• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi87

I don't know how often they do a restock, but there was one about a month ago. It sold out in five minutes. I was wanting to get one, but between the time I noticed the email about it being back and stock and going to the store, it was gone.

Damn @_@

Well I've got my hunting hawk, my life has been complete. Is there a way to end my character and sub:p

Wish I had more time to grind out this anima step but studying for mid terms is taking too much time:/

The encyclopedia was up for a bit last time I saw it, I waited too long to pull the trigger through:(

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
gold horse down...

been losing a lot more in feast for some reason even though my playstyle hasn't changed, suddenly it seems all my opponents can coordinate their focus fire to outdamage my heals, not to mention the PLD/WARs running interruption

duckroll

Ran Qarn. Unlocked the Kobold Beast Tribe quests (fucking depressing! wtf!). Did a few more MSQs. Really boring. Unlocked Garuda Extreme too. Overall impression of 2.x so far is kinda... meh. I just want the story to continue, but it feels like I bought the sequel but have to play through a bunch of filler epilogue garbage first. Meh meh meh!

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Ran Qarn. Unlocked the Kobold Beast Tribe quests (fucking depressing! wtf!). Did a few more MSQs. Really boring. Unlocked Garuda Extreme too. Overall impression of 2.x so far is kinda... meh. I just want the story to continue, but it feels like I bought the sequel but have to play through a bunch of filler epilogue garbage first. Meh meh meh!

The first two patches were kind of dull if I remember right. The story gets better in the 2nd half of the 2.x line.

Luigi87

I still have like 55 days from my "free"-ish 74 days, and I bought a 60-day card 'cause I could get it at a small discount compared to Mog Station...
...halp

scy

You don't say. Making the player run Qarn again for no fucking reason in an actual MSQ is quite an insult!

For what it's worth, this was mostly because Qarn was 100% optional and nobody ever really ran it.

Also, alongside this Qarn used to be two Guildhests required as well. It used to be worse!

You don't say. Making the player run Qarn again for no fucking reason in an actual MSQ is quite an insult!

IIRC Qarn was way worse before that patch, and they threw that quest in there as if to say "Look we fixed it". The bees used to do way more damage and there may have been other things tweaked. It's still a boring dungeon though.

Luigi87

It works as long as you haven't subscribed yet!

Oh sure then, due to the numerous free* days I still have I most definitely haven't subbed yet, but since I will be getting that card I certainly will be, lol
*Only as free as having my old PS3 copy that I didn't register until this account + the free PS4 upgrade, lol

Eldren

So I've got my AST anima up to the umbrite step and now I'm stuck because this is the first time I've properly paid attention to healer stats and I'm not sure which direction to go in. What stats should I put on this thing? I don't think I'll raid as AST but for argument's sake, is the accuracy cap the same as casters? I was initially intending to do an even split of crit/det but should I put other stats on it as well or instead?

WolvenOne

That's the thing. I want them to add something more interesting/challenging to do instead of just grinding dungeons for daily stuff.

I don't mind doing dungeons but I think they need to add some other kind of content to do for dailies that offers something different from dungeons/trials in terms of gameplay.

Maybe a mode like Fort Condor in FF7 where you have to take out an enemy base while buying troops with points or something. I don't know. I guess we'll find out what they have in store in a few months.

Yeah, I do enjoy dungeons, but it'd be nice to have a different kind of option for getting your weekly tome's and such. I know there's PVP, and hopefully the queues will be improved when I try that again. Even that though can simply get more frustrating than anything else. Mostly because your individual performance matters less than how good of a team you're stuck with. You can be trying like crazy, make the right decisions, and perform individually well, and not make any real difference whatsoever.

At least, in the big 72-man mode PVP. It can be really fun, but, it's a luck of the draw thing. It'd be nice to have something like that, that's a different kind of gameplay experience you can do daily for tomes, that's less frustrating.

Yeah, I do enjoy dungeons, but it'd be nice to have a different kind of option for getting your weekly tome's and such. I know there's PVP, and hopefully the queues will be improved when I try that again. Even that though can simply get more frustrating than anything else. Mostly because your individual performance matters less than how good of a team you're stuck with. You can be trying like crazy, make the right decisions, and perform individually well, and not make one real difference whatsoever.

At least, in the big 72-man mode PVP. It can be really fun, but, it's a luck of the draw thing. It'd be nice to have something like that, that's a different kind of gameplay experience you can do daily for tomes, that's less frustrating.

Well, there's also Palace of the Dead, which gives out a bunch of tomes, and beast tribes/treasure maps/hunts give out a few.

iammeiam

Solo PotD runs are kind of decent harder-than-DF content that you can do in bite-sized chunks. Bonus is that it only uses your PotD armor and weapon levels, so you can go on whatever job to mess around.

Also TBH Creator might actually fill the raiding without massive time commitment requirement at this point; it's for the most part fairly PUG-friendly, the first two floors take a lockout or two to learn, and cross-server PF has done wonders for people stuck on servers with a smaller endgame population.

So I've got my AST anima up to the umbrite step and now I'm stuck because this is the first time I've properly paid attention to healer stats and I'm not sure which direction to go in. What stats should I put on this thing? I don't think I'll raid as AST but for argument's sake, is the accuracy cap the same as casters? I was initially intending to do an even split of crit/det but should I put other stats on it as well or instead?

Healer stats are a thing; casters and healers share the same accuracy cap, yes, and you'll want accuracy on the weapon if you want to hit cap. Healer secondaries tend to be less of a huge deal than other jobs, but if you want to read a bunch of in-depth discussion of AST relics, this is a decent post getting into one stat distribution, and this later gets into the dilemma of using relic to be theoretical MAX STATS BiS on one job causing acc cap issues on other jobs. So it depends on what you do and how effective you want to be on other healing jobs if you're not grabbing a relic for them too. Mostly notable because there's a lot of disagreement on how to handle it and which stat is 'best', so you can probably ultimately do whatever and justify it but hitting acc cap is also nice for things like primals.

kagamin

Gah, I wish I could finish Zurvan EX with PF (since the most I can get from my FC at the moment is 4 people including myself), but most of the time we end up working our way up to tethers and either get it once then the party wipes and someone leaves out of frustration, or we make it to tethers and just get deadlocked at that Southern Cross for some reason, wish we had more than 7 active people. >.>

WolvenOne

Well, there's also Palace of the Dead, which gives out a bunch of tomes, and beast tribes/treasure maps/hunts give out a few.

I still need to try palace of the dead. I've only been resubbed for a few weeks, and of course, between not wanting to hard-core it and having limited play time, I'm still not entirely caught up on content.

I blame that in part on having to keep up on the tome grind tho! XD

iammeiam

Gah, I wish I could finish Zurvan EX with PF (since the most I can get from my FC at the moment is 4 people including myself), but most of the time we end up working our way up to tethers and either get it once then the party wipes and someone leaves out of frustration, or we make it to tethers and just get deadlocked at that Southern Cross for some reason, wish we had more than 7 active people. >.>

You're on Levi, right? When do you usually try? Also maybe who are you. My FC has a grand total of two people in it but we might be able to help fill out a group if you need.

kagamin

You're on Levi, right? When do you usually try? Also maybe who are you. My FC has a grand total of two people in it but we might be able to help fill out a group if you need.

We usually try in the evenings around 9-12 PM PDT (now haha) but we are on earlier (or later depending), I'll put my character in this post just quote it to see.

I still need to try palace of the dead. I've only been resubbed for a few weeks, and of course, between not wanting to hard-core it and having limited play time, I'm still not entirely caught up on content.

I blame that in part on having to keep up on the tome grind tho! XD

It's not like you have to keep up on the tome grind, unless you're determined to get all the scripture gear as quickly as possible. At least, I don't make an effort to do so.

Eldren

Healer stats are a thing; casters and healers share the same accuracy cap, yes, and you'll want accuracy on the weapon if you want to hit cap. Healer secondaries tend to be less of a huge deal than other jobs, but if you want to read a bunch of in-depth discussion of AST relics, this is a decent post getting into one stat distribution, and this later gets into the dilemma of using relic to be theoretical MAX STATS BiS on one job causing acc cap issues on other jobs. So it depends on what you do and how effective you want to be on other healing jobs if you're not grabbing a relic for them too. Mostly notable because there's a lot of disagreement on how to handle it and which stat is 'best', so you can probably ultimately do whatever and justify it but hitting acc cap is also nice for things like primals.

Cool, thanks man. These links look good. The other issue I have is that I'm still gearing up in general, like most of the stuff I'm wearing is a mishmash of Alex, Garo, Dun Scaith and tome gear so I'm a bit wary of committing to too much accuracy as I go along. I might just stock up on umbrite and then once I've got all the gear I want just blow it all in one go to hit the cap and fill in everything else.

Pachimari

Bought Stormblood: Collectors Edition for Steam today! Now I just need to clear ARR, the post content and Heavensward. Lots of fun to be had I hope.

I had an idea for a new Diadem type thing. It could take place in Ala Mhigo or in Othard. It would have a setup phase where you have to do some FATEs to build up your defenses then once the timer is up you have to defend against waves of enemies with the rest of the raid.

Now that I think about I remember hearing about something similar in 1.0 although that one lasted over a longer period of time IIRC while this would be something that lasts for the instance. Would be cool if they provided some interesting combat scenarios as an alternative or supplement to the existing dungeon/trial roulettes for getting tomes.

They never fixed this. Part of why AST is such a terrible unpolished job.

That's pretty lame. Now I dislike seeing ASTs in 8 man trials because 3/4 of them go Noct even though I'm SCH. And they have no problems with immediately wiping out my deployed crit Adlo with their crappier shield.

Squishy3

That's pretty lame. Now I dislike seeing ASTs in 8 man trials because 3/4 of them go Noct even though I'm SCH. And they have no problems with immediately wiping out my deployed crit Adlo with their crappier shield.
Tell them how AST works and that they're being a terrible player. I mean, it's shitty it happens but there's no good excuse for an AST to do that.

Long time ago when I was first learning A9S in party finder we had a WHM/AST healer pair and the AST said they didn't know how to heal in Nocturnal, which was funny to me.

They didn't know how to heal in Diurnal either. Our DPS who subs AST had to explain to them how Synastry worked.

Moaradin

Yeah, 2.2-2.3 had a lot of filler. 2.3 is when they start finding their groove and figure out how to handle the post game story, and it gets better and better from there. All of Heavensward and the post game story have practically no filler at all.

I always feel sorry for the new players that have to put up with those filler sections in the story. Going back and trying to do it again was such a pain, I feel for them.

Luigi87

Just did Garuda in MSQ.
Everything that happened afterwards... Uh, that went well..
>_____>

Can I just join the Empire pls?

Edit: Also I'm so bad I forgot to cast Protect on my party at the start of the fight.

The bgm is AWESOME though.

duckroll

Just did Garuda in MSQ.
>_____>

Edit: Also I'm so bad I forgot to cast Protect on my party at the start of the fight.

This is the point where the story keeps building up all the way to the end. :)

Bowlie

Banned
+/- the second half of the second column, when you go to Coerthas.

---

3.4 is making me do an old trial again, whyy

This time, it's really neatly integrated into the story though.

Pay attention to
what he says

Yeah, I agree. But... I thought that was going to be dealt with like Xelphatol, or like what happened to
Ravana
a few quests back. Didn't think I was really going to be the one.

duckroll

Oh wait, so when I have completed ARR, there'll be a ton of filler content after? At which MSQ on this list does the story pick up again?

Your tolerance might be higher than mine. It's not -really- filler, it's just... annoying stuff like parts of ARR. Remember when you got the run around with gathering the Company of Heroes before Titan, and the crap leading up to Garuda with the "wrong" corrupted crystals? There's similar shit where you have to do a bunch of lame errand quests for different people just to get them to do what you -really- want. But since it's post-ARR which was a huge epic endgame, maybe the change in pace is forgiveable. It's certainly making me slow down on the game and spend more time with Zelda, so maybe it's win-win lol. Until I get to HW anyway.

I still forget to reapply protect occasionally after ~400 WHM hours, so don't feel bad.

true shame is swift-casting medica 2 at the start instead of stoneskin 2

Oh wait, so when I have completed ARR, there'll be a ton of filler content after? At which MSQ on this list does the story pick up again?

There's important (and cool) stuff in there that directly relates to Heavensward, so I'd call it busy work rather than filler.
But yeah, it can very much become a slog of teleporting to x, talking to person y, and then teleporting back.

Edzi

Just did Garuda in MSQ.
>_____>

Yup, stuff really picks up after that fight. I just beat her yesterday and am finally making some progress in the MSQ.

Pachimari

Your tolerance might be higher than mine. It's not -really- filler, it's just... annoying stuff like parts of ARR. Remember when you got the run around with gathering the Company of Heroes before Titan, and the crap leading up to Garuda with the "wrong" corrupted crystals? There's similar shit where you have to do a bunch of lame errand quests for different people just to get them to do what you -really- want. But since it's post-ARR which was a huge epic endgame, maybe the change in pace is forgiveable. It's certainly making me slow down on the game and spend more time with Zelda, so maybe it's win-win lol. Until I get to HW anyway.

There's important (and cool) stuff in there that directly relates to Heavensward, so I'd call it busy work rather than filler.
But yeah, it can very much become a slog of teleporting to x, talking to person y, and then teleporting back.

Oh yeah. That may slow me down too, but it won't stop me. For now, I should clear the "Cape Westwind" trial and do the remaining MSQs before the two dungeons. Was the two last dungeons (Rock the Castrum and The Ultimate Weapon) in the ARR content hard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom