• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
in 5.0, along with the Yoko Taro designed raid: Return to [N]ier

wcgaDqQ.jpg

I just saw a guy with the cloud mount on my server. HOW?

Wazzy

Banned
Wooooo i finally got Sophia bird! It was my 14th run and I rolled a 99. That's my fourth bird now. Just Nidhogg, Zirvan and Thordan left.

Well, that's certainly possible but I've seen the guy around and he never had that mount. Needless to say... I was quite shocked to see it xD. Has a promotion in Japan started or something?

There's a JP 7-11 promotion. I think you need a JP account to use the codes though.

nier is the best game of all time

when is the nier collaboration in ffxiv

Did both of you just finish Nier at the same time or something?

Wow holy retcon. HW sure resolved that neatly. *cough*

I have to imagine that that sort of resolution was planned from the beginning, since
as pointed out you were immediately rushed out of the room as soon as Nanamo collapsed without getting any chance to even approach her body,
but of course that doesn't change the fact that the resolution feels rather limp. That's my least favorite part of the HW story.

duckroll

I have to imagine that that sort of resolution was planned from the beginning, since
as pointed out you were immediately rushed out of the room as soon as Nanamo collapsed without getting any chance to even approach her body,
but of course that doesn't change the fact that the resolution feels rather limp. That's my least favorite part of the HW story.

When I played 2.55, I expected this exact scenario.
I'm sure it was planned out, and there were lots of hints that it was what it was. They lingered on a lot of details and made it a bit too obvious. It was clear there were multiple parties at play and that some were outplaying others. I didn't think she was actually assassinated. It seemed like a ruse. BUT, they played the entire thing out in such a melodramatic way and dragged it on so much that I feel any sort of "planned in advance" benefit is lost because they basically just took the player for a ride. I don't appreciate that.

I'm sure it was planned out, and there were lots of hints that it was what it was. They lingered on a lot of details and made it a bit too obvious. It was clear there were multiple parties at play and that some were outplaying others. I didn't think she was actually assassinated. It seemed like a ruse. BUT, they played the entire thing out in such a melodramatic way and dragged it on so much that I feel any sort of "planned in advance" benefit is lost because they basically just took the player for a ride. I don't appreciate that.

Yeah, that's why I don't appreciate the 2.55 story as much as many people seem to.

Arkeband

Banned

The only part that didn't make sense is
not cluing in Raubahn, who ended up getting his arm hacked off because he wasn't in the know. Pretty terrible way to treat your trusted confidant.

The only part that didn't make sense is
not cluing in Raubahn, who ended up getting his arm hacked off because he wasn't in the know. Pretty terrible way to treat your trusted confidant.

Huh?
Nanamo wasn't in the know either. Lolorito was the one who pulled strings to make sure she wasn't killed, and he's no friend of Raubahn.

ebil

It wasn't resolved neatly at all, but that's less because the setup itself was bad (there were tons of clues in the optional NPC conversations) or because it felt like a retcon, and more because that particular questline was tucked away almost as filler in-between the interesting Heavensward stuff and by then you didn't really care about it (well, at least I didn't) and wanted to keep on with the expansion.

It felt unsatisfying and not particularly necessary after 2.55, especially because
it essentially reset the political situation in Ul'dah after making such a big deal out of it for several patches.

studyguy

What was Lolorito's plan again? Get her to step down and transfer power to their shadowy group? Honestly the power dynamics in MMOs seem silly when a band of adventurers are apparently going off to liberate and entire continent yet somehow we get muscled out of Ul'dah by a handful of guards.

Crosseyes

Banned
What was Lolorito's plan again? Get her to step down and transfer power to their shadowy group? Honestly the power dynamics in MMOs seem silly when a band of adventurers are apparently going off to liberate and entire continent yet somehow we get muscled out of Ul'dah by a handful of guards.
He pretty much wanted to keep the status quo that he's basically got all attached to his money. So he allowed the zealot who wanted to usurp his financial power to fuck himself over while also sending a warning message to Nanamo on what happens if she threatens his power with governmental oversight. Basically a fantasy age Koch Brother.

SkyOdin

Here is an alternate reading of the resolution of the Nanamo plot in Heavensward: there is some crazy secret surrounding it that hasn't been revealed yet. It is really strange how that scene played out. The heroes went to that house to question Nanamo's former maid about the poisoning, but Lolorito rushes in to intercept them before they can talk to her. Seemingly unprovoked, with no solid evidence against him, he confesses everything and offers up half his wealth as recompense. And right afterwards he walks right out the door with that maid in tow such that the heroes never had a chance to question her.

In short, it feels very possible that the maid knew a secret that was worth more than half of Lolorito's wealth. If that is true, then there is some deep secret behind Lolorito's actions that has yet to be revealed.

Bowlie

Banned
But that would be too much Ul'dah's politics to me, not to mention some characters and factions from Thanalan will get even more importance in Stormblood.

I don't know much about Limsa, but I wish there was something to show about the elementals in the Shroud. What are they, why do they seem to not care about outsiders, but neither Gridanians. Looks like there is some nasty business between then and humans that isn't talked about.

Or just anything else, really; to have one city state way richer in story than the others feels wrong.

studyguy

Ul'dah Politics: Shadowy illuminati is here pulling the strings in the background, but they're super bad at it.

Limsa Politics: We're pirates, fuck politics!

Gridania Politics: What politics?

Ishgardian Politics: See the entire HW expac

It's absolutely true that even in 1.0, everyone got sidelined to further story arcs in Ul'dah. That's just what happens when you align yourself with sub-par citystates. Ul'dah the best.

jiiikoo

Banned
I just started playing the game and I'm loving it. Woohoo. Would love to join a Gaf Guild, but haven't seen anyone with the tag on Moogle on EU. Hmm.

BTW the Guildwork site gives an Internal Error when I tried accessing it.

Guildwork's been a bit weird recently because the developer stopped working on the platform. In any case the site is for Ultros server GAF guild, so it wouldn't be very useful to you right now.

Moogle server might have a few decent guilds you can join.

I see. I'll try searching for one on Moogle. Thanks for the help!

dramatis

I just started playing the game and I'm loving it. Woohoo. Would love to join a Gaf Guild, but haven't seen anyone with the tag on Moogle on EU. Hmm.

BTW the Guildwork site gives an Internal Error when I tried accessing it.
Guildwork's been a bit weird recently because the developer stopped working on the platform. In any case the site is for Ultros server GAF guild, so it wouldn't be very useful to you right now.

Moogle server might have a few decent guilds you can join.

Redhood

Redhood

Aymeric's definitely didn't change in the two clips you linked.

I don't know anymore. I went back to all the cutscenes in the Inn and he sounds the same. I played all the game together so I guess my mind was playing tricks and only now I just realized that ayemric was changed.

GAMERG0D

Just curious but has anyone tried farming a11s ever since the patch? I think I got 1 clear out of the few hours I tried this week. Man, I'm about sick of the fight now. All I wanted was to pick up the mnk pants for samurai since the gear is shared and I'll have something decent if I play it at 60. I just feel the parties are worse...
I did 10 clears in the past week, parties are hit and miss but the ones that have restricted comps are usually the better parties.

Zomba13

I don't know anymore. I went back to all the cutscenes in the Inn and he sounds the same. I played all the game together so I guess my mind was playing tricks and only now I just realized that ayemric was changed.

Aymeric was the one person whose voice has never actually changed.

Dresden

2.55: just
having the WoL being poisoned too would've been neater than what we got. No lame reminders about how the protag's plot-power waxes and wanes in response to the script's needs. And since it obviously wouldn't be lethal, it better sets up the reveal about Nanamo not actually being dead.

Admittedly it murks up the 'let's-blame-the-WoL/scions' subplot and most of the narrative drive towards the player journeying to Ishgard, but just blaming Alphinaud could have worked while giving some cover to the Crystal Braves betraying him (and thus the WoL journeys with him, I dunno). Actually blaming the WoL always felt lame, anyhow; no one cares in-game and if only for survival's sake it's a charge that could never be carried through with.

Here is an alternate reading of the resolution of the Nanamo plot in Heavensward: there is some crazy secret surrounding it that hasn't been revealed yet. It is really strange how that scene played out. The heroes went to that house to question Nanamo's former maid about the poisoning, but Lolorito rushes in to intercept them before they can talk to her. Seemingly unprovoked, with no solid evidence against him, he confesses everything and offers up half his wealth as recompense. And right afterwards he walks right out the door with that maid in tow such that the heroes never had a chance to question her.

In short, it feels very possible that the maid knew a secret that was worth more than half of Lolorito's wealth. If that is true, then there is some deep secret behind Lolorito's actions that has yet to be revealed.

I figured
that the maid was a long-lost claimant to the Ul'dahn throne, or knew the identity of such. Can't remember the exact line.

Squishy3

Aymeric was the one person whose voice has never actually changed.
Yup, basically anyone who was introduced (or got voices, in the case of Haurchefant) towards the tail-end of the patch cycle has never been recast. Moenbryda, Aymeric, Lucia and Haurchefant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom