• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyOdin

Damn, that's a lot of deep lore. I never played 1.0 so my observations are based no what the game tells me. I'm not so much concerned about what changed from 1.0 in terms of style, so much as what's still referenced in ARR. It does sound like they carried over the spirit of the original world in the important ways though. I'm curious about the actual "story" in 1.0 though. How much of it was there before the new staff took over, and was there ever any mention of where they intended to go if ARR didn't happen?

Well, you can easily divide the story of 1.0 into three distinct segments:
1)The opening quest-lines for the three city states.
These are the best-directed and best-looking parts of 1.0. They had fancy cutscenes with a full degree of motion instead of just using lots of canned animations as in most ARR cutscenes, and there were even multiple full CGI cutscenes. More notable is the plot device used in these quests: the Echo was used in full force. Without being overt, but with clear cues if you knew what to look for, cutscenes would seamlessly shift between the events of the present and events from 10 years prior. The story of the present was that of the main character being introduced to the city-states and their customs, while the story of ten years prior was recounting adventures of Thancred, Y'shtola, Yda, and Papalymo as they investigated the secret doings of the city-states. It was sort of like a much better version of the Squall/Laguna split perspective from FFVIII. The events of 10 years prior and the present were deeply intertwined, as the hero unintentionally uses the Echo to learn about the sins of the past and tried to heal the left over wounds in the present. However, these quest-lines are short and visibly incomplete; all three suddenly end with dangling plot threads and unsatisfying conclusions before they even hit the end of their opening arcs.
2) The Path of the Twelve/ Path Companion story.
This is the unified story arc that covers most of the 1.0 plot. It revolves around working under Minfillia and Tataru as part of their organization composed of people with the power of the Echo. Most of it involves working with a group called the Ash Consortium, a merchant group closely allied with the Sylphs that buys crystals from the Beast-tribes, to negotiate with the various beast-tribes and try to minimize conflict. The entire time, the main character is accompanied by the Path Companion, a player-customizable NPC who possessed a varying personality based on their race and gender. This plotline involved three main story threads: the mysterious "paragons" who were convincing the beastmen to summon Primals, the Path Companion being of Ala Mhigan descent, and the over-riding mystery of the Echo and its origins. The plotline ends with the introduction of Gaius van Baelsar as he butchers a band of Ala Mhigan rebels, only for the hero to be saved by the unexpected appearance of the Sharlayan characters, who disappeared after the end of the city-state plotlines (this is their first appearance in the present day of FFXIV).
3) The Seventh Umbral Era plotline (aka the Grand Company plotline)
These are three plotlines, one for each Grand Company, that were created by Yoshi P's team after he took over. They cover the formation of the grand companies, introduce Raubahn, Kan-E-Senna, Merylwb, Cid, Urianger, and Louisoix, and cover the story of Nael van Darnus' Meteor Project which culminated in the end of 1.X.

Now, it isn't that hard to divine at least some of what the original intention of 1.0 was. It is pretty clear that they intended the city-state plotlines to be much longer. I think the present/past split was originally intended to be key to the plotline, with the Echo serving as one of the game's primary story-telling mechanisms. It was likely going to culminate in letting the player see the Battle of Silvertear Lake, where Midgarsormr and an army of dragons fought and destroyed the Garlean battleship Agrius. In fact, the 1.0 opening movie involves the generic main character using the Echo to do just that. The plot of the present is harder to figure out, but was likely to be deeply entwined with seeing the direct effects the recent past has had on the present, and trying to use that knowledge to better the present.

The Ascians were featured in 1.0, and it was clear that they (along with the Empire) were always intended as the main antagonists. They appear in three different forms in 1.0. The first Ascian to appear looked like an Elezen who didn't cast a shadow, thus the name Y'shtola used for the Ascians: shadow-eaters (the word Ascian itself is latin for "without shadow"). He only appeared in the Limsa Lominsa story. The second Ascian to appear looked like a grim reaper floating a foot or so off the ground. The Amala'ja and Ixal that saw it immediately recognized what it was from a distance and ran like death itself was on their heels. Furthermore, it is clear that the Paragons from 1.0 were going to be ultimately revealed to be actually Ascians, but the game never reached the point where the reveal was made.

It also seems like the fall of Dalamud, or something like it, was always intended. A vision of flames falling from the sky occurs at the end of all three 1.0 city-state plotlines. The revelation about the source of the Echo was also a major mystery of 1.0 that was intended to be revealed late in the original story. Instead, everything about the Paragons and Hydaelyn is dumped on the player right at the start of 2.0.

As a side note, the character models for Thancred, Y'shtola, Yda, and Papalymo in 2.0 are the same as the ones used in 1.0. Except that was 15 years prior to the events of 2.0. So... those four are a fair bit older than they models make them look. This last Christmas event mentioned that Papalymo is in his 40s or 50s. The other three are all in their 30s or so.

EDIT: And by the time I finish this over-sized post, everyone is talking about new emotes. Typical. That /playdead is tempting, I have to admit.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Really, I thought they were cheap. Certainly not as dumb as the mount pricing.
The mount pricing is a whole another story. I remember wanting to get Sleipnir before they announced the price, but when I saw how much they want, I just laughed.

I know that monthly subscriptions alone are probably not enough, yada, yada, but cash shops in non-f2p mmos really rub me the wrong way.

Wazzy

Banned
I took a break around the time I think it was patch 3.2 came out(Nidhogg?) and started again recently. I'm trying to gear up to 260 so hopefully some of the caps are removed soon. I already like the fact Alexander doesn't have a cap now so I can farm 250 parts. I wonder if the Ultima raid will be 250 minimum.

Mount pricing doesn't bother me, I'm used to it since I've also played wow since beta.. but holy shit $7 for an emote? Even Blizzard wouldn't try that shit.

Let's say one day I'm drunk and feel like parting with my money for no good reason at all. What are the best things to buy on the cash shop?

The best "investment" you can make is an Eternal Bond. You get rings which teleport you instantly to your waifu/husbando, special wedding outfits, and a complete quest line you can do concluding in a marriage ceremony you can invite up to 100 people to witness. I doubt anything else offers a better "value" in terms of what you get for your real money.

SkyOdin

The best "investment" you can make is an Eternal Bond. You get rings which teleport you instantly to your waifu/husbando, special wedding outfits, and a complete quest line you can do concluding in a marriage ceremony you can invite up to 100 people to witness. I doubt anything else offers a better "value" in terms of what you get for your real money.

Technically, you can get all of that for free. The cash is for dyeable versions of the wedding outfits, extra bells and whistles at the wedding, and a chocobo mount.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
det/parry fending ultima ring

200_s.gif

I agree with you and this theme gets even bigger as you reach the 2.x MSQs.

The story in FFXIV is surprisingly mature compared to other Final fantasies in the series. There are also themes of racism, political diplomacy and political maneuvering, the effect of war with population displacement and the dangers of blind faith.

The issue with refugees is highlighted even more in 2.3-2.5.

And the Warrior of Light is the pillar for all of this. YOU really are the pillar that will help bring the nations of Eorzea together against the Empire.

That is actually the one thing I dislike in A Realm Reborn (as opposed to 1.0) and something that is also a departure from Matsuno's usual works. The character you play is some kind of an altruistic god-savior loved and respected by all instead of just a competent adventurer with sometimes important missions, swept off by things bigger than them.

The Ascians were featured in 1.0, and it was clear that they (along with the Empire) were always intended as the main antagonists. They appear in three different forms in 1.0. The first Ascian to appear looked like an Elezen who didn't cast a shadow, thus the name Y'shtola used for the Ascians: shadow-eaters (the word Ascian itself is latin for "without shadow"). He only appeared in the Limsa Lominsa story. The second Ascian to appear looked like a grim reaper floating a foot or so off the ground. The Amala'ja and Ixal that saw it immediately recognized what it was from a distance and ran like death itself was on their heels. Furthermore, it is clear that the Paragons from 1.0 were going to be ultimately revealed to be actually Ascians, but the game never reached the point where the reveal was made.

It also seems like the fall of Dalamud, or something like it, was always intended. A vision of flames falling from the sky occurs at the end of all three 1.0 city-state plotlines. The revelation about the source of the Echo was also a major mystery of 1.0 that was intended to be revealed late in the original story. Instead, everything about the Paragons and Hydaelyn is dumped on the player right at the start of 2.0.

There are a lot of things to like about A Realm Reborn's story, but all those abandoned plot threads from 1.0 were really a shame. I also miss my Path Companion...

duckroll

*a ton of awesome 1.0 deep lore*

Whoa, that's all really interesting. It sure beats watching an hour or two of cutscenes on youtube when it can be explained like that. I think it's really unfortunate that Tanaka just.... failed at making a new MMO because their intentions where certainly there. I wonder why the couldn't deliver on the content they needed. When you say that the cutscenes for the opening city quest lines are much more dynamic, could it be that those were the ones that Jun Akiyama directed way back in the day when he was still attached to the project? It sure sounds like they had a much more ambitious event director on those.

suzu

Whoa, that's all really interesting. It sure beats watching an hour or two of cutscenes on youtube when it can be explained like that. I think it's really unfortunate that Tanaka just.... failed at making a new MMO because their intentions where certainly there. I wonder why the couldn't deliver on the content they needed. When you say that the cutscenes for the opening city quest lines are much more dynamic, could it be that those were the ones that Jun Akiyama directed way back in the day when he was still attached to the project? It sure sounds like they had a much more ambitious event director on those.

Here's a narrated recap video of v1.0 (from the ARR CE) that you can watch instead. :p

SkyOdin

Meh. You wouldn't cheap out on your real wedding, would you? So why would you cheap out on your online one?

That's why I said "technically".

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that question. I think it is pretty clear that FFXIV 1.0 was hit hard by both the Crystal Tools fiasco and being rushed out the door too quickly, but there probably a lot of behind the scenes stuff I don't know about the game.

Whoa, that's all really interesting. It sure beats watching an hour or two of cutscenes on youtube when it can be explained like that. I think it's really unfortunate that Tanaka just.... failed at making a new MMO because their intentions where certainly there. I wonder why the couldn't deliver on the content they needed.

Back when XIV first came back and the whole debacle was going down, I was hearing a lot of blame going towards Wada for pushing the game out to release before it was ready. I'm not sure how long it was actually in development before it came out though; I'm sure Wada isn't the only person to blame for the game's failures.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Do we know if there's a lockout on Proto-Ultima items or can we just get a full set of ilv 270 accessories in a week from it if we're lucky?

Koji Fox: You guys want a cash shop?

Audience/vocal majority: YEEEEAAAAAH!

Koji Fox: You sure?

Audience:YEEEEEAAAAAH!!!

Koji Fox:You're absolutely sure? It will be cosmetics only

Audience: YEEEAAAAHH!!!

Koji: Hahaha! Well alright....

New optional items have been added to the FINAL FANTASY XIV: Mog Station

Vocal Majority:
Cb3hsiPVIAAVw9r.jpg

Might as well make use of that $5 gift card i've had lying around for months.

Squishy3

It's that just all the Seventh Umbral stuff leading into ARR?
There was not much actual 1.0 story content.

There are a lot of things to like about A Realm Reborn's story, but all those abandoned plot threads from 1.0 were really a shame. I also miss my Path Companion...
If we want to actually get into it though Ishgard and Ala Mhigo are dropped plot points (Widargelt, the Monk trainer in 2.0, even has a fairly hefty presence in 1.0's cutscenes where he's actively fighting to reclaim Ala Mhigo and complaining that nobody's helping)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Two Lux forms of the Anima weapons:
53EjMnX.png

PSN52WS.png

Sandung actually looks good. I'm not angry about grinding it now.

kagamin

OK, I'm just mentioning this since my friend was working through the Dragoon job quests up to 50 and I was watching them a few days ago but wow
Estenien was clearly a villain in those quests, unless his change in personality was solely due to being "killed" by the Warrior of Light it makes little sense for him to be helping anyone at all in retrospect.

That outfit for Little Lady's Day is actually pretty dope. Best seasonal outfit in a long time.

I feel silly for rushing off to the Mog Station for the play dead emote only to see that it's $7 though. Guess I can't shock my friends.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Proto Ultima... I expected nothing and I'm still disappointed. If only it had like... any HP at all.
I came here to say the same thing. It was the easiest
boss of Dun Scaith
. Oh well, at least it's an easy ilv 270 accessory per week.

Pachimari

If you want the lore and stuff from this world, then playing the game is not enough. You better buy the encyclopedia which gives you tons more info, background and details about everything.

If you want the lore and stuff from this world, then playing the game is not enough. You better buy the encyclopedia which gives you tons more info, background and details about everything.

Would love to, but SE didn't publish enough copies of it or something because I can't find it anywhere for a non-scalper price. It's not even available on SE's own online store.

Guys what do people spend their hard earned gold saucer money on?

I've only earned about 300 but playing the card game I unlocked a challenge that gave me 5000 and I'm tempted to buy a bunch of card packs.

I also can't even seem to find that minion mini game, some tour that was!

Kinda bummed to learn ninja isn't a tank like in the old FFmmo. Marauder is oooook but I really like the speed of rogue and figured ninjas similar.

Pachimari

Worse - I'm in Canada. So I'd have to buy it from the US store and pay the exchange rate. With shipping, it'd come out to around $100 CAD. May as well buy it on eBay lol.

Yeah I had to pay €90 with shipping and taxes included. That amounted to €180 for two of them ugh. I hope you'll find it cheaper somewhere, because it'll be worth it.

TheChaos0

Since I'm levelling a new job while having a level 50, I take it the best way to level up (due to lack of MSQ and side quests, outside of Job quests) is to do Battle Leves and dungeoning, until I find some side quests I haven't done? Is the roulette bonus still there or do I need to "unlock" it again?

I'd say they only thing I don't like about having 1 character is that I don't have access to previously done quests...as weird as that sounds. Also, I want to join a guild...free company at some point but my own guild is called Debauchery Tea Party...hard to let that go, I don't have an alt char to give it off to!

By the way does anyone here plays on Shiva?

IMBored

Since I'm levelling a new job while having a level 50, I take it the best way to level up (due to lack of MSQ and side quests, outside of Job quests) is to do Battle Leves and dungeoning, until I find some side quests I haven't done? Is the roulette bonus still there or do I need to "unlock" it again?

I think one of the best ways to lv sub 50 now is do palace of the dead, also don't forget to do the hunting logs for the class. You can only do one of the roulletes, the leveling one, with sub50 classes so do that.

Btw, as Proto Ultima is in Dun Scaith does that mean weekly run is today again?

OK, I'm just mentioning this since my friend was working through the Dragoon job quests up to 50 and I was watching them a few days ago but wow
Estenien was clearly a villain in those quests, unless his change in personality was solely due to being "killed" by the Warrior of Light it makes little sense for him to be helping anyone at all in retrospect.

He was only evil during the last quest when he fell to Nidhogg's influence. Prior to that he wasn't much different from how he is in HW. Cold, aloof and singularily focused on killing Nidhogg and avenging his family.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Guys what do people spend their hard earned gold saucer money on?

I've only earned about 300 but playing the card game I unlocked a challenge that gave me 5000 and I'm tempted to buy a bunch of card packs.

I also can't even seem to find that minion mini game, some tour that was!

Kinda bummed to learn ninja isn't a tank like in the old FFmmo. Marauder is oooook but I really like the speed of rogue and figured ninjas similar.
Mounts and triple triad cards I guess.

Lord of Verminion is in the Chocobo Square floor iirc.

kagamin

He was only evil during the last quest when he fell to Nidhogg's influence. Prior to that he wasn't much different from how he is in HW. Cold, aloof and singularily focused on killing Nidhogg and avenging his family.

So he falls to Nidhogg's influence twice? Damn sucks for him.

So he falls to Nidhogg's influence twice? Damn sucks for him.

Yeah

The main plot of the drg job quest is that Estinien steals the eye and then roams around Coerthes Central Highlands to try and lure Nidhogg (who had just recently woken up) away from Ishgard.

You later find out that Alberic (The quest giver who was the former azure dragoon) almost succeeded in killing Nidhogg, but felt himself succumbing to his influence, so instead he fled and quit the job basically. Nidhogg would later go on to kill Estinien's family, which is why he gets so angry after the truth is revealed and wants to kill Alberic in the final job quest, because he blames Alberic for everything that happened.

Then you fight him and during the battle he succumbs to Nidhogg's influence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom