• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
BvMo7mH.jpg

We had a PF group that said they would lootmaster and first bird was reserved. It never filled.

Redx508

Dun Scaith run for reset day at 9pm EST no inv list this week going make a locked PF and post the code in fc chat when is time

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm not up to that step yet but Aether Oil is pretty expensive. You're commonly advised to do the weekly Gift of the Archmagus quest instead, although that requires you to go through a few 2.x raids which might not be simple to do.

I'm currently on the UnID step and this is my "shopping list" so to speak:

Shells and Seeds with Poetics
Bones and Ore with Amaljaa and Kobolds
Save Lore for Umbrite
80,000 Grand Company seals for crafted stuff

I'm also using lore for the 230 set.

Omni

I'm almost half way through the umbrite stage for my second relic.

Just been taking this one kinda chill. Only doing it so I have a nice DRK weapon at the end of it. I wish they had nerfed this step though. I wanna get it done before everyone stops light farming A1s

I'm not up to that step yet but Aether Oil is pretty expensive. You're commonly advised to do the weekly Gift of the Archmagus quest instead, although that requires you to go through a few 2.x raids which might not be simple to do.

I'm currently on the UnID step and this is my "shopping list" so to speak:

Shells and Seeds with Poetics
Bones and Ore with Amaljaa and Kobolds
Save Lore for Umbrite
80,000 Grand Company seals for crafted stuff

I'm also using lore for the 230 set.

Yeah I need to do that weekly still. I don't have any of the beast tribe stuff leveled but I guess I can just use poetics/lore for that.

Aether oil is very easy. It is umbrite that you should wait to pick up until the nerf @vanilla

So it might be okay to splurge with the lore on the earlier steps then? I'm not trying to get this as soon as possible. I don't mind if it takes a bit of time. I already get lore and stuff just from normal roulettes so I'm getting it anyway without specifically farming for it.

So it might be okay to splurge with the lore on the earlier steps then? I'm not trying to get this as soon as possible. I don't mind if it takes a bit of time. I already get lore and stuff just from normal roulettes so I'm getting it anyway without specifically farming for it.

Yeah, for the aether oil? You can buy a few and then do the weekly CT quest if you want to minimize your lore spending. For the umbrite I wouldn't really bother spending on it when a nerf is right around the corner. You need 80 and you can minimize that to about 60 if you're lucky but the max you need will always be 80 if you are not lucky. It is a hell of a time sink if you don't have bonus friends and such.

walei

LOL the most ridiculous one I saw was just a ilvl 270 requirement.

Anyways I finally beat it last night yay!! After three more groups of clear party that couldn't get to tether I finally found one that looked promising. We got to second soar every time but there is always one person screwing up and wipe the party. That person left and we refilled and beat it in two more tries.

We were so happy that none of us wanted to leave the arena lol. Mechanics wise Zurvan isn't really that hard but the unforgiving nature of punishing mistakes made it the second hardest primal for me behind Thordan.

Haly

Yeah I need to do that weekly still. I don't have any of the beast tribe stuff leveled but I guess I can just use poetics/lore for that.

Use this chart to figure out how you want to get your mats. Since you don't have the beast tribes you should probably forget it as the beast tribe grind itself will take you... I dunno 2+ weeks? Just to get to the point where you get the quests that give you the right currency.

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Category:Anima_Weapons#Step_3:_Coming_into_Its_Own_.28Grind.29

You can however do Moogle, Vanu and Vath quests since all their dailies give the appropriate tribe token.

LOL the most ridiculous one I saw was just a ilvl 270 requirement.

Anyways I finally beat it last night yay!! After three more groups of clear party that couldn't get to tether I finally found one that looked promising. We got to second soar every time but there is always one person screwing up and wipe the party. That person left and we refilled and beat it in two more tries.

Dont forget to tell the tank to lb the 2nd soar cause scrubs can't do it! Also, grats... I know the struggle. Have fun farming the bird like I did xD

walei

Dont forget to tell the tank to lb the 2nd soar cause scrubs can't do it! Also, grats... I know the struggle. Have fun farming the bird like I did xD

That's what we did, but then people would get SLOPPEH and die in the next tether or Southern Cross.

I'm amazed that there are people out there with 200+ Demon Totems when I struggled so much for a clear. I just want my weapon...and leave the bird for 4.0 when the trial becomes scrub tier unsynced.

Haly

I used to think tanks had the harder job but now I feel it's the healers.

Or rather more stressful. Since the tank isn't expected to clean up after the DPS but the healer is.

Also FFXIV expects healers to DPS as well
crazy.gif

Use this chart to figure out how you want to get your mats. Since you don't have the beast tribes you should probably forget it as the beast tribe grind itself will take you... I dunno 2+ weeks? Just to get to the point where you get the quests that give you the right currency.

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Category:Anima_Weapons#Step_3:_Coming_into_Its_Own_.28Grind.29

You can however do Moogle, Vanu and Vath quests since all their dailies give the appropriate tribe token.

Yeah, I'm probably going to dump my poetics/lore into this and maybe the HW beast tribe stuff then just do the CT weekly for the oils.

Or rather more stressful. Since the tank isn't expected to clean up after the DPS but the healer is.

crazy.gif

DPSing as a healer isn't that bad in this game. There are times where nothing will be happening and if you're not DPSing then you're just standing there waiting for a HP bar to go down by 10% or so so you can heal it up.

It's relative to the fight, if people are dropping left and right naturally you won't have time or MP to DPS. But if no one needs healing and you have a lot of MP then might as well. Also WHM has some cool damage spell effects.

Meowster

Damn. I'm addicted to this game. I've powered through all of the post game patches and am on patch 2.55 now, so I am almost at Heavensward. I've been enjoying the storyline here with all of shenanigans going on with Teledji Adeleji and the return of all the different primals. Also - now I know why everyone has been talking about the music because some of those trial songs are incredible. The music in Snowcloak was quite beautiful too. Time to take a couple of days off and give my buddy some time to level up so we can start Heavensward together.

Spoilers for Heavensward:

I feel bad for Teledji and Raubahn in HW, that whole Ul'dah storyline was treated like shit and just a side-story and pushed way off to the side and suddenly resolved with such an anti-climactic and disappointing ending. After all the buildup to the betrayal and Raubahn getting his arm cut off and the Sultana getting poisoned, the conclusion was such garbage. If they didn't feel like they were able to manage both the Dragonsong War story and the Ul'dah story adequately in the main HW campaign, they should have just pushed the Ul'dah story out to the post-HW story patches instead of cramming it in between the Dragonsong War events and doing it literally no justice whatsoever.

walei

I feel bad for Teledji and Raubahn in HW, that whole Ul'dah storyline was treated like shit and just a side-story and pushed way off to the side and suddenly resolved with such an anti-climactic and disappointing ending. After all the buildup to the betrayal and Raubahn getting his arm cut off and the Sultana getting poisoned, the conclusion was such garbage. If they didn't feel like they were able to manage both the Dragonsong War story and the Ul'dah story adequately in the main HW campaign, they should have just pushed the Ul'dah story out to the post-HW story patches instead of cramming it in between the Dragonsong War events and doing it literally no justice whatsoever.

I agree with you... I thought Dragonsong war ended a little too abruptly and hope they spent more time adding more to Ishgarde lore (I love Ishgarde!). Warrior of Darkness story line felt unnecessary to the overall arc and maybe add the Ul'Dah event to the lead up of Stormblood.

On a totally different topic, anyone a little bothered with the naming of Warring Triad Weapons? Sophic, Zurvanite... and of the Sephirot? Maybe they can rename it to... Sephirotian or something.

Despite my dislike for the simplicity of PLD (the bad kind of simplicity) I still gravitate to that sword and board style more than WAR and DRK's styles despite them having better playstyles.

Stormblood is going to be my chance to cut myself loose of PLD if they don't fix it (make it fun and interesting).

If the next job is a tank I'm definitely going to look into making that my new main job. Since I've already had a lot of time with the 3 current tanks making a completely new one my main should be interesting.

I can only hope they aren't worse than PLD somehow which is a possibility.

What annoys me the most about the whole Crystal Braves story line is that we never got to kill that smug-ass Lalafell. Easily my most hated character and I don't think he even had more than one line of dialogue.

Thorgal

What annoys me the most about the whole Crystal Braves story line is that we never got to kill that smug-ass Lalafell. Easily my most hated character and I don't think he even had more than one line of dialogue.

not yet at least.
As far as we know yuyuhase and Laurentius where not killed at baelsaer's wall

ebil

"Why did you let me die?
*Checks ACT*
- Dude, you took 48k damage, try using your CD a little bit earlier?
- yes but I wasn't topped off!"

Me and my warrior forever.

crazy.gif
Most of the time, healers aren't being held accountable for their DPS at all. DPSing as a healer is not difficult and as long as they're trying instead of bunny hopping it's more than enough for most people.

Optimizing DPS from both healers in a raid environment can be pretty difficult though, but as both healers get used to playing with each other it comes naturally.

It's true that healers deal with the most shit overall (which can be stressful) but they're the best role if you want to carry in FF14. I'll miss maining the role in Stormblood for this reason.

Just healing all the time as a healer gets boring, I like to dps as much as I can. The problem is a lot of the tanks take on more than they can chew, stand in all the aoe's or refuse to use a cooldown so I kinda have to just sit there and be healbot *sighs*

When playing as tank, getting those healers that don't start healing until you get to 20 percent health can be a tad nerve wracking but as long as I don't die, I'm fine. The healers that just stand around while I'm at full health and with a defensive buff up (And others ready to be popped when needed), that's usually me telling the healer to please dps. A lot don't though

My list of potential mains in Stormblood;

Neo Paladin
Samurai (if announced)
Dancer/Bladedancer (if announced)

If those two aren't announced I'm not sure what else they could put in the game that would be enough to pull me away from the sword and board style despite FFXIV's iteration of it being lacking (and potentially so in Stormblood depending on the extent of the changes).

Just healing all the time as a healer gets boring, I like to dps as much as I can. The problem is a lot of the tanks take on more than they can chew, stand in all the aoe's or refuse to use a cooldown so I kinda have to just sit there and be healbot *sighs*

When playing as tank, getting those healers that don't start healing until you get to 20 percent health can be a tad nerve wracking but as long as I don't die, I'm fine. The healers that just stand around while I'm at full health and with a defensive buff up (And others ready to be popped when needed), that's usually me telling the healer to please dps. A lot don't though

I immediately frown when healers let me go down to 10-20% HP only because I don't trust them because it's DF.

I am pleasantly surprised when I get hit by a Benediction or something before I die though. At that point I know they can do it so I don't worry anymore for the rest of the run.

As a healer I always DPS when I can. Things just go so much faster when everyone is doing AOE damage in large groups.

I think one of the changes they need to make to bring Paladin in line with the other tanks lies with its damage stance.

When you look at Warrior and Dark Knight's damage stances, they both allow you to do something you couldn't do before.

Warrior's Deliverance lets you build stacks and increases your damage by 5% which is nice but not the main reason why it's good. It comes from the fact that it allows you to use Fell Cleave and Decimate, two abilities that you couldn't use while in Defiance.

Against single targets you can now do the triple Fell Cleave combo. With Berserk/Internal Release/Infuriate you can do one of the most satisfying combos to perform when it comes to tanks, even more when all 3 Fell Cleave's crit.

For AOE you can now combine it with Berserk/Internal Release/Bloodbath/Infuriate to not only deal/heal more damage than you did without the stance on but you can now add Decimate in there for a ton of damage, and you can now use Overpower for longer because Equilibrium restores TP when you're in Deliverance.

There are direct and satisfying to perform incentives for wanting to change to Deliverance besides the obvious fact that you'll do more damage just by having it on versus Defiance.

For Dark Knight Darkside changes how they play significantly because it is required to use key abilities (Dark Arts/Dark Passenger/Dark Dance/Dark Mind) and necessitates the management of mana that is constantly drained by Darkside.

Darkside can be used in conjunction with Grit but the reason you want to drop it is not just for getting rid of Grit's -20% damage penalty but because it lets you use Blood Weapon which is an extremely important skill for Dark Knight. It's where the pace of Dark Knight increases significantly, the increased mana gain on every hit while under Blood Weapon and the increased attack speed lets you get a ton of Dark Arts infused attacks out while it's up. It's really satisfying to fire off a bunch of GCDs/oGCDs in a short period of time while this is up for a ton of damage.

So there's clear gameplay incentives to use Warrior and Dark Knight's damage stances. They let you do satisfying things that you can't do just by sitting in their respective tank stances.

So what does Paladin's damage stance let you do that you couldn't do before?

You get to see if you can spot the added potency to your auto attack.

That's about it.

No new moves, no new specific combos, no nothing. Just an extremely bland potency increase on something that you're likely to miss in the chaos and on-screen numbers because it acts off of something that doesn't require your input (autoattack).

Heavensward didn't fix this, so now I'm looking at Stormblood. If they don't address this with their changes to Paladin, I think it's a good sign that it's not going to be worth leveling to 70 to find out if it's now fun. Paladin players need something satisfying to perform to look forward to when switching to Sword Oath.

BLCKATK

I think one of the changes they need to make to bring Paladin in line with the other tanks lies with its damage stance.

When you look at Warrior and Dark Knight's damage stances, they both allow you to do something you couldn't do before.

Warrior's Deliverance lets you build stacks and increases your damage by 5% which is nice but not the main reason why it's good. It comes from the fact that it allows you to use Fell Cleave and Decimate, two abilities that you couldn't use while in Defiance.

Against single targets you can now do the triple Fell Cleave combo. With Berserk/Internal Release/Infuriate you can do one of the most satisfying combos to perform when it comes to tanks, even more when all 3 Fell Cleave's crit.

For AOE you can now combine it with Berserk/Internal Release/Bloodbath/Infuriate to not only deal/heal more damage than you did without the stance on but you can now add Decimate in there for a ton of damage, and you can now use Overpower for longer because Equilibrium restores TP when you're in Deliverance.

There are direct and satisfying to perform incentives for wanting to change to Deliverance besides the obvious fact that you'll do more damage just by having it on versus Defiance.

For Dark Knight Darkside changes how they play significantly because it is required to use key abilities (Dark Arts/Dark Passenger/Dark Dance/Dark Mind) and necessitates the management of mana that is constantly drained by Darkside.

Darkside can be used in conjunction with Grit but the reason you want to drop it is not just for getting rid of Grit's -20% damage penalty but because it lets you use Blood Weapon which is an extremely important skill for Dark Knight. It's where the pace of Dark Knight increases significantly, the increased mana gain on every hit while under Blood Weapon and the increased attack speed lets you get a ton of Dark Arts infused attacks out while it's up. It's really satisfying to fire off a bunch of GCDs/oGCDs in a short period of time while this is up for a ton of damage.

So there's clear gameplay incentives to use Warrior and Dark Knight's damage stances. They let you do satisfying things that you can't do just by sitting in their respective tank stances.

So what does Paladin's damage stance let you do that you couldn't do before?

You get to see if you can spot the added potency to your auto attack.

That's about it.

No new moves, no new specific combos, no nothing. Just an extremely bland potency increase on something that you're likely to miss in the chaos and on-screen numbers because it acts off of something that doesn't require your input (autoattack).

Heavensward didn't fix this, so now I'm looking at Stormblood. If they don't address this with their changes to Paladin, I think it's a good sign that it's not going to be worth leveling to 70 to find out if it's now fun. Paladin players need something satisfying to perform to look forward to when switching to Sword Oath.

You bring up a lot of good points.

Personally I would rather prefer them put more emphasis on its signature trait, which in my opinion is Blocking. So I'd love if Shield Oath actually interacted more with that. Sheltron was a nice step. I would love in Shield Swipe had a combo, or just an improved Shield Swipe would be great overall. It's better than ARR, but still kind of lame.

Also if Paladin had some better raid utility that'd be excellent. Leave the damage to Warrior (and to a lesser extent DRK). Paladin should be the tank about taking minimal damage from physical hits, and supporting the raid. As of right now it has Divine Veil which is cool and Clemency, which aren't too useful right now in the end. Less situational stuff and more abilities that actually have real applications.

Bebpo

Banned
I've got bard and nin left myself but can't find the fun in either class. Maybe I'll try POTD to judge.

NIN is my first job to 50 and the rotation is a lot of fun. What aren't you finding fun? The mudra stuff is good, especially after you the three elements and trick attack 10%+ damage for the entire party on an enemy is fun and damaging. Since you have Lancer, that and B4B is great damage.

The only thing I find boring as a NIN is trash mobs. Huton -> Doton AoE circle on the ground -> Kassatsu -> Katan -> Just stand in place throwing zzz knives down for 20 seconds -> Katan. repeat the last steps over and over zzz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom