• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkKyo

I know some weapons have dyeable glowing and pulsating parts to their textures, but do any weapons have dyeable particle effects yet? I'd be happy if the last step of Anima looked the same as the current ones but you could dye the color their particles put out.

aceface

I know some weapons have dyeable glowing and pulsating parts to their textures, but do any weapons have dyeable particle effects yet? I'd be happy if the last step of Anima looked the same as the current ones but you could dye the color their particles put out.

I remember the Gordian weapons from A4S you could dye the glow if that's what you mean. When you would dye it, the glow that it put off would also change to that color. It's not a super pronounced effect though.

ViciousDS

Banned
No, they're doing additional skills by role. They want every tank to be able to get Provoke without having to level Gladiator, every healer to be able to get Swiftcast without having to level Thaumaturge etc.

It's a good thing.

oh thank god

leveling dragoon just to even be viable asa bard is annoying

Meowster

What's the best way to level someone from 43 to 50? I'm trying to help a buddy of mine get to my level and we've tried some different things like doing duties and fate grinding in Northern Thanalan. I wasn't sure if the fate grinding is helpful when their level is still that low but figured it was worth a shot.

Ken

What's the best way to level someone from 43 to 50? I'm trying to help a buddy of mine get to my level and we've tried some different things like doing duties and fate grinding in Northern Thanalan. I wasn't sure if the fate grinding is helpful when their level is still that low but figured it was worth a shot.

potd, leveling roulette(s), leves while waiting for queue

idk how fate grinding is now but i remember it being ok when there's A LOT of people doing them quickly

Squishy3

potd, leveling roulette(s), leves while waiting for queue

idk how fate grinding is now but i remember it being ok when there's A LOT of people doing them quickly
yeah, it's good exp but nthan's dead since potd came out. rip gorgimera achievements

Anyone know if these weapons are attainable?
https://www.xivdb.com/item/17706/ultimum
https://www.xivdb.com/item/17716/shattered+heart
https://www.xivdb.com/item/17715/widowbreaker

Looks like they are the weapons that the Heavens' Ward use. I'm just confused as to why these models have entries as player character weapons. Would be really cool to get these for glamour.

Yeah, pretty sure I've seen those weapons (the Gladiator arm at least) obtainable from different vendors although I can't remember which ones.

I saw this recently: FFXIV - Revamped Battle System & Why They Are Abandoning Classes

And he puts forth a convincing argument. If there was ever a time to axe the class system, I think it would be with a new expansion. Considering that they're also consolidating "must have" cross class skills like Swiftcast, BfB, Provoke, etc, there is little if any reason for Classes to still exist except to avoid the work of overhauling all the class-specific content.

That's something I'm really interested to learn more about (hopefully next Saturday). How exactly are they going to simplify rotations and add new abilities at the same time?

There's the example of skill combos being condensed into one button but that's a melee only thing. What about casters or jobs that don't use skill combos?

I really hope they elaborate on this further next week.

kagamin

I really like Ravana's phase 1 theme, it's probably one of my favorites, if not my favorite, of all the primal themes honestly.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Talents would be the most obvious solution to "simplify rotations and add new stuff" dilemma but I can't see S-E doing this. It just doesn't mesh with FF at all, to my knowledge, and it would require a lot of work on every existing class.

brinstar

potd gives ridiculous exp, but if you wipe you don't get anything

ebil

Is Squares stance on Parsers still that it's ok to use if you don't harass people ingame with it?
Pretty much.

That's something I'm really interested to learn more about (hopefully next Saturday). How exactly are they going to simplify rotations and add new abilities at the same time?

There's the example of skill combos being condensed into one button but that's a melee only thing. What about casters or jobs that don't use skill combos?

I really hope they elaborate on this further next week.
They can go the WoW route and add a cooldown to a lot of skills, while consolidating some oGCDs. Most jobs don't need to have several buttons that amount to "deal X℅ more damage for Y seconds", and as buffs are multiplicative this is one of the biggest contributors to the skill difference between players who know their stuff and those who don't.

Like, they could take Rouse away while buffing Spur and it would remove button bloat without dramatically affecting SMN (I'm aware that this would be nerfing SCH's fairy as a side effect but that's probably happening too).

The second thing separating players is their uptime. While you can't magically fix a player's uptime, you can make it so having low uptime doesn't affect performance as dramatically (this is what auto-attacks are for), especially when it comes to maintaining timers. Yoshida already gave Enochian as an example of skills they're adjusting, although he was vague regarding their plans to reward great play, he just said they planned to.

Remember that he said difficulty would be about on par with level 60 rotations, what they're aiming to reduce is the gap between low-skill players and mid-skill players.

draw4wild

I'm patching the game now. It's taking forever since it keeps erring out on PS4. I have to server transfer once I get in to play with friends. What items should I search for to buy before I transfer since I have too much gil to take it all?

I'm patching the game now. It's taking forever since it keeps erring out on PS4. I have to server transfer once I get in to play with friends. What items should I search for to buy before I transfer since I have too much gil to take it all?
Get Allagan Platinum Pieces in your marketboard.

ebil

Oh, and DoTs. I want them to cut some DoTs. Not all DPS jobs need to have 2-3, it's perfectly fine to have one (hello MCH/BLM) or none.
They could also make DoTs function like most do in WoW, where refreshing them early adds to their duration (up to a certain amount). Not having to worry about clipping as much would serve to raise the skill floor.

There's plenty of stuff they could make to ease the game without changing our rotations too much.

No dice, only 5 available on the market board.....

It seems Tier V heavens' material or star velvet pieces would work, do they still sell with any regularity?
People are hoarding materias for Stormblood right now so even if you don't make your money back right away you'll get it back in the expac rush for crafted shit.

You can also see if you can get other Allagan pieces like the gold one

iammeiam

A lot of what to buy depends on relative server economies; it may be that you just have to eat some level of lost gil in the transfer if everything is cheaper on your destination. I just dumped all my money into gatherer gear when I transferred and started over from basically broke. Gil is super easy to earn now, though.

Oh, and DoTs. I want them to cut some DoTs. Not all DPS jobs need to have 2-3, it's perfectly fine to have one (hello MCH/BLM) or none.
They could also make DoTs function like most do in WoW, where refreshing them early adds to their duration (up to a certain amount). Not having to worry about clipping as much would serve to raise the skill floor.

There's plenty of stuff they could make to ease the game without changing our rotations too much.

IIRC, WoW also no longer snapshots DoTs, and I assume FFXIV would have to do the same if they made clipping DoTs extend the timer Contagion-style instead of rewrite the DoT IJ-style. Which would bother me because snapshotting is a pretty big deal for some jobs and is more of a skill ceiling thing than skill floor. Maybe split the difference and have it rewrite like IJ, but at the extended length instead of just base duration? Getting extended buffed DoTs out of snapshotting is a part of the current combat system I like and would be sad to see go.

I do think they need to address the CC oGCDs that also do damage--I'd like to see Blunt Arrow, Head Graze, Leg Sweep, Suppressive Fire, maybe even Repelling, etc lose their potency and just become CC/movement skills and then give everyone a low-damage oGCD on a shorter timer to compensate.

Just as long as nothing gets pruned as hard as WoW hit BM Hunter in Legion it should be fine.

ebil

A lot of what to buy depends on relative server economies; it may be that you just have to eat some level of lost gil in the transfer if everything is cheaper on your destination. I just dumped all my money into gatherer gear when I transferred and started over from basically broke. Gil is super easy to earn now, though.

IIRC, WoW also no longer snapshots DoTs
, and I assume FFXIV would have to do the same if they made clipping DoTs extend the timer Contagion-style instead of rewrite the DoT IJ-style. Which would bother me because snapshotting is a pretty big deal for some jobs and is more of a skill ceiling thing than skill floor. Maybe split the difference and have it rewrite like IJ, but at the extended length instead of just base duration? Getting extended buffed DoTs out of snapshotting is a part of the current combat system I like and would be sad to see go.

I do think they need to address the CC oGCDs that also do damage--I'd like to see Blunt Arrow, Head Graze, Leg Sweep, Suppressive Fire, maybe even Repelling, etc lose their potency and just become CC/movement skills and then give everyone a low-damage oGCD on a shorter timer to compensate.

Just as long as nothing gets pruned as hard as WoW hit BM Hunter in Legion it should be fine.
Depends on the DoTs, some of them snapshot (IIRC DH's Bloodlet still does with Momentum but it might have been nerfed again because things move fast in that game and I'm not even sure that specific build is still used much) but most don't. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ WoW isn't always the most consistent game around.

I agree with you about the CC oGCDs. I always thought tying damage to all of them was a pretty bad idea. But I guess I'm pretty biased as I do want CC and interrupts to become more important than they currently are.

scy

Off-hand, Bloodlet doesn't Snapshot per se so much as it deals damage based on the initial damage hit. The only proper snapshot mechanic on DoTs I think is Feral and that's their actual DPS gimmick.

The only worry I have on this is how much they'll touch actual job skills from quests. Like, can they go and rework some as traits? Outright remove some? I'd love for them to prune out useless skills but I don't know how willing they are at interrupting the 1-60 process, especially with how lopsided some jobs are vs others for useful quest skills.

Lifting the floor for everyone should be the eventual outcome of the changes but I must admit I'm still a little unsure how much the gap closes even with that unless there's a pretty severe lowering of the skill ceiling alongside it.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
They could probably remove DRG's phlebotomise without really impacting the class's mechanical complexity too much but I hope whatever they're doing with the UI allows them to differentiation everyone's greased lightning-analogue a bit more? Like I don't really care about 'class identity' or homogenisation too much if everyone at least plays differently but going a little more into DRG using BOTD as a pseudo-energy bar with focusing more on uptime on MNKs would be cool. Then BLMs Enochian can differentiate itself by, I dunno, some tug of war ice/fire bar (I don't know how ranged work leave me alone).

Also give DRGs a combo point system and let them dual wield spears, thanks in advance. And give them swirly-ball.

ebil

The only worry I have on this is how much they'll touch actual job skills from quests. Like, can they go and rework some as traits? Outright remove some? I'd love for them to prune out useless skills but I don't know how willing they are at interrupting the 1-60 process, especially with how lopsided some jobs are vs others for useful quest skills.
To be honest I don't think we'll see a ton of changes to job skills we get from quests in 4.0 (do we get One-Ilm Punch from a quest?) but I do think they're trying to future-proof that issue by giving us some of the new skills by leveling up instead of trying to always tie the skills to whatever quest we just did, so it at least indicates that they're aware of the job quest skills issue.

And well, we're all concerned about skill ceiling but removing redundant skills and simplifying mechanics can leave room for growth elsewhere, too. New skills or job mechanics can become the de facto challenge (as opposed to maintaining several DoTs or stacking all your buffs) and when suddenly you don't have to take your BLM losing Enochian into account all the time it allows for a slightly less rigid encounter design, which can lead to more challenge too.

Hopefully we get more info before the press get their hands on 4.0 for previews because I'm very curious about all of this.

Haly

As a NIN, this is what I'd like to see pruned:

Smoke Screen
Shadewalker
Assasinate
Goad
Sneak Attack (no one uses hide seriously)
Kiss of the Viper (replace BfB as a cooldown?)
Kiss of the Wasp (replace Internal release as a cooldown?)
Jugulate (rolled into Mug)
Shade Shift

Furthermore I'd like Duality to be turned into a DPS cooldown, summoning a shadow clone that copies your attacks for X seconds.

Dream Within A Dream is also extremely lackluster for what is a class ending skill but eh whatever.

One Ilm Punch is a quest reward, yeah.
As a NIN, this is what I'd like to see pruned:

Smoke Screen
Shadewalker
Assasinate
Goad

Sneak Attack (no one uses hide seriously)
Kiss of the Viper (replace BfB as a cooldown?)
Kiss of the Wasp (replace Internal release as a cooldown?)
Jugulate (rolled into Mug)
Shade Shift
What the fuck, these are some of the best abilities NIN has

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I hope when they inevitably prune One-Ilm Punch that they add it back in as a PVP-only ability as removing SCH/SMN stacks is too fun.

Squishy3

ok let's remove all the things that just further add to nin's utility in a raid group on top of trick attack

ninja is one of the best examples of a unique job because they provide so many things (threat management, tp restore, can switch between stun/silence with poisons)

granted it's to the detriment of a class like monk who only brings dragon kick and traited mantra (as far as static recruitment goes, nobody recruits for a monk)

Squishy3

It's not NIN's fault MNK is a shite job.
Yeah but if they don't change it in Stormblood it's the same thing as removing it from the game.

Square needs to give them actual utility in Stormblood (also probably change purification so you can actually use it in 8man content)

kagamin

I'm glad that I'm part of a Free Company, otherwise by what you guys are saying I'd never get a party for end game content, I will play Monk forever.

scy

To be honest I don't think we'll see a ton of changes to job skills we get from quests in 4.0 (do we get One-Ilm Punch from a quest?) but I do think they're trying to future-proof that issue by giving us some of the new skills by leveling up instead of trying to always tie the skills to whatever quest we just did, so it at least indicates that they're aware of the job quest skills issue.

Yeah, I sort of figure we won't see much here despite ... well, it being where most the bloat can be removed. Honestly a lot of skills could have been traits of other things instead.

And well, we're all concerned about skill ceiling but removing redundant skills and simplifying mechanics can leave room for growth elsewhere, too. New skills or job mechanics can become the de facto challenge (as opposed to maintaining several DoTs or stacking all your buffs) and when suddenly you don't have to take your BLM losing Enochian into account all the time it allows for a slightly less rigid encounter design, which can lead to more challenge too.

I don't mind the skill ceiling dropping a little, though I'd argue most of the skill ceiling is pretty low until we get to the extreme points of min/max. It's more a commentary on how much will raising the floor really do to help the average player? Since I think they want to keep things closer to current complexities despite adding more things and the current state of things being what it is. I do hope they dump most the staggered DoTs, buffs, etc. to it's fewer total different skills to hit but at least increases the value of the ones you still have, though. I'm not against lowering the ceiling a bit, especially if it's dropping some of the more esoteric min/max angles, if it actually does lend itself to shrinking the player skill delta.

Adding on to Scything's point on this, hopefully giving more visual feedback on the buffs vs watching a timer on a buffbar will do a lot for people. Easier to track but also a good spot to inject flavor into the jobs. And, yeah, getting more and more into less about keeping up buffs and so-on but more about maximizing what people are doing is a far more engaging thing in general. Penalized heavily for rotation mistakes feels pretty bad; nobody likes pauper rotations.

Hopefully we get more info before the press get their hands on 4.0 for previews because I'm very curious about all of this.

Definitely. I want to see what they have in mind for it since so far it sounds like them giving us easier ways to approach it and easier ways to track everything. I just hope it's enough to get more of the playerbase involved, I guess?

I'm just really stubborn about playing what I think is cool, whether or not people think it's good I guess. :p

It doesn't really matter for this tier since it's basically easy enough to not matter. It's just this awkward spot of Monk (and casters, at this point) are selfish DPS that don't help anyone else. But good players will tend to find spots, it's just usually off the back of their own performance and not what they provide. An amazing Monk is a thing but a DRG or NIN that's 75% as effective is still better than them in the end.

Squishy3

It's not that you won't get a party for endgame stuff but you'll have a harder time finding one.

I'm just really stubborn about playing what I think is cool, whether or not people think it's good I guess. :p
Yeah, what we're talking about only matters for static recruitment for Savage stuff. (PF listings, etc. Nobody's going to be looking for a Monk in particular) You can find a group for anything that isn't Savage really easily as a Monk, since it doesn't really matter.

I'd say SMN isn't entirely thrown out the window, since they have traited virus and eye for an eye, plus a battle res. BLM doesn't really have much though since they're the monk of casters.

Haly

I think Trick attack is reason enough to bring NIN to a raiding environment, though I'm not a advanced raider so I can't say for certain? Do I really need to dedicate 5 binds to buttons I'll press once in a blue moon and only in the context of hardcore progression?

If I recall correclty that's the idea, innit? Decrease the skill floor on job management but go crazier with mechanics since they don't have to worry about people fumbling their rotations.
I think Trick attack is reason enough to bring NIN to a raiding environment, though I'm not a advanced raider so I can't say for certain? Do I really need to dedicate 5 binds to buttons I'll press once in a blue moon and only in the context of hardcore progression?
None of those are used once in a blue moon, they're used constantly in normal progression. People bring NIN along not just because of TA, but because enmity skills allows the MT and healers to go crazier with their damage.

Remove that and people will ditch NIN and DRK almost instantly.

wamberz1

Quick question. What is considered "good" dps, and what is "bad" numbers wise? Like, lets say I were to play dragoon, what would be considered "average" in current savage?

scy

I'd say SMN isn't entirely thrown out the window, since they have traited virus and eye for an eye, plus a battle res. BLM doesn't really have much though since they're the monk of casters.

Traited Virus only really matters if there's enough raid wide AoE that is 70s apart (due to the debuff!) or there's no SCH. Even then, the scariest AoE in the tier is probably Holy Bleed which is cast by an off-screen target so you can't Virus that D: For the most part, SMN is useful progression utility for AoEs and BLM at least has Apoc if there's need for it on single-target busters. But it's still defensive utility in a game design that doesn't have a lot of need for it.

If I recall correclty that's the idea, innit? Decrease the skill floor on job management but go crazier with mechanics since they don't have to worry about people fumbling their rotations.

My asshole nature rears it's head here since most my concern with the changes is ... well, if they'll be enough to bring the playerbase up. I think most the general rotations aren't too bad so I'm stuck on the side of expecting easing up rotations will still mean half-assed rotations :( It's this weird spot of just "I wonder if it's enough, I want more people to be getting to the do the content" and "Stop being a dick."

Quick question. What is considered "good" dps, and what is "bad" numbers wise? Like, lets say I were to play dragoon, what would be considered "average" in current savage?

If all else fails, you can go to FFLogs and find the 50th Percentile mark. It's skewed a bit since the tier is so late that a lot of trickle down of gear is there, but then there's also full blown carries so it's still generally a safe range of numbers to look at. Generally speaking, I just view it as results week to week and anything sub-50th as a need to improve and post-50th as striving to be better, if that makes sense? I'm never comfortable with my performance but at least try to keep it level headed a bit.

There's also the whole padding issue of A9S (aka, letting one person kill most of the adds for maximum boosting their DPS) or Faust Z kill timers wildly inflating DPS so comparing some fights is a little lopsided as hell. A10S-A12S is a little less gamed to that level so the averages of around 2k (slightly lower for A11S but this is also a huge function of kill time due to invuln mechanics you can skip) is a fairly safe spot.

Depends on the job, depends on the instance, depends on the party comp, etc. It's hard to give you a definite number, average DPS will vary wildly from one boss to another.

aceface

Yeah, what we're talking about only matters for static recruitment for Savage stuff. (PF listings, etc. Nobody's going to be looking for a Monk in particular) You can find a group for anything that isn't Savage really easily as a Monk, since it doesn't really matter.

You know who would take a monk to savage: ME that's right, I'll take any two dps (except BLM) play what you love and come join my raid group! If you are on the primal data center PM me if interested!

ebil

It's pretty sad if you're pressing Goad and Shadewalker once in a blue moon. :( They're very useful skills in all content, from simple dungeons, to normal mode raids to progression. I love the amount of utility I have as NIN and I don't want any less. I would like it a lot more if they made Hide, Sneak Attack and Mug semi-useful, I'll give you that.

wamberz1

Thanks for the info guys. Was just curios.

Wait, did they remove the limit on getting 250 alexandrian gear? cause if so then ho boy have I been wasting my time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom