• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorgal

New Tank move screenshots.

cyHNImy.jpg

Skill:
Rage of the Beast

for 20 seconds all GCD will be cut in half.

Every use of an ability that adds 1 stack of abandon or the other one has a 50% chance to proc a free fell cleave/decimate in deliverance or inner beast /cyclone in defiance.

Damage will be cut in half for 20 seconds after ability ends.
lol

Does Stormblood Amazon promotion work on EU FF14 accounts? Also do you need to get the full game or a subscription in order to redeem the Stormblood code?

Wagram

With all due respect to the departed, I absolutely fucking loathe the direction they took Yugiri's voice acting in Heavensward. It's awful and completely ruins the character.

Kinan

So, finally finished 2.x MSQ quests yesterday. Took me a month of a rather casual play (created a char on 6th of April) to get through the ARR story.

So I'm on track to beat the MSQ before the Stormwind, my plan is working! /evillaughter

Really enjoyed the ride so far, the story is more entertaining that in any other FF since 12. And playing scholar/summoner combo brings you best of both worlds- fast mob kills on single-player quests, and short queue waiting times on dungeons/raids.

All these pictures are making it hard on me not to come back. Last time it was the benchmark program so I avoided it this time.

Also the Call back campaign invites aren't helping...
Thanks chums, really. Life is just too complicated right now for me to lose myself into this again. And I don't have the power to play a mmorpg casually, its always life consuming.

Mr Croft

Skill:
Rage of the Beast

for 20 seconds all GCD will be cut in half.

Every use of an ability that adds 1 stack of abandon or the other one has a 50% chance to proc a free fell cleave/decimate in deliverance or inner beast /cyclone in defiance.

Damage will be cut in half for 20 seconds after ability ends.
lol

Lmao!!! I don't need anymore reason for my Mt to go directly into dps stance for the entire expert dungeon.

ebil

With all due respect to the departed, I absolutely fucking loathe the direction they took Yugiri's voice acting in Heavensward. It's awful and completely ruins the character.
I agree. Her faux-Japanese accent sounds awful (and frankly struck me as kind of ignorantly racist when I first heard it), I don't know what they were thinking. On the bright side, her new VA sounds a little bit more restrained.

Just hopped back online.Finally made it to Azys Lla, still on the grind to 60. But man, being able to play on my couch with a controller is just lovely. Game looks great on muh OLED :3

Gojeran

421J-57IS-VJGJ-LXCP

Amazon promotion code somebody can make use of. I don't play this game anymore and even if I did come back for stormblood I'm sure someone else would ultimately make more use of these than I would. Enjoy.

studyguy

Oh good, PLD gets circle slash back from 1.0 it looks like.
That move was useless back then, hopefully it's not now.

Code:
[B]Circle Slash [/B]
 Spin your weapon fiercely, increasing attack power and dealing slashing damage to nearby targets.

Maybe that PLD holy move is the return of Luminous Spire from 1.0 too.
Who knows...

Daire

Neo Member
Just gonna slide in here as a newbie, is there any point in me trying to gear my BTN before 60? I need a lot more perception than I have right now to complete one of the class quests, but I don't wanna spend the money. Thinking of just grinding to 60 (55 right now)

Oh good, PLD gets circle slash back from 1.0 it looks like.
That move was useless back then, hopefully it's not now.

Code:
[B]Circle Slash [/B]
 Spin your weapon fiercely, increasing attack power and dealing slashing damage to nearby targets.

Maybe that PLD holy move is the return of Luminous Spire from 1.0 too.
Who knows...

I'm just wondering if both of these moves are GCD/oGCD and if they have cooldowns.

I'm just glad to see they are finally addressing something that has been a complaint for over 2 years.

creid

Just gonna slide in here as a newbie, is there any point in me trying to gear my BTN before 60? I need a lot more perception than I have right now to complete one of the class quests, but I don't wanna spend the money. Thinking of just grinding to 60 (55 right now)
IIRC if you can grind to 57, the blue scrip gear is decent. You're right though, it's not worth spending much money/effort gearing up before 60, as you'll just have to re-do it at 60.

B.K.

I hope PLD gets better enmity generation on Stormblood. Anytime I get into an eight person group with a WAR or DRK, I just switch to Shield Oath. PLD can't keep up with either of them when it comes to generating hate.

Edit: I can't, anyway. I may just be playing wrong.

Allard

Does bard get any better to play?

I'm 51 and its got a lot of buttons on controller and just doesn't feel entirely right.

Learn to love switching your hot bars. I have 3 hot bars on my controller dedicated to bard (and other jobs with their own bars). I play almost every job like it was a fighting game holding down the bumper and shoulder buttons lol. Its not explicitly said in game but in order to switch hot bars to the one you want, hold the R1 button and press the face button that corresponds with your hot bar number. It lets you quickly switch bars and you basically need setup up your control scheme that makes use of constantly switching. I put my critical trigger moves on every bar so I always see when they are up and always in the same place. I have a 4th hot bar that shows all my off the global cool down moves at all times so I can see what is up and what will soon be up. I actually still have plenty of hot bar space left for the expansion using a setup like that even though I know overall amount of abilities are supposed to stay the same in 4.0

Foxxsoxx

If you're disliking it now wait till you get to 52

Is that when you have to be stationary and lretry much become a caster?

Something about shooting mobs at point blank range is just odd. I like hunters in WoW since you have pets to keep fights at an appropriate range.

aceface

Learn to love switching your hot bars. I have 3 hot bars on my controller dedicated to bard (and other jobs with their own bars). I play almost every job like it was a fighting game holding down the bumper and shoulder buttons lol. Its not explicitly said in game but in order to switch hot bars to the one you want, hold the R1 button and press the face button that corresponds with your hot bar number. It lets you quickly switch bars and you basically need setup up your control scheme that makes use of constantly switching. I put my critical trigger moves on every bar so I always see when they are up and always in the same place. I have a 4th hot bar that shows all my off the global cool down moves at all times so I can see what is up and what will soon be up. I actually still have plenty of hot bar space left for the expansion using a setup like that even though I know overall amount of abilities are supposed to stay the same in 4.0

You use the expanded hot bars right? They ones you can get by holding R2 + L2. Then they also added those ones you can double tap to get. Even playing scholar on controller with the fairy abilities on there, my regular hotbar plus the expanded one is enough for almost everything.

studyguy

I hope PLD gets better enmity generation on Stormblood. Anytime I get into an eight person group with a WAR or DRK, I just switch to Shield Oath. PLD can't keep up with either of them when it comes to generating hate.

I mean shield oath is our multiplier for hate generation, I doubt they do much other than fudge our potency for enmity up a bit on some attacks.

Generally it's turn on shield oath to lock hate then roll off it. I agree that our snap enmity generation in sword oath is sketchy compared to DRK off Grit or just general WAR fuckery, but all the same I don't really trust SE to allow PLD off the shield oath leash.

Foxxsoxx

While we're on the subject are there any must have pro tips for controller user for quality of life things? I haven't really modified anything since starting.

studyguy

While we're on the subject are there any must have pro tips for controller user for quality of life things? I haven't really modified anything since starting.

Set a hotbar above your cross bars to monitor cooldowns on other pages you can't normally see.

Like so.

You can use the Y bar extensions if you like, personally I just boil things down to two pages and all others blank. So it's a full cross bar, Right trigger, second full cross bar, right trigger, back to first cross bar.

Also go to settings and edit your R3, L3.
I personally have R3 set to Limit break through macro #99.
Like so:

Foxxsoxx

Cool man I really appreciate it.

I have been wondering if I should use MnK to play since the menus are sort of clunky to use with the controller but the combat for the most part works fine. But my action bar is filled up now and I didn't know if two or more bars would be a clunkfest.

iammeiam

Controller playing actually works surprisingly well for basically any job; pet jobs (SCH/SMN) have the potential for some interesting bonus complexity via clever macros, but for the most part expanded hotbars and two primary bars is more than enough space. I have a ton of redundancy in mine--I avoid some problems with the clunkiness of switching bars by making sure I have access to core skills on both of the main bars--and it works pretty well.

It's probably for the best to just accept things will feel weird until you hit 60, since for most jobs you won't really have a stable idea of your usual skill rotation until then. Once you get a feel for which skills you actually need to worry about and which you can forget exist, you'll have a better idea of how to lay things out.

B.K.

The Trial Roulette hates me. I've gotten Steps of Faith three or four times this week. I got it again today. One try, we wiped three times because no one would use the harpoons. I finally gave up and quit on the group after the third wipe.

I mean shield oath is our multiplier for hate generation, I doubt they do much other than fudge our potency for enmity up a bit on some attacks.

I guess I meant Sword Oath. There are too many abilities. I can't keep up with half their names or what they do.

I've been way out of the loop. Has there been any mention on cutting down skill bloat? One of the biggest turnoffs for me lately has been how cumbersome skill hotkeys have become. I really hate having to pin down like 30 different skills.

BLCKATK

I've been way out of the loop. Has there been any mention on cutting down skill bloat? One of the biggest turnoffs for me lately has been how cumbersome skill hotkeys have become. I really hate having to pin down like 30 different skills.

Absolutely. That's one of the main goals of the battle system revamp: cutting down on skill bloat.

The interviews have said that we should have similar to the amount of skills we have now, including the new abilities from Stormblood job quests.

Hopefully this would mean that everything your bar is useful and not just extremely situational, like Sustain for SMN/SCH or Tempered Will for PLD.

SkyOdin

When tanking, you want Shield Oath on by default. The 20% defense increase alone is massive, and takes a lot of pressure off of your healer. You switch to Sword Oath when you are soloing, you are OTing for an 8-man or larger group and not actively tanking anything, or you have enough of a lead in aggro that you can switch to Sword Oath without losing aggro to anyone. If Shield Oath is up, the PLD can easily keep pace with any amount of aggro being generated.

If you are OTing, you have no need to keep caught up with the MT's aggro. Just use Sword Oath and deal as much damage as you can. If the MT dies, or you need to tank-swap, then switch to Shield Oath and then use Provoke. Provoke gives you aggro equal to the highest person currently on the enemy's aggro list, plus one point. It catches you up regardless of how far behind you are, so you never have to worry about falling behind. Just time it so you land a good aggro-generating attack such as Rage of Halone right after the Provoke. That will give you a good lead.

If you're the PLD and you want to MT, tell the WAR or DRK you're going to MT and they'll switch to Deliverance/Darkside and stop using skills that generate hate. In an 8 person group you shouldn't be fighting with your other tank to be MT. I'm very lazy so I'll always let the other guy MT and usually if it's a PLD he wants to. So I let him. My job as WAR is to keep that Slashing debuff up and then Triple Fell Cleave all day erryday anyways.

I'm not going to pretend most of the tanks you run into will know what they are doing though.

If you're the PLD and you want to MT, tell the WAR or DRK you're going to MT and they'll switch to Deliverance/Darkside and stop using skills that generate hate. In an 8 person group you shouldn't be fighting with your other tank to be MT. I'm very lazy so I'll always let the other guy MT and usually if it's a PLD he wants to. So I let him. My job as WAR is to keep that Slashing debuff up and then Triple Fell Cleave all day erryday anyways.

I'm not going to pretend most of the tanks you run into will know what they are doing though.

The problem is when the OT Warrior starts doing Butcher's Block combo because of the extra potency.

As MT you don't want to use Grit or Shield Oath outside of aggro generation in the beginning or unless you need it on to survive a tankbuster. Its a DPS loss to keep it on 100% of the time.

Squishy3

The problem is when the OT Warrior starts doing Butcher's Block combo because of the extra potency.

As MT you don't want to use Grit or Shield Oath outside of aggro generation in the beginning or unless you need it on to survive a tankbuster. Its a DPS loss to keep it on 100% of the time.
It makes more sense to do it even less because the difference between a DRK/PLD's aggro/damage combo is far greater than the difference between Storm's Path/Storm's Eye and Butcher Block.

Absolutely. That's one of the main goals of the battle system revamp: cutting down on skill bloat.

The interviews have said that we should have similar to the amount of skills we have now, including the new abilities from Stormblood job quests.

Hopefully this would mean that everything your bar is useful and not just extremely situational, like Sustain for SMN/SCH or Tempered Will for PLD.

Well, that's nice, though I almost wish it was more like 2.0. That really felt like the perfect number of skills. Sometimes felt like my fingers were twisting into knots playing DRK.

This is true. But this doesn't really matter outside of raiding when you are desperately trying to hit skips or battle milestones. In PUG relevant content like zuvran, you don't know the quality of the healers and they don't know you, just stay in tank stance. Unless its truly trash/mindless content, the 1.5 second faster kill time from playing loose with tank stance for max dps is never worth a potential wipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom