• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just did the Ifrit battle for the first time and loved it.
Arcanist is right up my alley so I'm super eager to move on to Scholar when I can so I can expand from DoT with slight healing to a heavier propensity for healing. Watching my debuffs pile on enemies is super fun.
I get 1-2 commendations each time I do a dungeon so that's pretty good I guess?

Comms roll in as a healer or tank.

wamberz1

Seph EX is making me want to throw my computer through the window.
What do people have against calling out directions for towers that they won't do it every time?

eliza0224

I started up as a Bard until lvl 34, but I'm leaning towards Pugilist/Monk now (lvl 21)... the Bard is fun but Monk is even better for my style 😁

Edit: also fuck the ARR MSQ >.>

Pigbottom

Neo Member
Edit: also fuck the ARR MSQ >.>

Totally true, I just got to level 39 and now the game expects me to just grind to level 40 to continue the msq. I know it's just a level, but it makes me think of what is to come and why I gave up on the game last time I tried to finish ARR. I had to grind all the way to 45 or 50 and it totally burned me out.

It eludes me on why would they ever think this was a good idea or even how they let it stay like that for such a long time.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Will they overhaul old content for 4.0 (Stormblood)?

Crazy if they expect, people to trudge through stuff that maybe most players will not queue up for down the line

Be nice if they let us solo content
I mean I took 2 year break, luckily I left my char ready to pick up w/o too much hassle
Be nice to go try and see all the content at least once

aceface

Crazy if they expect, people to trudge through stuff that maybe most players will not queue up for down the line

I mean I took 2 year break, luckily I left my char ready to pick up w/o too much hassle

You can solo any ARR content now by doing it unsynced. I'm guessing they will let you solo HW content when stormblood comes out. Also they are going to start selling jump potions that either level a class to 60 or skip all the MSQ's automatically starting this net patch.

LProtag

How do I avoid getting tunnel vision? I'm around level 35 on my DRG and I'm starting to notice how focused I am on my hotbar, making sure I'm keeping up buffs and DoTs as well as using off-GCD abilities when they're up, while keeping my main combo rotation going.

Guess I'm getting a little overwhelmed.

Ken

How do I avoid getting tunnel vision? I'm around level 35 on my DRG and I'm starting to notice how focused I am on my hotbar, making sure I'm keeping up buffs and DoTs as well as using off-GCD abilities when they're up, while keeping my main combo rotation going.

Practice > muscle memory will help you with rotation stuff and on harder content you'll get used to the fight's rotation itself

Rearrange your UI to keep the stuff you have to notice in easy to see places

Worst case you set up some alerts in ACT

Tunnel vision is the dragoon specialty, though. ;P

garath

Totally true, I just got to level 39 and now the game expects me to just grind to level 40 to continue the msq. I know it's just a level, but it makes me think of what is to come and why I gave up on the game last time I tried to finish ARR. I had to grind all the way to 45 or 50 and it totally burned me out.

It eludes me on why would they ever think this was a good idea or even how they let it stay like that for such a long time.

I'm pretty new myself. Only been playing a little over a month. But if I could throw out a couple suggestions. The MSQ will give you most of the XP you need but there are definitely gaps. Try to do the leveling roulette duty finder once a day. It queues you up for a dungeon that needs players and once a day you get a big bonus that's worth upwards of half a level worth of XP in one go. It will help you become a better player with some good dungeon experience and usually you are helping someone do that content for the first time. It's a win win.

Also I'd suggest hitting palace of the dead. It also yields a good chunk of XP for a set of floors and is usually done pretty quick. 15-30min tops. That can give you some valuable drops to sell for money and eventually get you a nice weapon for lvl 60.

I primarily do MSQ but I try to mix in the leveling roulette and potd once a day if I can and it's helped me stay ahead of the leveling curve with my second class. I'm up to 53 war now and about a third through the patch content of ARR. I'll be in good shape for heavensward when I get to that content.

Squishy3

Most of the Heavensward stuff is in the various roulettes, and all the level 60 dungeons will be included in level 60 roulette when Stormblood comes out, so it really shouldn't be that much of an issue. HW trials are in trials, etc. The only thing they need to do is since Alexander's pretty easy is make an Alexander roulette, give it an EXP reward and people'll run it while leveling in Stormblood.

Hey guys, I had the game on PC set to "maximum" and it was hitting 37fps. When I dropped the setting down to "Desktop Standard" it reached 60FPS.

My PC has an i7 processor, 16gigs of ram, and GTX760.

If I wanted to lock at minimum 60FPS on "Desktop High" or "Maximum" settings, do I need to upgrade my CPU or GPU, or both? Can anyone give me an idea of what model or tier to look for?

Or is this something I can achieve from messing around with the individual settings?

Zunja

My girlfriend wanted to me to get back into the game. So I logged in and my ilvl was like 160 bought some items got to 180 but most of the stuff is like 200ilvl. Do I really just farm void ark till I get to 200 with armor cause that sounds terrible. Also is the end game heavensward any better than endgame ARR?

Guess it's that time of the month again.

People should post their characters/glamour.

NIN
3NPgmbQ.jpg

ccdx9Qd.jpg

PLD

yhZ8ELk.jpg

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
My girlfriend wanted to me to get back into the game. So I logged in and my ilvl was like 160 bought some items got to 180 but most of the stuff is like 200ilvl. Do I really just farm void ark till I get to 200 with armor cause that sounds terrible. Also is the end game heavensward any better than endgame ARR?
Going through PotD on a lv 60 character will give you tomes for ilv 260 armor and if you upgrade the PotD gear enough you can get a ilv 255 weapon. Frontlines roulette gives 40 tomes per day and your ilv doesn't matter.

Finished 2.0. Those last couple missions were a fucking mess for a new player. Just vets running through that shit. I had to skip all the cutscenes to keep up, and even then there was a point where two of us got locked out of a boss fight 'cause we weren't quick enough.

Not sure how much I like 8 player dungeons. Have done a couple hard mode battles, and those were fun with 8 players, though. Just finished Ultima Hard. Shit was intense.

Finished 2.0. Those last couple missions were a fucking mess for a new player. Just vets running through that shit. I had to skip all the cutscenes to keep up, and even then there was a point where two of us got locked out of a boss fight 'cause we weren't quick enough.

Not sure how much I like 8 player dungeons. Have done a couple hard mode battles, and those were fun with 8 players, though. Just finished Ultima Hard. Shit was intense.

Last two dungeons of ARR 2.0 are like that.

Afterwards they learned that putting multiple long cutscenes in the middle of dungeons is a bad idea.

Omni

A8s is a complete mess, wow.

Mechanically it seems much harder than 12s. I suppose that goes to Midas as a whole. But still. Even in full i270 gear plus i275 weapons tonight we were wiping in there (first time going in, so it's expected, but yanno)

ebil

A8s is a complete mess, wow.

Mechanically it seems much harder than 12s. I suppose that goes to Midas as a whole. But still. Even in full i270 gear plus i275 weapons tonight we were wiping in there (first time going in, so it's expected, but yanno)
A8s is really hard, and still a bitch to farm consistently in i270. Healing is of course much easier and you can skip the first intermission with average DPS but there still are several wipe mechanics that you can't cheese with item level.

(Bonus mission: finish Brute Justice with 3+ stacks for that old school difficulty)

Elfstruck

So I'm confused. I just did POTD as lvl 44, and the experience reward is weird? For 1-10, I got 60k, 11-20 I got 84k, 21-30 = 50k. Wth?

Grudy

Thank you guys! I live in Oman in Middle East. Will see if Ultros is available or not.

I live in Dubai and you'll find it easier to get into Ultros during our afternoon times. I did join Ultros to play with Gaf but sadly most of my playtime have been solo for the most part :l I think I played for around 4 hours yesterday and don't think I've seen more than 6 or 7 people in the central and northern shrouds.

There is a small lag as I usually have 220-260 ping but it's not a big deal for PvE. But I am Considering moving to the EU server Odin or Phoenix just to meet more people while I'm questing and stuff.

Can I still be in the Gaf FC if I move to an EU data center?

Qvoth

There is a small lag as I usually have 220-260 ping but it's not a big deal for PvE. But I am Considering moving to the EU server Odin or Phoenix just to meet more people while I'm questing and stuff.

holy crap that's... pretty bad ping, i'd say end game fights could become unnecessarily hard
try checking your ping with arrstatus, but i'd advise you to try EU servers instead

Omni

I'm running with 200-300ms of ping (the perils of being Australian and playing on NA servers) and have cleared every fight in the game as a main healer, bar A8s. Just takes some adjusting. I wouldn't say it's unplayable or anything though. Puddles in 12s can be funky sometimes buuuut
probably just me being bad

Titan ex is the worst, maybe not so surprisingly. I'm not sure I could ever beat it sync'd without some serious practice to remember when landslides happen in advance

A8s is really hard, and still a bitch to farm consistently in i270. Healing is of course much easier and you can skip the first intermission with average DPS but there still are several wipe mechanics that you can't cheese with item level.

(Bonus mission: finish Brute Justice with 3+ stacks for that old school difficulty)
We only got to the first Brute Justice form after a lockout, haha. Not so much a healing or dps problem (skipping lots) but more so just trying to remember what the bosses in A6s do again after so long xD

Really want that tank coat for glamour. Gonna take a bit though aaaah

Grudy

holy crap that's... pretty bad ping, i'd say end game fights could become unnecessarily hard
try checking your ping with arrstatus, but i'd advise you to try EU servers instead

You eventually get used to it. Even at the EU servers the best ping I could hope for is 140-150. 120 if I'm lucky with the data-center location.

If it really starts affecting my game play in a major way that I can't clear content, I will move for sure.

Ken

I play at ~220 with WTFast. The real killer is dropped packets imo.

I have to dodge slightly earlier and accept that I can never do top DPS but other than that it's ok. I'd still love a West Coast data center though (that would drop my ping to ~150)!

Lanrutcon

I dunno how you could stomach 200+ ms ping, I play on 150 and I find certain jobs nigh unplayable already.

I cleared all the pre-HW extremes at 300 - 350 latency. You think you're pro? Pfft.

Took me something like 20 tries because there is absolutely no margin for error. So painful :(

These days I'm running at 170 though, and you pretty much have enough time to make a cup of tea before boss abilities go off. You dudes with sub 50 pings are playing easy mode. What do you do during raids? bring a good book? catch up on Game of Thrones?

I have to dodge slightly earlier and accept that I can never do top DPS but other than that it's ok. I'd still love a West Coast data center though (that would drop my ping to ~150)!

I think I'm playing at 120-150ish (west coast would make it higher)

My new internet has removed all the packet loss issues I had before so I don't need WTFast thankfully. It does have an effect on my gameplay tho. I can't use Raiton as Ninja (or at least I couldn't, not sure now) because it would clip GCD too much. Playing MCH is hard since I can't really squeeze in 2 oGCDs and using an oGCD during Rapid Fire clips into my GCD, and as a MNK Forbidden Chakra still clips into my GCD

it also makes it hard to play the game over remote play, since the input lag is significantly worse.

Playing on EU ping was so nice when I was on Lich. Bumped my DPS by about 100 during the first set of Alex raids, so now it would probably be an even bigger bump.

Grudy

WTFast always looked fishy to me, but I guess I should give it a try. You're right about the packet loss too, I have major problems with that in rocklet league specifically :l My ping would be fine at ~120 but I constantly lag all over the place. I'd gladly take a stable high ping than suffer through packet loss.

Getting packet loss while still using a VPN and on a wired connection was really infuriating. WTFast seems to have curbed that I think, I'd have to try out some endgame stuff to see if it is indeed fixed. The ISP's here in Colorado are just awful

WTFast always looked fishy to me, but I guess I should give it a try. You're right about the packet loss too, I have major problems with that in rocklet league specifically :l My ping would be fine at ~120 but I constantly lag all over the place. I'd gladly take a stable high ping than suffer through packet loss.

Essentially what WTFast does is just reroute your connection to the servers. It won't give you huge decreases in ping, but it'll bypass your ISP's shitty routing (especially in the evening when load is high) to give you a stable connection to the game servers.

If your ISP is like my old ISP where they'd use cheap routing options in the evening to further cut their costs (sacrificing your connection quality and speed) you're screwed anyway, but I don't think that's the norm.

So yeah if you're finding that you have bad packet loss issues it'll help a lot. Anyone that played with me on my old internet last year or in 2015 can tell you how bad mine was. It often delayed raid by hours when I was running with Haman and co. :(

Qvoth

i used wtfast when it's free, but not anymore so
wtzgU.gif

i highly recommend leatrix latency fix as well, if you guys don't have it then definitely check it out

They're the only two dungeons in the game like that. It's unfortunate that new players have to endure such a shitty experience for what should be a climactic point in the ARR story, but they have acknowledged that it was shitty game design and thankfully they have done nothing of the sort again.

I generally advise new players to either get a crew of FC or Linkshell friends to go with you into those two dungeons, or if you are using Duty Finder, to just kind of sit back and watch the cutscenes in your first run. Then in subsequent runs you can join in on the boss fights. It's not super ideal, but that's the reality of Castrum and Praetorium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom