• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

Interesting. I had never thought of it that way, but yes, the "moment-to-moment" decisions might be why I've managed to stick to SCH for so long as opposed to other / DPS classes. Maybe NIN / ROG has stuck with me because I like the atmosphere behind the class more than the others. I've also heard that they offer a lot of utility, but I have yet to see it outside of the occasional Goad.

Hmm, if that's the case, then maybe I should just stick to healing, dabble in SUM, or try tanking. The latter doesn't seem that interesting, though I'd like to experiment with Dark Knight at some point.

Thank you for the reply.

For what it's worth, their rotation is the closest to a decision tree of: Do I refresh Huton? Do I refresh Shadow Fang? Do I just hit for raw damage? Compared to, say, DRG which is one combo block into the next combo and repeating. They're slaves to their timers determining when they stop using Aeolian Edge for raw damage so it's a little more varied but not exactly truly flexible.

Utility wise, they have Trick Attack for group-wide +10% Damage but you won't see that until 50. Heavensward gave them aggro management stuff of gifting their threat to a target (aka, buffing tank threat by dumping yours to them during the duration) or just cutting someone's threat generation sharply. TA is mostly on cooldown use though it does have some fight dependent stuff you'd base using it on; threat management you can just use on cooldown as well but it's one of the more important super niche high end optimization points but that's more of a specific group thing rather than general use.

If you want DPS jobs that have reactionary moments, BRD and MCH tend to have more of that? But you won't really get a feel for that until basically at 60 so it's a hard sell if you're unsure. You can always get Palace of the Dead 51-60 access and just enter solo on those jobs and get a feel for some of the buttons at least and general flow I suppose.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
So I can get this on PS4 or PC, which one would be recommended? I know MMOs are normally PC centric but I wasn't sure if the console may be just as good. I also have a friend who may get this eventually, so if so got the PS4 version and he got the PC version, could we still play together? And how solo friendly is this game?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Watch them give MNK some form of Trick Attack or something so groups don't hate on poor MNK players and refuse to take them into raids
I heard in /sh that One Ilm Punch was "useless". Maybe that could be MNK's Trick Attack?

Moaradin

Didn't know people thought there was a problem with Monk. Don't they still do the most dps?

They do have some useless skills though. I hope the expansion does something with them, though I want it to be unique and not just the same buffs that Ninja or Drg gives.

scy

Watch them give MNK some form of Trick Attack or something so groups don't hate on poor MNK players and refuse to take them into raids

Without rebalancing DPS, this would be a pretty terrible thing all-in-all. I'm still unsure how serious the "refusing Monks" thing is that isn't about bad players that happen to be Monks.

Edit: Put another way, good players of anything will usually find a place. Monks are in the place of all of their value being tied to their performance since it's not like they have an "at least they provide X" attached to them.

Didn't know people thought there was a problem with Monk. Don't they still do the most dps?

Highest personal DPS, least melee contribution to total raid DPS. Creator is too easy for this to matter, really. And, honestly, it's mostly just Disembowel is really lopsided with only one source of it :|

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I'm honestly surprised you could spin to win Nael considering I know first-hand that she has a check which casts Enrage megaflare if for some reason she's unable to do her rotation for a period of time. I guess spinning negates even that! So that's a good trick.

Okay so monks. There's nothing really bad with monks, good monks can still output very respectable numbers. But there is a problem with monks and it's twofold. One is that fights in Creator aren't really designed for melee (you could say Refurbisher maybe but that's a joke fight). Putting a monk in a timegate is almost equivalent to just killing the monk and getting him ressurected. It's not like A4S where a monk would just sit on the dummy and do nothing but damage. Zurvan is decent for monks but not a whole lot. The second issue is that they don't contribute anything to buffing damage except for themselves (I'll ignore the booksmacks for the sake of the argument). In this game every damage buff is multiplicative which means that for maximum effectiveness you want to stack them together as much as possible. A well-rounded composition that buffs each other mathematically outweighs a bunch of randomly put together classes that are all maybe individually good (although 4 machinists is still the best, it's just that nobody will consider that a real parse on fflogs so nobody cares!). DRG buffs BRD/MCH and you want one of that in your group, BRD/MCH buff casters or physical or both, NINs buff everyone, WARs buff NIN and tanks and then of course AST. So you have two slots left free - a healer and a tank. Of course Creator is so undertuned you can take any comp into it and clear just fine, you can't fault people however for wanting to have less of a hassle while doing that.

Monk isn't a bad job. It's a combination of things that makes it less desirable but unless you're running for static killtime on FFlogs... who cares?

So I can get this on PS4 or PC, which one would be recommended? I know MMOs are normally PC centric but I wasn't sure if the console may be just as good. I also have a friend who may get this eventually, so if so got the PS4 version and he got the PC version, could we still play together? And how solo friendly is this game?
It's great on PS4!
Everybody plays o the same servers regardless of platform. Very solo friendly. Only requires parties occasionally during the story and then you just hit a button and it finds one for you pretty quickly.

Moaradin

They've been getting better at making fights that don't guarantee you losing your GL3 stacks. I can't think of any fights in Alexander where that happens 100%.

It was a lot worse in 2.0 where there were tons of fights where the boss just goes invincible or the phase transitions were too long. Plus we had no Form Shift.

Haly

I want Job specific limit breaks and this should be NIN's:

MvgJ0Ys.jpg

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Very solo friendly, matchmaking queues can drag a bit for dps though so might want to consider starting as a tank or healer to minimize matchmaking wait times.

Game uses shared servers so everyone plays with each other. While the game has text chat, there's no in game voice chat so if you decide to go the pc route and he goes PS4 you'll need a third party device/app like Discord to voice chat with each other.

As for which version to get, I'd go for PC. Both versions are pretty much the same, can't really think of one in game feature one version has over the other. Both even have full MKB and controller support. Graphically the PS4 version looks good, but it does have trouble staying at a locked frame rate in some of the highly populated areas in the over world. Loading times imo are also a tad too long when using the stock PS4 drive and if PSN is down you can't log into the game. The big thing that differentiates them though is that you can obviously multitask with stuff outside the game in the PC version. Being able to run discord, use db sites to look up gear/crafting/gathering data, copy and paste links from the in game chat box to a browser and vice versa, and run dps meters (game doesn't natively have one) all from the same device/screen you're playing on is convenient. On PS4 you'd have to use a phone for discord and to look up stuff quickly, but there's nothing you can do to copy paste links in game or check your damage numbers real time.

ViciousDS

Banned
It's MMO terminology for "what makes a class/job special and different from others".

No no no you said RIP class identity and was wondering why

Are they basically going back to like 1.0's cross class system before jobs? If so I'm out......I like clear cut roles

ebil

Are they basically going back to like 1.0's cross class system before jobs? If so I'm out......I like clear cut roles
No, they're doing additional skills by role. They want every tank to be able to get Provoke without having to level Gladiator, every healer to be able to get Swiftcast without having to level Thaumaturge etc.

It's a good thing.

Hey everyone, I'm still pre-Heavensward and have been almost primarily sticking to SCH--my first love (as I like healing and am still waiting for AST).

Recently, I've been playing some NIN on the side and really enjoying it. I like the atmosphere and the mechanics seem fun though I'm still at 33.

I feel like SCH has a pretty high skill ceiling when you really start pushing DPS, but is "fairly" easy to pilot in terms of raw healing (at level 38). My question is, does NIN reward technical play? Is there room to really get "good" at the class and shine, or is it just a fairly simple class with a lower skill ceiling? Right now, I'm usually 3rd on DPS in a Light Party--usually ahead of the healer and behind BLM. I think I want to spend a bit more time with NIN, but am NOT looking forward to leveling up LNC/DRG for B4B. : /
For what it's worth, NIN is the only melee DPS that effectively needs to adapt their combo chain if for one reason or another they're unable to hit a positional. Their personal buff maintenance timer gives them a lot of leeway to experiment, it's interesting. But as with all jobs, there isn't a ton of moment to moment decisions, it just happens to be a rather flexible job in that regard. You'll also want to kill yourself if you don't have a warrior, or have a bad one.

Pachimari

I was watching some Bless Online gameplay and I have to say I really like the look of the UI.

If SE were to rework some of the UI elements I'd like to see something similar to this:

Especially the life/mana/stamina bar:

I gotta agree that this looks much worse than what we got in FFXIV currently.

wamberz1

I love final heaven (that sound effect when it pops is sooooooo good) but my favorite lb has to be astral statis. I don't even play astro but that shit is so good.
Oh really? I guess I never had the privilege of seeing it.

Gotta steal the L3 break next time.

Alexander Story:
You are melee dps, claim that shit, it is your right!

Omni

Man this cross server PF is terrible

There's so much bad, I swear to god. I mean not everyone is some kind of MLG-pro-savage-raider but come on. Spending 40 minutes getting a single clear in a Sophia 'farm' party is just ridiculous. Especially with echo. I know it's not the PF itself. The idea is good. And it's nice to have more options. But there are just soooo many traps. I can't even remember the last time I joined a farm that went well or wasn't disbanded

I miss when you recognised everyone who joined and could filter out anyone that could be a problem. Now you're just left scrambling to look at FFLogs to see if someone is decent (Had to PF a DRG spot for our 9-12s clears a couple of weeks ago and we had guys joining that were doing 1400 dps max in all of their parses. Just no)

That sounds elitist but it's really burning me out. I don't mind helping people out but sometimes I just wanna get stuff done too

draw4wild

I've been thinking of coming back to this game, I haven't played since between the Ramuh and Shiva patch. Back then I played summoner and really enjoyed it but there's no way I'll remember how to play it so I'd probably level up a ninja or machinist.

Are dps queues still bad for roulettes? I remember quitting because it would take me 45min-1hr for any queue to pop(and I couldn't level my chocobo during this time)

Does anyone have any idea on how to download the patch for the Installer when returning to FFXIV? It's the "Unable to download patch files. [20512][25008][20495]" bullshit. I hear it deals with timing out or something. Could someone elaborate as to how to download this damn patch? I have already wasted a day trying different things and it's aggravating.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Does anyone have any idea on how to download the patch for the Installer when returning to FFXIV? It's the "Unable to download patch files. [20512][25008][20495]" bullshit. I hear it deals with timing out or something. Could someone elaborate as to how to download this damn patch? I have already wasted a day trying different things and it's aggravating.

Try switching DNS servers, that seems to have helped several people.

Hey, just to let you know that it would probably help some other poor souls if you added to the OP the solution to the patch download error on PS4. I had to switch my DNS server to one from Japan; specifically, this address: 221.186.113.106.

I was able to replicate its success a second time after I tried Google's DNS to speed up the download (which kept giving me failures still), so it should be reliable.

I don't know if it's pertinent, but I live in Canada.

cheers

Using a vpn is another solution that appears to work.
I've been thinking of coming back to this game, I haven't played since between the Ramuh and Shiva patch. Back then I played summoner and really enjoyed it but there's no way I'll remember how to play it so I'd probably level up a ninja or machinist.

Are dps queues still bad for roulettes? I remember quitting because it would take me 45min-1hr for any queue to pop(and I couldn't level my chocobo during this time)
Last patch tweaked chocobos so you can queue with them out now!

I haven't leveled a dps since 3.0 launch so not sure about roulette queues but I assume they're still not great, good news though is they added a new way to lv alts called Palace of the Dead. It ignores the standard party makeup so queues for it are great. Usually less than 5 mins to get in no matter what class you are or time of day.

Haly

Any recap on axelander lore?
3 years ago before the evens of HW:
A group of Auri use the Enigma Codex to summon Alexander. It goes wrong, and everyone in the group dies except for Mide.

Roundrix finds a piece of the shattered Enigma Codex.

Present HW:
Quickthinx Allthoughts is leader of the Illuminati and summons Alexander.

He has a book of prophecies that seemingly tells the future and whatever the Scions do he bends towards his plan.

He captures Roundrix to use as a medium to control Alexander, as Roundrix can read the Enigma Codex for some reason.

Scions bust in to the control room to save Roundrix. Roundrix tries to help Mide by sending Alexander back in time to rescue Mide's husbando.

They arrive back at the moment of summoning. Quickthinx's soldiers kill three of the Auri, while Mide's Husbando is nommed by Alexander. A troll cat knocks Backrix's journal out of his hands. Alexander returns to the present.

In the present Quickthinx reveals that time is constant, and cannot be changed. The Auri never actually summoned Alexander. It was the time traveling Alexander they saw that day, and the same Alexander Mide tried to "seal". It was all futile from the very start.

Later, in a confrontation with Quickthinx, troll cat knocks his book of prophecies out of his hands. The Scions retrieve it and Backrix identifies it as the journal troll cat knock out of his hands when they time traveled to 3 years ago.

Quickthinx was working off of Backrix's journal all this time and mistook it for a book of prophecies. Troll cat is the true master of time and space??? I haven't finished A12 yet but I'm looking forward to the reveal of troll cat's keikaku.

No i mean people were discussing class imbalances like some classes just being straight up more desirable than others and someone brought up homogenization which was a problem WoW struggled with for a while when everyone had access to everything and that was "RIP Class identity".

I was just being facetious and sardonic. I think Stormblood is, if I'm reading it right, doing away with classes entirely and just sticking with Jobs? I dunno, just speculah at this point.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I was watching some Bless Online gameplay and I have to say I really like the look of the UI.

If SE were to rework some of the UI elements I'd like to see something similar to this:

Especially the life/mana/stamina bar:

There's just something inherently awful about UI in every single Korean MMORPG. Is it unimaginative nondescript icons? Lack of outline on the font making it unreadable? Completely mismatching proportions of different elements? The answer is yes.

The healthbar is a good idea though, yeah.

I hate the Scholar one. Not only is it lame (a giant fairy, wat? I can't even see it zoomed out) I'm always waiting for it to fucking end so I can move again.

Every healer gets animation locked by their LB3.

3 years ago before the evens of HW:
A group of Auri use the Enigma Codex to summon Alexander. It goes wrong, and everyone in the group dies except for Mide.

Roundrix finds a piece of the shattered Enigma Codex.

Present HW:
Quickthinx Allthoughts is leader of the Illuminati and summons Alexander.

He has a book of prophecies that seemingly tells the future and whatever the Scions do he bends towards his plan.

He captures Roundrix to use as a medium to control Alexander, as Roundrix can read the Enigma Codex for some reason.

Scions bust in to the control room to save Roundrix. Roundrix tries to help Mide by sending Alexander back in time to rescue Mide's husbando.

They arrive back at the moment of summoning. Quickthinx's soldiers kill three of the Auri, while Mide's Husbando is nommed by Alexander. A troll cat knocks Backrix's journal out of his hands. Alexander returns to the present.

In the present Quickthinx reveals that time is constant, and cannot be changed. The Auri never actually summoned Alexander. It was the time traveling Alexander they saw that day, and the same Alexander Mide tried to "seal". It was all futile from the very start.

Later, in a confrontation with Quickthinx, troll cat knocks his book of prophecies out of his hands. The Scions retrieve it and Backrix identifies it as the journal troll cat knock out of his hands when they time traveled to 3 years ago.

Quickthinx was working off of Backrix's journal all this time and mistook it for a book of prophecies. Troll cat is the true master of time and space??? I haven't finished A12 yet but I'm looking forward to the reveal of troll cat's keikaku.

No i mean people were discussing class imbalances like some classes just being straight up more desirable than others and someone brought up homogenization which was a problem WoW struggled with for a while when everyone had access to everything and that was "RIP Class identity".

I was just being facetious and sardonic. I think Stormblood is, if I'm reading it right, doing away with classes entirely and just sticking with Jobs? I dunno, just speculah at this point.

New jobs will not have a base class just like the Heavensward jobs (DRK/MCH/AST).

I wouldn't worry too much about job identity. I'm pretty sure what Yoshi was referring to was in regards to what makes each job unique to play. When Stormblood comes out no doubt the exact same thing will happen, in regards to some saying one job is better than another, but only in regards to bleeding edge progression where you want every possible minute advantage you can get so whoever has the +damage buffs for others are probably going to be at the top.

But that doesn't really matter to the general playerbase. Just that the job is playable and can clear whatever it is that they're doing. All of my criticisms for Paladin have been levied at their playstyle which is what I hope gets addressed (if not then will switch).

Haly

New jobs will not have a base class just like the Heavensward jobs (DRK/MCH/AST).

I saw this recently: FFXIV - Revamped Battle System & Why They Are Abandoning Classes

And he puts forth a convincing argument. If there was ever a time to axe the class system, I think it would be with a new expansion. Considering that they're also consolidating "must have" cross class skills like Swiftcast, BfB, Provoke, etc, there is little if any reason for Classes to still exist except to avoid the work of overhauling all the class-specific content.

Bebpo

Banned
I don't even understand what that means. If someone was starting 2.0 for the first time and there were no classes would they just pick DPS/Tank/Healer?

What happens to all the 1-30 class questlines?

When they say get rid of classes do they mean keep jobs and kill classes only so this only effects 1-30? And cross-class skills?

scy

It most likely means 1-50 remains the same but more Gladiator becomes Paladin at 30 rather than needing to also level Conjurer to 15 and pulling cross-class skills from Conjurer + Marauder. "Removing classes" is more removing them as a special entity rather than them just being pre-Job things.

I don't even understand what that means. If someone was starting 2.0 for the first time and there were no classes would they just pick DPS/Tank/Healer?

What happens to all the 1-30 class questlines?

When they say get rid of classes do they mean keep jobs and kill classes only so this only effects 1-30? And cross-class skills?
Killing classes means not tying jobs to classes. Originally the idea for classes was for them to be like Arcanist that can turn into more than one job but that just isn't balanceable, which is why post HW jobs don't have classes, you start with the job right off the bat.

DarkKyo

So, is the current form of the Relic weapons the final stage/form of the weapon? Or will 3.5 part two have the final stage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom