• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanrutcon

Ahh ok cool. So I could run in there as a level 5 PLD and blast up to 50+to see what the skills are like, finish a few sections and get a bunch of XP? Im pretty sure I gained a level running 1-30 on my warrior but I wasnt sure.

So let's say you queue for POTD as a level 5 PLD.

You'll go in, kick ass, gain a shitton of levels really quickly within POTD. When you the last floor in an increment of 10 you'll get a bunch of xp thrown towards your actual Paladin levels. In this case, you'll go from 5 to 6 (or damn close).

My MCH just reached 50, and I've never played the guy outside of POTD. At some point I'll need to equip him with some real gear and go do class quests.

GO AWAY

ive had enough of your anti-west coast servers for one game!
I'm gonna build a datacenter and make San Francisco pay for it

Seriously though west coast servers for all of NA could only work if the US' internet infrastructure wasn't completely and utter shite.

Lanrutcon

Anyone notice how the Diadem queues have gone up? Day after release it was seconds. This morning it was between 5 and 7 minutes as a healer.

So let's say you queue for POTD as a level 5 PLD.

You'll go in, kick ass, gain a shitton of levels really quickly within POTD. When you the last floor in an increment of 10 you'll get a bunch of xp thrown towards your actual Paladin levels. In this case, you'll go from 5 to 6 (or damn close).

My MCH just reached 50, and I've never played the guy outside of POTD. At some point I'll need to equip him with some real gear and go do class quests.

Thats pretty cool.

Is anyone else legging like crazy these last few days? I swear I have a 1-2 second delay on everything, even crafting is a pain in the ass.
Thankfully as a tank I dont have to move about too much or wory about getting flattened..

the_id

I just finished the Vault in 3.0

Haurchefant's death caught me off gauard. And the scene that played out was one of the most impactful scenes in a game for me. You really cared for this guys, after all that happened to you in Ul'dah, he stood by your side, argued for you to his father and always had had your back. And then they kill him.

Love this game so much. Hope the quality stays like this or gets even better.

B.K.

I just finished the Vault in 3.0

Haurchefant's death caught me off gauard. And the scene that played out was one of the most impactful scenes in a game for me. You really cared for this guys, after all that happened to you in Ul'dah, he stood by your side, argued for you to his father and always had had your back. And then they kill him.

Love this game so much. Hope the quality stays like this or gets even better.

IF he's really dead. After everything that happened with Nanamo, I'm not going to assume anyone actually dies.

Squishy3

IF he's really dead. After everything that happened with Nanamo, I'm not going to assume anyone actually dies.
Heavensward story spoiler stuff, don't read if not finished.
They've hammered it in way more than they ever did with Nanamo that he's dead, considering Nanamo went from dead to alive in like... 5 hours of gameplay, whereas Haurchefant died about 3/4 through Heavensward. I can't imagine Haurchefant being the guy that gets a big grandstanding resurrection where he saves your ass in an expansion about Ala Mhigo and Doma, lol..

Thats pretty cool.

Is anyone else legging like crazy these last few days? I swear I have a 1-2 second delay on everything, even crafting is a pain in the ass.
Thankfully as a tank I dont have to move about too much or wory about getting flattened..
I've noticed when playing Ninja I'll see the Fuma Shuriken and Raiton effects go out at the same time a lot.

To be fair here,
Nanamo's "death" was portrayed in such a way that gave the story a lot of legroom to bring her back, given that, as was later explicitly pointed out to you, you were immediately rushed out of the room after she collapsed without getting the chance to examine her further. It was easy to use the resulting chaos to cover up the truth about Nanamo's condition until the story let you reestablish contact with her and the Ul'dah government. Meanwhile, Haurchefant's death has been brought up again and again and again, even as late as the most recent story patch in Camp Dragonhead. If the writers walk his death back after so much effort, they're a lot worse than I currently take them for. I doubt either he or Ysayle, the other spirit who appeared when pulling Nidhogg's eyes off Estinien, will be returning alive again.

Zomba13

Kind of the worst thing about (3.0 The Vault ending spoilers)
Haurchefaunt's death is that it was apparently partly because of how different the English localisation team made the guy from the original Japanese that meant they couldn't keep using him or something so they just killed him because it would be easier than correcting his character for the west or changing it for Japan.

B.K.

Haurchefaunt's death is that it was apparently partly because of how different the English localisation team made the guy from the original Japanese that meant they couldn't keep using him or something so they just killed him because it would be easier than correcting his character for the west or changing it for Japan.

How was he different between the English and Japanese versions?

I just remembered I had this tank conversation a long time ago and eventually came to the realization that the actual tanking part of tanking is lackluster as shite. When people say a tank is fun in this game, they are talking about whatever they do for a dps rotation instead of what they actually do to tank damage.

No one says "man Rampart is such a cool and satisfying ability! I can't wait to use it in battles!!!!!!!?".

Instead it's "look at these fell cleaves I can do! It's almost like I'm a DPS!". Or "Dark Knight is cool because I get to use a lot of attack moves in their DPS rotation compared to the other two tanks!". The only tank CD that gets mentioned at all is each job's level 50 CD, because they are really the only ones that have an interesting impact compared to every other tank CD.

No one says anything about their playstyle in regards to actually tanking because there is no real variation between them.

Ask someone what they like about Warrior or Lancer in Tera.

You're going to hear people talk about how they tank damage more than whatever they do for dps. Warrior is a dodge tank, that's the appeal. Lancer is a block tank, that's its appeal. The draw to these jobs is not how they do DPS but how they tank.

That's not the case for FFXIV's tank jobs.

They said that they're going to pay special attention to tanks. I'll know this for sure if they redesign how tanking attacks is actually done for each job.

I'll know for sure that they forgot tanks are supposed to be tanks if they just slap in a bunch of DPS moves for their new abilities with no changes to how tanking damage works.

Yeah that's what Hosanna told me too. I'll probably try that out, and also have a shot of actually winning it without a synced wipe after 2 years old queuing. Lol.

Is it worth investing in the materials for finishing the base Relic Weapon quest just so I have something that looks kinda cool which I can glamor? I'm a Dragoon so it's Gae Bolg. I already have a way better weapon so I'm not going to bother doing the whole relic upgrade thing.

Sure, you can get the base weapon, but just that. Don't try to upgrade it; it takes forever. You can upgrade the Heavensward relic weapon instead, as it's much faster.

Apoptomon

An explanation from the Lead EN Localiser is here. Basically, Haurchefant is expressive/upbeat and has the hots for the WoL in all languages, but the EN team felt that he came across as creepy relative to Western sensibilities when he is supposed to be merely friendly, so they toned him down.

Squishy3

i didn't realize one of the emergency mission bosses has twister

this only further solidifies my stance of fuck the emergency mission

wamberz1

i didn't realize one of the emergency mission bosses has twister

this only further solidifies my stance of fuck the emergency mission

I have no idea what twister is but have heard of its infamous reputation, so when I was tanking him and saw him casting it I had this OH SHIT THE FUCK DO I DO moment before instantly dying.

Zomba13

He was basically in love with the play in the JP version and was like a pervy/innuendo spewing archetype. The localisation though that was fine for JP because they have the loveable perv archetype and accept it but they didn't think it would go over well in the west so changed him to be more straight up helpful and friendly and just a big fan of the player before. The issue is, the localisation team change the stuff without telling the JP team so when they started to build upon Haurchefaunt and give him a bigger role they went in their originally planned direction which really didn't match the western version.

I found the post on the official forums

...uh, what? That's just a theory I'm assuming? Where's that from?
I don't remember them saying that they killed him because of that.

kagamin

I'm hiding
17754480252836380672_9ykr9.png

I guess that's enough complaining for one day.

I've been playing Scholar some more and realizing that I think I like it more than WHM. The whole shielding thing is fun, and working with the fairy to keep people up while I try to lay out the DoTs is interesting.

Also the crit Adloquiums.

3.3 Spoilers

It doesn't seem like a very good idea to just throw away Nidhogg's eyes.

They said that no one can survive down there so it's all good.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This tank was insufferable. Didn't use Provoke (was PLD) and kept moving around so our NIN had a hard time hitting positions. He was too busy roleplaying to watch the mummies in Qarn (Hard) and got mummified 4 times.

In one of the boss fights I had to rez him 5 times as well. Jesus fucking christ these kinds of players should not be tanking.

Luigi87

Did my first Lv.45 Scholar quest. Nice to finally have some gear that isn't terrible, lol.
Going to do the other one tomorrow, and then continue MSQ on the road to Garuda.

Also ran Stone Vigil for the first time for my MSQ with others who were new to it. We... did poorly, lol. Wiped numerous times, but it seems the DPS were spreading around targets, the tank would accidentally overpull (not his fault, some mobs were unexpected), and I was failing at being a good healer (to point that I got my fairy killed during the second mid-boss as I forgot to alternate positioning >_<), but we persevered and had a good time regardless.

B.K.

This tank was insufferable. Didn't use Provoke (was PLD) and kept moving around so our NIN had a hard time hitting positions. He was too busy roleplaying to watch the mummies in Qarn (Hard) and got mummified 4 times.

In one of the boss fights I had to rez him 5 times as well. Jesus fucking christ these kinds of players should not be tanking.

Even I'M a better tank than that.
Barely.

WolvenOne

Well, for what little it's worth, I played the new Diadem tonight and it felt like a considerable improvement over the old Diadem. Mind you, I had to pug it, and the group was hecka disorganized, but I still got two pieces of 265 gear that were a definitive upgrade for me. Spamming it will be kinda difficult with my schedule. Plus, I probably am only rarely going to be online during peak times when other GAFer's are running. So it may be of limited utility to me right now. Still, feels a bit like running Fates during your initial leveling, and I was missing that. So it's nice to have it around.

I do still need to find something to take the place of raiding for me however. Not that I can really devote a ton of time to whatever that replacement may be. But, you know, it'd be nice to occasionally be challenged a bit more than I typically am in a dungeon run.

yaffi

Ask someone what they like about Warrior or Lancer in Tera.

You're going to hear people talk about how they tank damage more than whatever they do for dps. Warrior is a dodge tank, that's the appeal. Lancer is a block tank, that's its appeal. The draw to these jobs is not how they do DPS but how they tank.

That's not the case for FFXIV's tank jobs.

I played Brawler in TERA yesterday for a few hours. That felt really great. Blocking and countering attacks while doing damage was fun.

Did my first Lv.45 Scholar quest. Nice to finally have some gear that isn't terrible, lol.
Going to do the other one tomorrow, and then continue MSQ on the road to Garuda.

Also ran Stone Vigil for the first time for my MSQ with others who were new to it. We... did poorly, lol. Wiped numerous times, but it seems the DPS were spreading around targets, the tank would accidentally overpull (not his fault, some mobs were unexpected), and I was failing at being a good healer (to point that I got my fairy killed during the second mid-boss as I forgot to alternate positioning >_<), but we persevered and had a good time regardless.

Oh weird, I did Garuda before I got to my Job quests, bit annoyed to be blocked off from my Job chest plate till 50 tho :/

Its also kinda odd how useless all the warrior skills are past Defiance. I dont have enough buttons on the controller to add all these marginally useful skills when I have to keep one free for stuff like Flash.

One thing im already starting to hate is DPS who dont focus on my target and who want to pull.
I had one dickhead in that first dragon dungeon running head to pull, running backwards into the dragon that would drop down and flame people. At one point I wanted to just let him die but knew it would only waste more time.

"just use overpower twice" said someone earlier. Yeah no shit? maybe try hitting the mob I pull first and not just going HAM on the other one from the get go..

edit: ah that was stone vigil. I had never done it before but kept peeling away mobs abit at a time, bringing ones into rooms to not get aggro from the patrols, facing the mobs into corners so nobody else has to dance about and yeah people still cant whack one target at a time.

Stuart444

Oh weird, I did Garuda before I got to my Job quests, bit annoyed to be blocked off from my Job chest plate till 50 tho :/

Its also kinda odd how useless all the warrior skills are past Defiance. I dont have enough buttons on the controller to add all these marginally useful skills when I have to keep one free for stuff like Flash.

One thing im already starting to hate is DPS who dont focus on my target and who want to pull.
I had one dickhead in that first dragon dungeon running head to pull, running backwards into the dragon that would drop down and flame people. At one point I wanted to just let him die but knew it would only waste more time.

"just use overpower twice" said someone earlier. Yeah no shit? maybe try hitting the mob I pull first and not just going HAM on the other one from the get go..

edit: ah that was stone vigil. I had never done it before but kept peeling away mobs abit at a time, bringing ones into rooms to not get aggro from the patrols, facing the mobs into corners so nobody else has to dance about and yeah people still cant whack one target at a time.

Most of the skills I use past level 30 and are pretty useful imo.

As for the next bit, dps that pulls mobs before you, feel free to let them die for it :p. As for them hitting what you're not hitting. You get used to it honestly, Flash/Overpower every so often, and switch your enmity combo between enemies (ie hit one with heavy -> skull -> Switch target -> Butcher)

Soon enough, only times you'll lose enmity is in early dungeons and that depends on how good or not so good the dps are :p (BLMs in early dungeons often pull off me XD)

Well, for what little it's worth, I played the new Diadem tonight and it felt like a considerable improvement over the old Diadem. Mind you, I had to pug it, and the group was hecka disorganized, but I still got two pieces of 265 gear that were a definitive upgrade for me. Spamming it will be kinda difficult with my schedule. Plus, I probably am only rarely going to be online during peak times when other GAFer's are running. So it may be of limited utility to me right now. Still, feels a bit like running Fates during your initial leveling, and I was missing that. So it's nice to have it around.

I do still need to find something to take the place of raiding for me however. Not that I can really devote a ton of time to whatever that replacement may be. But, you know, it'd be nice to occasionally be challenged a bit more than I typically am in a dungeon run.

That's the thing. I want them to add something more interesting/challenging to do instead of just grinding dungeons for daily stuff.

I don't mind doing dungeons but I think they need to add some other kind of content to do for dailies that offers something different from dungeons/trials in terms of gameplay.

Maybe a mode like Fort Condor in FF7 where you have to take out an enemy base while buying troops with points or something. I don't know. I guess we'll find out what they have in store in a few months.

I played Brawler in TERA yesterday for a few hours. That felt really great. Blocking and countering attacks while doing damage was fun.

It's been a long time since I played Tera so I completely missed this class.

After looking at some video footage it looks like they have the idea I mentioned earlier. Punch is your standard combo but Counter functions as a smash move, like Dynasty Warriors where it does a different move depending on what stage of the combo you are in.

Luigi87

Yeah. Unfortunately due to how things are since Heavensward by implementing it into the story, that chest plate is then useless by the level 50 quest since it just hands out the the ilvl 90 gear now, lol

Edit: Just ran a roulette and was wondering how the GLD kept dropping enmity (I've been learning to keep an eye on the enmity bars now)... It was Haukke, and during both the second mid-boss and final boss I finally noticed at points he wasn't even auto'ing... ALT-Tabbing during boss fights, I know the guy was just trying to rush through the dungeon, it was obvious from the way he was rushing, but come on.

scy

Inner Beast, Unchained, Steel Cyclone, and Infuriate? End game meta stuff aside, they're generally speaking some of the most useful things you'll get out of WAR. IB ignores Defiance's damage penalty and is your first raw mitigation skill as a WAR, Unchained strips the damage penalty from Defiance (which also means increased threat during the duration), Steel Cyclone is your best form of AoE, and Infuriate is on-demand any of those three. Warrior is one of the few jobs that really doesn't have a lot of useless skills, everything has a function.

Flash is basically an inferior option to Overpower so keeping room for it isn't really necessary? Outside of fairly limited situations (or something to press when Pacified by Berserk) it's typically not a skill worth having around.

Stuart444

Inner Beast, Unchained, Steel Cyclone, and Infuriate? End game meta stuff aside, they're generally speaking some of the most useful things you'll get out of WAR. IB ignores Defiance's damage penalty and is your first raw mitigation skill as a WAR, Unchained strips the damage penalty from Defiance (which also means increased threat during the duration), Steel Cyclone is your best form of AoE, and Infuriate is on-demand any of those three. Warrior is one of the few jobs that really doesn't have a lot of useless skills, everything has a function.

Flash is basically an inferior option to Overpower so keeping room for it isn't really necessary? Outside of fairly limited situations (or something to press when Pacified by Berserk) it's typically not a skill worth having around.

I tend to use flash for aoe enmity when I don't want to overpower too much (aka tp conserve) and steel cyclone isn't up. Plus the blindness can help with lots of mobs.

for bosses and stuff though, useless yeah

Also useful for if pacified and you need something to do :p

scy

I tend to use flash for aoe enmity when I don't want to overpower too much (aka tp conserve) and steel cyclone isn't up. Plus the blindness can help with lots of mobs.

Until you get Raw Intuition, Awareness isn't the most game changing cross-class skill so Flash has niche uses over it. Just generally speaking you don't get too much out of it so it's not something to consider as a required asset as opposed to nice to have sometimes. By 60, you have TP restore via Deliverance Equilibrium and can use Defiance'd Equilibrium (+ Second Wind) as oGCD pseudo-threat generators. I Sprint a lot when I do EXDR as WAR since the amount of TP I actually need to hold threat is pretty minimal.

Flash doesn't blind without the trait so it's a Gladiator/Paladin unique thing.

B.K.

How often (if they even have) does the Squenix America store restock Encyclopedia Eorzea? It looks really nice.

I don't know how often they do a restock, but there was one about a month ago. It sold out in five minutes. I was wanting to get one, but between the time I noticed the email about it being back and stock and going to the store, it was gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom