• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilsongt

Bought Atlier Sophie a couple of days before the 14 promotion ended. Got no codes. Emailed Amazon and they said there was no record of the promotion code for this item.

Oh well. I coulda done worse on a game.

Clipse

Bought Atlier Sophie a couple of days before the 14 promotion ended. Got no codes. Emailed Amazon and they said there was no record of the promotion code for this item.

Oh well. I coulda done worse on a game.
Have you tried talking to a rep over live chat? Bought a $20 Battle.net code 4 hours before the promo ended and got my FFXIV immediately after talking with a rep since I didn't want to wait the 48 hours.

Never showing any Ninja love. Am I playing the class no one cares about? All I ever see is DRG, BRD, BLM.

This is in reference to SB teaser photos and my experience in game.

Ninja is just... bleh.

I'm going to switch to SAM or RDM. Once SB comes out.

This class frels damn complicated, but it's the only one I've played. So no experience with the other side to compare. Just listing out all the NIN rotations plus ninjutsu combos it bloats up like crazy.

iammeiam

Never showing any Ninja love. Am I playing the class no one cares about? All I ever see is DRG, BRD, BLM.

This is in reference to SB teaser photos and my experience in game.

Ninja's position in the game itself is super strong; they're not flavor of the month right now (HW was the DRG hype expansion, SB is shaping up for monk hype, and NIN's later implementation meant they had a big moment in the sun in late ARR), but they're decent damage and some of the best utility in the game.

Their lack of presence in some of the teaser stuff is one thing, but ninjas are in really good shape in the actual game itself.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Some new wallpapers: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/a057d8a417127d984872181f873dae092c1ce1e8

ffxiv_spw37001_2880x2560.jpg

NIN is by far the most sought after melee class for people looking to do higher-end content. There will usually be a DPS slot locked to NIN in most PFs doing relevant content.

But DRG is more popular overall because its the easiest to play. And also probably because it looks cool.

I understand what they were trying to go for but some of the heads that are supposed to be closer to the viewer look a bit strange, it's still good though.

Also this confirms that Paladins will be able to put their shield on their back and wield their sword with one hand on sword/blade.

New stance confirmed.

suzu

The only Akihiko Yoshida art from that link is the one with the Heavensward logo and maaaybe the Garlean samurai. Edit: Oh wait the latter is CG. Was viewing on mobile. lol

The one with all the FF14 jobs looks more like Tsubasa Masao's art. He also did the Tactics Ogre: LUCT cover art which has the same composition (another game that they both worked on). :p

Well, they both have very similar styles. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Allard

Its literally the ARR Jobs concept wheel wallpaper that was released the month they announced Scholar at E3, they added in the 6 jobs that were created since its inception. They basically just composited the old jobs concept in a new 'wheel' and added Ninja, Samurai, Astrologian, Dark Knight, Red Mage and Machinist, those are the only new pieces of that wheel we hadn't seen before.

Edit: actually it was one of the boxarts they used in Japan too for ARR. It had all 9 jobs including SMN and SCH in a wheel with other adventuring players in the background, its just an update from that concept art, its also why I think a portion of looks really photo-shopped on there rather then a coherent piece of art.

febLey

Do you guys think it's possible to complete the main story from 2.1 - 3.5 until the release of Stormblood?

My girlfriend and I we have just completed the main story from ARR and a few missions further and I'd like to participate at the launch of Stormblood.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Do you guys think it's possible to complete the main story from 2.1 - 3.5 until the release of Stormblood?

My girlfriend and I we have just completed the main story from ARR and a few missions further and I'd like to participate at the launch of Stormblood.

Yes, but you'll have to play quite a bit.

Omni

Yes, but you'll have to play quite a bit.

Yeah, at this point you'd be grinding non-stop to get there.

In my opinion it's not really worth it. Also remember that there will probably be 4-6 months between 4.0 and 4.1 or whatever, so there's no reason to rush. Plenty of time to catch up when the expansion hits.

3.0 is actually kind of amazing too, so even less reason to rush through.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Well no I don't agree with that at least. There's something to be said about doing things in launch day with everyone else it's quite a different experience from playing catch up while people are milling about in end game waiting for the next patch.

There's been rumors of a "skip potion" like the ones used in the Korean and Chinese (?) version where you can just bypass the MSQ content. In typical S-E fashion they're keeping these things under wraps so we can't really form a plan but even if you don't manage to finished 3.5 by Stormblood there's still a chance you can use one of those potions to make the launch.

NIN is by far the most sought after melee class for people looking to do higher-end content. There will usually be a DPS slot locked to NIN in most PFs doing relevant content.

But DRG is more popular overall because its the easiest to play. And also probably because it looks cool.

I am more than my Trick Attack!

Killthee

Yes, absolutely. You'll need some crafted gear though once you hit 3.0 to skip the gear grind. Are you in the GAF Ultros fc?

Read this on reddit today and I thought it was a good question.

"Why are hard mode dungeons the same difficulty as the story ones?".

I couldn't think of an answer.

I don't think I 've ever played a HM dungeon and thought "wow this one is harder than the previous one" more like "here's a dungeon in the same general area but with different enemies and bosses".

iammeiam

And armor crush, gut check, multilate, umm I dunno 3 other debuffs?

I only cast shade walker on the healer.

Mug!

Shadewalker the wrong tank on pull or tank swap for maximum entertainment

Goad the healer when they sprint so when the monk starts bottoming out you can just go "SORRY ON CD"

Omni

I don't think I 've ever played a HM dungeon and thought "wow this one is harder than the previous one" more like "here's a dungeon in the same general area but with different enemies and bosses".

because people can barely make it through the normal modes half the time

Yeah. I honestly wouldn't mind if they cut down on the amount of dungeons and diverted that power towards something else.

Maybe that coliseum idea I've been kicking around for a while.

It would be setup so you can queue as a spectator or entrant (up to party of 4). If you are a spectator you can bet some type of currency on the team that's fighting. Maybe even give the audience some type of thing they can acquire that would let them help or hurt the team fighting. Then you get a payout at the end based on how the fighting team did.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
In my 2 and a half years of playing this game, the amount of completely failed DF groups for dungeons has been in the minority.

From what I played these days, they should expand the Palace of the Dead idea, is more fun than actual dungeons, maybe because is more inmediate and cuts a lot of fat that plagues more dungeons.

Normal dungeons are very boring to repeat several times, that effort in creating HM dungeons that just adds silly gimmicks to the NM dungeons could be used to improve PotD and something more hardcore/midcore players could enjoy.

I don't mind dungeons in moderation (if you try to grind them then yeah, they'll get old fast), but I would like to see more free-form co-op content. I like Palace of the Dead, but I was also impressed by last year's Halloween event, which used the map of Haukke Manor for scavanger hunt-like activities which required people to communicate with each other to solve. I'd like to see more of those sorts of ideas, that depart from the boss-centric dungeons/trials/raids.

Omni

In my 2 and a half years of playing this game, the amount of completely failed DF groups for dungeons has been in the minority.

Haha, okay okay. A bit of an exaggeration on my part xD

I'd wager the majority simply don't care about or even want harder dungeons though. They're simply a means to grind tomes

iammeiam

PotD post-180 is honestly more tense than anything in Creator Savage. After 150 stuff starts hitting pretty hard, and by the last set of floors things have mechanics that edge on one-shot territory and the RNG nature of spawns means there's some unpredictability to it.

I cannot stress enough how much I hope they expand on the type of content the last quarter of PotD is; the slog from 51-150 to get back to the fun stuff is unfortunate, but the existence of stuff that can kill you and isn't totally scripted is pretty nice.

Unrelated, this is happening for anyone living the Steam copy life:

We previously answered that there were no plans for a physical Collector's Edition on Steam. We're pleased to announce that due to popular demand, we've created a limited number of physical Steam Stormblood Collector's Editions. Stay tuned for more info!

POTD 101-200 is the hard 4man content everyone wanted.

Yeah but it requires too much to get into.

Finding 3 randoms that won't leave a group they have no investment in whenever they want doesn't sound appealing or worth it to me when the barrier for entry to things like Extreme Trials is incredibly small in comparison.

Basically any content that almost practically requires you to have friends is something I won't do.

Maybe if the year was 2004 I wouldn't have a problem with it but it's an automatic pass to me now.

iammeiam

I've never gone past 100 in a full group; I'll extoll the virtues of the flexible party size because that's a key part of what makes PotD good to me. You can get pretty far solo on the right job and working out how to do so can be decent solo fun, and you can clear the whole thing with one other person. The size of the party morphs the challenges a little--fewer people body pulling or stomping on luring traps, but also no backup when stuff goes south, and on the later floors the instance timer becomes the biggest enemy as you try to figure out where you can rush to still make it through in time. I'm pretty sure 180 Behemoth's meteor spam is harder to heal in a full group although maybe having actual DPS means you don't ever see more than the first cast. Pomander usage is considerably more important, you'll have to do a little more strategizing, etc.

I do still think they should let people random queue in and then hate each other forever when they keep wiping later, but the existing setup is incredibly flexible and the whole thing is definitely tuned to be beatable without a full party.

LordKasual

Banned
Welp, stormblood is coming and i feel like a loser if i'm not in Alex gear by the time it drops

Just cleared A9 savage today. looking forward to the others

Zomba13

Because they are a higher level.

Hello! Friend of mine was getting back into this for the new expansion coming out. I've never played or bought XIV before. Would anyone have any suggestions on the best bang for your buck way to start out if I have to buy all of the expansions leading to pre-ordering the new one?

Ideally I like games bought on steam but if it's a real deal else where that would be fine. From my understanding, there is a steam and non-steam version.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Hello! Friend of mine was getting back into this for the new expansion coming out. I've never played or bought XIV before. Would anyone have any suggestions on the best bang for your buck way to start out if I have to buy all of the expansions leading to pre-ordering the new one?

Ideally I like games bought on steam but if it's a real deal else where that would be fine. From my understanding, there is a steam and non-steam version.

Buying Stormblood gets you Heavensward as well, so really you just need the base game + Stormblood.

Squishy3

Getting non-steam is best in the long run since you're locked to steam for everything, so you'd be at the mercy of steam sales for the game, when it goes on sale elsewhere constantly while not all that often on steam.

Killthee

Just repeating what the two above post are saying, cheaper if you go non steam and the new expansion includes the old one as well so you can buy the base game and the new expansion when it comes out.

Also wanted to add there's a free trial you can play up to lv 35 for as long as you want.

http://freetrial.finalfantasyxiv.com/na/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom