• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayhawk

Irrelevant since new stuff is out next week. Going full crafted.

You do know you should be melding the new crafted gear next week if you actually want the benefit of crafted gear. You haven't melded stuff in months, like when I was still playing you had empty slots! Melding too hard.

Celcius

°Temp. member
You're not anywhere close to where the story is right now.

I should mention that Heavensward is better than ARR so it's something you should look forward to experiencing.

Someone mentioned ARR having like an hour long ending... I'm guessing Heavensward starts after that, but sounds like I have a long way to go before I even finish ARR.
For those who have finished Heavensward, how many hours do you have of playtime?

Someone mentioned ARR having like an hour long ending... I'm guessing Heavensward starts after that, but sounds like I have a long way to go before I even finish ARR.
For those who have finished Heavensward, how many hours do you have of playtime?
Took me roughly 150 hours to finish ARR and up to the end of the first HW storyline, IIRC.

It's really hard to say how long ARR or Heavensward is because every 3 months they added more main story quests until HS came out and they're doing the same now after HS. Main Scenario Quest timeline goes like this: A Realm Reborn (main game) -> Seventh Astral Era (free patch content) -> Heavensward (expansion) -> Dragonsong (free patch content)

The best way to gauge where you are currently is to look where you are in the main quest line. Here is a list of all those quests for each story line:
A Realm Reborn
Seventh Astral Era
Heavensward
Dragonsong

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
You do know you should be melding the new crafted gear next week if you actually want the benefit of crafted gear. You haven't melded stuff in months, like when I was still playing you had empty slots! Melding too hard.

The crafted gear I had at the start of 3.2 was pentamelded tho...

Celcius

°Temp. member
Took me roughly 150 hours to finish ARR and up to the end of the first HW storyline, IIRC.

It's really hard to say how long ARR or Heavensward is because every 3 months they added more main story quests until HS came out and they're doing the same now after HS. My memory is poor on this, but I'm pretty sure it was A Realm Reborn (main game) -> Seventh Astral Era (free patch content) -> Heavensward (expansion) -> Dragonsong (free patch content)

The best way to gauge where you are currently is to look where you are in the main quest line. Here is a list of all those quests for each story line:
A Realm Reborn
Seventh Astral Era
Heavensward
Dragonsong

Thanks for the info guys!
Wow, 150 hours is almost discouraging lol. I guess with an MMO I should concentrate less on "beating" the game and just continue to have fun.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Wow, 150 hours is almost discouraging lol. I guess with an MMO I should concentrate less on "beating" the game and just continue to have fun.

The story is needed, because without it you can't access Heavensward areas. You have to get to the Heavensward storyline to open up those new areas.

That being said, you don't need to worry about that till you start nearing level 50.

Just focus on proceeding through the story because there's quite a bit of it.

I personally like the amount of story based content there is.

And there's even more to come with next week's patch then the new expansion which will probably have some more story patches leading up to it.

Chille

Just focus on proceeding through the story because there's quite a bit of it.

I personally like the amount of story based content there is.

And there's even more to come with next week's patch then the new expansion which will probably have some more story patches leading up to it.

You won't need to beat heavenward for the next expansion.

I wonder if the early expansion dialogue will change depending on whether you played through 3.4~3.55 or not like they're doing in 3.4. Would be more interesting than just throwing a "previously on Final Fantasy fourteen" video in your face.

You are required to complete all previous story content before you can access new expansion content.

People who quit in the period between ARR and HW had to complete all the story content during the ARR patch cycles before they were able to go to Ishgard.

mikemandey

New player here. I'm a casual player and not rushing through anything. Anyone play on Tonberry? :)

Is it true as long as I don't finish ARR story, I will stay on the Novice network forever? I kinda like that channel for chat (besides my FC channel ofc) and the sprout icon lol.

My main, WHM, soon will reach lv 60. Leveling some of the non battle jobs atm.

Wilsongt

I wonder if the early expansion dialogue will change depending on whether you played through 3.4~3.55 or not like they're doing in 3.4. Would be more interesting than just throwing a "previously on Final Fantasy fourteen" video in your face.

Too much work for them, I am sure.

Qvoth

New player here. I'm a casual player and not rushing through anything. Anyone play on Tonberry? :)

Is it true as long as I don't finish ARR story, I will stay on the Novice network forever? I kinda like that channel for chat (besides my FC channel ofc) and the sprout icon lol.

My main, WHM, soon will reach lv 60. Leveling some of the non battle jobs atm.

i'm on tonberry as well, in game name is Qvoth Primalbane
i'm not sure about the novice network, but i think the sprout icon disappears after a certain number of playtime
i'm just a casual nowadays though, just log in to play deep dungeon mainly, it's a decent way of leveling up alts, finally got my 2nd lvl 60 job from it

You are required to complete all previous story content before you can access new expansion content.

People who quit in the period between ARR and HW had to complete all the story content during the ARR patch cycles before they were able to go to Ishgard.
Yeah but supposedly you won't have to beat 3.X to get to 4.0 this time around, or at least thats what we were told

mikemandey

i'm on tonberry as well, in game name is Qvoth Primalbane
i'm not sure about the novice network, but i think the sprout icon disappears after a certain number of playtime
i'm just a casual nowadays though, just log in to play deep dungeon mainly, it's a decent way of leveling up alts, finally got my 2nd lvl 60 job from it

Wait.. I checked your profile on Lodestone. Apparently we are on the same FC. Lol.

My profile:
http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/15367275/

That...would be interesting to see. I wonder what their plan is for players to level up to 60, which is presumably the level you need to before you start Bloodstorm.
Either way a new player having to do two years worth of quests before getting to current stuff sounds pretty silly so I really hope they have something in mind lol

Ataxia

So, I guess the general assumption is that they'll make new players do all of 2.x content and then once they hit level 60, be able to enter 4.0? Since all of those level 50 dungeons give exp and stuff now. Skipping 3.x entirely (though I hope there's some incentive to go through it. I still like running Crystal Tower, for example. Would like Void Ark/ Weeping City to remain somewhat viable in the future too)

Dear God, people (healers) who pull massive groups in the early floors of PotD just to show off their "skills" are the worst. Seriously thought we'd wipe on 11-20. Thankfully I have swiftcast and resurrection on my summoner or we might have.

I am apparently on the same server as him since I saw him after the duty waiting for the next floors...I just decided to stop for the next rather than have 10 more floors of near wiping.

Seriously screw those people though, some of us enjoy the dungeon and just want to level our items not fight every enemy you can find at the same time.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Anime rule 56

The end and defeat of the villain or monster should always be done by using your ultimate move while screaming the name of the attack at the top of your lungs.

Exactly :)
ron3Hm.gif

Lvl 1 lb at start and lb3 rez to close it.
Also i meed a rip of sophias theme now for....
REsearch purposes...

There are different levels to limit breaks? Does this get unlocked later or did I miss something?

Ken

Exactly :)

There are different levels to limit breaks? Does this get unlocked later or did I miss something?

Limit Breaks are only usable in a party environment. There are 3 levels of limit breaks, the 1st level can be used in a party with 4 or more members, the 2nd level needs a full party of 8 members, the 3rd level requires a full raid of 24 players, with the exception of dungeons and trials: an additional bar is added at the start of the boss fight.

http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Limit_Break

Garibaldi

I'm playing on PS4 and am curious as to how the upgrade feature works it seems basically impossible to get a new physical copy of the game any more so I will be buying it of the PS store. How does the upgrade work in regard to this, will it just add to my free trial client or will I have to re-download it all again and how does my subscription get added?

I got the physical disc (both ARR & Heavensward) off the square-enix site for £24.99 on PS4 so they are still available. Jam the key into PSN then download the digital client and no need for the disc. The PSN version is £44.99 over here in the UK

Bouniter

Thanks for the replies everyone and Suzu especially for explaining it all to me, however EndcatOmega sent me a PM a little earlier than yourself with his referral code, so I feel its only fair to use his sorry about that, if for some reason it doesn't work out though be sure I shall use yours. Also your avatar is adorable.

On the subject of limit breaks I started using them the same way celcius did as in the dungeons I've been doing (lower level ones of course) they literally never get used. I was finishing every boss battle with 2 full limit bars and I was curious to start seeing what they did is this a big no-no that I should be avoiding.

Edit:
I got the physical disc (both ARR & Heavensward) off the square-enix site for £24.99 on PS4 so they are still available. Jam the key into PSN then download the digital client and no need for the disc. The PSN version is £44.99 over here in the UK

I'm actually also from the UK but looking at the store I can only see Heavensward priced at 19.99 and not a bundle am I just being blind or am I jumping on the train at the wrong time.

Garibaldi

I'm actually also from the UK but looking at the store I can only see Heavensward priced at 19.99 and not a bundle am I just being blind or am I jumping on the train at the wrong time.

Here is the link mate. Weirdly it's only available if you go through the platform section rather than the game section.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the replies everyone and Suzu especially for explaining it all to me, however EndcatOmega sent me a PM a little earlier than yourself with his referral code, so I feel its only fair to use his sorry about that, if for some reason it doesn't work out though be sure I shall use yours. Also your avatar is adorable.

On the subject of limit breaks I started using them the same way celcius did as in the dungeons I've been doing (lower level ones of course) they literally never get used. I was finishing every boss battle with 2 full limit bars and I was curious to start seeing what they did is this a big no-no that I should be avoiding.

Edit:

Limit breaks don't matter that much in low level dungeons- as long as they're being used you're fine.

I'm not seeing any bundle on the UK PSN/SE store either, so it might have been a sale? Not sure though. Edit: Mystery solved.

Apoptomon

The thing with limit breaks is that they are EXCLUSIVELY for use by Melee DPS, and are only to be used if at MAXIMUM POWER and the final boss is at <15% HP.

... Well that is a very common take on the subject, anyway.
The reasoning (aside from 'flashy finisher') is that the melee DPS limit break is a high-potency single-target attack, so they get 'priority' in this situation. (As an aside, some players can be very protective of this responsibility, and get irate if you take it from them, haha).

A less common, but very reasonable convention is for caster classes (SMN/BLM) to use their ground-target AOE limit break on very large trash pulls mid-dungeon. This is because it is fairly likely that the limit bar will fill during the rest of the dungeon and the boss fight anyway, so there's no harm in using what you have. That's why holding it can be seen as wasteful.

Of course, MCH/BRD (line attack), Healer (restorative), and Tank (defensive) limit breaks have their uses and places too.

Last time I saw a Tank use a full LB3 was during a World of Darkness run at the end and our Tank used the limit break cause who the fuck care during that last boss fight?

What do tanks lb do? Make you invincible? Because i only did it for the lols but see no discerniable difference.
Tank LB3: 50% damage reduction for 12 seconds for all party members.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Last time I saw a Tank use a full LB3 was during a World of Darkness run at the end and our Tank used the limit break cause who the fuck care during that last boss fight?

Tank LB3: 50% damage reduction for 12 seconds for all party members.
By that amount i guess its 6 and 3 seconds for for 2 and 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom