in my PSN ID as the SE ID, but I have never used just that name to log into anything, it's my email address. I think I'm going to have to contact SE support since they don't surface linked accounts anywhere from what I can tell.

My PSN and S-E usernames were the same so I wouldn't have noticed that. I would try just manually changing it to your S-E username and whatever password you reset it to. One thing I will mention that tripped me up is when you're using the PS4 keyboard entering the username make sure you remove any empty spaces at the end of your name. It was auto-complete putting my name in there but it was doing it with an extra space at the end at the main login screen, which I think was part of the problem where I was resetting my password successfully, but then on the actual login screen it was saying the new password wasn't correct. Also make sure you're not putting anything in the one-time use password field (unless you actually have that set up from playing the game previously).

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Bought the previous expansion on sale and booted this game up for first time in like over a year. Man I completely forgot how to play this game lol.

FHIZ

My PSN and S-E usernames were the same so I wouldn't have noticed that. I would try just manually changing it to your S-E username and whatever password you reset it to. One thing I will mention that tripped me up is when you're using the PS4 keyboard entering the username make sure you remove any empty spaces at the end of your name. It was auto-complete putting my name in there but it was doing it with an extra space at the end at the main login screen, which I think was part of the problem where I was resetting my password successfully, but then on the actual login screen it was saying the new password wasn't correct. Also make sure you're not putting anything in the one-time use password field (unless you actually have that set up from playing the game previously).

Thing is that I can't change the ID on the PS4 log in. The text selection field just has my PSN ID in and it's greyed out. Can't select it.

iammeiam

Because Gordias killed individual raiding scenes so people started migrating to Greg with the illusion that they'd get through A3S easily.

To go a little further, a lot of FFXIV's server infrastructure stuff is... less than great. In Gordias there was zero in the way of cross-server raid ability, so if you wanted to raid you had to be on the server the other people were on. Gilgamesh was the largest non-Balmung NA server to start with, hosted some of the bigger names in raiding, and as people migrated to it it snowballed into the all-consuming location it ultimately became.

Midas added the ability to queue into raids cross-server, and a patch in a few weeks will have the revolutionary concept of forming cross-server groups in Party Finder, so a lot of the drive to be on Gilgamesh specifically is going away and being on a smaller server in general is less of a hurdle for people.

Zalasta

You can always ask people to pass on them. I doubt most would mind, especially if you are the tank.

wamberz1

great, i'm liking it so far, thanks.
one question, I take it that I reset my progress everytime I finish 60 or is there a way to do floors I already cleared without starting from 1?

Once you beat the boss of 50 you can start from 51.
So just do that and reset over and over.

thanks everyone for helping me with Alexander The Creator normal today, and Sophia normal.

It's been quite the journey catching back up, now I just need to grind out a weapon in PotD and I can start raid searching in earnest again.

Speaking of, if anyone's looking for a MNK DPS let me know. Going to take it easy raiding this time. I became pretty obnoxious and big-headed when I took it too seriously last time. Now just want to clear stuff and have fun with people (I'll still play my role well tho)

I'm gonna post this just so newbies have a better understanding:

When "A Realm Reborn" is mentioned, typically within the community, this means version 2.0. This is the game that was available at launch on August 27, 2013. However, the game/main scenario doesn't end with The Praetorium. In between it and Heavensward's (3.0) release on June 23, 2015, we had patches 2.1 to 2.55 that were released within about 3-4 months of one another as free content. 2.1 to 2.55 are generally referred to as the 2.x series. These patches continued the story where 2.0 ended and build up directly into 3.0's story. You have to complete all of the main scenario quests of these patches to get to Heavensward. This is a Final Fantasy game, so it's very story driven experience.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Yes.
Run 10-30 until you get +30 +30ish, then 50-60

So I pretty much don't need to bother with leves/FATES whatever for classes that I have at like level 4? Just swap to that class and hop into POTD for dem xp gains?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom