• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberz1

So I pretty much don't need to bother with leves/FATES whatever for classes that I have at like level 4? Just swap to that class and hop into POTD for dem xp gains?

Well, if they're your second class plus brand new ring plus food then maybe do a few fates until level 10-12. Because your so low it will fly by, you could probably do it in 30 minutes while POTD might only get you to 9 or so. But after that yeah just POTD all day erry day.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
It would be 3rd+ classes, i just got summoner so my highest is 30 and 2nd is 15.

Heartfyre

Besides roulettes, I was rightly told the best way of levelling 50-60 is to do the daily hunts from Foundation, as well as the Gnath and Vanu beast tribe quests. You get ~35,000 EXP per 5/10/15 hunts and a steadily-increasing but still ~60,000 EXP for each of the six daily beast tribe quests. Combining that with roulettes, and you're at 60 in a matter of a fortnight.

wamberz1

Besides roulettes, I was rightly told the best way of levelling 50-60 is to do the daily hunts from Foundation, as well as the Gnath and Vanu beast tribe quests. You get ~35,000 EXP per hunt and a steadily-increasing but still ~60,000 EXP per beast tribe quest. Combining that with roulettes, and you're at 60 in a matter of a fortnight.
That so? haven't tried beast tribe quests yet, I should give those a shot.

B.K.

How hard would the game be to get into for a new player? I want to play it, but I'm afraid to start fresh. The only MMORPG experience I have is with Final Fantasy XI and it was impossible for a new player to get much accomplished without a good Linkshell until they added Trusts.

How hard would the game be to get into for a new player? I want to play it, but I'm afraid to start fresh. The only MMORPG experience I have is with Final Fantasy XI and it was impossible for a new player to get much accomplished without a good Linkshell until they added Trusts.
It's super easy. Lots of info but I've honestly only had to grab a party once for the story and even then it was as easy as pressing a button.
I just started last week and am loving it.

Omni

Very easy to get into.

Perfect time if you wanna go through the story and stuff before the expansion, tbh, as it would take you a while. Queues can be annoying if you're dps and trying to level buuuut still lots of people running old content.

The raid finder for a11s is pretty nightmarish isn't it? I like to practice on my non raid days and people q for completion when they can't even do half the mechanics. Why does everyone expect a11s to have carries? It is pretty ridiculous how many people actually want carries in this fight. The best I've seen on rf is 25 percent but they are mostly voted for abandon. A11s is definitely not a friendly fight with pugs but.... do the smart thing and stay out of completion unless you've seen the whole fight xD. I should mention I'm searching completion and maybe 2 out of 5 parties even make 3rd phase ....

Nrocinu777

Neo Member
Oh hey guys! Kinda new to FF14. I used to play a previous character as Tank (not knowing the dungeons,etc, luckily people were friendly when I told 'em I'm new so they guided me through dungeons), but the pressure was a bit too much ( social anxiety didn't help much xD), and I stopped before the Titan fight. Resubbed now after quite a while, and made a new character as BLM.

Loving it so far with all that pressure being gone, and I'm back to pretty much where I stopped previously.

Just wanted to say Hi tbh. :p

Also good lord but the duty finder waiting times is insane for a DPS D: ( Also I think I was a pretty decent Tank compared to some... most I came across lol)

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
So what the predictions on what hasn't been unveiled job wise?

2 jobs total = Red Mage + another DPS

3 jobs total Red Mage + Tank + Healer
No way they are going to kill the duty finder queue times for DPS by adding 2 DPS classes at once.
My bet is RM + tank.

No way they are going to kill the duty finder queue times for DPS by adding 2 DPS classes at once.
My bet is RM + tank.

See, the thing is that by going with just two new DPS jobs, they give more stuff to half of the playerbase while simultaneously denying the other half cool new jobs to play with (I'm in this group).

It's always best to go with a healthy or lethal dose of skepticism and pessimism. By expecting nothing, you will be happy if you get something at all. Considering that, I think it's most likely that if there are in fact only 2 jobs, they will both be DPS.

My other big prediction is that Paladin will still have no AOE in Stormblood.

Mechazawa

These mid-story dungeons are fucking brutal. A noninsignificant amount of my time with this game is going to ultimately be eaten up by just waiting for a god damn queue if my lvl 22 character is any indication so far.

suzu

Queue times are always going to be a pain for DPS classes in most MMOs.

At least you can run around doing FATES and sidequests while queued.

Edit: Also try asking in FC chat if anyone is interested in running it with you.
Or ask a high level player to unsync levels and rush through it. lol

Nrocinu777

Neo Member
These mid-story dungeons are fucking brutal. A noninsignificant amount of my time with this game is going to ultimately be eaten up by just waiting for a god damn queue if my lvl 22 character is any indication so far.

Yeah it's kinda bad, I switch to a new class to level up or do hunts while I wait for it to finally start.

SkyOdin

If queue times bother you, just main a tank job. We get instantaneous Duty Finder entry with bonus cash as an added incentive. Tanking is fun too, once you get the hang of it.

Squishy3

Yeah it's kinda bad, I switch to a new class to level up or do hunts while I wait for it to finally start.

So like, while queue times aren't great as a dps, let me tell you about queue times in WoW as a DPS and dungeons are 5 man and have 3 DPS spots.

An hour and a half for dungeons released in Legion. I'll never complain about XIV queue times again.

Omni

Got the Sophia bird. That just leave Seph's

omg though. I have like 160 tokens in my inventory. I can't stand to farm it any longer. I HOPE to god that we'll be able to buy it with the next patch

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Got the Sophia bird. That just leave Seph's

omg though. I have like 160 tokens in my inventory. I can't stand to farm it any longer. I HOPE to god that we'll be able to buy it with the next patch

I finally cleared Seth the other day. Need his and Sophia's bird.

Got super lucky after clearing Niddhogg, and won the first whistle I saw.

So like, while queue times aren't great as a dps, let me tell you about queue times in WoW as a DPS and dungeons are 5 man and have 3 DPS spots.

An hour and a half for dungeons released in Legion. I'll never complain about XIV queue times again.
Holy fucking shit

And here I was, bored of waiting 10 minutes

ilium

I'm actually suprised how quick duty finder Times are for me as a Bard, expected at least 45min+ but ~15min isn't that Bad. I'm only Up to the mansion on my new Char tho, so who knows how it'll be at the later stuff like Castrum..

I'm actually suprised how quick duty finder Times are for me as a Bard, expected at least 45min+ but ~15min isn't that Bad. I'm only Up to the mansion on my new Char tho, so who knows how it'll be at the later stuff like Castrum..

If the upcoming patch adds a reason for people to do main scenario roulette to get tomes for some new item, Q times might not be too terrible.

I went with an arcanist for my alt character so I could queue into everything as a scholar while I play SMN to kill stuff faster solo.

Redhood

I just bought this game and its my first MMO. I do not have the heavesward expansion. There are different worlds and once the world is chosen for a character you cannot change it freely. So my question is what world should I chose? Is there a difference in story, quests or locations I will visit? What server does GAF play on?

Ken

I just bought this game and its my first MMO. I do not have the heavesward expansion. There are different worlds and once the world is chosen for a character you cannot change it freely. So my question is what world should I chose? Is there a difference in story, quests or locations I will visit? What server does GAF play on?

1. no, server differences is just location for lag purposes, and time zones that will affect when the server is active. no in-game differences.

2. ultros on the PRIMAL data center

What's the best method to grind company seals?

Furthermore, is it even worth doing?

if you're max level, turning in green gear from current dungeons (xelphatol and library hard) is pretty good.

seals can get you a bunch of stuff like ventures, cordials for gathering, some materials i think, vanity gear, and it also fuels yoru squadron deployments

Apoptomon

Story variation only exists in the sense that starting class determines the city in which you spend the first 15 levels, there's no factions or world differences.

Server selection largely depends on your location and what you want out of the game:
- In Europe? Go with Chaos data centre
- in America? Primal or Aether.
- in Asia/Oceania? Many are on Tonberry server in Elemental data centre
- into roleplay? Balmung server on Aether is the main place, but is full for new characters pretty much all the time.
- hardcore raids? Gilgamesh, same situation as Balmung.
- play with GAF? Ultros server on Primal.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So I just saw that chocobo companions are a thing. What's the deal with that? Is it basically a pet that any class/job can have out for a bit of extra damage in combat?

So I just saw that chocobo companions are a thing. What's the deal with that? Is it basically a pet that any class/job can have out for a bit of extra damage in combat?

Pretty much. Of course you can change what the chocobo can do (DPS, Tank, or healer). Usually chocobos take a party slot if you're in a party with other people (fate groups usually pretty common with this). But when 3.5 comes out (which is in 2 weeks), they're going to be in the pet/companion group so full parties can have 8 chocobos out at the same time. Plus you can have your chocobo out when you're in DF in 3.5 as well. A much needed future that should've been from the start or at least in 2.x patches.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Pretty much. Of course you can change what the chocobo can do (DPS, Tank, or healer). Usually chocobos take a party slot if you're in a party with other people (fate groups usually pretty common with this). But when 3.5 comes out (which is in 2 weeks), they're going to be in the pet/companion group so full parties can have 8 chocobos out at the same time. Plus you can have your chocobo out when you're in DF in 3.5 as well. A much needed future that should've been from the start or at least in 2.x patches.

That sounds cool, didn't know this.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
That sounds cool, didn't know this.
I personally recommend a full healer chocobo, even if you're a healer yourself. I went with a tank companion first, but it's mostly useless - can't hold hate at all. Healer saved me many, many times.

Got the base game + Heavensward the other day and I've been loving it. Level 16-ish gladiator so far on Ultros, also joined GAF. I think I'm close to entering my first dungeon. Name is Sigurd Engels.

Squishy3

Holy fucking shit

And here I was, bored of waiting 10 minutes
Yeah it was actually miserable. I don't know if XIV's matching algorithm is more efficient than WoW's or XIV's population actually has a better spread between the different roles or what... but geez. Doesn't help Legion end-game was even more mindnumbing than XIV's (at least you don't need to do any inane tasks other than get your item level up to complete the story) but like I just wanted to do the dungeons/raids for the story in Legion and when I hit 110 there's a bunch of stuff that suddenly starts to hinder the player: Currency grinds that you can only get from gathering nodes/random drops with a shoulder enchantment sure are fun. Plus rep grinds to continue the story and artifact power grinds to continue the other storyline present sure are fun. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I personally recommend a full healer chocobo, even if you're a healer yourself. I went with a tank companion first, but it's mostly useless - can't hold hate at all. Healer saved me many, many times.

Think mine is almost completely healer, though I'm sure I haven't brought it out enough to be capped.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
So I got 21 days
Reached 1/3rd of Heavensward MSQ so far

Up to MSQ #32, The Trine Towers

I fucking finally unlocked Flying Mount in Coerthas Western Highlands, felt really awesome doing quests hella' quick
Jesus most of these maps make traversing a pain the ass when on the ground
Seriously you have to do side quests too to unlock them too, goddammit!

Up to 56 WAR, 1/3rd of the way through MSQ of 3.0, might reach my goals

IvorB

Few weeks with DRG leveled...

I don't really like it. I don't think melee jobs are for me. I like having a bigger picture of the actions from a ranged perspective.

Sadly this is why I don't play DRG more often. When I'm on the boss I can't see anything else happening on the field which can be a problem for mechanics. BlM is so much easier for that.

Sadly this is why I don't play DRG more often. When I'm on the boss I can't see anything else happening on the field which can be a problem for mechanics. BlM is so much easier for that.

I just zoom the camera out. That allows me to keep a pretty good handle on what's going on.

SkyOdin

Can you retrain your Chocobo skills? I put my first point into tank and immediately regretted it.
Yeah, there is an item you buy with GC seals that can respec your chocobo. If you go to the (massive) effort to level your Chocobo to rank 20, you can master all three role paths. However, it is better to just pick one and stick with it for the first ten ranks.

Just did the Ifrit battle for the first time and loved it.
Arcanist is right up my alley so I'm super eager to move on to Scholar when I can so I can expand from DoT with slight healing to a heavier propensity for healing. Watching my debuffs pile on enemies is super fun.
I get 1-2 commendations each time I do a dungeon so that's pretty good I guess?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom