• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
God really hoping my copy turns up tomorrow.. Ive now managed to get Goldsmith up to 20 and Pugalist to 16.

So im so far sitting on these on my trail account

20 Goldsmith
20 Maruder
19 Rogue
16 Pugalist
15 or so Mining
15 or so Armour smith
10 ish Blacksmith
10 ish Fishing

I really wish I had done the bloody Noob traning chain first though as it gives you a 30% Xp ring up to level 30.
Are you under the impression the trial cap is 20? I think it was raised to 35 and they never bothered updating the site.

kagamin

Here's how I'm doing right now:
XD47BRo.jpg

In POTD whatever gear you're currently using is irrelevant. Instead inside the dungeon you use whats called aetherpool gear, which starts at level 1. Throughout POTD you will get upgrades for your weapon/armor from silver chests.

Once your weapon and armor both have a level of 30 you can trade it in for the 230 one. It will probably take you about 2-3 full runs of floors 1-50 to get the weapon.

Oh wow. That's quite tempting...Ty

Easiest way to get mega weapons for level 60. Took me an evening to get a 230, and took me another day or two to get my 255.

I promise you that you won't find an easier way to get a 255, without chunks of money.

You can always try and get someone to carry you through Sophie EX. =P

But the Kinna weapon would still probably be faster.

Easiest way to get mega weapons for level 60. Took me an evening to get a 230, and took me another day or two to get my 255.

I promise you that you won't find an easier way to get a 255, without chunks of money.

Yeah, I'll def try tomorrow/when I hit 60. Just done the Great Gubal Library dungeon and got flying in Dravanian Forelands.

Also, as far as I remember I'm not missing any content while I'm below level 50 with just the vanilla game right?

I think you miss some of Palace of the Dead but it's hardly an issue. You want to get HW once you hit 50 though so the xp starts counting and you'll be like 52 or 53 when you reach the expansion.,

TheChaos0

The only thing really is you can't make Au Ra race characters.

Well, that's not a problem because I'm Miqo'te for life! Well, I've resubbed. First thing first to get my 30% ring from Hall of Novices. Was that FF4 battle theme remix? Nostalgia!

Looks who's back!

Jc0mnzK.png

Nothing fancy but here I am...before going back to level 15 lol!

Also I've noticed my last screenshot was from 2013...whelp! What was I doing all this time!? Though admittedly I must have stopped sometime in 2014.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The anima kind of creeps me out it's like a weird demon baby fairy.

Thorgal

now that i almost fully leveled ninja i am now convinced ninja's get their new weapons by killing the nearest paladin and stealing their swords .

SkyOdin

The anima kind of creeps me out it's like a weird demon baby fairy.
It is actually re-using one of the models used for the Gridanian elementals in 1.0. However, the elementals haven't actually appeared outside of their trees in 2.0 onwards outside of one White Mage quest.

Luigi87

Today I managed to do story Ifrit, joint a GC, and get my Chocobo, plus tried duty roulette for the first time. I think it's been fairly productive. Plus I got paid vaca time for work (my main vaca time starts Friday for Zelda/Switch, but I needed today for myself, meaning it'll just end a day earlier)

duckroll

I know I'm still fairly early into the story compared to the amount of story available right now, but there's this recurring theme that I've noticed from the start of the game that has been really heavy throughout the main storyline and it really surprised me.

FFXIV is a fantasy game about colonization. It's not something that is merely in the background but forms the foundation of the entire political structure in the world. It's also extremely dark and does not shy away from the negative aspects of colonial rule and the displacement of indigenous people.

Spoilers through to the Titan Trial:

Having started as a lancer, the first region I was introduced to was Gridania. Here it seems that man is mostly at one with nature and there is talk of the elementals protecting the people of the land, and so on. On the surface it seems to be a harmonic and peaceful co-existence and mutual respect. But as the game progresses, it seems that it certainly not the case.

We learn of how there is tension between humanoid races and the two beast tribes in the region - the Slyphs and the Ixali. The ones who can be "reasoned" with to aid humanity are the good ones, those who are militant about their rights in the forest are bad! This isn't particularly strange for fantasy though, and since the bad guys look more like typical RPG monsters, it's easy to brush it aside as just simplistic themes rather than commentary on how humans aren't entirely in the right here.

But that benefit of the doubt completely evaporates when the Ala Mhigons are introduced. Refugees who are somewhat tolerated in Ul'Ghal, but completely rejected in Gridania. Despite being fellow humans, they are denied a place in the land because "the elementals do not accept them" and hence no one will lend a hand to aid their plight. It is incredibly ironic that as settlers in the region themselves, these other races would turn a blind eye to new "outsiders" when they were once outsiders themselves. But it's also incredibly human, and socially accurate.

As I travel the world to other lands, it becomes increasingly obvious that the game wants to say a lot of things about this fundamental problem - people of different races came to this land to settle and colonize different regions, oppress the beast tribes by viewing them as sub-human, which escalates conflicts into Primal summoning. If it were just this though, it wouldn't really feel all that dark, but the introduction of fringe elements of human society itself sends a lot of these themes into overdrive. There's actual murder, shades of genocide, lots of racism, there's rape, slavery, human trafficking, and I think worst of all, there's this heavy sense of benign neglect throughout the world. Those in a position to change things choose to ignore certain problems because they are not -their- problems or -their- people's problems.

What really hammers this home is that the player is in fact forced to aid not so good people in many quests, and do things which don't quite seem right. There are many shades of grey in the game, and often I find myself wondering why there isn't a better way to do things. The characters outright admit that it is the admiral's fault that the Kobolds are back at war with humans, because the land pact was violated. Yet when they fight back, we have to put them down just because we have to protect ourselves. That's... a much more honest take on the situation that I generally expect from a fantasy RPG.

In the quests during the Little Ala Mhigo segment, some truly disturbing things happen. One of the refugees is raped by a bandit tribe or something, and the other young radicals who were already planning on doing something stupid, decide to fast-track their stupidity to steal the nukes crystals from the nearby beast tribe. Instead of helping the youths wipe out the bandits, the player's mission is to stop them from acquiring the weapons to maintain fragile peace in the region without adding another Primal to the fray. That's not heroic. In many cases, the game seems to favor stability and pragmatism over heroism. Or at least the people in the game favor that. Obviously there's a huge Warrior of Light theme running through the game as well, leading up to increasingly heroic acts, but I think by balancing that with the perspective that the people in the world have different expectations, it grounds the story as one where you can make huge differences in certain things, but you will never be able to change the world itself for the better alone.

It's always been clear that when Yoshi-P took over FFXIV, he was heavily inspired by Matsuno's games like FFT, VS, and FFXII. But I never really expected the depth to actually be there in the story aside from homages and visual aesthetics. I'm really surprised that there's serious effort in painting a land that is flawed, fragile, and filled with frightened people who are paranoid, selfish, and clinging to fragile peace while doing what they think is best for their own interests.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Is the only big thing coming in today's patch the Proto Ultima 24-man?
If so, I guess I'll give it a shot before diving into Horizon.

the_id

I know I'm still fairly early into the story compared to the amount of story available right now, but there's this recurring theme that I've noticed from the start of the game that has been really heavy throughout the main storyline and it really surprised me.

* Snip

I agree with you and this theme gets even bigger as you reach the 2.x MSQs.

The story in FFXIV is surprisingly mature compared to other Final fantasies in the series. There are also themes of racism, political diplomacy and political maneuvering, the effect of war with population displacement and the dangers of blind faith.

The issue with refugees is highlighted even more in 2.3-2.5.

And the Warrior of Light is the pillar for all of this. YOU really are the pillar that will help bring the nations of Eorzea together against the Empire.

FFXIV is a fantasy game about colonization. It's not something that is merely in the background but forms the foundation of the entire political structure in the world. It's also extremely dark and does not shy away from the negative aspects of colonial rule and the displacement of indigenous people.

You're on to something here, and the messy themes you identify only become more obvious as the story progresses. Heavensward and the Dragonsong War lean really heavily into that.

There's the Zhloe Aliapoh delivery quests for crafters and gatherers, which I'm really curious about.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Ahh, no better way to end the day before maint than with a super sloppy Halatali run with a horribly undergeared tank and DPSes who don't know to pull mobs they've aggro'ed towards the tank instead of standing still and trying to fight them off. Oh and not killing the adds during the boss so I had to spam Medica to keep everyone alive.

They were new though, so of course I'll cut them some slack. Was just kinda funny though. :lol

Omni

Joined a random 12s clear in the PF to help out

Surprisingly more doable than I thought. 8 people who didn't know each other and we got to 5% on our first pull. Could have cleared buuuuuut maintenance

Maybe they did make this raid too easy, haha.
Half joking here. Clearly everyone there had a fair bit of experience

Bowlie

Banned
Yes, it's been only 5 years since the Calamity. The region is still rebuilding itself, and plenty of people are willing to do what it takes to stay on top and protect themselves. Corruption, betrayals, horrific murders, mercilessness; few are the characters that are purely good.

As others said, as you reach Heavensward these problems are more and more present.

Also, if you have a nice group to wait for you, most dungeons show interesting sides of this entire problem, be it via non-interactable NPCs, or text documents you can find and read in them.

new relic step, and maybe, possibly, perhaps reducing the difficulty of previous relic steps.

Squishy3

Were there no preliminary patch notes?
There aren't any for minor patches. There'll be some going up at some point during maintenance.

Spoilers through to the Titan Trial:

Having started as a lancer, the first region I was introduced to was Gridania. Here it seems that man is mostly at one with nature and there is talk of the elementals protecting the people of the land, and so on. On the surface it seems to be a harmonic and peaceful co-existence and mutual respect. But as the game progresses, it seems that it certainly not the case.

We learn of how there is tension between humanoid races and the two beast tribes in the region - the Slyphs and the Ixali. The ones who can be "reasoned" with to aid humanity are the good ones, those who are militant about their rights in the forest are bad! This isn't particularly strange for fantasy though, and since the bad guys look more like typical RPG monsters, it's easy to brush it aside as just simplistic themes rather than commentary on how humans aren't entirely in the right here.

But that benefit of the doubt completely evaporates when the Ala Mhigons are introduced. Refugees who are somewhat tolerated in Ul'Ghal, but completely rejected in Gridania. Despite being fellow humans, they are denied a place in the land because "the elementals do not accept them" and hence no one will lend a hand to aid their plight. It is incredibly ironic that as settlers in the region themselves, these other races would turn a blind eye to new "outsiders" when they were once outsiders themselves. But it's also incredibly human, and socially accurate.

As I travel the world to other lands, it becomes increasingly obvious that the game wants to say a lot of things about this fundamental problem - people of different races came to this land to settle and colonize different regions, oppress the beast tribes by viewing them as sub-human, which escalates conflicts into Primal summoning. If it were just this though, it wouldn't really feel all that dark, but the introduction of fringe elements of human society itself sends a lot of these themes into overdrive. There's actual murder, shades of genocide, lots of racism, there's rape, slavery, human trafficking, and I think worst of all, there's this heavy sense of benign neglect throughout the world. Those in a position to change things choose to ignore certain problems because they are not -their- problems or -their- people's problems.

What really hammers this home is that the player is in fact forced to aid not so good people in many quests, and do things which don't quite seem right. There are many shades of grey in the game, and often I find myself wondering why there isn't a better way to do things. The characters outright admit that it is the admiral's fault that the Kobolds are back at war with humans, because the land pact was violated. Yet when they fight back, we have to put them down just because we have to protect ourselves. That's... a much more honest take on the situation that I generally expect from a fantasy RPG.

In the quests during the Little Ala Mhigo segment, some truly disturbing things happen. One of the refugees is raped by a bandit tribe or something, and the other young radicals who were already planning on doing something stupid, decide to fast-track their stupidity to steal the nukes crystals from the nearby beast tribe. Instead of helping the youths wipe out the bandits, the player's mission is to stop them from acquiring the weapons to maintain fragile peace in the region without adding another Primal to the fray. That's not heroic. In many cases, the game seems to favor stability and pragmatism over heroism. Or at least the people in the game favor that. Obviously there's a huge Warrior of Light theme running through the game as well, leading up to increasingly heroic acts, but I think by balancing that with the perspective that the people in the world have different expectations, it grounds the story as one where you can make huge differences in certain things, but you will never be able to change the world itself for the better alone.

It's always been clear that when Yoshi-P took over FFXIV, he was heavily inspired by Matsuno's games like FFT, VS, and FFXII. But I never really expected the depth to actually be there in the story aside from homages and visual aesthetics. I'm really surprised that there's serious effort in painting a land that is flawed, fragile, and filled with frightened people who are paranoid, selfish, and clinging to fragile peace while doing what they think is best for their own interests.
Something else you'd probably appreciate. You know the Garleans? Well the reason they're an expansionist nation is their home nation is a rather terrible place to live.

You'd probably enjoy reading these as well, as they provide some supplemental material to some of the characters:

http://www.finalfantasyxiv.com/anniversary/na/detail/memoir_1.html?rgn=na&lng=en

I believe there shouldn't be any spoilers in there, as the most recent timeline event in there makes reference to when you first meet the Scions.

B.K.

I managed to grind about a million exp after I got home today until I logged out for maintenance. I did two days' worth of Clan Hunts, some 10 point Battle Leves, and did a few quests to get Aethercurrents to finish another zone. Hopefully I can do enough to move along in the story tomorrow night or Wednesday.

So, sadly still don't have my a12s clear. I keep being robbed and don't play with top dps people to carry me through the fight so it's been a rather tough day to clear this shite today before maintenance. I tried many parties today and despite indicating clears.... people can't clear even if they themselves cleared the fight. Is there something missing here? This fight is easy, imo. The only hard part is stressful healing sometimes and 2nd inception. I've been below 10 percent and at this point it feels impossible to clear because dps keep wiping the party during last phase. I mean, what is so complex about the last phase? It seems rather simple on paper to me but I don't dps raids so I have no idea what is going on. They soak puddles and get out and then they are tethered to communion and have to dodge circles, which disappear off the ground in seconds. I don't know the big deal but for me the fight seems easy enough as a healer. All you really do is heal big damage and go to designated positions. It's not harder than A11S, imo and the only reason I don't have a clear is because people keep screwing up. No, I don't want to be carried because that's not how I work. I just want to clear legitimately and people aren't making that happen. I'm glad there's maintenance right now cause my head was about to explode from all the wipes, tbh. Oh and my static are still in progression so I've went out of the way to try to clear the fight myself and have gotten better results. I swear to god... people joining with a12s weapons and dying to sacrament or stasis makes me cry. I don't even trust clear parties where people cleared already... seems more likely to be a trap cause they were carried or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom