• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the subject of people comparing 2.5 to 3.5
I think it makes sense to also compare the two high points, which for ARR is 2.5 and for Heavensward it's definitely 3.3 (end of Dragonsong War).

HW didn't place its climax towards the end like ARR but in the middle and I felt it hit higher highs than ARR.

I semi often run Final Steps of Faith just to hear the music.

Luigi87

Been getting through 2.3 today, so I can get to hopefully finish up through 2.4 by week's end.

I really do like the Sylphlands, particularly some of the lighting.
3NJmcjE.jpg

duckroll

Tataru will be the game's final boss in about 10 years from now.

Shut your face she'll never betray me and if she goes on the dark side so will I. The world will tremble before Queen Tataru. She's my queen from this day, until my last day.

Luigi87

Wait till you finish 2.55. LOL.

Also, hurry up, there are some great Tataru quests towards the end of 2.x!
I look forward to it, lol.

Tataru will be the game's final boss in about 10 years from now.

D=

She's probably the only lala I can stand... dunno why. Maybe cause she's not annoying or creepy. >.>

She's a legit fun character!
I try to like Wedge, but... something bugs me about the guy <_<

Squishy3

Here's the ultimate question.

Tataru turns heel, you are presented with a choice: Kill Tataru, save all of Eorzea and your friends

Join Tataru, but to prove your allegiance you have to kill Nanamo.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Why does do Crystal Tower queues take only a few minutes for World of Darkness and Syrcys Tower, but 30+ minutes for Labyrinth of the Ancients...

Here's the ultimate question.

Tataru turns heel, you are presented with a choice: Kill Tataru, save all of Eorzea and your friends

Join Tataru, but to prove your allegiance you have to kill Nanamo.

Sorry Nanamo, if you dying means Queen Tataru gets to watch me take on Raubahn (Extreme), then you have to go.

Not even a question. Nanamo is useless and Tataru is bestest.

What we needed was Shantotto to take over during the crossover event...

ZqwIK03.jpg

Or just turn over Eorzea to best Boss-taru...

Rbh3QPx.jpg

SkyOdin

Why does do Crystal Tower queues take only a few minutes for World of Darkness and Syrcys Tower, but 30+ minutes for Labyrinth of the Ancients..
Six tanks required as opposed to just three. As a tank, I loved how Labyrinth was designed to utilize tanks and give them something to do, but apparently there are not enough tanks in the game to make it work.

Of course, tanks are the ones stuck with 30 min queues in Dun Scaith, so the three tank set-up isn't ideal eithet.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Six tanks required as opposed to just three. As a tank, I loved how Labyrinth was designed to utilize tanks and give them something to do, but apparently there are not enough tanks in the game to make it work.

Of course, tanks are the ones stuck with 30 min queues in Dun Scaith, so the three tank set-up isn't ideal eithet.

Wow. I never noticed the tank numbers before...

Valor

Uh. My dude. You do realize that there was barely anything for tanks to do in Labyrinth, right? There is so little for SIX tanks to do that they're given button pushing duties in Behemoth because there are two things to tank. Ideally that would have been a ranged dps' job to push some buttons and healers. Instead tanks are set up at towers because otherwise they're just junky dps. It isn't a lack of tanks, it's a lack of interesting things to make tanks do.

Wazzy

Banned
The egg mount is adorable and one of my new favourite mounts.

I also finally got my shire belt and weapon and soon can upgrade my body and legs to 270.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
It is mine!

Final run count:

Zurvan: 99
Thordan: 84 (This was a miserable fucking experience btw)
Ravana: 56
Nidhogg: 48
Sophia: 34
Bismarck: 18
Sephirot: 2

Total HW Ex primal runs to get this bad boy: 341

Reason #1 I'm waiting until after SB to farm birds. Fuuuuuuck all that. :lol

You only had to do sephirot twice? What a hard life.

Yeah I got real lucky there, however I actually really like SephEx (that phase 2 DMC music is sooooooooo good), while absolute shitpits like Thordan and Zurvan I had to run forever. >.<

Reason #1 I'm waiting until after SB to farm birds. Fuuuuuuck all that. :lol

Ravana and Bismarck are both faceroll difficulty at this point and the drop rates are pretty generous. If you really want a bird theirs' are extremely easy to get. You can kill ravana in like 2 minutes flat now, its hilarious.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
It is mine!

Final run count:

Zurvan: 99
Thordan: 84 (This was a miserable fucking experience btw)
Ravana: 56
Nidhogg: 48
Sophia: 34
Bismarck: 18
Sephirot: 2

Total HW Ex primal runs to get this bad boy: 341

I ended up with decent luck with birds. Zurvan was the only one I had to totem buy. I got Bismark, Nidhogg and Thordan pretty early on. Sophia and Seph took a while. Ravana took many runs, but it's sucha quick and easy fight, it wasn't too bad.

Thordan and Zurvan were the worst fights.

Nidhogg and Seph were both fun fights.

I ended up with decent luck with birds. Zurvan was the only one I had to totem buy. I got Bismark, Nidhogg and Thordan pretty early on. Sophia and Seph took a while. Ravana took many runs, but it's sucha quick and easy fight, it wasn't too bad.

Thordan and Zurvan were the worst fights.

Nidhogg and Seph were both fun fights.

Totally agreed. Seph is probably the most fun fight mechanically, but the presentation in Nidhogg (especially the music, the way the 3rd phase theme syncs perfectly with Akh Morn is so godlike) is just so amazing that he gets the nod for me. Sophia is also great of course.

I'd rank the HW primals as such

Nidhogg > Seph > Sophia > Ravana >>>> Bismarck >>>>>>>>>>>>Zurvan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Thordan.

studyguy

my blm posted our A12 run for shits and giggles into FFlogs.

Looked at Echo buff statistics for runs these days.

Jesus. Fucking. Christ. those numbers.

SkyOdin

Uh. My dude. You do realize that there was barely anything for tanks to do in Labyrinth, right? There is so little for SIX tanks to do that they're given button pushing duties in Behemoth because there are two things to tank. Ideally that would have been a ranged dps' job to push some buttons and healers. Instead tanks are set up at towers because otherwise they're just junky dps. It isn't a lack of tanks, it's a lack of interesting things to make tanks do.
Behemoth isn't the best fight for tanks, I acknowledge. I do miss fights like Allagan Bomb, Bone Dragon, Dullahan, and thr original Atomos that did take advantage of multiple tanks quite well. Technically, Bone Dragon can be done by three tanks, but a minimum of five is a massive help. Likewise, Atomos was best handled by the two tanks on each team alternating adds. Dullahan was always an all hands on deck fight with its adds.

While I generally really like Mhach and Dun Scaith, they don't really give much for the OTs to do except to grab short-lived adds and absorb a few hits. I do understand the switch away from six-tank raids, but I wish they would avoid giving us so many one-tank fights in raids. I would kill for a proper fight against three bosses at once. Or some enforced tank-swapping at least.

Stuart444

Behemoth isn't the best fight for tanks, I acknowledge. I do miss fights like Allagan Bomb, Bone Dragon, Dullahan, and thr original Atomos that did take advantage of multiple tanks quite well. Technically, Bone Dragon can be done by three tanks, but a minimum of five is a massive help. Likewise, Atomos was best handled by the two tanks on each team alternating adds. Dullahan was always an all hands on deck fight with its adds.

While I generally really like Mhach and Dun Scaith, they don't really give much for the OTs to do except to grab short-lived adds and absorb a few hits. I do understand the switch away from six-tank raids, but I wish they would avoid giving us so many one-tank fights in raids. I would kill for a proper fight against three bosses at once. Or some enforced tank-swapping at least.

Bone Dragon: More tanks = more provoke wars, it just ends up being worse than 'helpful' honestly.

Atomos, ever since it came out (at least since later on in 2,1 when I got to it), one tank just went dps on Atomos and one dealt with the adds. I've never seen tanks alternate adds in Atomos.

You literally only need 3 tanks in LotA. Even back in 2.1, one tank in each group just acted as a worse dps. Hell in BD and that boss with the pots, many of the non-main tanks didn't even tank the things that they could (ie the eyes in the final section of BD, the non-sandman adds in the pot boss)

I'd love for some fights that actually give all tanks things to do (actual tanking, not the meteor shit in Dun's final boss) where if the tanks don't do it, you'll wipe. Just to give tanks that want to tank something to do and force tanks who dont want to tank to tank or to gtfo and queue as a dps.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Totally agreed. Seph is probably the most fun fight mechanically, but the presentation in Nidhogg (especially the music, the way the 3rd phase theme syncs perfectly with Akh Morn is so godlike) is just so amazing that he gets the nod for me. Sophia is also great of course.

I'd rank the HW primals as such

Nidhogg > Seph > Sophia > Ravana >>>> Bismarck >>>>>>>>>>>>Zurvan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Thordan.

Yeah Nidhogg was just an amazing presentation of a fight. And I did enjoy the mechanics of it as well.

iammeiam

This is mostly funny because I think Thordan EX has the distinction of being the only FFXIV fight another MMO's raid developer dissected to praise.

Thordan stands out as one of the best content delivery decisions they ever made--it had an effective communication to the player base (mechanics>dps!), invoked some raid nostalgia, hit a difficulty level the player base desperately needed at the time, was forgiving enough to not seem punishing, and delivered a really solid spectacle.

It's not my favorite fight ever, but I have a lot of respect for what the developers did with that fight, and how well it fit into what the player base needed at that point in time.

Shy Fingers

Banned
singularity ex when it was on-content is still the best fight in the game hands down

I'll give you best fight in Heaven's Ward.

Best On-Content Fights for me:
T12 > T13 > Thordan

After that it's a jumbled mess of what beats what. Really disappointed at the fights in Alexander as a whole.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I should probably do all the primals before Stormblood.

I've done only:
Zurvan Ex
Ravana Ex

Squishy3

ThorEx is awful dude. Its just a ridiculous gish gallop of mechanics that don't fit or flow well together at all.
to each their own but i think it's the best heavensward ex primal easily. it doesn't have any of the stupid bullshit like skipping soar/tethers etc. you had at release as well. the only thing you'd do when he first came out was make him leave early and skipping the last 2 sets of mechanics

sophia and zurvan are not very well designed in terms of dps pushing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom