• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silav101

This is true. But this doesn't really matter outside of raiding when you are desperately trying to hit skips or battle milestones. In PUG relevant content like zuvran, you don't know the quality of the healers and they don't know you, just stay in tank stance. Unless its truly trash/mindless content, the 1.5 second faster kill time from playing loose with tank stance for max dps is never worth a potential wipe.

This.

However, a proper OT Warrior will know when to and not to use the Butcher's Block combo, and watch their own aggro meter. The potency loss in a warrior alternating Storm's Path and Storm's Eye (which also adds in a damage debuff on the enemy) is completely negated by a paladin's gain in not having to swap to tank stance or having to use Rage of Halone. And the gain is quite significant, sometimes enough to push a phase or not.

Of course, good luck getting that without a steady raid group. :( :(

Omni

This is true. But this doesn't really matter outside of raiding when you are desperately trying to hit skips or battle milestones. In PUG relevant content like zuvran, you don't know the quality of the healers and they don't know you, just stay in tank stance. Unless its truly trash/mindless content, the 1.5 second faster kill time from playing loose with tank stance for max dps is never worth a potential wipe.

Don't really agree. It's like saying using CDs as a DPS doesn't matter outside of raiding.

No need to use tank stance all of the time. If the healers can't handle it (can't think of a single instance in this game right now that requires tanks to be in TS for anything outside of hate generation) then that's something they need to work on. Shouldn't be catering towards bad because you're afraid of wiping. How else are people going to learn?

also storm's path sucks, kids. Don't use it outside of progression. Gimme that Eye.

NeoCross

Finally hit 50 on White Mage...aaaaand back to 30 again because I mainly want to play AST. Bah...back to PoTD spamming :/

edit: wait I have to complete a bunch of quests before I can go to Ishgard? The fuck?

Finally hit 50 on White Mage...aaaaand back to 30 again because I mainly want to play AST. Bah...back to PoTD spamming :/

edit: wait I have to complete a bunch of quests before I can go to Ishgard? The fuck?

Where are you in the MSQ? After 2.0 vanilla, there's all the patch content (seriously feels like it's half the amount of quests in 2.0), and then a small string of quests before you hit Ishgard proper.

NeoCross

Where are you in the MSQ? After 2.0 vanilla, there's all the patch content (seriously feels like it's half the amount of quests in 2.0), and then a small string of quests before you hit Ishgard proper.

Just beat the final MSQ dungeon. I just read there are 100 quests to go throughh :(

Just beat the final MSQ dungeon. I just read there are 100 quests to go throughh :(
Coming from one of many people who wish they could experience FF14 fresh again, take your time and enjoy it. The MSQ only gets better over time, the post-ARR story has some great moments, the dungeons are cool and good (mmmmmmm that Lost City music <3) and Heavensward is worth the leadup into it.

If you need a breather then check out Binding Coil; it's pretty, the music is amazing and the story ties together the ARR/Dalamud story nicely.

For myself, I haven't been playing it much - my GTX 1080 arrived today after having a not-great-gaming PC for a while, and I'm going to be doing the 3.5+ story after the server move coming up, so I can slowly hype up for Stormblood. Can't wait!

Foxxsoxx

Yeah I'm on quest 58 out of 100 right now it will definitely take a while to go through. Admittedly though these quests are a bit more interesting than the original MSQ and actual plot happens.

Edzi

Yeah I'm on quest 58 out of 100 right now it will definitely take a while to go through. Admittedly though these quests are a bit more interesting than the original MSQ and actual plot happens.

Yeah, and the payoff at the end is super worth it imo.

Don't really agree. It's like saying using CDs as a DPS doesn't matter outside of raiding.

No need to use tank stance all of the time. If the healers can't handle it (can't think of a single instance in this game right now that requires tanks to be in TS for anything outside of hate generation) then that's something they need to work on. Shouldn't be catering towards bad because you're afraid of wiping. How else are people going to learn?

also storm's path sucks, kids. Don't use it outside of progression. Gimme that Eye.

You shouldn't use it over eye during your regular rotation but if you know there's going to be heavy raid wide damage coming up you should always use throw up a path. its not a useless skill by any means, especially compared to something like Foresight with its whopping 4% mitigation on physical damage only.

JGLS

Hey guys, I'm going to take some time off of WoW and was thinking of finally giving FFXIV a decent shot, so I went ahead and installed the game and subscribed for a month. Just a few questions though:

1) What is the server with highest pop count in Europe?
2) Are Jobs limited by the race you choose, a la WoW?

Heartfyre

Hey guys, I'm going to take some time off of WoW and was thinking of finally giving FFXIV a decent shot, so I went ahead and installed the game and subscribed for a month. Just a few questions though:

1) You'll be choosing between Odin or Ragnarok, the two major raiding servers. Odin has the reputation of being toxically competitive, but YMMV. Odin is overall the most populated, though the cross-server party finder means you'll be matching up with players across the data centre.
2) No -- every character can be all jobs. You change between them after unlocking them by simply equipping the weapon of the class.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
was thinking of finally giving FFXIV a decent shot, so I went ahead and installed the game and subscribed for a month.
I have to wonder did you do any prior research on the game before deciding to buy the game?

Not that I'm bashing you for your decision to purchase the game and support the Developers financially but I think it would have been a better choice to try the game through the trial first (which no longer has a day/time limit) before deciding to purchase the game because it doesn't sound like your completely sold on the game/experience yet.

Either way I hope you enjoy your time with the game and if you have any other questions than go ahead and ask us here.

Zomba13

1) I dunno, I'm in Europe but play on the NA server Ultros with the GAF FC.
2) You can be any class/job with any character and switch between them freely at any time (once you unlock them). You only need a single character to play whatever you like unlike WoW and most other MMOs. It's one of the best aspects of the Final Fantasy MMOs, not needing to make a billion characters and repeat a bunch of content just to try out different roles.

Omni

You shouldn't use it over eye during your regular rotation but if you know there's going to be heavy raid wide damage coming up you should always use throw up a path. its not a useless skill by any means, especially compared to something like Foresight with its whopping 4% mitigation on physical damage only.
Oh no, I didn't mean it's useless. Just you know. See so many pug wars throw up path before eye. It's like, we're in an expert roulette. There's almost no damage going out to begin with. You wanna rotate it in, that's your prerogative. But your number one priority as a war should be to have eye up near, if not entirely, 100% of the time.

It wasn't even needed in Creator savage before echo, nonetheless now with 15%.

B.K.

One more week and I'll have my five Aether Oils. Then the grind for Umbrite and Sand. I can't imagine doing Anima when Umbrites were 1500 stones each, or whatever the old cost was. It takes me over a week just to grind out 2000 Tomestones of Lore.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
This was in my email box.

"Only 2500 left!"

0Blc5Ya.png

One more week and I'll have my five Aether Oils. Then the grind for Umbrite and Sand. I can't imagine doing Anima when Umbrites were 1500 stones each, or whatever the old cost was. It takes me over a week just to grind out 2000 Tomestones of Lore.

Umbrites were never that much I don't think. I think it was Aether Oils that were that much.

Redx508

for the new page
5Ig4dkZ.jpg

Memories of Heavensward - Ultros GAF Screenshot Contest

Stormblood is almost upon us, so for the month of May we'll relive the glorious (and not so glorious) memories of Heavensward.

To participate, submit a screenshot (yours only, please) of someplace in Heavensward that you may have a fond memory of (or just a liking for). If you are a new player, get a picture of whatever. I suggest you share your weird thoughts and anecdotes about Heavensward with the screenshot as well. Please include in your submission that you are submitting a screenshot for the HW Ultros GAF screenshot contest.

Players can only enter once, so you can post multiple screenshots but you will have only one entry.

Winner will be selected at random.

The prize is a date with Sosul Mars your choice of one of the following:
Wind-up Garuda
Wind-up Ifrit
Wind-up Leviathan
Wind-up Ramuh
Wind-up Shiva
Wind-up Titan
Wind-up Edda
If you already have all of the above, you'll receive a carry through Aurum Vale.
Winner will also receive 2 million gil and a Baby Opo-opo minion.

Entries will be accepted until May 31st. Post in the GAF FF14 OT, screenshot-contest channel on the Discord server, or send a tell in game to an officer.

B.K.

Damn man, Patch 3.1 was rough even for the story. There was barely anything there.

That's really how most of 3.xx goes after the end of
the Dragonsong War.
There was a lot that needed more development. I wish they had more quests for the story. I really would have liked to have seen the
Warriors of Darkness
story developed more. That story had a lot of wasted potential, even if it was pretty much a ripoff of Final Fantasy XI: Wings of the Goddess.

Omni

3.1 dungeons were the best though. Probably my favourite in the game.

Subbed for a group doing a12s progression today. They knew up to second stasis I guess? Maybe timegates. I don't even know. It was literally two hours of wiping and then immediately starting over. No talking in between pulls about what they should do. Nothing on strategy. I asked about dps positions for stasis and they literally just ignored me (I was on Bard). Every stasis, the dps would go to a new spot so it was just guess work >.>

Like these guys were a static ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

BLCKATK

3.1 dungeons were the best though. Probably my favourite in the game.

Subbed for a group doing a12s progression today. They knew up to second stasis I guess? Maybe timegates. I don't even know. It was literally two hours of wiping and then immediately starting over. No talking in between pulls about what they should do. Nothing on strategy. I asked about dps positions for stasis and they literally just ignored me (I was on Bard). Every stasis, the dps would go to a new spot so it was just guess work >.>

Like these guys were a static. I gave up trying to help them ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

stuff like that bugs me a lot. People who don't communicate and clearly don't understand what to do.

Stuff like that was why I took a break from raiding for a bit. Got stuck in situations like that a lot and had to take charge to get people discussing improvements and coordination. I was already doing that for my FC, so it got pretty overbearing. Decided to focus on what I found was more important.

It can be really rough when people are just not open to discussing how to solve issues, even when they know something is wrong or not working.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Hey guys,

I have been looking but probably not in the right places, so I figured I would ask here. My little group of friends in my in town FC have saved for a big house come Stormblood. Well, I would like to get a head start on materials we need once/if we acquire said space. I remember helping with the GAF workshop a bit and remember a bit of stuff there (COKE COKE COKE) but can anyone suggest materials we can get a head start on gathering so we can have a nice start on a functioning house?

What materials for workshop (most used I guess? Coke!)?
What makes the aetherial wheel tick?
I assume we should stock up on soil for the garden?
What gets overlooked the most?

dabig2

I'm at the same exact step too. Decided to use the CT reward to get that last aether oil and save my lore for some umbrite, so I won't officially be on that step till the next reset. Though I've already bought 30. Hoping to have 50 before the server move, so lots of Gubal/PotD grinding to come over the next few days :)

Now those sands though...

SkyOdin

Hey guys,

I have been looking but probably not in the right places, so I figured I would ask here. My little group of friends in my in town FC have saved for a big house come Stormblood. Well, I would like to get a head start on materials we need once/if we acquire said space. I remember helping with the GAF workshop a bit and remember a bit of stuff there (COKE COKE COKE) but can anyone suggest materials we can get a head start on gathering so we can have a nice start on a functioning house?

It depends on what you mean by a "functioning house". If you just want a pretty looking FC House, then the gil for the house and some nice furniture will suffice. You probably want to have the summoning bell and Moogle mailbox ready to go beforehand, and make sure that someone has the company seals for a miniature aetherite. A Company chest and other odds and ends can all be acquired beforehand. Vendors are cheap to buy in the major housing wards, so they are not a big worry.

If you want to craft an airship, you will need a lot of wood and metal. Cobalt, Darksteel, and level 50ish wood for an early airship, and Heavensward-tier materials for better airships once the first one is finding stuff. If you want to craft your own furniture or exterior glamours, then you will need a little bit of everything. If you put a plan together ahead of time, you can probably craft a lot of the furniture before you even buy the house.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Hey guys,

If you got the gil for it and can get a nice deal from another fc, you should try to get mats to unlock the fc schematic board (fc recipe book). These mats are marked as untradeable but can be traded via the fc chest so you'll need to join the fc, raid their chest, and rejoin your real fc. Without these mats you won't have access to higher lv parts, wheel/stand, or house glamour and will likely waste exp/time farming low lv airship islands that drop these mats. Here's a list of the recipes and what you need to unlock them, note that the numbered ones are unlocked sequentially so you can't just skip directly to the lv 3+ recipes: https://www.garlandtools.org/db/#list/KVvIdgXXB3

Coke, Peacock Ore, Aquasomething Whetstone, Darksteel Ore, Cobalt Ore, Spruce logs, etc... It's mostly ARR stuff, a lot of it though. Like 5 stacks of something to make a part. Don't forget you can get a big amount of gc seals by doing hunts and buying the accessories with your hunt seals and that if you're too cheap to buy darksteel/cobalt/adamantite you can grow tokens in the garden that can be traded in for them.

Time makes wheels tick, that's it. Lv 3 wheels take 70hours to charge.

Guess that depends on what you want to garden. If you're cross breeding for the rarer stuff you should stock up on the lv 3 thanalan soil (iirc).

Any chance you could buy a small house now to get started? They're adding house transferring for SB so you'll be able to keep your progress when you move. Also has your fc reached rank 6, you need it to buy a house.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
So I'm doing the umbrite stage on my PLD relic and was wondering, is it an even 50-50 split between Crit and Det? (Not that it matters much with the expansion around the corner, but still curious)

Squishy3

So I'm doing the umbrite stage on my PLD relic and was wondering, is it an even 50-50 split between Crit and Det? (Not that it matters much with the expansion around the corner, but still curious)
Yeah, you'll cap out both and then have a few points left to throw into some other stat, which I think most throw into skill speed because everything else is worthless.

Depending on your class and if you intend to do Savage content you might want to go Crit and then Accuracy instead of Det.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Has there been updates in Stormblood since the last fan fest? Save from the benchmark.
Just a few screenshots here and there but we won't get anything substantial until the next Live Letter at the end of the month.

Thorgal

Yoshi p dropped new screenshots of new healer skills and a new Drg skill as bonus.

Can't link em on my phone though.
Will link them when home or someone else post them.

Leunam

When I did mine I maxed out Crit and Det and put the rest in SS. Accuracy can be made up with Melds probably if it's an issue.

Baleoce

I'm probably in a familiar position to some, but I loved ARR and then found the patch / grind formula too repetitive in Heavensward and ended up peacing out about 2 or 3 patches into it. I'm really hoping Stormblood shakes it up just enough to make it feel fresh again. I also miss my 8 person weekend static. But the reason everyone left is because we realised nobody wanted to login and play during the week, and didn't enjoy the gear grind, so it seemed a bit of a waste.

Just to be sure there's no way to get the cloud mount in the US now that the Amazon promotion ended right? Really thought it was a longer promotion and I want that cloud.

iammeiam

Some dude on Reddit did a lot of log comparisons to come up with something of a picture of the A12S-clearing community.

I don't think he found anything truly shocking, and most of it lines up with the common sense belief for things--party comps at the 'upper end' of raiding were very heavily tilted towards jobs in the optimal meta (although the full optimal comp didn't kick into dominance until 95%), which is sort of inevitable in a game that aims to be so streamlined and simplified. The lack of choice means eventually math is just going to win out for speedkills, which will push certain jobs.

Aside from that, once you get to the 'average' clears around the seventy fifth percentile, jobs are usually decently well represented. For all the tiny violins being played for monks during 3.4-3.5, they showed up decently once you got outside of the speedkill comps. WAR continues to be OP as fuck; PLD has the struggle until you get down to the 65% and then their usage picks up. WHM is behind AST and SCH at the upper end, but still has a presence and picks up around 75%. BRD and MCH are overrepresented at the upper tiers due to Optimal Comp including both, but it falls off once you get to groups with the conventional wisdom comp of one physical ranged--basically BRD and MCH benefit unfairly from the current meta, but it hasn't seeped into player consciousness to the point of changing the basic way groups form.

It's largely interesting because aside from the inevitable WAR dominance and PLD being noticeably disadvantaged, in terms of just raiding to get clears there's no real evidence that the general obsession with Optimal Meta really restricted who was clearing stuff. This is arguably the best state that can exist with FFXIV's combat system--somebody will always be better, somebody will always be worse, but if they can keep everyone perfectly functional and just swap out who's in The Best Comp between tiers that may be the closest to 'fair' we get.

Kudo

Just to be sure there's no way to get the cloud mount in the US now that the Amazon promotion ended right? Really thought it was a longer promotion and I want that cloud.

I have my US codes unused and if you have friends in Germany willing to drink some Dr Pepper for you we can do a trade.
EDIT: Actually looks like he would need to drink 24 cans for the rewards.. I'm amazed at the gap between US and EU promotions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom